Out of Town Thread: Sergachev Rising Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was on the tank wagon after that horrible start and after I realized our team D is not as good as it was. It's ridiculous to try to be a middle of the pack team based on what cards we have been dealt with this year.

Very curious to see how the rest of the season unfolds. It was not a good off season for Bergevin when we needed a good off season. Of course there are reasons for this and they have been well debated on these boards. However, if our GM is not able to adjust on the fly, then he will lose my support. We clearly need to take a step or two backwards.... Starts with trading Patch and Pleky. It's not rocket science.

Realistically, you saw everyone who was against Bergevin's moves proven correct. Many times over. So why are you still holding out hope that somehow this guy won't continue the pattern of poor moves and bad decisions?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Realistically, you saw everyone who was against Bergevin's moves proven correct. Many times over. So why are you still holding out hope that somehow this guy won't continue the pattern of poor moves and bad decisions?

Told you a hundred times. I said I evaluate NHL GM's year to year, not day to day or month to month.
I have also been on record multiple times since June that we are on a critical path with our GM. Yes, we did not have the off season we all wanted (and yes, we disagree on the reasons why) but I don't hate like you do and I want to see if our GM is able to adjust to the card he has been dealt this year. A good GM is able to adjust and be flexible... If Bergevin makes moves to try to put us firmly planted in the middle of the pack, he will lose my support. It's the wrong move at this stage. Is he worried about his job? What Price or Weber think? Don't know... time will tell.

I also choose to replace our President before we replace our GM.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Told you a hundred times. I said I evaluate NHL GM's year to year, not day to day or month to month. I have also been on record multiple times since June that we are on a critical path with our GM. Yes, we did not have the off season we all wanted (and yes, we disagree on the reasons why) but I don't hate like you do and I want to see if our GM is able to adjust to the card he has been dealt this year. A good GM is able to adjust and be flexible... If Bergevin makes moves to try to put us firmly planted in the middle of the pack, he will lose my support. It's the wrong move at this stage. Is he worried about his job? What Price or Weber think? Don't know... time will tell.

I also choose to replace our President before we replace our GM.

At a certain point you are going to have to face that Bergevin was not dealt a hand, as if the position this team is in has nothing to do with his own actions. You are downplaying his involvement. Every single issue this team has this season is a result of moves Bergevin made deliberately. He built this defense over a period of several seasons. He built the offense, the centers, the role players, all of it. This is his team, moreso today than ever before during his tenure.

Everything he has done so far has led up to... this. To this team. This sad, talentless, gutless group of losers. Trending downwards more each year.

So you say you evaluate year to year, but I call BS. Since 2014, Year to year, things have been getting worse.

It's not bad luck, it's not unexpected. It's not a bad hand of poker.

He's just really bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At a certain point you are going to have to face that Bergevin was not dealt a hand, as if the position this team is in has nothing to do with his own actions. You are downplaying his involvement. Every single issue this team has this season is a result of moves Bergevin made deliberately. He built this defense over a period of several seasons. He built the offense, the centers, the role players, all of it. This is his team, moreso today than ever before during his tenure.

Everything he has done so far has led up to... this. To this team. This sad, talentless, gutless group of losers. Trending downwards more each year.

So you say you evaluate year to year, but I call BS. Since 2014, Year to year, things have been getting worse.

It's not bad luck, it's not unexpected. It's not a bad hand of poker.

He's just really bad.

Like with Gainey, I never did do a true evaluation until years after and how his remaining draft picks ended up. I will do the same with Bergevin. Sorry if this upsets you that I don't go to the level you are at now with Bergevin. Attacking me on this is not cool. I have every right to evaluate on my terms as you do on yours.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
It was Bergevin's ingenious plan to trade away our top prospect, before failing to re-sign key UFA's thus tanking our season.

...because Tavares.

Bergevin actually already signed him to a 8 year contract with Montreal. He just didn't tell him yet due to being smart enough to know about tampering. People questioning will see light soon enough.

...because Tavares.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
I find it difficult to decide who I would prefer to win the Stanley Cup between those two. On the one hand, Tampa winning would basically make the tanking argument even more iron clad. On the other, could you imagine the damage control that would take place here if Subban hoisted the cup?

If I get one picture of Subban raising the cup, I'll give the mods plenty of work lol.
"yeah but they would've won with Weber"

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t know. They only lacked offence because Fiala got hurt and Mike Fisher was playing Top 6 minutes. Unless offence becomes an issue later in the season, I wouldn’t get a Top 6 player to mess with team chemistry. I’d target defensive depth, which is important that time of the season. They relied too heavily on the Top 4 all of last season, you don’t want to run them out of gas this season.
That's why they acquire Emelin. Emelin is your 5th dmen and then you have Weber, Irwin and Bitetto. I think it's good.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's why they acquire Emelin. Emelin is your 5th dmen and then you have Weber, Irwin and Bitetto. I think it's good.

Emelin is fine as a bottom pairing guy, for sure. But the other three are blah. But it’s still a better situation than most teams.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Last year the rest of the NHL's GM's voted Poile as the GM of the year. All he did was trade for Subban, pretty much. His team even finished 8th in the conference.

Wouldnt it be just another huge sign of Bergevin's ineptitude if Yzerman wins the GMOTY award, which would make it two years in a row where the GM that wins had their biggest trade with Bergevin before winning it!

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Wouldnt it be just another huge sign of Bergevin's ineptitude if Yzerman wins the GMOTY award, which would make it two years in a row where the GM that wins had their biggest trade with Bergevin before winning it!

I'm waiting for it. It would be amazing if Burkie and Tallon were in on it. In the media all ''oh wow, Bergevin is SUCH a good GM. He can tell if a player is good just by looking at them!'' and ''I feel sorry for Bergy, they're SOOO critical in Montreal.'' Meanwhile they're getting every other GM to vote troll him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So flyers want to trade Lehtera. St. Louis paid more for Schenn just to get rid of Lehteras contract. Some here think that we would have had to pay 2 1sts and Danault for Schenn. Lol.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Like with Gainey, I never did do a true evaluation until years after and how his remaining draft picks ended up. I will do the same with Bergevin. Sorry if this upsets you that I don't go to the level you are at now with Bergevin. Attacking me on this is not cool. I have every right to evaluate on my terms as you do on yours.

While I do agree you can do a full evaluation until well after a GM’s legacy is behind him, I think it’s rather short sighted that we can’t evaluate on a regular basis.

It’s like saying Timmins is a good scout until proven otherwise, yeah obviously there’s a time ratio.. but you can’t just wait 10-15 years to say if someone is doing a good job or not.

There’s plenty of evidence that’s been plastered all over this forum re: why Bergevin isn’t a good general manager. I’m not going to regurgitate them, they’ve already been well documented.

It takes a very special kind of person to sit here straight faced and say that they think Bergevin is doing a good job. I truly do not mean that as an insult.

Honestly, I wish I could be that naive & hopelessly optimistic.

There’s no way this man has done a respectable job managing this club, the needle sways much further toward catastrophic failure than it does even mediocre.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The really crazy thing about Nashville right now has been the lines they've been trying.

Nick Bonino - Ryan Johansen - Viktor Arvidsson (The BoJangles Line)
Kevin Fiala - Kyle Turris - Craig Smith
Filip Forsberg - Calle Jarnkrok - Pontus Aberg
Scott Hartnell - Colton Sissons - Austin Watson

So you got your best forward (Forsberg) on the third line, your best centre and RW on the top line, and your new centre with the young kid (Fiala) and a hot and cold vet (Smith).

At any time they can switch Bonino and Forsberg if they want to, but Bonino has looked pretty good with RyJo and Arvi.

That's depth. Arvidsson, Fiala, Cmith, Jarnkrok, Aberg, Sissons, and Watson are all homegrown. Forsberg, Johansen, Turris, and Bonino are acquired. Scott Hartnell is both in that he was originally drafted as a Pred and is returning as a veteran.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The really crazy thing about Nashville right now has been the lines they've been trying.

So you got your best forward (Forsberg) on the third line, your best centre and RW on the top line, and your new centre with the young kid (Fiala) and a hot and cold vet (Smith).

At any time they can switch Bonino and Forsberg if they want to, but Bonino has looked pretty good with RyJo and Arvi.

That's depth. Arvidsson, Fiala, Cmith, Jarnkrok, Aberg, Sissons, and Watson are all homegrown. Forsberg, Johansen, Turris, and Bonino are acquired. Scott Hartnell is both in that he was originally drafted as a Pred and is returning as a veteran.
whataboutNill

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

They’ve set themselves up well to win a cup. Rinne had some good rounds last year but he’s their biggest question mark right now imo. I’d love to see some futures and Rinne traded here during a rebuild and Price in Nashville and that team would surely get the job done.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
^ And with Tolvanen, who is already torching the KHL, possibly coming up as soon as next year. They're setting themselves to compete for many years to come.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
^ And with Tolvanen, who is already torching the KHL, possibly coming up as soon as next year. They're setting themselves to compete for many years to come.

Man, Tolvanen. He's so good.

And their cap is set. The only major players coming up for new deals, RFA or UFA, are Ellis and Rinne for 2019-2020. Fiala is also up as an RFA in 2019-2020. They have a set roster for this season and next season. Maybe they replace Emelin next year but that's it.

That good of a roster, and Tolvanen will be coming in.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So flyers want to trade Lehtera. St. Louis paid more for Schenn just to get rid of Lehteras contract. Some here think that we would have had to pay 2 1sts and Danault for Schenn. Lol.
Lehtera has been dog shit, but at the time of the trade he did have value. Maybe not quite as much as Danault, but higher than Plekanecs for sure. And remember the Habs would have to BEAT the Blues offer- especially considering they are in conference. To fathom an offer that is BETTER than what the Blues paid, 2 firsts and Danault is realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad