Out of Town - Who's your team during these Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Of course I'm assuming that. Even with a fully healthy team, I would have had the preds winning in 5.

But looking at how this series has unfolded, a couple saves here by varlamov, and little more Johnson with a little less of Siemens, it's not crazy to think the avs could be right in the thick of this.
You could also say, the series is already over if Rinne doesnt allowed a goal on the game 1st shot he received the first 3 games.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
This was till supposed to be a building year for the Leafs according to their plan. It's a year too early for them, they still have a lot of players to bring up.

Unless the leafs make a big splash (get Tavares or Doughty), this was probably their best chance at a cup since Marner + Nylander + Matthews are making less than 3 million combined.
Next season, Nylanders new contract comes in, which will probably be around 7 million. The year after that, Nylander + Marner + Matthews will be making around 25 million combined.

They likely lose JVR and Bozak this summer, and dont have any viable replacement. They dont have any high end prospects either.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Pasta isn't that good. Sure he has 11 points in 4 games, but Plekanec shut him down in game 3. That's all that matters. Am I doing this right?

Yeah, downplaying Pastrnak is weird to say the least. Plekanec is an interesting case to defend, too.

He's been top 3 in forward ice time 5 on 5 for the last 3 years. Top 2 for centers. He usually gets quite a bit more time than the next or second next center, as well, so it's not like the team has been running 4 lines.

The last two years, he's been one of the worst 5 on 5 point producers in the league. We're talking almost 4th line p/60. You look at his linemates and save Hudon they produce more than he does. Not only that, but his p1/60 is brutal, absolutely brutal. He's basically a black hole offensively.

And skimming through the rest of the numbers, he's basically what most people see: a net - 0 impact. That means, you put him on the ice and over a season, nothing happens. Basically, you have almost 15 minutes of hockey where your team does nothing. Which is ok if you're a 4th liner, that's what's expected of you. But Plekanec's case, since he's usually paired with decent enough wingers and gets significant ice time, he basically nulifies what you should be doing in hockey: scoring more than the other team.

I've been trying to make him elaborate his case for him not being, at best, a third liner, but I've been met with one liners.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Of course I'm assuming that. Even with a fully healthy team, I would have had the preds winning in 5.

But looking at how this series has unfolded, a couple saves here by varlamov, and little more Johnson with a little less of Siemens, it's not crazy to think the avs could be right in the thick of this.
Ya sure..but you realize you can say the same for almost every game in the POs that isn't a blowout..

I mean, we could have beaten the Bruins the year they won the cup. Couple bounces out way here and there, and we win.
That is playoff hockey.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

tenor.gif

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Ovy delivers on his guarantee that the series will be tied going back to Washington. Honestly the series should be over. Columbus seems to create nothing on their own. The caps just blew the first 2 games with terrible defensive coverage, bad turnovers and poor goaltending. They played a pretty much perfect game today though.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ya sure..but you realize you can say the same for almost every game in the POs that isn't a blowout..

I mean, we could have beaten the Bruins the year they won the cup. Couple bounces out way here and there, and we win.
That is playoff hockey.

Sure, a healthy Markov might have been the difference. Wisniewski was also missing time by game 7.

Injuries happen, it's just sad that in the avs case, they accumulated injuries to a couple flagship guys just before the real season.

We've had 2 sweeps, and the rest are 3-1, with the exception of one series, so I'm kinda starving for some more suspense.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Grant is the type of guy I'd totally accidentally on purpose trip if I saw on the street and then accidentally on purpose fall on top of him with my elbow directed right to his mouth.

I hope Recrutes shuts down at the end of the year so he could go back to cleaning toilets.
:laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Next up with Grant McCagg:
"Congratulations on Pittsburgh's second-best center being considered to be one of top point producers this season. Amusing to say the least."

"Not sure opining that a 2nd line center is the 2nd-best on a team is an absurd contention."

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sure, a healthy Markov might have been the difference. Wisniewski was also missing time by game 7.

Injuries happen, it's just sad that in the avs case, they accumulated injuries to a couple flagship guys just before the real season.

We've had 2 sweeps, and the rest are 3-1, with the exception of one series, so I'm kinda starving for some more suspense.
Should get quite interesting in Rd 2.
Bruins vs TB
Pens vs Clb/Wsh
SJ vs Vegas
Win vs Nash..

Those are all potential Conference Final match ups really..Could make for some interesting series. Assuming Win-Nash happens as well.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I wouldn't condemn the Leafs too harshly. This is the first run for these guys and they usually flop in such a situation. Just like we swept the Lightning one year but they came back the next and beat us.

You dont live around here. They were talking stanley cup. They were bragging about winning 3 of 4 gainst the Bruins (without Mattews for two) Anderson better than Rask. Now that they are getting spanked they dont get to play the baby team just taking its first steps.

Before play offs began.
Mike Babcock....."we think we can beat then and they think they can beat us"
Mike Babcock....." we can play with any team in the league and beat them. We know that. Now we have to go do it"

Leafs play off hockey STINK so far. Pleks and Matthews are tied for goals. :laugh:

Pasternack in his second series ever.....11 pts

Mattews in his second series ever ...1 pt.

Earlier this year fan 590s Bob Macowan : "it is still to be determined who is the better player....MacDavid or Matthews"

Boston has a lot of rookies playing.

Just because this is a Canadiens board does not mean excuses fly for all teams.

The leafs are getting their asses kicked and it looks good on them. :nod:

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ovy delivers on his guarantee that the series will be tied going back to Washington. Honestly the series should be over. Columbus seems to create nothing on their own. The caps just blew the first 2 games with terrible defensive coverage, bad turnovers and poor goaltending. They played a pretty much perfect game today though.
General consensus from the talking heads is Columbus has been the better team through the first 3 games.

From what I watched both teams even and i like the physical game. Caps powerplay is a killer and they are getting lots of them.

Jackets playing great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad