Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
There is something inexplicable about this team.

Leading the bottom feeders 4-0, they let them crawl back twice.

Thankfully they salvaged the bonus point in OT.

It should never had got to this . Nope .

More consistently inconsistent than I'd like .

Reactions: OSattackfan

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Certainly not the prettiest game this season. Got lucky we got out of there with the 2nd point.

As this season has progressed. I've noticed a big trend with this team in regards to the special teams side of the game and tonight was no exception. It appears that the power-play and penalty-kills are complete opposite end of the success rates most nights. Luckily we got out of the EIA with the second point. As we get down to the 2nd half and the trade-deadline behind us the team can settle down a bit and get in a groove with getting points.

Small Sample Size of the last 5 games

PP %
66% @ ERI (OTW)
0% @ NIAG (W)
33% @ OTT (L)
0% @ KGN (W)
0% @ PTBO (L)

PK %
100% @ ERI
100% @ NIAG
75% @ OTT
50% @ KGN
67% @ PTBO

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
There is something inexplicable about this team.

Leading the bottom feeders 4-0, they let them crawl back twice.

Thankfully they salvaged the bonus point in OT.

It should never had got to this . Nope .

More consistently inconsistent than I'd like .
This has been the trend all year. It's like they're allergic to playing a full 60 minutes. It was pretty one sided for the first 25 minutes or so and then they just took their foot off the gas. Starts on the Erie first goal Barlow eases up on the back check with Rogers defending the play and the rookie D doesn't close the gap to the shooter who gets a good look to the net. When the Attack are at their best they defend aggressively as a 5 man unit.

I still don't understand the Seed-Sedley pairing. They start the hockey game and take turns turning it over deep in our zone playing pitch and catch behind the net. Way too casual with the puck in the defensive zone for my liking.

I thought Chenard looked good early but goal 4 against was ugly. It just went right through him from long range. I didn't like goal 5 either as he was clearly cheating to his left and got caught off guard with the quick backhand through his legs. I know he didn't see a whole lot of rubber against Niagara but still seemed strange to go back to him in the back to back scenario with how they have split the goal tending duties all year. I think the only other time Chenard went back to back nights was Oshawa and North Bay. I would think with the schedule over the next week Chenard likely plays all 4 games including the back to back London/Peterborough weekend set. We're going to need him to be sharp.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
This has been the trend all year. It's like they're allergic to playing a full 60 minutes. It was pretty one sided for the first 25 minutes or so and then they just took their foot off the gas. Starts on the Erie first goal Barlow eases up on the back check with Rogers defending the play and the rookie D doesn't close the gap to the shooter who gets a good look to the net. When the Attack are at their best they defend aggressively as a 5 man unit.

I still don't understand the Seed-Sedley pairing. They start the hockey game and take turns turning it over deep in our zone playing pitch and catch behind the net. Way too casual with the puck in the defensive zone for my liking.

I thought Chenard looked good early but goal 4 against was ugly. It just went right through him from long range. I didn't like goal 5 either as he was clearly cheating to his left and got caught off guard with the quick backhand through his legs. I know he didn't see a whole lot of rubber against Niagara but still seemed strange to go back to him in the back to back scenario with how they have split the goal tending duties all year. I think the only other time Chenard went back to back nights was Oshawa and North Bay. I would think with the schedule over the next week Chenard likely plays all 4 games including the back to back London/Peterborough weekend set. We're going to need him to be sharp.
They were real lucky to get the bonus point but it was a big point. They need to figure out how to play 60 full minutes. I think Votary will get at least a game next week I know technically its the week after but next weekend we are in London Fri then Petes and 67's Sat,Sun. Add to that Guelph tomorrow and Barrie Tues a real tough stretch for sure.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Did anyone else notice about 1 minute before Eries first goal it almost appeared Chennard tweaked his right knee? Moments later they scored.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Did anyone else notice about 1 minute before Eries first goal it almost appeared Chennard tweaked his right knee? Moments later they scored.
I caught that as it happened. He made an awkward stop and came up flexing and stretching the knee/leg. He seemed to be shaking it out the rest of the game so could have tweaked or reinjured himself.

They were real lucky to get the bonus point but it was a big point. They need to figure out how to play 60 full minutes. I think Votary will get at least a game next week I know technically its the week after but next weekend we are in London Fri then Petes and 67's Sat,Sun. Add to that Guelph tomorrow and Barrie Tues a real tough stretch for sure.
It's an ugly stretch of games. We'll find out exactly what kind of team we have. The three in three weekend is especially brutal. I initially missed the 67s game on Sunday when I was looking at the schedule. Votary will get a start in there for sure. National TV broadcast on Saturday is what made me think Chenard would go back to back Friday/Saturday.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Colby Barlow broke 100 career pts. tonight, vs . Guelph. 2G , 1 A. in 95 games.

He is a special player .

He is not yet 18.
Screenshot_20230114-230213_Chrome.jpg

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Top 6 looked great, Votary was ok. Defense had some lapses but hung in there. Good crowd.
Tough week coming up, who gets the bulk of the net time?

Top 6 looked great, Votary was ok. Defense had some lapses but hung in there. Good crowd.
Line with 10 and 25 looked a bit awkward. Maybe a bit better with 20 out there.

OSAfan

Jan 15, 2023
I think they wanted 'hockey deals', which is what the Kingston deal was, and its not like there were many options out there for that. Getting a good 04 for an 03 would have been perfect.

Agree, thats why it hurts a bit. Jordan is fine, but not a long term piece.

Interesting to see what the Luddington player looks like?

A little on Luddington

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Line with 10 and 25 looked a bit awkward. Maybe a bit better with 20 out there.
I think getting some practice time together should help adjusting to the new teammates and line mates. I like the usage of the Stewart-Lawrence-Hookey line to start periods or when there is a bit of a lull in the game that they came come out and provide a bit of a spark. The coaching staff swapped Papais for Stewart at times during the game in key situations which I liked as well. The fourth line was the best it has been all season as I think they generated 3-4 good scoring chances and played with high pace and compete.

Goaltending I think comes down to who is playing better at this point. I would expect Chenard gets Tuesday against Barrie and provided he plays to his capabilities should be in line to start Friday in London. Votary likely plays Saturday against Peterborough and then Ottawa is a toss up but would lean towards Chenard. I don't think you can really declare a true number 1 at this point. Unless one of the goalies starts outplaying the other by a wide margin to take the net I would be fine with more of an even split.

Generally some positive trends of late. The team has had significantly better starts to games and has scored the first goal in the past three games. Something positive to build off of going into a tough stretch. The team took care of business collecting a big 6 of 6 points prior to the next four games.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Also found a few videos his father posted on Facebook. These are from Wednesday's game against Leamington the day after the Attack acquired his rights...

I was in process of watching this game to see Luddington but those videos are great. Kind of confirms my initial thought that this trade with Stewart and a 3rd was a very good trade but if Luddington could come in and crack our lineup next season this could become a great trade. And I should add I love Cal Uens but come on adding some much needed grit a 3rd and possibly still have a PP quarterback but with a little more size.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I think getting some practice time together should help adjusting to the new teammates and line mates. I like the usage of the Stewart-Lawrence-Hookey line to start periods or when there is a bit of a lull in the game that they came come out and provide a bit of a spark. The coaching staff swapped Papais for Stewart at times during the game in key situations which I liked as well. The fourth line was the best it has been all season as I think they generated 3-4 good scoring chances and played with high pace and compete.

Goaltending I think comes down to who is playing better at this point. I would expect Chenard gets Tuesday against Barrie and provided he plays to his capabilities should be in line to start Friday in London. Votary likely plays Saturday against Peterborough and then Ottawa is a toss up but would lean towards Chenard. I don't think you can really declare a true number 1 at this point. Unless one of the goalies starts outplaying the other by a wide margin to take the net I would be fine with more of an even split.

Generally some positive trends of late. The team has had significantly better starts to games and has scored the first goal in the past three games. Something positive to build off of going into a tough stretch. The team took care of business collecting a big 6 of 6 points prior to the next four games.
My gut tells me Votary Tuesday and Saturday, Ricky Friday , Sunday.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
My gut tells me Votary Tuesday and Saturday, Ricky Friday , Sunday.
I kind of wonder if Chenard isn't 100%. He seemed to tweak something in the Erie game which typically the second half of the back to back would have been Votary's start. I figured if they went Chenard in the back to back they wanted him in against Guelph as well. If he isn't 100% then it makes sense to go back to Votary Tuesday to give Chenard more time to recover. Votary has been playing well of late so I certainly don't have any issues if he gets the nod. He was good coming in relief of Chenard against Barrie last time.

Reactions: Millpond

OSAfan

Jan 15, 2023
I was in process of watching this game to see Luddington but those videos are great. Kind of confirms my initial thought that this trade with Stewart and a 3rd was a very good trade but if Luddington could come in and crack our lineup next season this could become a great trade. And I should add I love Cal Uens but come on adding some much needed grit a 3rd and possibly still have a PP quarterback but with a little more size.
Found one more

Reactions: KFawcett

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Ron MacLean and Dale DeGray host a hot stove at Boston Pizza Owen Sound tonight from 4:30pm-6:00pm. Portion of the proceeds are going to Owen Sound Girls Hockey.

I am a proud hockey dad and coach of 2 girls playing with OSGH. I hope some of the fans can make it out tonight for this great event and help raise some money for girls hockey.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
“That’s on Teddy and he knows that but that’s hockey and he understands that’s his job. I’ll use him again. I’ll go to war for a guy like that who competes for his teammates every single night. He would do anything for his teammates.” “I’d protect him with my life. I love the kid. Honest to God, he’s a great teammate, a great person and he works hard,” Hill said. “I couldn’t say enough good things about Teddy Sawyer.”

Some telling quotes from coach Hill about Sawyer. Clearly they are very high on him. He's been a warrior for them this year.

Also Coach Hill made it clear the goal tending duties are very much up for grabs. They are looking for one of them to step up and claim the starter's role.

Not the prettiest hockey game last night but they battled back twice from two goal deficits to earn a point against a very good Barrie team. Barlow extends his goal streak to 8 games and Burroughs stays hot. On to London Friday night.

Reactions: KFawcett
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad