Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The infamous Cody Ceci trade in 2013 (where Owen Sound briefly trended worldwide on Twitter).

Beacher beat me to it, but yeah. Was not a good trade for the Attack short and long term. Ceci was... mediocre in our colours. Middleton had a great junior career and is now an NHLer, and Blandisi turned into an OHL superstar and has had a long pro career.

I imagine that deal left a mark with DeGray. It's basically Shipley and Ceci as the only massive, ground-shaking moves in his tenure.
Before DeGray,,Futa tried his hand, bringing in a few guys from Brampton for Sanguenetti and others.

The centerpiece as I remember Paul Bissonette.
His pro career was limited he's been more successful with Spitten Chicklets, but I'll never forgive him for bad mouthing Owen Sound on his show

He's not welcome back. Not that he cares but I see him as a d*ck.

Going strictly off memory from the Fronts training camp in the fall that was open to the public (so I could be completely off/he may have developed), I seem to remember Luddington being quite poor defensively, but he looked like he had potential offensively with impressive skating. If he puts on some lbs he could be a player, but I remember him looking quite lanky and somewhat weak as well.
The Attack scouts must have had previous interest in this guy to include him .

I'm not a fan of giving up Uens, but DD brings in another gritty forward, and frees up icetime for Rogers.

He looks to have big upside and needs to slot in more often .

And he pries a 3rd rd pick , which we can use.

Reactions: All the Answers

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Before DeGray,,Futa tried his hand, bringing in a few guys from Brampton for Sanguenetti and others.

The centerpiece as I remember Paul Bissonette.
His pro career was limited he's been more successful with Spitten Chicklets, but I'll never forgive him for bad mouthing Owen Sound on his show

He's not welcome back. Not that he cares but I see him as a d*ck.

The Attack scouts must have had previous interest in this guy to include him .

I'm not a fan of giving up Uens, but DD brings in another gritty forward, and frees up icetime for Rogers.

He looks to have big upside and needs to slot in more often .

And he pries a 3rd rd pick , which we can use.

Bissonette was before the Sanguinetti deal, but that 07 team had a Kitchener Rangers-esque load up despite being 7th or 8th place. Traded Josh Bailey and a second round pick (which Windsor used to draft Jesse Blacker) among other assets for an overage goalie in Guadagnolo who struggled, at best (and a youngster we cut the next season).

The deal with Brampton brought Howie Martin and Theo Peckham's rival Phil Oreskovich to Owen Sound, and was completed in the summer as one of those two part deals that are now not allowed where Sanguinetti went over in the summer.

So even excluding DeGray, it is a short, and disastrous list of all-in deals in Owen Sound's history.

Edit: just looked it up, Bissonnette was traded well before the deadline, and for Tyson Gimblett and two 2nd round picks. Spirit trade Bissonnette

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
We usually see a cycle with some teams where you “go for it” every 3-4 years. A rebuild year, 1-2 middling years and then a true mortgage the future year, followed by it restarting and you rebuilding and recouping picks.

I would love to see us do that but maybe as a small market they dont want us being a bottom feeder every few years incase it kills some fan interest and lowers ticket sales?

With next year likely being Barlows last year they should really look to make a run. You only usually develop a guy like that every few years.
I mean no disrespect, but are you new on here ?
The Attack 'plan' has been carved in stone for years .

Dale can explain at the next townhall

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Bissonette was before the Sanguinetti deal, but that 07 team had a Kitchener Rangers-esque load up despite being 7th or 8th place. Traded Josh Bailey and a second round pick (which Windsor used to draft Jesse Blacker) among other assets for an overage goalie in Guadagnolo who struggled, at best (and a youngster we cut the next season).

The deal with Brampton brought Howie Martin and Theo Peckham's rival Phil Oreskovich to Owen Sound, and was completed in the summer as one of those two part deals that are now not allowed where Sanguinetti went over in the summer.

So even excluding DeGray, it is a short, and disastrous list of all-in deals in Owen Sound's history.

Edit: just looked it up, Bissonnette was traded well before the deadline, and for Tyson Gimblett and two 2nd round picks. Spirit trade Bissonnette
Ah, right Oreskovich, I was confused between him and Bissonette.
Still doesn't get him in my good books 😕

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I mean no disrespect, but are you new on here ?
The Attack 'plan' has been carved in stone for years .

Dale can explain at the next townhall
I posted here years ago but got off these boards for a while after my Leafs fandom lead me to some useless arguments that I found a waste of time

If the plan is known what is going on?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I posted here years ago but got off these boards for a while after my Leafs fandom lead me to some useless arguments that I found a waste of time

If the plan is known what is going on?
Build mostly from the draft, DD hasn't bought or sold big over the years.

We've got a great group of players who should mostly peak next year .
Welcome back.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Build mostly from the draft, DD hasn't bought or sold big over the years.

We've got a great group of players who should mostly peak next year .
Welcome back.
Have to give credit where it's due, the scouting staff and team management have done a very good job with the draft the past few years. It'll be interesting to see what they can do with the import pick this year and if they continue the recent trend of drafting a forward with their 1st round pick in the OHL draft.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Looks like Lorenzo Boniauto is no longer listed on the team website.

Not a great sign for his hockey future, lets hope he is doing well away from the ice.
Concussions suck. There's no linear progression from post concussion symptoms. You have to be incredibly careful with head injuries as they have long term quality of life consequences. Hopefully for his sake he can make a full recovery and find some form of normalcy in life, even if he never plays hockey again. Some things are more important.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Just for fun, the Attack could throw out an "energy" line of

Stewart - Lawrence - Hookey

Some big boys who could go out and set the tone with a little physicality and create some life on the bench. With the Attack struggling with inconsistent starts, having a tone setter to roll over the boards early could help.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Just for fun, the Attack could throw out an "energy" line of

Stewart - Lawrence - Hookey

Some big boys who could go out and set the tone with a little physicality and create some life on the bench. With the Attack struggling with inconsistent starts, having a tone setter to roll over the boards early could help.
Add Sawyer and Steen or even Jordan on the back end. All of a sudden some nice aggression out there.

Im not sure what they will look like, but my guess or hope once everyone is healthy

Bryant - Goure - Barlow
Petrovski - Guindon - Hookey
Papis - Lawrence - Burroughs
Stewart - Cormier - Brennan

Chafe and Teresigni filling in as needed.

Chenard and Votary play as their play dictates.

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Add Sawyer and Steen or even Jordan on the back end. All of a sudden some nice aggression out there.

Im not sure what they will look like, but my guess or hope once everyone is healthy

Bryant - Goure - Barlow

Makes sense to me. Hookey could create space for Guindon and Petrovsky to let them create offense. Three vets in Papais, Lawrence and Burroughs is a solid third line. Stewart playing with Cormier and Brennan could offer a legit fourth line to take a more regular shift. Would be a good place to start I think.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
He wasnt. He said all along he wasnt willing to move his 06 or any big picks. So maybe in his own mind he was involved, but he wasnt
Or maybe he was just throwing the dogs off the trail .

Dale is a master at delivering a message he wants you to hear .

Bryant - Goure - Barlow

Swap Burroughs and Hookey, and there's the top 3 lines as they skated yesterday.

Over 615 pounds of energy.

Last edited:

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022

Bryant - Goure - Barlow

They practiced with 10 and 29 switched yesterday

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Well that was fun.

Let's keep er rolling thru the weekend boys.

For the moment tied with Sarnia.

Who'd a thunk ??

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
May I ask what the initials RM on the chests are for?

Well played game this evening.
Ray McKelvey, the long time business manager of the team, and the person who was key to bringing the team in 1989 and ensuring they stayed in 2000.

Ray never missed a day at the rink, well into his 80's, until he succumbed to cancer recently .

Ray was beloved by the team and his community. He will always be remembered . He shied away from the spotlight, but was a pillar of the community.

It was at Ray's suggestion the team put together an all rookie line last season that totalled around 90 goals. Two of them were NHL drafted , the third will this summer.
Petrovsky, Guindon and Barlow .

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Tidy little win tonight versus the Dogs.

Sometimes it's your night and tonight was our night. As we get closer to crunch time the games are definitely going to get tighter, tougher and every point counts for playoff positioning.

The pickups at the deadline I think showed what type of dimension was needed to really make noise in the second half of the season and that's nothing against the 2 players we moved at the deadline.

Sometimes players need a breath of fresh air. Hookey seemed to want to show a bit more of what he can do and I think Stewart will definitely get his feet wet and bring a bit more sandpaper to the roster.

On to tomorrow and another test against the Otters a team who has big blue-line and isn't afraid to play an in your face style of game.

Boys will have to stay sharp and disciplined against the Otters.

Reactions: OSattackfan

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Ray McKelvey, the long time business manager of the team, and the person who was key to bringing the team in 1989 and ensuring they stayed in 2000.

Ray never missed a day at the rink, well into his 80's, until he succumbed to cancer recently .

Ray was beloved by the team and his community. He will always be remembered . He shied away from the spotlight, but was a pillar of the community.

It was at Ray's suggestion the team put together an all rookie line last season that totalled around 90 goals. Two of them were NHL drafted , the third will this summer.
Petrovsky, Guindon and Barlow .
Thank you Millpond. I am glad I asked.
We need more Ray’s in this world.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Definitely noticed a significant increase in the physical play in last night's game. Sawyer with a huge open ice hit early, Steen threw a big hip check, Lawrence had a few big ones, Stewart hits like a truck. It wasn't just the new guys getting involved which was nice to see.

Hookey was very noticeable last night. He consistently went hard to the net and kept his stick in position for deflections or to search for a rebound. He drew multiple defenders, backing the D up. and creating room for his line mates.

Goure looked a bit rusty with some uncharacteristic turnovers but really nice to get his high end skill back. I'm sure he'll be back up to speed in a hurry. I'm excited to see what he can do with Bryant and Barlow. Thought the top 9 looked good.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Definitely noticed a significant increase in the physical play in last night's game. Sawyer with a huge open ice hit early, Steen threw a big hip check, Lawrence had a few big ones, Stewart hits like a truck. It wasn't just the new guys getting involved which was nice to see.

Hookey was very noticeable last night. He consistently went hard to the net and kept his stick in position for deflections or to search for a rebound. He drew multiple defenders, backing the D up. and creating room for his line mates.

Goure looked a bit rusty with some uncharacteristic turnovers but really nice to get his high end skill back. I'm sure he'll be back up to speed in a hurry. I'm excited to see what he can do with Bryant and Barlow. Thought the top 9 looked good.
I definitely noticed the physical play to. I believe that is the identity we need. Our Erie back to back earlier in the season when we were right up there in the standings there was an Erie fan commenting on Attack FB page saying we were the dirtiest team he ever saw Hmmmmm! Maybe a connection to hard physical play and success on the score board? I wonder if the last minute deal for Stewart had anything to do with Lorenzo Bonauito announcement on Instagram that he has to call it quits.I think they were planning on him being a solid contributor in the physical game and chipping in occasionally with a little scoring.I'm sad for Lorenzo because we never got a chance to see the best of him and he's such a great young man off the ice.

Greys

Dec 18, 2021

I wondered a couple of times if Goure was losing sight of the puck in the full facemask?

Reactions: Stellar29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad