Out of Town - Who's your team during these Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Hes not really smart, hed have a lot more support if he went the other way around, if thats what hes actually going for.

There is actually a lot of Habs fans out there who think the team is good and just had a bad season. You can find them on Reddit and other forums. Lots on Twitter too. Most of them blame the season on Price.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Gonna love watching the Leafs and their cocky fans get bounced in the 1st round again. They're wasting their ELCs real quick

The Leafs have a long term goal which is to move their team into the upper echelon and keep it there, not just a short term for aone time shot at the cup. According to their plan this is about where it said they should be this year. It's too early for them.

Keep in mind though that the Leafs are a lot better than us (Habs), and so are Tampa Bay and so are Boston and with these three up there, it also means the Habs are displaced into the lower echelon of the division. If the Habs ever hope to make the playoffs, it is doubtful they will beat one of these three so it will have to be as a wild card. So don't laugh at the Leafs fans too hard, it may come back to haunt you since it looks likely it will be a long, long before the Habs get there again.

(BTW, the Leafs still have a lot of good ELCs yet to come, and with Mark Hunter and their scouting staff, they will still have more. They also have smarts and have money, while we have Molson, MB, and CJ.)

Reactions: bigbizze and bsl

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
There is actually a lot of Habs fans out there who think the team is good and just had a bad season. You can find them on Reddit and other forums. Lots on Twitter too. Most of them blame the season on Price.
Lots of people think Paul Byron is a very important piece for this team moving forward and that he should be extended. They are also saying you shouldn't trade a 20 goals scorer you picked up on waiver because it was Bergevin best move. Lots of people still have absolutely no idea how terrible this organization is from top to bottom.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
i have no problem with dissent or contrarian opinions, but i have very little time for that kind of hot takes

and is it weird that i read the site as Les Croutons? its early, haven't had my coffee yet...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I would think the same if I were 10 years old and Habs were my favorite team.
No halfway respectable hockey fan can look at the Habs and think they are a good team.

Reactions: RealityBytes

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I think its the vocal minority that makes it looks somewhat 50/50... i certainly havent had the impression that its 50/50.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Unless the leafs make a big splash (get Tavares or Doughty), this was probably their best chance at a cup since Marner + Nylander + Matthews are making less than 3 million combined.
Next season, Nylanders new contract comes in, which will probably be around 7 million. The year after that, Nylander + Marner + Matthews will be making around 25 million combined.

They likely lose JVR and Bozak this summer, and dont have any viable replacement. They dont have any high end prospects either.

Dead wrong, try again ... they have a lot of ELC talent to bring up (Korshkov, Aaltonen, Grundstrom, Timashov, Bracco, Johnsson, Dzierkals to name a few forwards and Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen, Rasanen, Nielsen to name a few defensemen.) Their plan always was to get rid of Bozak, van Riemsdyk, and Komarov ... and Marleau is only short term.

You need to read the daily NHL reports and check out the draft results more closely.

PS: The Leafs aren't going to go after Tavares. Besides, he'll be staying in NY.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Dead wrong, try again ... they have a lot of ELC talent to bring up (Korshkov, Aaltonen, Grundstrom, Timashov, Bracco, Johnsson, Dzierkals to name a few forwards and Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen, Rasanen, Nielsen to name a few defensemen.) Their plan always was to get rid of Bozak, van Riemsdyk, and Komarov ... and Marleau is only short term.

You need to read the daily NHL reports and check out the draft results more closely.

PS: The Leafs aren't going to go after Tavares. Besides, he'll be staying in NY.

That's a terrible list. A whole bunch of guys who at best will end up 4th liners/bottom pairing defenseman.
Liljegren and Johnsson are the only who could end up decent nhlers.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Lots of people think Paul Byron is a very important piece for this team moving forward and that he should be extended. They are also saying you shouldn't trade a 20 goals scorer you picked up on waiver because it was Bergevin best move. Lots of people still have absolutely no idea how terrible this organization is from top to bottom.

Some people still think the world is flat and that 2000 years ago the earth was filled with magic people.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The Leafs have a long term goal which is to move their team into the upper echelon and keep it there, not just a short term for aone time shot at the cup. According to their plan this is about where it said they should be this year. It's too early for them.

Keep in mind though that the Leafs are a lot better than us (Habs), and so are Tampa Bay and so are Boston and with these three up there, it also means the Habs are displaced into the lower echelon of the division. If the Habs ever hope to make the playoffs, it is doubtful they will beat one of these three so it will have to be as a wild card. So don't laugh at the Leafs fans too hard, it may come back to haunt you since it looks likely it will be a long, long before the Habs get there again.

(BTW, the Leafs still have a lot of good ELCs yet to come, and with Mark Hunter and their scouting staff, they will still have more. They also have smarts and have money, while we have Molson, MB, and CJ.)
I was at the game tonight. Leafs are young and learning. They are intimidated. OK.

I think Matthews is being crushed under the pressure. But don't care. He was invisible. Not one pushing aggressive rush.

This was a game he had to step up in, even at age 20 or 21 or whatever.

And JVR and Marleau are supposed to provide the leadership. Did not happen.

I say this as a neutral Habs fan. Really could not give a shit about leafs.

As Matthews goes Leafs go. And Bruins without Bergeron. Not looking good.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
McCagg isn't even 20% respectable and he's trying to build a cult of like minded cattle. That's what happens when Jack Todd is agreeing with you.
Well he's obviously got an agenda. His "buddy" is in there, he's got his motives.
Then there is posters like Belial who just flat out admit they will blindly follow the team and whatever decision they make. At least he's honest about his homerism.
Then there's other people like tolegit who think their arguments make sense and are being rational but are simply delusional.

I don't put much stock on any of those guys.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was at the game tonight. Leafs are young and learning. They are intimidated. OK.

I think Matthews is being crushed under the pressure. But don't care. He was invisible. Not one pushing aggressive rush.

I say this as a neutral Habs fan. Really could not give a **** about leafs.

As Matthews goes Leafs go. Not looking good.
I agree he was disappointing today. Marner was the opposite though, impressed by that kid.
It's unfortunate they had to face the Bruins, that was a very tough match up.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I agree he was disappointing today. Marner was the opposite though, impressed by that kid.
It's unfortunate they had to face the Bruins, that was a very tough match up.
They are all tough match ups. I think this series is a slap in the face to the Leafs. And that is bad. It means they will adjust and likely get better in the ongoing rebuild.

And some here think Habs are close.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

And JVR and Marleau are supposed to provide the leadership. Did not happen.

I say this as a neutral Habs fan. Really could not give a **** about leafs.

As Matthews goes Leafs go. And Bruins without Bergeron. Not looking good.

He reminds me of Joe Thornton when he played against us in the playoffs in the early 2000’s with the Bruins. He’ll probably make me eat my words for saying that in the next game but right now that’s who he reminds me of.

Reactions: Tighthead

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
What?? He absolutely deserves an extension
He’s more valuable than Danault is yet he’s gonne get a long term deal
Byron easily deserves 3x3. He’s earned it. Two 20 goal season in a row. Has more goals than Galchenyuk and drouin the last 2 year yet we should just tell him to f*** off.
Gimme a break. Pick on the players who Deserve it
Drouin, price and Galchenyuk.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Anyone who think Byron is an important piece of any puzzle if out for launch. He's a serviceable player on a good contract nothing more. If he's on your top 6 you're likely not contending.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Byron easily deserves 3x3. He’s earned it. Two 20 goal season in a row. Has more goals than Galchenyuk and drouin the last 2 year yet we should just tell him to **** off.

Why AG is more deserving to be criticized than Byron? Guy did over 50 points playing with 3rd and 4th line centers. How many wingers in the league can do 50 points with Danault and DLR as centers? I bet probably not 30.

The overrating of depth players in Montreal will apparently never change. We put on a pedestal 3rd liners and crap on our best offensive players. Been this way for 25 years now.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
They are all tough match ups. I think this series is a slap in the face to the Leafs. And that is bad. It means they will adjust and likely get better in the ongoing rebuild.

And some here think Habs are close.
Just homers think Habs are close. I laughed before the season started at the defensive line up of this team. It was also obvious they were going to suffer from this on the offensive end.
I don't think I am this savvy brilliant fan, this was pretty freaking obvious. I mean, if Weber gets hurt, Petry-Alzner becomes the top pair. We also decided to go into the season with Danault as the top center.
I mean really, you don't need a crystal ball to know this is bad.

Only blind homer fans actually believed in this team. Looking at how other teams play though, it should be very clear this team is so far behind.

I agree about the Leafs, they came in with more expectations this year, getting eliminated in 1st round will be a disappointment. Have to go through these. They have a good foundation though.
Meanwhile our hope rests on the bad knees of a 30+ goalie who played 50 games+ only once in the last 3 years.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Byron easily deserves 3x3. He’s earned it. Two 20 goal season in a row. Has more goals than Galchenyuk and drouin the last 2 year yet we should just tell him to **** off.
If you can get a 2nd and a 4th for a 29 years old 5'8" 160 pounds 20 goals UFA picked from waiver, you need to make the trade.
I would trade everyone on this team if i could, except Alzner, he makes me laugh!:laugh:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
so does Krug

So does Letang

So does Nurse.

So does Doughty

So do the other 5 D on Tampa

Getting a little old. Knocking a players stats by attributing his success to playing with great players.

Hedman still had to put up those numbers and he is responsible for them more than anyone else.
I'm not knocking on Hedman.

I'm just arguing for who should get the Norris between Doughty, Subban and Hedman. Btw, the only one you didn't name in your list was Subban...

And I disagree for Doughty. Aside from Kopitar, there's no forward in LA that comes close to Kuch and Stamkos. Add the fact that LA is goal starved and wholy lack offensive depth compared to Tampa.

You can't disregard each of their context, especially for offensive stats and needs to be balanced with the impact of their different teamates, also versus the support the compared players get from their own teamates. In Hedman's case, there's so much offensive depth in TB aside from two forward superstars, i'm not surprised he comes first among D's for primary points per 60. Thing is, PK has more 5vs5 total primary points despite not having the same offensive support from elite forwards AND getting the highest 5vs5 Defzone start %.

Should we also disregard the context in which Subban gets 59 points on the most loaded team on the backend? It's a lot harder to get a good share of points when there are so many Ds that can take their share. You can also see this effect with Hedman who got 9 points less than last season partly because he now had Sergachev taking up his own share, also despite adding Stamkos as another elite forward to pot it in.

So I guess trying to balance every aspect is what's getting old...

Anyway. This whole stat pile-up started with talks about the Norris nominees.

I'm looking at their stats, contributions/impact, team performance, teamate performance.

What's getting old is knee-jerk reactions to stating a fact.

Passive agressive, I see.... Worry I make your dear PK look bad? Kinda pathetic.

?

Compensate much?

So I guess you had no counter arguments so you decided to create this whole strawman based on pseudo-telepathic powers?

Yeah it's so pathetic to put a stat into context.

What age are you? I mean, mentally?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad