Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I was just looking at hypothetical fits. Not sure any of them would be available or that the acquisition cost would make sense. I still think the draft is the most likely avenue to fill the open import slot.

If they did get a puck mover like a Hamara or a Kudryavtsev then maybe that opens the door to a Sedley trade and keeping Sawyer as the OA on defense. Obviously any decision is months away and many dominoes to fall before we get there. Just food for thought.
Agreed I was playing the hypothetical options really.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
And lastly, some heartwarming news on Bonaiuto. He technically didn't qualify for his full education package and was trying to get into a game to secure it. Dale went to ownership and they agreed to grant him a full package for school. Really classy move by the organization in my opinion.
It is not surprising to me the Attack ownership have done the' right' thing.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I was just looking at hypothetical fits. Not sure any of them would be available or that the acquisition cost would make sense. I still think the draft is the most likely avenue to fill the open import slot.

If they did get a puck mover like a Hamara or a Kudryavtsev then maybe that opens the door to a Sedley trade and keeping Sawyer as the OA on defense. Obviously any decision is months away and many dominoes to fall before we get there. Just food for thought.
From what I know about the trade market ( which is very little), some deals take months of percolating to come to fruition.
Others happen in mere minutes.

It was an interesting twist the Attack and Soo exchanged 15th round picks in the Fantino/ Hookey deal as one party suggested no one just trades player for player anymore .

So that was done as a bit of a lark . Dale certainly marches to his own drummer .

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Colby Barlow plays his 100th career game tonight. He enters the game with 107 pts. As a comparison since 2000 Highest scorers at 100 gms Nick Suzuki 86 pts, Bobby Ryan 88 pts. I know some fans get frustrated when things aren't going how they think they should but really? We are watching an exceptional talent here one that we may never see again or at least for awhile. Also looking at some of our other talent Deni,Cedric, Servac all having great years but a little overshadowed by Colby's year. Anybody that knows me knows I like to look at the glass as half full and as so always just enjoy the great talent not only on the Attack but around the league. I actually watch very little NHL hockey anymore. Attack and Jr hockey in general as frustrating as it is sometimes is the ultimate entertainment.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Colby Barlow plays his 100th career game tonight. He enters the game with 107 pts. As a comparison since 2000 Highest scorers at 100 gms Nick Suzuki 86 pts, Bobby Ryan 88 pts. I know some fans get frustrated when things aren't going how they think they should but really? We are watching an exceptional talent here one that we may never see again or at least for awhile. Also looking at some of our other talent Deni,Cedric, Servac all having great years but a little overshadowed by Colby's year. Anybody that knows me knows I like to look at the glass as half full and as so always just enjoy the great talent not only on the Attack but around the league. I actually watch very little NHL hockey anymore. Attack and Jr hockey in general as frustrating as it is sometimes is the ultimate entertainment.
I'm in the same boat. I rarely watch NHL games anymore as I've fallen in love with the Attack since moving to Owen Sound ten years ago. I rarely miss a game. I feel very fortunate to be able to watch such high level hockey in our community. My favorite part is watching the young players enter the league and grow/develop through their time in Owen Sound.

I'll add Bryant into the mix of names you mentioned. He's been outstanding since returning to the line up. He had 4 points in 10 games prior to injury and 19 points in 14 games since returning.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I'm in the same boat. I rarely watch NHL games anymore as I've fallen in love with the Attack since moving to Owen Sound ten years ago. I rarely miss a game. I feel very fortunate to be able to watch such high level hockey in our community. My favorite part is watching the young players enter the league and grow/develop through their time in Owen Sound.

I'll add Bryant into the mix of names you mentioned. He's been outstanding since returning to the line up. He had 4 points in 10 games prior to injury and 19 points in 14 games since returning.
He was on my list but I was thinking if I didn't stop at 3 players I might be listing half the team. LOL! I also get as much entertainment value out of watching the star players from other teams. I agree it's awesome to watch them come in as green behind the ears kids and leave as very mature men. I'm sure you've tried this but if not try finding a game at any level beyond Jr where you can't find a player that you watched play in this league. Even most of the teams in the WOAA Sr league have former OHLers on there rosters.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

We are fortunate to get the best development hockey league in the world at our doorstep.

And the last couple weeks, the spotlight on Owen Sound and the Attack .

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
He was on my list but I was thinking if I didn't stop at 3 players I might be listing half the team. LOL! I also get as much entertainment value out of watching the star players from other teams. I agree it's awesome to watch them come in as green behind the ears kids and leave as very mature men. I'm sure you've tried this but if not try finding a game at any level beyond Jr where you can't find a player that you watched play in this league. Even most of the teams in the WOAA Sr league have former OHLers on there rosters.
It's funny actually, the 07-08 Attack team had a kid from Devlin ON, Jordan Davis, that I played against as a kid. Not too many kids play OHL hockey coming out of Northwestern Ontario. Luke Judson, from Emo ON, was the best out of my age group. He captained the Bellville team.

You're right though, it's tough to watch higher level hockey and not find somebody that we've seen pass through Owen Sound, either as a member of the team or as the opposition. It's especially enjoyable to see the Owen Sound players get drafted and climb the ladder to the NHL.

Reactions: KFawcett

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Seed picked up a 3 game suspension last night. Automatic 2 game suspension for being involved in the second fight and then it looks like they tacked on a game for the abuse of official call. Probably lucky it wasn't longer as the abuse of official category iii appears to be for physical abuse in the OHL rule book.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team played a good close game tonight.

Lots of emotions on the ice especially on the opposition side of the puck. Be interesting to see if/or the league gives the Wolves player any disciplinary action for the 2 major penalties taken.

Wolves coach seemed to want to play a an in your face shouting match all night long up to and beyond the final buzzer.

It was good to see the team not get pulled into a lot of the after whistle stuff for the most part, but yet not get pushed around either for the most part. Would've been nice to see the powerplay click a little bit more out of the 8 chances we got but the penalty-kill has been a key to success all season long and going (5/5) tonight and (4/6) in Guelph has shown to be a big piece into the final results in the standings.

For the moment we've seemed to start to get in a groove and put a bit of separation in the standings which is nice to see. Hopefully we can continue this trend down the stretch and set a good position come the post-season push.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Team played a good close game tonight.

Lots of emotions on the ice especially on the opposition side of the puck. Be interesting to see if/or the league gives the Wolves player any disciplinary action for the 2 major penalties taken.

Wolves coach seemed to want to play a an in your face shouting match all night long up to and beyond the final buzzer.

It was good to see the team not get pulled into a lot of the after whistle stuff for the most part, but yet not get pushed around either for the most part. Would've been nice to see the powerplay click a little bit more out of the 8 chances we got but the penalty-kill has been a key to success all season long and going (5/5) tonight and (4/6) in Guelph has shown to be a big piece into the final results in the standings.

For the moment we've seemed to start to get in a groove and put a bit of separation in the standings which is nice to see. Hopefully we can continue this trend down the stretch and set a good position come the post-season push.
Watched some of Wolves-Storm game yesterday and it looks like in your face is Wolves M.O. I'm not thinking Goyette will get a long suspension Taos was back on ice after a bit. The fighting major won't and shouldn't factor in I actually give him credit for answering the bell with Hookey although I'm not sure he really had a option.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Not trying to stir the pot here BUT!!!! I wonder what the silent minority say I say silent because the boys are playing good so they have nothing to say or have gone to Cuba for vacay. They were critical because our G.M didn't partake in the STUPIDNESS that was the trade deadline. How is that working for the teams that got sucked into the craziness? I see a bunch of teams that seem to be struggling to gel and play consistent hockey. Dale made a couple very solid hockey trades that not only help now but I believe help next season also. Bottom line is if this team plays up to there potential they can compete with every team in the league. Personally that is all I ask for be competitive and whatever happens happens.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Not trying to stir the pot here BUT!!!! I wonder what the silent minority say I say silent because the boys are playing good so they have nothing to say or have gone to Cuba for vacay. They were critical because our G.M didn't partake in the STUPIDNESS that was the trade deadline. How is that working for the teams that got sucked into the craziness? I see a bunch of teams that seem to be struggling to gel and play consistent hockey. Dale made a couple very solid hockey trades that not only help now but I believe help next season also. Bottom line is if this team plays up to there potential they can compete with every team in the league. Personally that is all I ask for be competitive and whatever happens happens.
I think things are set up very well going into next season. With how many teams were buyers this year, the conference looks weaker next season and many teams won't have the buying power to make the big moves. The Attack roster is in a solid state going into next year with not a whole lot of significant turn over. In my opinion, they are mostly set at forward, set in goal and likely looking to bolster the D core. They will likely need two impact D additions in my opinion. Maybe not stars per se but maybe another Sawyer type acquisition and an import D man. They have the ammo if they want to swing big and pursue an elite 04 D. A Ty Nelson would be huge if they could pry him out of North Bay. A legit top pair, PP QB. Jorian Donovan would be another depending on Hamilton's situation. They could spread the ammo around a bit and get a couple of 3/4 type D(one trade and one import) and maybe bring in a mid 6 forward. They have a lot of options.

The one unknown is coach Walters. I believe when he was hired it was announced as a two year deal expiring at the end of the 22/23 season. I would think the body of work speaks for itself with the way the team performs. The players seem to enjoy playing for him. Player development has for the most part been consistent, growth from the younger players as well as the vets. I would think they would be hammering out an extension, especially with such a big year on the horizon. I think bringing in a new coach for next year may upset the apple cart.

It's going to be a fascinating offseason.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
I think things are set up very well going into next season. With how many teams were buyers this year, the conference looks weaker next season and many teams won't have the buying power to make the big moves. The Attack roster is in a solid state going into next year with not a whole lot of significant turn over. In my opinion, they are mostly set at forward, set in goal and likely looking to bolster the D core. They will likely need two impact D additions in my opinion. Maybe not stars per se but maybe another Sawyer type acquisition and an import D man. They have the ammo if they want to swing big and pursue an elite 04 D. A Ty Nelson would be huge if they could pry him out of North Bay. A legit top pair, PP QB. Jorian Donovan would be another depending on Hamilton's situation. They could spread the ammo around a bit and get a couple of 3/4 type D(one trade and one import) and maybe bring in a mid 6 forward. They have a lot of options.

The one unknown is coach Walters. I believe when he was hired it was announced as a two year deal expiring at the end of the 22/23 season. I would think the body of work speaks for itself with the way the team performs. The players seem to enjoy playing for him. Player development has for the most part been consistent, growth from the younger players as well as the vets. I would think they would be hammering out an extension, especially with such a big year on the horizon. I think bringing in a new coach for next year may upset the apple cart.

Great post..totally agree..one point to add to the Wally point...as Saturday night proved, he has his players backs no matter what

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

As usual a great post and I agree 100%

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Any thoughts on OAs for next year?
Your 03 class is:
Forwards
Goure - Burroughs - Lawrence
Defence
Sedley - Sawyer

After Goure, there are some really tough decisions to make. I would assume two forwards and one defenseman. Both Lawrence and Burroughs have been playing strong of late. Lawrence has found good chemistry playing with Hookey. Burroughs has seemingly found his scoring touch and has been on a heater for the past month. Both are very different players so it's tough to choose. Probably more scoring from Burroughs, more physicality from Lawrence. Burroughs is part of the leadership group and plays a big role on the PK. Lawrence has had some success as the net front presence on the PP. Could see them go either way.

On D, it depends on what other irons are in the fire. As of now, Sedley is probably the choice. We likely undervalue him as he's not a particularly strong defender but he's currently tied for 5th in league scoring by defenseman. That's tough to replace with no obvious successor to that role. Sawyer is a more dependable stay at home player who skates and is tough to play against. Both are very good players in their own right so again a pretty tough choice.

Reactions: PensFan101

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Any thoughts on OAs for next year?
Assuming all are willing to return, at this point I'd think the only lock is Deni.
He is playing like he's possessed this season and will certainly be one of the best OA's in the league.

Beyond him, I think there will be a lot of balls in the air till the off season .

Sam and Teddy are about as opposite Dmen as there are, so it may come down to who arrives by training camp.

Ditto Ethan and Kaleb. One is a scoring machine, the other a big body .
Which will be more critical next season ?

I'd take any of them on my roster.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017

Curious what ammo it is that you speak of to try and pry away a player such as Ty Nelson.. We do have some great Oa candidates but other then that draft picks are fairly thin (I believe anyway) but maybe Im wrong.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Curious what ammo it is that you speak of to try and pry away a player such as Ty Nelson.. We do have some great Oa candidates but other then that draft picks are fairly thin (I believe anyway) but maybe Im wrong.
It's a fair question. The pick cupboard isn't loaded as you know. We added a 3rd in the Uens/Stewart swap, the '27 picks will come in to play, and we have some bottom six surplus projected that may move out for picks(though not likely high picks, depending on who moves) in addition to whatever the 03 surplus brings in. DeGray has been talking to Letourneau and if he comes they will need to make room. Factor in another likely '07 first rounder, likely a forward based on the lack of D projected for the first round, that will need room or at least be part of a rotation. There's going to be some tinkering required in the forward group with so many returning players.

It may be unlikely but the Attack could also move '06 1st rounder Cormier if pursuing someone of Nelson's class. That type of player will hurt in the acquisition cost. If Letourneau comes moving Cormier may be palatable. We likely don't have the assets to make a major splash like that with just picks.

It's unlikely they swing that big based on history but it could be done. They definitely have work to do on the blue line going into next season.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
My only problem with Lawrence is too many unnecessary penalties.
I think some of that is attributed to the lack of games played the past two years. He just seems to be a step behind at times processing plays and gets a stick caught or grabs a guy. I'm looking to see improvement in that over the second half of the season as he gets more action. No question it's been an issue for him. Some of the penalties feel like ticky tacky calls for being "too big" when he hits at times.

Reactions: OSattackfan

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
It's a fair question. The pick cupboard isn't loaded as you know. We added a 3rd in the Uens/Stewart swap, the '27 picks will come in to play, and we have some bottom six surplus projected that may move out for picks(though not likely high picks, depending on who moves) in addition to whatever the 03 surplus brings in. DeGray has been talking to Letourneau and if he comes they will need to make room. Factor in another likely '07 first rounder, likely a forward based on the lack of D projected for the first round, that will need room or at least be part of a rotation. There's going to be some tinkering required in the forward group with so many returning players.

It may be unlikely but the Attack could also move '06 1st rounder Cormier if pursuing someone of Nelson's class. That type of player will hurt in the acquisition cost. If Letourneau comes moving Cormier may be palatable. We likely don't have the assets to make a major splash like that with just picks.

It's unlikely they swing that big based on history but it could be done. They definitely have work to do on the blue line going into next season.
I would also argue that they don't need to really make 4/5 moves like the teams are now. I would think that 2 D, one of which is hopefully an impactful Import, will be all that is needed.

Realistically, your looking at the following. An upgrade on Jordan and another Impact D, and a very good depth forward and that's a very, very good team considering the growth that the 04 and 05s should show. Barlow (maybe 60), Guindon, Goure, Burroughs, Petrovsky (maybe not) could all be 40 goal scorers.

Bryant - Goure - Barlow
Petrovski - Guindon - Burroughs
Brennan - ? - Hookey
Teresigni - Cormier - Chafe

? - Sedley
Petrovsky - Steen
Jordan - Rogers

Votary
George

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I would also argue that they don't need to really make 4/5 moves like the teams are now. I would think that 2 D, one of which is hopefully an impactful Import, will be all that is needed.

Realistically, your looking at the following. An upgrade on Jordan and another Impact D, and a very good depth forward and that's a very, very good team considering the growth that the 04 and 05s should show. Barlow (maybe 60), Guindon, Goure, Burroughs, Petrovsky (maybe not) could all be 40 goal scorers.

Bryant - Goure - Barlow
Petrovski - Guindon - Burroughs
Brennan - ? - Hookey
Teresigni - Cormier - Chafe

? - Sedley
Petrovsky - Steen
Jordan - Rogers

Votary
George
I agree with your assessment. You're missing Stewart(04) in your forward mix. 40 goals might be a bit optimistic but I would think 35+ is realistic which is a scary deep top 6, especially if Bryant continues to produce the way he has been. If they could convince Letourneau to join the team then he could realistically slot in as third line centre, replacing 6'6" Lawrence with 6'5" Letourneau, keeps the size on the third line. Maybe Cormier can step into the third line and play some wing. Chafe might be odd man out. I think Brennan is likely ahead at this point in the 05 class and offers more offensive ability. If Letourneau doesn't join then I would think Cormier has the inside track for first go as third line centre.

They could start the season with the forwards they have and hope one of the younger guys steps up. If it doesn't work then you could address it later in the year. I think that's a less pressing need than the D. I totally agree on your suggestion of filling the D needs with hopefully a solid import pick up and a trade add. Maybe Luddington figures into the D picture at some point. He's a wild card.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I agree with your assessment. You're missing Stewart(04) in your forward mix. 40 goals might be a bit optimistic but I would think 35+ is realistic which is a scary deep top 6, especially if Bryant continues to produce the way he has been. If they could convince Letourneau to join the team then he could realistically slot in as third line centre, replacing 6'6" Lawrence with 6'5" Letourneau, keeps the size on the third line. Maybe Cormier can step into the third line and play some wing. Chafe might be odd man out. I think Brennan is likely ahead at this point in the 05 class and offers more offensive ability. If Letourneau doesn't join then I would think Cormier has the inside track for first go as third line centre.

They could start the season with the forwards they have and hope one of the younger guys steps up. If it doesn't work then you could address it later in the year. I think that's a less pressing need than the D. I totally agree on your suggestion of filling the D needs with hopefully a solid import pick up and a trade add. Maybe Luddington figures into the D picture at some point. He's a wild card.
Your right, replace Chafe with Stewart, if Letourneau signs, then he probably is the 4th line centre and it frees you up to trade Cormier for a quality 04, plus a few picks from trading excess overages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad