Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

dwonger

Feb 25, 2023
You could also think about it as the top 32 defencemen are #1's ect. ect. Which is logically the only really way of doing it.

I would call 25-39 1/2's.

The top 45 D's in the league would be in the top two of most teams in the league, including contenders. Chabot and Chychrun are both easily in that category.

There are more teams with no defencemen better than Chabot or Chychrun than teams that have more than one.
You are nuts. Only team I can think of with a dman not better than either of them is Arizona. Neither of them are in the top 45 dmen in the league either.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You are nuts. Only team I can think of with a dman not better than either of them is Arizona. Neither of them are in the top 45 dmen in the league either.

Lol @ nuts.

It would be a nearly unanimous vote that "Yes" - Chabot and Chychrun are both top 45 defenceman in the NHL. And that's only going to become even more apparent as time goes on.

Reactions: ginomini

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You could also think about it as the top 32 defencemen are #1's ect. ect. Which is logically the only really way of doing it.

The top 45 D's in the league would be in the top two of most teams in the league, including contenders. Chabot and Chychrun are both easily in that category.

There are more teams with no defencemen better than Chabot or Chychrun than teams that have more than one.

The way I think of it

"High-end #1D"/"Elite #1D": top 12 or so

#1D: top 32

#2D: 33 - 64

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

You have a seriously minority outlier opinion. Both are very likely in the top 30 right now. By the end of next season you will likely be able to add Sanderson to that. You say they aren't in the top 45? Name 45 better....

Chabot - Chychrun - Sanderson - Zub has the potencial to be one of the best top 4's in the league.

Teams without better defencemen:
Arizona
Anaheim
Calgary
Chicago
Columbus
Edmonton
Montreal
New York Islanders
Phily
Seattle
St Louis
Toronto
Washington

Reactions: cg98

dwonger

Feb 25, 2023
You have a seriously minority outlier opinion. Both are very likely in the top 30 right now. By the end of next season you will likely be able to add Sanderson to that. You say they aren't in the top 45? Name 45 better....

Chabot - Chychrun - Sanderson - Zub has the potencial to be one of the best top 4's in the league.

Teams without better defencemen:
Arizona
Anaheim
Calgary
Chicago
Columbus
Edmonton
Montreal
New York Islanders
Phily
Seattle
St Louis
Toronto
Washington
Actually I forgot about Montreal, the rest have at least one dman better then either of those two. Also, neither of the two are actually good at defending.

• Haha
Reactions: The Professional

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
And in a couple years Mr Sanderson will join them into the top 45

How about right now.
As good as Chabot has been over the years, (this year he’s been a little off) - Sanderson may be better than him already.
Not sure about JC since I haven’t seen enough of him but Sanderson is a machine - he won’t get enough PP time behind Chabot & JC for the time being so his points won’t pop for a bit but you can see it’s all there.

Reactions: topshelf15

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
How about right now.
As good as Chabot has been over the years, (this year he’s been a little off) - Sanderson may be better than him already.
Not sure about JC since I haven’t seen enough of him but Sanderson is a machine - he won’t get enough PP time behind Chabot & JC for the time being so his points won’t pop for a bit but you can see it’s all there.
I agree with you but for a defenseman that doesn't get a lot of PP time, it will take until end of next year to see him jump into the best 45 D

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Actually I forgot about Montreal, the rest have at least one dman better then either of those two. Also, neither of the two are actually good at defending.
Minnesota? Calen Addison? I don't think so.
St. Louis? No
Islanders? Dobson? Debatable.
Philly? No
Columbus? Werenski? Maybe
Edmonton? Nurse? I don't agree
Anaheim? Fowler? No
Pittsburgh? As good as Letang used to be, he's almost 36. I wouldn't have him ahead of Chabot or Chychrun.
Seattle? Vince Dunn? No

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Chychrun and Chabot are easily within the top 45 defenders in the NHL.
  1. Cale Makar
  2. Erik Karlsson
  3. Adam Fox
  4. Roman Josi
  5. Rasmus Dahlin
  6. Josh Morrissey
  7. Charlie McAvoy
  8. Victor Hedman
  9. Miro Heiskanen
  10. Quinn Hughes
  11. Jaccob Slavin
  12. Dougie Hamilton
  13. Hampus Lindholm
  14. Rasmus Andersson
  15. Noah Dobson
  16. Drew Doughty
  17. Adam Pelech
  18. Brent Burns
  19. Jakob Chychrun
  20. Mikhail Sergachev
  21. Alex Pietrangelo
  22. Vince Dunn
  23. Devon Toews
  24. Jacob Trouba
  25. Shea Theodore
  26. Filip Hronek
  27. Adam Larsson
  28. Chris Tanev
  29. Brandon Montour
  30. Kris Letang
  31. Jared Spurgeon
  32. MacKenzie Weegar
  33. Seth Jones
  34. Ryan Pulock
  35. Noah Hanifin
  36. Aaron Ekblad
  37. Thomas Chabot
  38. Colton Parayko
  39. Brayden McNabb
  40. Mattias Ekholm
  41. Zach Werenski
  42. Jonas Brodin
  43. Moritz Seider
  44. Justin Faulk
  45. Morgan Rielly

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

The bolded statement that you're replying to is very restrictive as written. Teams with 1 defenseman better than Chabot and Chychrun aren't counted at all.

If 6 teams don't have any d-men better than them and 5 teams have 2 d-men better than them, Silky's comment is proven correct.

Either way, they're both in the top-45. If the talent in the league were evenly spread, they would still be playing a lot and producing a lot.
Other the past 3 seasons in PPG among D-men:
Chychrun is 21st at 0.64
Chabot is 22nd at 0.63

Other the past 3 seasons in TOI among D-men:
Chabot is 2nd at 26:00
Chychrun is 26th at 23:12

Reactions: NyQuil

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
Any deal has to include Clarke or Byfield.. haha ... dude out waited the market

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How about right now.
Not sure about JC since I haven’t seen enough of him but Sanderson is a machine - he won’t get enough PP time behind Chabot & JC for the time being so his points won’t pop for a bit but you can it’s all there.

We said this about him for most of last year too. I think Sanderson is better and it's because it isn't that high of a bar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad