Out of Town Thread: Sergachev Rising Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Lehtera has been dog ****, but at the time of the trade he did have value. Maybe not quite as much as Danault, but higher than Plekanecs for sure. And remember the Habs would have to BEAT the Blues offer- especially considering they are in conference. To fathom an offer that is BETTER than what the Blues paid, 2 firsts and Danault is realistic.
I really wanted Schenn on the Habs .

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The Canadiens have the worst GM in the league. The worst GM they have ever had.

Houle is worse, this shouldn't even be debatable.

He inherited a club with Damphousse, Turgeon, Recchi, Roy, Koivu, Theodore, Vokoun, and Darcy frickin Tucker when he took the GM job.

By the time he was gone, only Koivu and Theodore remained. He missed out on Iginla, Briere, and Hossa in the draft.

I loathe Bergevin and the fact he wasted his Cup window but even if he tried, he can't beat that.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've been saying it all year, but the Leafs aren't a good hockey team.

They're a good team... Not that far from being a great team.

The surprising aspect to me in the last couple years has been Freddy Andersen. He has been really good for the most part during his tenure. I was expecting an average #1 guy, but he's often been alot more than that whenever I tune in.

For as much of the spotlight that their forwards get, Andersen seems like he's as big of a backbone on the club as anyone else.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ha! Growing up, I’ve always (and still) hated the Bruins, but the Nords were a hot #2 on my list. I didn’t do a deep dive into Melnick’s situation, but I think Quebec at this point is a more economically viable situation.

How hot would it be right now if Quebec would have gotten the franchise instead of Vegas?
I don't think there is any doubt they would be topping us in the standings...
I also don't think there is any doubt passions would be stirred up like we haven't seen for decades.
MB would need more than one plant to hide behind. :laugh:

Reactions: Doc McKenna

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

He inherited a club with Damphousse, Turgeon, Recchi, Roy, Koivu, Theodore, Vokoun, and Darcy frickin Tucker when he took the GM job.

By the time he was gone, only Koivu and Theodore remained. He missed out on Iginla, Briere, and Hossa in the draft.

I loathe Bergevin and the fact he wasted his Cup window but even if he tried, he can't beat that.
OK . But between the two of these flounders. Picking the worst of the worst is purely splitting hairs. So I will concede. Houle was even worse than MB.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
How hot would it be right now if Quebec would have gotten the franchise instead of Vegas?
I don't think there is any doubt they would be topping us in the standings...
I also don't think there is any doubt passions would be stirred up like we haven't seen for decades.
MB would need more than one plant to hide behind. :laugh:

If Quebec got the expansion team and had the same start as the VGK and we had our current record, the city I am sure would erupt. There is no way MB would survive it.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

It's difficult to compare because Houle was mandated to cut costs even if it made the team worse. Some of his trades him dumping salary for prospects/picks because he had to cut costs. Those types of trades can look very ugly if the prospects don't work out.

Also I seem to remember Houle wasn't even the one who hired Mario Tremblay. Corey hired him which goes to show how different the circumstances were.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Yup, I'll gladly eat crow on that one. Tought he would be in Europe this year or at most on Vegas. Happy for the lil guy. Still, he's departure was long overdue on our team

Kudos to you for posting that, and i agree with you it was time for him to go play somewhere else

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Rangers' depth is awful down the middle, especially with Zibanejad injured, so they are using DD as first line center by default.. The only way DD can look decent is by playing with 2 big and fast skilled wingers that will create room for him on the ice.. He is playing with Kreider and Buchnevich, so Im not surprised to see him produce a bit, kind of reminds me when he was centering Patch and Cole where he had his best season ever.. Rangers will flush him as soon as their center depth get a bit better.

Okay......wathever :laugh::laugh:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's difficult to compare because Houle was mandated to cut costs even if it made the team worse. Some of his trades him dumping salary for prospects/picks because he had to cut costs. Those types of trades can look very ugly if the prospects don't work out.

Also I seem to remember Houle wasn't even the one who hired Mario Tremblay. Corey hired him which goes to show how different the circumstances were.

Hey look, I'm not saying Rejean Houle was a bad guy, or that he didn't have a lot of stress piled on him, or if a lot of what he did was by Ronald Corey's demand.

But it happened under his watch. And not everyone else was to blame for his decisions. Cut costs have nothing to do with skipping on Briere and Hossa.

It's unfortunate he gets the reputation, but it doesn't change the result. He's Nerva, chosen by the senate to come out of the shadows and lead when he doesn't deserve to. He did the best job he could, and it was a terrible job.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Hey look, I'm not saying Rejean Houle was a bad guy, or that he didn't have a lot of stress piled on him, or if a lot of what he did was by Ronald Corey's demand.

But it happened under his watch. And not everyone else was to blame for his decisions. Cut costs have nothing to do with skipping on Briere and Hossa.

It's unfortunate he gets the reputation, but it doesn't change the result. He's Nerva, chosen by the senate to come out of the shadows and lead when he doesn't deserve to. He did the best job he could, and it was a terrible job.

Houle was without a doubt in over his head and did a bad job. My point is merely that comparing results isn't a fair analysis due to factors out of the GMs control (Ownership mandates). He could've made better trades, picks, etc... so he's certainly a bad GM, but there will always be that unknown with Houle. Maybe if he had free reign he would've have done a better job. With Bergevin there isn't that question mark, he's unequivocally terrible.

As an example let's compare the Roy/Subban trades, I'd say it's Bergevin's was worse because trading Subban was his idea. Bergevin believed the team would be better with without Subban. Houle on the other hand was told he had to trade Roy and simply got a bad return, he didn't do it thinking it would actually make the team better. One guy is put into a bad position and makes bad decisions, the other was in a great position and ruined it with bad decisions. So I can understand/forgive Houle's incompetence much more then Bergevin's because there simply is no reason for Bergevin's dumb decisions.

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB

Bergevin is worse......Houle had zero experience anywhere in management or scouting.....Idiot president put them in that situation.....Bergevin was in the ranks for few years and even had recomondations......He inherited a nice group to start.....He's failed to build on that and has regressesed this team big time with "his vision" to build a winner.....worst GM in habs history as far as I'm concerned and it's not even close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad