Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Uens is near the top of names who didn't take a step forward this season, so I hope it works out better in Kingston.

I'm definitely on the bandwagon for the big issue with this team being the coaching staff. Too many guys who showed promise last year stagnating or not developing: Fantino, Uens, Chafe, etc. And we've got too many 19 year olds to be fence sitting.

Hoping the new guys coming in also benefit from the change of scenery. Definitely concerned there's a lack of upside with the new additions. Also wonder how quickly Luddington may get signed.
I think Uens made big strides defensively this season personally. He was playing a lot PK minutes. I think he was playing a much safer/simplified game which hampered his offensive abilities. I was hoping to see him build off what was a pretty productive 16 year old season. Can't really argue Fantino or Chafe. I think Fantino just doesn't have the hockey IQ to take advantage of the skill he has. Chafe skates well and plays hard but not sure there's much more to come in his game. He's never looked particularly dangerous in the o-zone but doesn't hurt you defensively either.

Will have to get a look at Hookey and Stewart with the Attack before judging them. Both are coming from teams that don't have the forward depth the Attack have so they should get a look with better players. If anything, the team has raised the floor of their bottom six forward group. adding size and grit that the team has been lacking. Both are 04s and will be a part of next year's run.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I see now London 3 2024 added. That helps. DD must think Luddington is worth something. Otherwise Stewart doesn't bring enough points to worth Uens.
I don't think they brought in Hookey and Stewart for their scoring abilities. I think they are looking for some identity in the bottom six. If they chip in some goals/points it's a bonus.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Agreed, It sucks, he was one of the guys I loved.

Adding Petrovsky seems to have taken alot of his ice away.
Petrovski has been a nice pick up. He looks pretty comfortable handling the puck and rushing up ice. He's been pretty assertive offensively. If he adds a bit of physical play with his size he'll be great. I was hoping he and Uens would be key pieces of the D group in the years to come.

Reactions: OSattackfan

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I personally like the deals DD made at the deadline.. I don't necessarily “love” them or how the deadline completely panned out but I don’t hate it either. I feel like we missed some opportunities to help alleviate our OAs for next year but maybe the deals were not there.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I personally like the deals DD made at the deadline.. I don't necessarily “love” them or how the deadline completely panned out but I don’t hate it either. I feel like we missed some opportunities to help alleviate our OAs for next year but maybe the deals were not there.
I think they wanted 'hockey deals', which is what the Kingston deal was, and its not like there were many options out there for that. Getting a good 04 for an 03 would have been perfect.

Petrovski has been a nice pick up. He looks pretty comfortable handling the puck and rushing up ice. He's been pretty assertive offensively. If he adds a bit of physical play with his size he'll be great. I was hoping he and Uens would be key pieces of the D group in the years to come.
Agree, thats why it hurts a bit. Jordan is fine, but not a long term piece.

Interesting to see what the Luddington player looks like?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Next year has to be our “go for it” year right?

Was talking with a buddy… When was the last time OS went “all in” and made a massive deal buying a star for a ton of picks? I can’t remember unless im being forgetful

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Was talking with a buddy… When was the last time OS went “all in” and made a massive deal buying a star for a ton of picks? I can’t remember unless im being forgetful

Don't believe they have or ever will.

Cody Ceci was one, but I think that Jacob Middleton, who was traded, was not long for the Attack at the time.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

The infamous Cody Ceci trade in 2013 (where Owen Sound briefly trended worldwide on Twitter).

Beacher beat me to it, but yeah. Was not a good trade for the Attack short and long term. Ceci was... mediocre in our colours. Middleton had a great junior career and is now an NHLer, and Blandisi turned into an OHL superstar and has had a long pro career.

I imagine that deal left a mark with DeGray. It's basically Shipley and Ceci as the only massive, ground-shaking moves in his tenure.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I think they wanted 'hockey deals', which is what the Kingston deal was, and its not like there were many options out there for that. Getting a good 04 for an 03 would have been perfect.

Agree, thats why it hurts a bit. Jordan is fine, but not a long term piece.

Interesting to see what the Luddington player looks like?
Jordan is fine as a 6/7 D but I don't think there's much upside to his game. I think what you see now is what he is. Dependable stay at home type with pretty low end offensive abilities. There's times this season where he's tried to join the rush and the play just seems to die on his stick as he looks lost once he hits the o-zone. Not much of a shot either, what most might refer to as a muffin launcher lol. Can't ever find fault with his compete though and he's pretty fearless going into the dirty parts of the ice or blocking shots etc. I'm sure the goalies love him.

Luddington looks like a bit of a project. Listed at 6'3" and 157lbs on elite prospects(seen him listed as 6'1" and 180lbs on the GOJHL website). Looks like he's got offensive abilities based on the stat line but not sure where he's at in being an OHL player. Injury insurance this year maybe? Get a look in camp come fall? Intriguing enough anyways.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017

Greg Cowan interview with Dale about the deadline. Interesting that they were in on one of the big fish.
Always curious who and what kinda package was being asked but will likely never really know .

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Greg Cowan interview with Dale about the deadline. Interesting that they were in on one of the big fish.

He wasnt. He said all along he wasnt willing to move his 06 or any big picks. So maybe in his own mind he was involved, but he wasnt
Probably a Beck type, asked but once they saw what the cost would be they backed out quick, as he said.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Probably a Beck type, asked but once they saw what the cost would be they backed out quick, as he said.
That's likely the right player he may have been looking at. If you were going to get a big piece it was always likely to be an 04 to impact next season's roster as well. He seemed pretty clear he didn't want to do anything to risk next year's run so I think you're probably on the money.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
That's likely the right player he may have been looking at. If you were going to get a big piece it was always likely to be an 04 to impact next season's roster as well. He seemed pretty clear he didn't want to do anything to risk next year's run so I think you're probably on the money.
And to be fair as well, Peterborough probably had a more attractive package to offer.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Don't believe they have or ever will.

Cody Ceci was one, but I think that Jacob Middleton, who was traded, was not long for the Attack at the time.

The infamous Cody Ceci trade in 2013 (where Owen Sound briefly trended worldwide on Twitter).

Beacher beat me to it, but yeah. Was not a good trade for the Attack short and long term. Ceci was... mediocre in our colours. Middleton had a great junior career and is now an NHLer, and Blandisi turned into an OHL superstar and has had a long pro career.

I imagine that deal left a mark with DeGray. It's basically Shipley and Ceci as the only massive, ground-shaking moves in his tenure.
We usually see a cycle with some teams where you “go for it” every 3-4 years. A rebuild year, 1-2 middling years and then a true mortgage the future year, followed by it restarting and you rebuilding and recouping picks.

I would love to see us do that but maybe as a small market they dont want us being a bottom feeder every few years incase it kills some fan interest and lowers ticket sales?

With next year likely being Barlows last year they should really look to make a run. You only usually develop a guy like that every few years.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
We usually see a cycle with some teams where you “go for it” every 3-4 years. A rebuild year, 1-2 middling years and then a true mortgage the future year, followed by it restarting and you rebuilding and recouping picks.

I would love to see us do that but maybe as a small market they dont want us being a bottom feeder every few years incase it kills some fan interest and lowers ticket sales?

With next year likely being Barlows last year they should really look to make a run. You only usually develop a guy like that every few years.
If they break from the mold it's likely next season. They were careful with their assets this year to have ammo for next season. They should add to their assets with whatever moves are made to clear up the 03 situation. They would in theory have Cormier as an 06 first rounder and an 07 first rounder from this spring's OHL draft to dangle if they really wanted to swing big. Still need to see what they can get in the import draft as well.

There will be some big players graduating after next season so I think they have been eyeing next year as "their year".

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
If they break from the mold it's likely next season. They were careful with their assets this year to have ammo for next season. They should add to their assets with whatever moves are made to clear up the 03 situation. They would in theory have Cormier as an 06 first rounder and an 07 first rounder from this spring's OHL draft to dangle if they really wanted to swing big. Still need to see what they can get in the import draft as well.

There will be some big players graduating after next season so I think they have been eyeing next year as "their year".
Benefit is, I think, is that they don't need to add 4/5 players in theory. 2 or 3 good, with one perhaps World Junior type player, may be enough depending on what they current group looks like next year. One of those hopefully come via the import draft.

Barlow, Goure, Bryant, Petrovski and Guidon are locks in the top 6, one of the 03 perhaps if they keep either Lawrence or Burroughs. Brennan, Hookey, Stewart, Cormier, Terisgini, Chafe are already on the team to fill out the bottom half of the lineup.

Defence will need a player depending on how it ends up. Sedley, Petrovski, Steen in the top 4, Sawyer has impressed, he'd be an option there if they opt to keep him. Roger, Jordan and perhaps Luddington in the bottom pair?

George and Votary between the pipes, lots of hyper reactions to Votary on here but I think he's been pretty good overall the last 10 games or so. He may not be a stud, but Id like to think he will be good enough.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Benefit is, I think, is that they don't need to add 4/5 players in theory. 2 or 3 good, with one perhaps World Junior type player, may be enough depending on what they current group looks like next year. One of those hopefully come via the import draft.

Barlow, Goure, Bryant, Petrovski and Guidon are locks in the top 6, one of the 03 perhaps if they keep either Lawrence or Burroughs. Brennan, Hookey, Stewart, Cormier, Terisgini, Chafe are already on the team to fill out the bottom half of the lineup.

Defence will need a player depending on how it ends up. Sedley, Petrovski, Steen in the top 4, Sawyer has impressed, he'd be an option there if they opt to keep him. Roger, Jordan and perhaps Luddington in the bottom pair?

George and Votary between the pipes, lots of hyper reactions to Votary on here but I think he's been pretty good overall the last 10 games or so. He may not be a stud, but Id like to think he will be good enough.
That's a good assessment of the roster going into next year I think. There's a bit of a surplus in the bottom six forwards that could potentially be used in a deal, especially with the 07 first rounder and import picks still to factor in. Would definitely like to see some improvements on the back end for sure, the import player could theoretically fit. I'd be comfortable starting the year with the goaltending of Votary and George. Votary needs to finish this season strong, and his play has definitely been better of late, to be confident on him as the #1 to start the year.

Probably the biggest job is improving the D core. It will be a veteran team next year with a lot of 04 and 05 players. There's very little turn over projected going into next season so development and seeing what guys like Hookey and Stewart bring is key. Getting a look at Luddington if the situation comes up wouldn't hurt either.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

Here's a pre-draft blurb on Luddington linked from his EP page if anyone's interested. Having a big year in the GOJ, albeit as a 17 year old.

Could maybe be a Hislop type situation. Wonder how fast the team signs him, if at all this season?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Here's a pre-draft blurb on Luddington linked from his EP page if anyone's interested. Having a big year in the GOJ, albeit as a 17 year old.

Could maybe be a Hislop type situation. Wonder how fast the team signs him, if at all this season?
I didn't notice before but he's a late 05 birth. Could very well be a late bloomer situation. Can't hurt to give him a look if he's willing to commit. Certainly profiles as the type of D the team is in need of.

Reactions: Noofgoof

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Going strictly off memory from the Fronts training camp in the fall that was open to the public (so I could be completely off/he may have developed), I seem to remember Luddington being quite poor defensively, but he looked like he had potential offensively with impressive skating. If he puts on some lbs he could be a player, but I remember him looking quite lanky and somewhat weak as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad