Out of Town - Who's your team during these Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I just hope Subban wins it because he deserves it. Dude has been in the league for 10 years and can never get any credit for anything he does. It's absolutely ridiculous. Every time he has some achievement it always has to be accompanied by some qualifier.

The hate surrounding this guy is a little irrational. He isn't the only disturber and troll on the ice, but the hate that attitude causes is so damn disproportional. It's quite pathetic.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just hope Subban wins it because he deserves it. Dude has been in the league for 10 years and can never get any credit for anything he does. It's absolutely ridiculous. Every time he has some achievement it always has to be accompanied by some qualifier.

The hate surrounding this guy is a little irrational. He isn't the only disturbing and troll on the ice, but the hate that attitude causes is so damn disproportional. It's quite pathetic.
Blame it on the Habs, had he entered the league on any other team he wouldn't get half the hate.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

All this proves is that Grant doesn't even understand traditional stats, let alone more modern ones.

Like, Plus/minus is straight up misleading. TOI isn't a function of skill or ability, its a coaching decision and reliant on what alternatives there are, more hits are often a negative, especially when you're a player that handles the puck a lot, SOG for a defenceman isn't that important (and Subban scored a ton anyways for a D-man, so who cares), PDO is a measure of luck more than anything else, giveaways happen when you handle the puck a lot (and are manually tracked with wildly different definitions from arena to arena) and both that Corsi and Fenwick isn't bad and doesn't offer much help without much more context.

Like, the only stat he didn't misuse was points, and 8th in points is pretty fantastic.

I REALLY hope that the Habs FO understands stats better than this, or its going to take a great deal of luck for this team to not screw the pooch for a long time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
All this proves is that Grant doesn't even understand traditional stats, let alone more modern ones.

Like, Plus/minus is straight up misleading. TOI isn't a function of skill or ability, its a coaching decision and reliant on what alternatives there are, more hits are often a negative, especially when you're a player that handles the puck a lot, SOG for a defenceman isn't that important (and Subban scored a ton anyways for a D-man, so who cares), PDO is a measure of luck more than anything else, giveaways happen when you handle the puck a lot (and are manually tracked with wildly different definitions from arena to arena) and both that Corsi and Fenwick isn't bad and doesn't offer much help without much more context.

Like, the only stat he didn't misuse was points, and 8th in points is pretty fantastic.

I REALLY hope that the Habs FO understands stats better than this, or its going to take a great deal of luck for this team to not screw the pooch for a long time.
I don't think they do.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Grant is the type of guy I'd totally accidentally on purpose trip if I saw on the street and then accidentally on purpose fall on top of him with my elbow directed right to his mouth.

I hope Recrutes shuts down at the end of the year so he could go back to cleaning toilets.

Grant single-handedly proves that the "experts" are mostly idiots.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Where did you get the all situation?

Every stat tells you Doughty doesnt belong... freaking ridiculous that Jones and Burns are not there, they both absolutely carried their teams.

Burns is the most sheltered star defensemen in the league. He cannot play defense, and for that reason he receives extremely little defensive assignments. Seth Jones is also really good, but he too isn't nearly as good defensively as some make him out to be. I think Doughty is overrated too. But he's better than Burns and Jones, and he certainly performed better than them this season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Burns is the most sheltered star defensemen in the league. He cannot play defense, and for that reason he receives extremely little defensive assignments. Seth Jones is also really good, but he too isn't nearly as good defensively as some make him out to be. I think Doughty is overrated too. But he's better than Burns and Jones, and he certainly performed better than them this season.

Who gives a flying crap about defense. This is duch 2000 thinking. Have you ever heard of a GOAT being good defensively? Usually its because the have some huge offensive short comings. This defensive crap is getting on my nerves hard. Its basically people justifying their beliefs with intangibles. This is the shit that got people to say Toews is better than Crosby.

Burns offensive numbers are out of this world and with normal luck on his shooting he wouldve produced something like 90 points. His offensive dominance was Mcdavid level relative to his position.

Jones did more with less than the three nominees too.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Who gives a flying crap about defense. This is duch 2000 thinking. Have you ever heard of a GOAT being good defensively? Usually its because the have some huge offensive short comings. This defensive crap is getting on my nerves hard. Its basically people justifying their beliefs with intangibles. This is the **** that got people to say Toews is better than Crosby.

Burns offensive numbers are out of this world and with normal luck on his shooting he wouldve produced something like 90 points. His offensive dominance was Mcdavid level relative to his position.

You don't get credit for taking shots and not scoring goals, though. Burns would have gotten some recognition had he scored at a 30 goal clip. That's why he ended up winning the Norris last year.

Jones did more with less, I don't think I can agree with that. Of course, Hedman played on an absolutely stacked team, but Subban and Doughty were both among the top offensive contributors of their respective team. Jones was in a similar position as these two, but at the end of the day he's the least proven of the bunch, had the least points of the bunch, had the weakest +/- and spent the least amount of time on the PK.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015

BTW, are the people that wanted Montreal to be much more physical in years past happy now that Montreal had the most hits in the league?

Its Julien bringing his beloved Bruins mentality to the Hab-less, but he forgot these Hab-less are not the Bruins. No wonder Bruins got rid of him after missing the playoffs the past 2 years.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Must be nice to be the only one with a clue
giphy.gif

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You don't get credit for taking shots and not scoring goals, though. Burns would have gotten some recognition had he scored at a 30 goal clip. That's why he ended up winning the Norris last year.

Jones did more with less, I don't think I can agree with that. Of course, Hedman played on an absolutely stacked team, but Subban and Doughty were both among the top offensive contributors of their respective team. Jones was in a similar position as these two, but at the end of the day he's the least proven of the bunch, had the least points of the bunch, had the weakest +/- and spent the least amount of time on the PK.

Few points.

I agree that you don't get credit for it, but he does get credit for driving his offense and his 350ish shots are a pretty good indicator of that.

On Jones, that's a lot more "reputation" than actual play though and it's stupid. "He's the least proven" ? What the heck ? Weakest +/- ? Come on... Jones was a +10 on a plus 19 team... Subban was plus 18 on a PLUS 59 TEAM , Hedman ? +32 ON A +56 TEAM...

Colombus had four player over 48 points... (Including himself...) Nashville had seven... Tampa ten.

Hedman was 5th in scoring on his own team 26 PP points, Subban was 3rd in scoring with 25 PP points, both on a 25% ish PP...

Seth Jones was 2nd in scoring, with 24 points on the PP, on a 17% PP.

I'm pretty sure 99.9% of people didn't give a flying f*** when PK won his Norris without a second of PK time in 2013, I wonder why.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Who gives a flying crap about defense. This is duch 2000 thinking. Have you ever heard of a GOAT being good defensively? Usually its because the have some huge offensive short comings. This defensive crap is getting on my nerves hard. Its basically people justifying their beliefs with intangibles. This is the **** that got people to say Toews is better than Crosby.

Uh, its not just 2000 thinking. Burns has notable defensive issues that hurt his overall impact. He's absolutely dynamic offensively, but unless he actually finishes, he's not going to get praise. When he's producing, its fantastic, but if he's getting unlucky, he's not going to bring high end defence to make up for that.

Jones (assuming Seth here) is great, but he also played the vast majority of the season with Werenski, who is also great. Subban's most common D partner was Emelin. Hedman's was Dotchin. Doughty's was Forbort. That's a significant difference in on-ice support. And its not like Jones even outclassed those guys with Werenski. The pool of potential Norris winners was certainly more than three deep this year.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Its Julien bringing his beloved Bruins mentality to the Hab-less, but he forgot these Hab-less are not the Bruins. No wonder Bruins got rid of him after missing the playoffs the past 2 years.

Ya, the problem isn't mentality, its that the team wasn't good enough. Hitting just isn't an indicator of a teams ability. Pittsburgh hit a lot this season. So did Boston. You need skill and speed to pull it off and the Habs have precious little of the former and have been slipping badly on the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->