Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Looking at the rookie camp roster, there appears to be 12 free agent invites this year. Seems like a lot. It will be interesting to see if any of them can advance to main camp. Luke Bibby isn't listed so unless he got an invite to main camp already, it appears he has moved on.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Had some time to skim through the two scrimmages from today and have a few thoughts:

Jared Langdon really stood out to me. He showcased his skating and made a lot of skill plays. I was very impressed with his game in both scrimmages.

Mitchell Young and Tristan Caldwell both looked solid. Young made some nice offensive plays but also showed some maturity in picking his spots. Saw him pull out of a rush up ice to slow things down and make a safe play vs a high risk play. Caldwell was physical and played solidly in his own zone, nothing real flashy.

Antonio Tersigni was impressive as well. Tons of speed and showed off some skill as well. Could easily see him quickly becoming a fan favorite. He was every where and involved with everything pretty much every time he stepped on the ice.

Braedyn Rogers showed off his skating and used his feet to transition up ice a few times. He's going to be fun to watch.

Conor Thacker looked solid in scrimmage 1 and a little all over the place in scrimmage 2. He definitely stands out physically and his skating looks ok for his size. Showed a touch of offensive ability. Got caught wandering out of position too much in the second scrimmage and was getting beat on the outside. Might have just been fatigue but definitely didn't looks as good as in the first scrimmage.

Reactions: PensFan101

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Langdon stood out to me as well. Tersini , Rogers and Cormier all have great skating abilities

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Langdon stood out to me as well. Tersini , Rogers and Cormier all have great skating abilities

Liked all of them as expected. Brennan was the biggest surprise, Thacker was a bit of a question mark, he looked lost a few times. Expected more. Morey was fine, but not what I thought either.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I believe the Petes rookie camp was in May.

I also think Giles was a free agent incite to the Petes camp as well.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
The more I watch Langdon the more he looks like a guy that should be in the league this year. Thacker seemed a bit lost this camp, will have to see how he does against the vets. Morey has not had the impact I thought he would. I still like Young quite a bit, I think him and Roger are the depth defenders. Will be interesting to see if the new import and returning D. May still need that 1 stud but they are a deep group from top to bottom.

George was average Monday but very good today. He is very different from Chenard, very agile and competitive.

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
The more I watch Langdon the more he looks like a guy that should be in the league this year. Thacker seemed a bit lost this camp, will have to see how he does against the vets. Morey has not had the impact I thought he would. I still like Young quite a bit, I think him and Roger are the depth defenders. Will be interesting to see if the new import and returning D. May still need that 1 stud but they are a deep group from top to bottom.

George was average Monday but very good today. He is very different from Chenard, very agile and competitive.
I would sign Langdon. In my opinion he was the top unsigned forward in rookie camp by a fairly wide margin.

Young has really impressed, especially on day two. He skates very well and showed poise with the puck and made a lot of good reads to intercept pucks. Showed good vision in the offensive zone. Never really saw him get beat in the D zone either. Would be a nice compliment to the pieces we already have on the back end.

OHL Prophet

Nov 17, 2021
I didn't think vaccination was a requirement this year?

With 12 fwds and 8 D already signed I cannot only see them signing 2 more fwds and maybe 1 D if they are going to release an incumbent.

Langdon and Brennan are the two fwds not signed that stood out. Morey was invisible.

Young the only D man that may have a chance. Not sure who he would be ahead of. Thacker is not moving on to main camp.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If the kid can play, you sign him now and worry about logistics later. If he can't come on a road trip, next man up.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Haven't been on here in a few days some very good posts by all. Nothing I see that I don't agree with. It will be interesting to see how the above mentioned all look on the ice with the vets.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I don't believe we will see Langdon sign.

As DD pointed out twice, once at the draft and then again during one of days during his visits between training camp scrimmages. His vaccination status was where the team was having a tough time getting their brains around having him on the team.

Agreed he was certainly a standout during rookie camp and had a very good showing, but it still comes down to the plain and simple factor would the team be comfortable leaving a guy behind for almost a quarter of the road schedule?

Compared to a kid that maybe not as challenging to work with, that is really the only thing that may stray the team way from that kid. If this was maybe 4-5 seasons ago even 3 seasons and outside hiccups we're there like they are, then I could see this kid being in the mix. But this season would be a big gamble to have a roster player miss what could be key weeks of the season.

The big issue right now is there's kids who could and quite possibly should be getting a good look at this camp but uncomfortable circumstances out of the teams and leagues control may simply force DD hands to go a different direction.

But will see no one is truly out of the mix until we see who the team has released from camp.
Had no idea about the vaccination issues. Thanks for sharing that info. Truly bizarre scenario if that's the case. Is that why he only played 10 games last season? He doesn't look like a 4th round pick so far.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I didn't think vaccination was a requirement this year?

With 12 fwds and 8 D already signed I cannot only see them signing 2 more fwds and maybe 1 D if they are going to release an incumbent.

Langdon and Brennan are the two fwds not signed that stood out. Morey was invisible.

Young the only D man that may have a chance. Not sure who he would be ahead of. Thacker is not moving on to main camp.
Langdon was the best unsigned forward by a wide margin. Brennan played well and stood out. Few flashes here or there from some other forwards but nothing consistent to get excited about.

Young was by far the best D in rookie camp in my opinion. Caldwell looked good too but plays a pretty redundant style of game with the guys already on the team. Thacker really looked like a serious work in progress. Big tools but didn't seem to have the hockey IQ to go with them. Not really shocked that he didn't make the team but thought he would get a look in main camp still.

That kid isn't changing his mind his dad is a doctor that is very against it
Pretty sure 16 years old is the age to consent for medical treatment/care. If playing hockey is important enough to him he could make the decision for himself and get it taken care of. Tough situation if it hurts the family dynamic though.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Langdon was the best unsigned forward by a wide margin. Brennan played well and stood out. Few flashes here or there from some other forwards but nothing consistent to get excited about.

Young was by far the best D in rookie camp in my opinion. Caldwell looked good too but plays a pretty redundant style of game with the guys already on the team. Thacker really looked like a serious work in progress. Big tools but didn't seem to have the hockey IQ to go with them. Not really shocked that he didn't make the team but thought he would get a look in main camp still.

Pretty sure 16 years old is the age to consent for medical treatment/care. If playing hockey is important enough to him he could make the decision for himself and get it taken care of. Tough situation if it hurts the family dynamic though.
Just checked, Langdon doesn't turn 16 until November. He has a late birth day.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Just noticed Dean Letourneau wasn't on the rookie camp roster but is on the main camp roster. He was a 9th round pick in the most recent draft. Elite Prospects lists him at 6'5" and 190lbs. Might be someone to keep an eye on. Luc Warner also attending main camp without being listed on rookie camp roster.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Just noticed Dean Letourneau wasn't on the rookie camp roster but is on the main camp roster. He was a 9th round pick in the most recent draft. Elite Prospects lists him at 6'5" and 190lbs. Might be someone to keep an eye on. Luc Warner also attending main camp without being listed on rookie camp roster.

Letourneau and Warner couldn't attend rookie camp they were at St Anne's tournament?? Attack invited both to come to main camp. Only 1 scrimmage but this poster has Letourneau (2goals) in a logjam with Brennan and Langdon. I give him a possible edge as his skating looks good and his size but will be interesting to see. Word at the rink is there may only be room for 1 as they want to add an OA fwd. Defense looks set I do really like the Caldwell kid he has size and looks to be a mean one.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Letourneau and Warner couldn't attend rookie camp they were at St Anne's tournament?? Attack invited both to come to main camp. Only 1 scrimmage but this poster has Letourneau (2goals) in a logjam with Brennan and Langdon. I give him a possible edge as his skating looks good and his size but will be interesting to see. Word at the rink is there may only be room for 1 as they want to add an OA fwd. Defense looks set I do really like the Caldwell kid he has size and looks to be a mean one.
Letourneau is an interesting player. He looks like he gets around ice pretty well. Usually it takes the bigger kids a little while to adjust to their big frame but I thought he looked good. He did a nice job of utilizing his reach to protect the puck and seemed to find a lot of opportunities in the offensive zone. He seemed to just glide into pucks at the right time. Be interesting to see how he looks tomorrow.

Caldwell has looked good. Pretty strong in his own zone and has made tough for the opponents to get to the net. It's tough to compare Caldwell and Young as they are very different players but both have looked good so far.

Of the returning players, Madden Steen really stood out. He was getting around the ice really well and was very engaged in both ends of the rink. Also thought Votary looked solid. He was pretty calm in the net and letting the puck/play come to him. Good start so far.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Letourneau is an interesting player. He looks like he gets around ice pretty well. Usually it takes the bigger kids a little while to adjust to their big frame but I thought he looked good. He did a nice job of utilizing his reach to protect the puck and seemed to find a lot of opportunities in the offensive zone. He seemed to just glide into pucks at the right time. Be interesting to see how he looks tomorrow.

Caldwell has looked good. Pretty strong in his own zone and has made tough for the opponents to get to the net. It's tough to compare Caldwell and Young as they are very different players but both have looked good so far.

Of the returning players, Madden Steen really stood out. He was getting around the ice really well and was very engaged in both ends of the rink. Also thought Votary looked solid. He was pretty calm in the net and letting the puck/play come to him. Good start so far.
Agree with everything you said. I made the comment today that every shift Letourneau gets multiple touches of the puck. I may try and count tomorrow how many he does get. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. In my mind I had a 2 horse race between Langdon and Brennan for the last fwd spot but I now think Letourneau has snuck into the race and has edged into the lead.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Langdon was my pick for the potential forward opening. If the vaccination issue is a deal breaker Letourneau is an intriguing option. The tools aren't as sexy but 6'5" centreman that can skate are pretty rare.

Mitch Young looks like a player to me. He may not make the team due to the numbers game but I think he certainly played well enough to earn a spot.

Madden Steen looks phenomenal so far. He's moving really well and showing way more offensively. Very pleasantly surprised with him.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Langdon was my pick for the potential forward opening. If the vaccination issue is a deal breaker Letourneau is an intriguing option. The tools aren't as sexy but 6'5" centreman that can skate are pretty rare.

Mitch Young looks like a player to me. He may not make the team due to the numbers game but I think he certainly played well enough to earn a spot.

Madden Steen looks phenomenal so far. He's moving really well and showing way more offensively. Very pleasantly surprised with him.
I was going to count Letourneau's touches yesterday in the one scrimmage I got sidetracked but on his first 2 shifts he had 7. 2 of those were legit scoring chances he won a fo against Bryant and tied one up I don't think he beat Petrovsky but hey can't hold that against him. Waiting to see if he gets to hang around while guys go to camp. I'm like you a 6'5" centreman that can skate well is pretty intriguing.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Any takes from the preseason game in Barrie? Who stood out and who struggled?
Not a whole lot to go off of other than the stat sheet unfortunately. I think the line up for the forward group was pretty much what most have suspected it to be. Seed and Sedley were scratched on the back end, presumably to get a better look at the younger players in game scenarios. Not sure if Seed is healthy though as I don't recall him participating in day two scrimmages in main camp.

Mark McKelvie commented "The line of Bonaiuto-Bryant-Fantino has stood out" which is positive. Would be a strong sign to open the season being able to roll three strong forward lines.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Not a whole lot to go off of other than the stat sheet unfortunately. I think the line up for the forward group was pretty much what most have suspected it to be. Seed and Sedley were scratched on the back end, presumably to get a better look at the younger players in game scenarios. Not sure if Seed is healthy though as I don't recall him participating in day two scrimmages in main camp.

Mark McKelvie commented "The line of Bonaiuto-Bryant-Fantino has stood out" which is positive. Would be a strong sign to open the season being able to roll three strong forward lines.

Seed was shooken up during scrimmage on Friday. Hopefully precautionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad