Out of Town - Who's your team during these Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
What?? He absolutely deserves an extension
He’s more valuable than Danault is yet he’s gonne get a long term deal
Byron easily deserves 3x3. He’s earned it. Two 20 goal season in a row. Has more goals than Galchenyuk and drouin the last 2 year yet we should just tell him to **** off.
Gimme a break. Pick on the players who Deserve it
Drouin, price and Galchenyuk.
yeah, sure, keep the 3rd and 4th liners cause they work hard while other team grab the skilled players and build good teams...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The word decent has never been so misused.

Is he paid by the CH or he's just living in la la land?

self serving takes... Not the first or last in the industry to use that approach.

Not worth paying attention to.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And then says that DLR led all NHL centermen in hits per game this year and he found that pretty impressive.
It's really no wonder teams are so bad at building themselves and drafting when you have a bunch of people like Grant used as scouts and morons like Bergevin as GMs.
No shit it takes them years to build proper clubs.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
yeah, sure, keep the 3rd and 4th liners cause they work hard while other team grab the skilled players and build good teams...
These are not mutually exclusive. Paul Byron IS a skilled player, his skills are speed, good on the forecheck, IQ and defensive skill. You need those too. I dont get your point. Does having Byron, even at 3 millions/year, prevents us from having great players? I'm not talking about the fact we rely on him too much. I think too that the Habs have an obsession over bottom 6 players. But we're talking about a guy who CAN play, produces and can fit on any line and skates as fast as the fastest players in the league.

Even if you go and rebuild, you need some good vets. Byron has a remarkable work ethic and commitment that Id want my young players to follow. He hustles like a demon. Sell the Shaws, DLR, D-Lo, Froese etc. I dont give a crap. But Byron is a good player to have, whether you are trying to rebuild or to compete. For sure if you get an offer that you cant refuse for him you take it.

Reactions: Forum93 and Zorba

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Grant has an obsession with PK, it's pretty weird at this point.
Their website ran a piece a year or so ago telling the 'Subbanistas' to get TF over the trade or something to that effect. Whether by detailed analysis or by simply picking a contrarian POV, they picked their position and will now continue to defend it to the death. Facts be damned.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The only thing Grant has going for him is that Timmins likely feels bad for his old friend who everybody hates and just feeds him enough information to keep him afloat.

He regularly shows that he doesn't know shit about anything. Armchair scouts on this board are better than him and I take their opinions more highly.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

tenor.gif

Swoosh! That's the sound of Grant McCagg's last ounce of dignity and credibility going down the toilet.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
You mean 3rd liners that have 42 g the last 2 years.., yes I’ll keep him
Might as well get rid of Gallagher since he played with 3rd line Byron
Great argument you have there. It’s called depth
Every team needs it.
Watch some hockey
Yup Paul Byron making 3 million will prevent the Habs from getting skilled players. Lol. Great argument.

Reactions: sharks9

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not knocking on Hedman.

I'm just arguing for who should get the Norris between Doughty, Subban and Hedman. Btw, the only one you didn't name in your list was Subban...

And I disagree for Doughty. Aside from Kopitar, there's no forward in LA that comes close to Kuch and Stamkos. Add the fact that LA is goal starved and wholy lack offensive depth compared to Tampa.

You can't disregard each of their context, especially for offensive stats and needs to be balanced with the impact of their different teamates, also versus the support the compared players get from their own teamates. In Hedman's case, there's so much offensive depth in TB aside from two forward superstars, i'm not surprised he comes first among D's for primary points per 60. Thing is, PK has more 5vs5 total primary points despite not having the same offensive support from elite forwards AND getting the highest 5vs5 Defzone start %.

Should we also disregard the context in which Subban gets 59 points on the most loaded team on the backend? It's a lot harder to get a good share of points when there are so many Ds that can take their share. You can also see this effect with Hedman who got 9 points less than last season partly because he now had Sergachev taking up his own share, also despite adding Stamkos as another elite forward to pot it in.

So I guess trying to balance every aspect is what's getting old...

Anyway. This whole stat pile-up started with talks about the Norris nominees.

I'm looking at their stats, contributions/impact, team performance, teamate performance.

What's getting old is knee-jerk reactions to stating a fact.

?

Compensate much?

So I guess you had no counter arguments so you decided to create this whole strawman based on pseudo-telepathic powers?

Yeah it's so pathetic to put a stat into context.

What age are you? I mean, mentally?

You are so insecure about this that you didnt even stop one second to evaluate my intention.

Ill give you a hint, go read the main board Norris thread, you might be surprised.

I mean, look at the bolded...

(Also, that defensive share argument is BS and you know it, PK plays enough minutes, Ellis was injured and Nashville has 7 first lines.)

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The Leafs have a long term goal which is to move their team into the upper echelon and keep it there, not just a short term for aone time shot at the cup. According to their plan this is about where it said they should be this year. It's too early for them.

Keep in mind though that the Leafs are a lot better than us (Habs), and so are Tampa Bay and so are Boston and with these three up there, it also means the Habs are displaced into the lower echelon of the division. If the Habs ever hope to make the playoffs, it is doubtful they will beat one of these three so it will have to be as a wild card. So don't laugh at the Leafs fans too hard, it may come back to haunt you since it looks likely it will be a long, long before the Habs get there again.

(BTW, the Leafs still have a lot of good ELCs yet to come, and with Mark Hunter and their scouting staff, they will still have more. They also have smarts and have money, while we have Molson, MB, and CJ.)

It's harder to keep your team in that upper echelon when you're up against the salary cap every year which the Leafs will be soon, plus they still need to make upgrades to their defense.

How do they have a lot of good ELCs to come? Liljegren is their only really good prospect, and now that they're a regular playoff team we'll see how good their scouting actually is when they don't have regular top-10 picks or high 2nds every year. After this draft our prospect pool will be better than theirs easily.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm not knocking on Hedman.

I'm just arguing for who should get the Norris between Doughty, Subban and Hedman. Btw, the only one you didn't name in your list was Subban...

And I disagree for Doughty. Aside from Kopitar, there's no forward in LA that comes close to Kuch and Stamkos. Add the fact that LA is goal starved and wholy lack offensive depth compared to Tampa.

You can't disregard each of their context, especially for offensive stats and needs to be balanced with the impact of their different teamates, also versus the support the compared players get from their own teamates. In Hedman's case, there's so much offensive depth in TB aside from two forward superstars, i'm not surprised he comes first among D's for primary points per 60. Thing is, PK has more 5vs5 total primary points despite not having the same offensive support from elite forwards AND getting the highest 5vs5 Defzone start %.

Should we also disregard the context in which Subban gets 59 points on the most loaded team on the backend? It's a lot harder to get a good share of points when there are so many Ds that can take their share. You can also see this effect with Hedman who got 9 points less than last season partly because he now had Sergachev taking up his own share, also despite adding Stamkos as another elite forward to pot it in.

So I guess trying to balance every aspect is what's getting old...

Anyway. This whole stat pile-up started with talks about the Norris nominees.

I'm looking at their stats, contributions/impact, team performance, teamate performance.

What's getting old is knee-jerk reactions to stating a fact.

Compensate much?

So I guess you had no counter arguments so you decided to create this whole strawman based on pseudo-telepathic powers?

Yeah it's so pathetic to put a stat into context.

What age are you? I mean, mentally?

Subjective I guess. Kopitar got what 95 pts and was in Hart trophy conversation.

Agree. Trying to balance every aspect is getting old.

My apologies . I jumped in and only caught the Hedman comments. Did not realize the discussion was pertaining to the three nominees. Btw, Did not mention Subban because I never thought of Forsberg and Johonson in that elite level of the others.(although Forsberg might change my mind on that these play offs)

None the less. Like a lot of seasons lately there is no run away. ie Lidstrom. Bourque. Any one of the three could win Norris and I would not have a problem with it.

I will say in context to your point that Doughty had to work the hardest among the three due to team played on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You mean 3rd liners that have 42 g the last 2 years.., yes I’ll keep him
Might as well get rid of Gallagher since he played with 3rd line Byron
Great argument you have there. It’s called depth
Every team needs it.
Watch some hockey
Yup Paul Byron making 3 million will prevent the Habs from getting skilled players. Lol. Great argument.
Everyone should be available. Blow it up.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You trust MB to get a better return for any of our players, especially someone like Byron? I don't.
you dont think I include MB in the explosion?

He is first to go.

Hell if MB is gonna remain running the team I am already on record saying I hope the Sens win the lottery.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Grant has pretty much gone off the deep end. I didn't always agree with the guy but his Tweets this season have been downright bizarre. He's talking about hits, plus minus and giveaways... either he doesn't know what he's talking about at all or he's just full on the propaganda train.

Either way, his opinion is something that carries absolutely no weight any longer (if it ever did.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad