Out of Town (where games matter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why did teams pass up on DeBrincat, when speed has become a dominant factor in today's NHL? Size?

He could reach 30 goals in his rookie season.

Small. And Yet, I have been told that today's league, people do not let small guys go. There's a reason why we were able to get Gallagher in the 5th....because people were mostly going for big guys at that time.....It's not like Steenbergen was chosen in the 5th round in 2017. Or that DeBrincat was chosen in the 2nd round while scoring 50 goals in his draft year in 2016. But I guess hockey has changed since then...lolllll

Reactions: PhysicX

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Small. And Yet, I have been told that today's league, people do not let small guys go. There's a reason why we were able to get Gallagher in the 5th....because people were mostly going for big guys at that time.....It's not like Steenbergen was chosen in the 5th round in 2017. Or that DeBrincat was chosen in the 2nd round while scoring 50 goals in his draft year in 2016. But I guess hockey has changed since then...lolllll
Adam Mascherin got picked just before Debrincat and he's undersized too. A guy scoring 167 goals in 191 games in the OHL like Debrincat did should never fall to the 2nd round.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I'm not too familiar with this #melnykout thing going on in Ottawa. Can someone give me a Coles notes version? Do they want him to sell the team? Are there potential buyers from Ottawa or could this potentially be an all time back fire where someone buys it from him and moves the team?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Adam Mascherin got picked just before Debrincat and he's undersized too. A guy scoring 167 goals in 191 games in the OHL like Debrincat did should never fall to the 2nd round.

And that was my point with Habs100. Yes, I understand. At one point hockey changed and bigger guys were less important. We ALL saw it. We all witness when grabbing and hooking was more important and when tough and big defensive guys were important. Yet...NEVER as important than skilled guys...but more important nonetheless. STILL, TO THIS DAY, smaller guys that have no business going late in a draft WILL go late and STILL because they might not be big enough. TO THIS DAY. As much as hockey changed. Gallagher going at 5th round in 2010 made no sense. But Steenberger going at 5th in 2017 STILL HAPPEN. Same for DeBrincat.

And this is going back to my debate about ''Timmins picked Tinordi cause we were in the big era'' false premise. Not because this wasn't the reason why they chose him. Yes, it was. But because when he comes back with ''this is where we were at that time'', I've showed tons and tons of real factual examples that teams went NOT for the bigger guy despite the era we were supposed to be in. Our bad picks were just that...bad picks. And if the point is ...''well they had to respond to us being small so they went big....'' it's even f***ing worst.

'Cause what it means is that they are going for needs with prospects they have NO IDEA if they'll make it. You are not talking about top 5 picks here. This is the ONLY way you go with needs....surefire prospects you KNOW that will make it and you really have spots to fill. EVeryting is should be BPA. And then, when you haev needs, you do Johansen for Jones. How the f*** is that not common practice? People would really explain and excuse Timmins picking Connor Crisp for needs and era purposes? Seriously? If so, it's even worst than just a bad pick.

Reactions: Watsatheo

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Ryan Donato playing his first NHL game for the Bruins tonight. Pierre McGuire has been hyping and pumping this guys tires for at least 2 years now saying how good he is. He said earlier today he's probably one of the best players not playing in the NHL yet. The rich get richer.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Ryan Donato playing his first NHL game for the Bruins tonight. Pierre McGuire has been hyping and pumping this guys tires for at least 2 years now saying how good he is. He said earlier today he's probably one of the best players not playing in the NHL yet. The rich get richer.
The rich know how to find talent and develop it

Reactions: sheed36

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The rich know how to find talent and develop it
2015 was an absolute disaster. Barzal, Connor and Chabot instead of those 3 guys would make them the best team in the league right now. They at least made up for it with the McAvoy pick, kid is a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad