Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Your right, replace Chafe with Stewart, if Letourneau signs, then he probably is the 4th line centre and it frees you up to trade Cormier for a quality 04, plus a few picks from trading excess overages.
I think fourth line centre would make sense but I don't think you lure him away from the NCAA in his draft year to play fourth line. I'm not a big fan of "promising" playing time but he's such an attractive piece you might do it in this case. At least start him there and give it 10 games or so to assess him. Let his play dictate whether or not he keeps the role. If he joins the Attack it has the potential of adding mid 6 forward that doesn't cost anything.

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
I agree with your assessment. You're missing Stewart(04) in your forward mix. 40 goals might be a bit optimistic but I would think 35+ is realistic which is a scary deep top 6, especially if Bryant continues to produce the way he has been. If they could convince Letourneau to join the team then he could realistically slot in as third line centre, replacing 6'6" Lawrence with 6'5" Letourneau, keeps the size on the third line. Maybe Cormier can step into the third line and play some wing. Chafe might be odd man out. I think Brennan is likely ahead at this point in the 05 class and offers more offensive ability. If Letourneau doesn't join then I would think Cormier has the inside track for first go as third line centre.

They could start the season with the forwards they have and hope one of the younger guys steps up. If it doesn't work then you could address it later in the year. I think that's a less pressing need than the D. I totally agree on your suggestion of filling the D needs with hopefully a solid import pick up and a trade add. Maybe Luddington figures into the D picture at some point. He's a wild card.

It's a fair question. The pick cupboard isn't loaded as you know. We added a 3rd in the Uens/Stewart swap, the '27 picks will come in to play, and we have some bottom six surplus projected that may move out for picks(though not likely high picks, depending on who moves) in addition to whatever the 03 surplus brings in. DeGray has been talking to Letourneau and if he comes they will need to make room. Factor in another likely '07 first rounder, likely a forward based on the lack of D projected for the first round, that will need room or at least be part of a rotation. There's going to be some tinkering required in the forward group with so many returning players.

It may be unlikely but the Attack could also move '06 1st rounder Cormier if pursuing someone of Nelson's class. That type of player will hurt in the acquisition cost. If Letourneau comes moving Cormier may be palatable. We likely don't have the assets to make a major splash like that with just picks.

It's unlikely they swing that big based on history but it could be done. They definitely have work to do on the blue line going into next season.

Letourneau would be smart to come given how many forwards Northeastern has committed ahead of him. He will never see the ice there. That being said, there are reasons he was taken in the 9th round. Not sure what you'd get for Cormier in a move. His value has declined steadily. Keep him as a utility body and maybe he will add something in a couple of years

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Letourneau would be smart to come given how many forwards Northeastern has committed ahead of him. He will never see the ice there. That being said, there are reasons he was taken in the 9th round. Not sure what you'd get for Cormier in a move. His value has declined steadily. Keep him as a utility body and maybe he will add something in a couple of years
Just out of curiosity on Letourneau, are you talking off ice issues or more IQ/physical skills? He showed really well in camp and could have broken with the team.

Cormier has looked good when he's had the opportunity to play with some of the older, more skilled players. He's spent the majority of the year on the fourth line with his fellow rookie class with limited ice time. The Attack often go 11F and 7D so the 10th and 11th forwards don't see a lot of ice. Obviously you'd want to see more production but he's had opportunities that should start turning into points.

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Just out of curiosity on Letourneau, are you talking off ice issues or more IQ/physical skills? He showed really well in camp and could have broken with the team.

Cormier has looked good when he's had the opportunity to play with some of the older, more skilled players. He's spent the majority of the year on the fourth line with his fellow rookie class with limited ice time. The Attack often go 11F and 7D so the 10th and 11th forwards don't see a lot of ice. Obviously you'd want to see more production but he's had opportunities that should start turning into points.

Shouldve clarified - no off ice issues. He's a big body but doesn't use it as much as he should. He has some skill. Needs more speed. In my opionion he's benefited from his size against smaller kids in minor hockey and it will be an eye opener for him when he gets to this level.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Shouldve clarified - no off ice issues. He's a big body but doesn't use it as much as he should. He has some skill. Needs more speed. In my opionion he's benefited from his size against smaller kids in minor hockey and it will be an eye opener for him when he gets to this level.
Sometimes kids change and get better, as a 9th round pick to already have a commit would suggest that something has changed in the way he plays, or your view of him is a bit off.

All I can say was that he was one of the most impressive players we saw at camp and if he signs he wont be a star right off the bat and perhaps won't ever be anything other then an average player, but he turned everyone's head.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I would also argue that they don't need to really make 4/5 moves like the teams are now. I would think that 2 D, one of which is hopefully an impactful Import, will be all that is needed.

Realistically, your looking at the following. An upgrade on Jordan and another Impact D, and a very good depth forward and that's a very, very good team considering the growth that the 04 and 05s should show. Barlow (maybe 60), Guindon, Goure, Burroughs, Petrovsky (maybe not) could all be 40 goal scorers.

Bryant - Goure - Barlow
Petrovski - Guindon - Burroughs
Brennan - ? - Hookey
Teresigni - Cormier - Chafe

? - Sedley
Petrovsky - Steen
Jordan - Rogers

Votary
George
What about Stewart?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
It always takes longer for these tall lanky kids to grow into their bodies. Little bit more of a project but I think he had 5 goals in main camp and was the biggest standout in the 06 draft class. His skill with the puck and his shot really stood out. Skilled big men are fairly rare. He would be a nice get for the Attack, even if he's not a significant contributor right away.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Taking a look at the projected returning D men next year there is a bit of an apparent lack of edge/physicality/tough to play against among them, especially if Sawyer departs.

Sedley(03 OA)
Jordan(04)
Steen(04)
Petrovski(05)
Rogers(06)

They addressed that same issue within the forward group but I wonder if that's something they pursue in the offseason. Steen has at times played a bit of a physical game, he loves to throw the hip check, but other than that they don't really have any guys to take note of for the opposition when they're on the ice. Steen and Petrovski are the only Dmen over 6'. Taking a look around the league for 04 pieces who might help I found a few interesting names:

Josh Hoover - Sarnia
Derek Smyth - Ottawa
Matthew Mayich - Ottawa
Konnor Smith - Peterborough
Donovan McCoy - Peterborough

Ottawa projects to contend again next year but similar to this season they look to have a crowded blueline. Maybe the Attack look to pry another Dman out? Hoover has had injury issues this year but is a pretty scrappy player. McCoy is a former first rounder so would likely cost more than they may want to pay but would seemingly have the most upside. Konnor Smith would add significant size. These players may not be big needle movers but if you could pair them with a solid import D addition then that could solidify the D core.

OSAfan

Jan 15, 2023
Or he was taken in the 9th round because the OHL teams new he was a talented but tough sign as he may have indicated he was planning to go the NCAA route.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
Taking a look at the projected returning D men next year there is a bit of an apparent lack of edge/physicality/tough to play against among them, especially if Sawyer departs.

Sedley(03 OA)
Jordan(04)
Steen(04)
Petrovski(05)
Rogers(06)

They addressed that same issue within the forward group but I wonder if that's something they pursue in the offseason. Steen has at times played a bit of a physical game, he loves to throw the hip check, but other than that they don't really have any guys to take note of for the opposition when they're on the ice. Steen and Petrovski are the only Dmen over 6'. Taking a look around the league for 04 pieces who might help I found a few interesting names:

Josh Hoover - Sarnia
Derek Smyth - Ottawa
Matthew Mayich - Ottawa
Konnor Smith - Peterborough
Donovan McCoy - Peterborough

Ottawa projects to contend again next year but similar to this season they look to have a crowded blueline. Maybe the Attack look to pry another Dman out? Hoover has had injury issues this year but is a pretty scrappy player. McCoy is a former first rounder so would likely cost more than they may want to pay but would seemingly have the most upside. Konnor Smith would add significant size. These players may not be big needle movers but if you could pair them with a solid import D addition then that could solidify the D core.
Import '04 in North Bay?

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Import '04 in North Bay?
Lukin from North Bay would certainly fit the role. The list below is who I would have interest in if the Attack were to trade for an import rather than add through the draft.

Defense:
Alexander Lukin(04) - North Bay
Kirill Kudryavtsev(04) - Soo
Tomáš Hamara(04) - Kitchener

Forward
Sandis Vilmanis(04) - Sarnia
Simon Slavicek(04) - Flint

I would lean towards the Attack likely using the draft to add the second import next year, possibly an 05 birth year to avoid having two 04s graduating at the end of the year. The skill guys typically cost more in trade. I think if you can target a skilled puck moving D with the import draft, you should be able to acquire some size/snarl on the blue line through trade without breaking the bank. If they go the trade route, Kudryavtsev from the Soo is likely too expensive but the best player in the list(if the Soo get the mem cup then he's not available anyways), Hamara and Lukin may be more realistic adds. Ideally I'd like to see a decent puck moving D and a hard nosed physical D added to the mix next year. They could swing the moves without spending significant assets to set themselves up for a move or two during the season.

OSAfan

Jan 15, 2023
Lukin from North Bay would certainly fit the role. The list below is who I would have interest in if the Attack were to trade for an import rather than add through the draft.

Defense:
Alexander Lukin(04) - North Bay
Kirill Kudryavtsev(04) - Soo
Tomáš Hamara(04) - Kitchener

Forward
Sandis Vilmanis(04) - Sarnia
Simon Slavicek(04) - Flint

I would lean towards the Attack likely using the draft to add the second import next year, possibly an 05 birth year to avoid having two 04s graduating at the end of the year. The skill guys typically cost more in trade. I think if you can target a skilled puck moving D with the import draft, you should be able to acquire some size/snarl on the blue line through trade without breaking the bank. If they go the trade route, Kudryavtsev from the Soo is likely too expensive but the best player in the list(if the Soo get the mem cup then he's not available anyways), Hamara and Lukin may be more realistic adds. Ideally I'd like to see a decent puck moving D and a hard nosed physical D added to the mix next year. They could swing the moves without spending significant assets to set themselves up for a move or two during the season.

Another video posted of Luddington last night. He may be the 05 puck moving D for next year. 6 points in last 4 games.

OSAfan

Jan 15, 2023
Tough first period in Flint tonight. Hopefully we pick up the pace and get these goals back.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not our best showing tonight in Flint.

Good to hear they would claw the game to a closer result but just came up short. It would appear the emotions have never left from last seasons round one playoff series with the birds, and Stewart would answer the bell to get a spark going.

Tomorrow is a blank slate and a new game hopefully the guys can take some of the late serge of energy against Flint into tomorrow's game versus the Spitfires.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad