Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I cant listen right now but I thought the "better offers" referred to offers that had better assets but also included salary.

That said, I am sure there was some incentive to get the deal done with Ottawa for the reasons you state. Andy Scott is also an Ottawa boy, has spent probably 40 or his 45ish years here, and I can't help but think that he greased the wheels a bit, too.

Ultimately, however, I think the big issue was salary.
In the interview, he makes the distinction. First he says that it was clear that Arizona didn't want to take any money back. He then says that Pierre put in an offer that didn't send any money to Arizona because the Sens had the cap space. He then says that the "quid pro quo" was that Chychrun's camp wanted Chychrun to go "somewhere further along in the process" (ie. further along in the rebuild), then he says there were other teams that were "willing to do the same deal" or even "a better haul for Arizona", "so credit to Bill for honoring the agreement" (to send Chrychrun to a team that's "further along").

This lines up with Adams' complaint. My guess is that the Ottawa and Buffalo offers both included their 1st rounders, but maybe Buffalo's included an extra late pick or prospect or something. But maybe Armstrong justified it by the fact that Ottawa's 1st round pick was technically higher than Buffalo's at the time of the trade, but Adams didn't see it that way and considered both 1st rounders equivalent.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
In the interview, he makes the distinction. First he says that it was clear that Arizona didn't want to take any money back. He then says that Pierre put in an offer that didn't send any money to Arizona because the Sens had the cap space. He then says that the "quid pro quo" was that Chychrun's camp wanted Chychrun to go "somewhere further along in the process" (ie. further along in the rebuild), then he says there were other teams that were "willing to do the same deal" or even "a better haul for Arizona", "so credit to Bill for honoring the agreement" (to send Chrychrun to a team that's "further along").

This lines up with Adams' complaint. My guess is that the Ottawa and Buffalo offers both included their 1st rounders, but maybe Buffalo's included an extra late pick or prospect or something. But maybe Armstrong justified it by the fact that Ottawa's 1st round pick was technically higher than Buffalo's at the time of the trade, but Adams didn't see it that way and considered both 1st rounders equivalent.
Thanks for the breakdown, I appreciate it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Adams said Arizona asked for prospects not just picks from Buffalo. In an “unrelated” comment earlier in the presser he said there had been inquiries about Savoie and Kulich but they were non starters.

im not going to tell you to put 2 and 2 together but I don’t think Adams was talking big fish with anyone else.

If a GM told me he would take a protected 1 and 2 2s from one team but my team had to give up Savoie+ or Kulich+ instead of picks…I’m telling him to enjoy his underwhelming return and deleting his number.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Great pickup for OTT if he stays healthy. BIG if. Questionable if they will be able to re-sign if he blows up there. I guess they just flip him if that's the case.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Adams said Arizona asked for prospects not just picks from Buffalo. In an “unrelated” comment earlier in the presser he said there had been inquiries about Savoie and Kulich but they were non starters.

im not going to tell you to put 2 and 2 together but I don’t think Adams was talking big fish with anyone else.

If a GM told me he would take a protected 1 and 2 2s from one team but my team had to give up Savoie+ or Kulich+ instead of picks…I’m telling him to enjoy his underwhelming return and deleting his number.
Okay? I don't get your point. Aren't we saying the same thing?

Armstrong gave the Sabres an opportunity to beat the Sens offer, which was those prospects. Are you suggesting Armstrong should have accepted picks from the Sabres instead of picks from the Sens just because? The Sabres did not have a better pick than the Sens had. The Sabres had to beat, not just match the Sens offer.

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Great pickup for OTT if he stays healthy. BIG if. Questionable if they will be able to re-sign if he blows up there. I guess they just flip him if that's the case.
Given that he specifically wanted to go to Ottawa and he has a lot of family here, I like our odds. He’ll undoubtedly get a huge raise, but we really lucked out on the Stutzle, Tkachuk, and Batherson contracts being steals, so there’s room to give up a big contract, especially with a rising cap.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Given that he specifically wanted to go to Ottawa and he has a lot of family here, I like our odds. He’ll undoubtedly get a huge raise, but we really lucked out on the Stutzle, Tkachuk, and Batherson contracts being steals, so there’s room to give up a big contract, especially with a rising cap.
Sandy gets paid first

Reactions: topshelf15

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

He could also mean Columbus who was very much rumored.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Poor Coyotes fans, Buffalo GM Kevyn Adam's confirms the yotes took a lesser deal than what Buffalo was offering because Adam's wouldn't put 1 of Savoie or Kulich in the deal. Adam's straight out said Savoie and Kulich will not be moved. So the yotes excepted a lesser offer than what Buffalo was offering, up to the final hour before the trade with Ottawa was made.
Good for the Sabres, they have a GM with brass balls. Calling out Arizona at the deadline presser.

As a Sens fan I am so, so glad the Sabers didn't get Chychrun. That would have been such a tough pill to swallow, and would have made them so much harder to beat.

I cannot give Pierre Dorion enough credit for not only averting this disaster, but for paying less than I would have to avoid Buffalo getting him.

The stars really did align here for Ottawa and Chychrun himself, who seems to be very emotionally overwhelmed with how much playing in front of his family is going to mean to him.

Reactions: topshelf15

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I didn't know Ottawa 1st was 14thOA. That basically a mid 1st+2 mid seconds. Good chance the Sens continue to climb the standings.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
FB_IMG_1677890339919.jpg

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Ottawa doing a terrific job

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Surprised to find out that the Kings offer that almost landed Chychrun included none of the players everyone talked about..

Bjornfot + ‘23&’24 1st rounders

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Also probably Quick. Which was probably the deal breaker.
I think they said the deal was done but management said nope… I think it was Walker headed that way but they didn’t want any salary in return since their struggling financially

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think they said the deal was done but management said nope… I think it was Walker headed that way but they didn’t want any salary in return since their struggling financially
f***ing phew!

Also probably Quick. Which was probably the deal breaker.
Yeah, it must have been the reason why he paid a 2nd to get rid of Zaitsev.

This was like a 3-way trade, really.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think it was quick, not walker.

Az says they wouldn’t accept a dump for free. They said they want multiple 2nds for dumps like that. And they think they can get them in the summer. But if they eat one now they won’t have the budget to do their summer thing (Ladd, Gostisbehere, Stralman, Ritchie, Kassian, Nemeth, etc)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it was quick, not walker.

Az says they wouldn’t accept a dump for free. They said they want multiple 2nds for dumps like that. And they think they can get them in the summer. But if they eat one now they won’t have the budget to do their summer thing (Ladd, Gostisbehere, Stralman, Ritchie, Kassian, Nemeth, etc)

By my quick calculations, the Jackets ended up covering about $300k in Quick's salary. So interesting if that's what it came down to with the L.A. offer.

rt

May 13, 2004
By my quick calculations, the Jackets ended up covering about $300k in Quick's salary. So interesting if that's what it came down to with the L.A. offer.
AZ wouldn’t have known there would be a market for him at 50% - Also, they’d have lost their last retention slot which would’ve cost them a 3rd. - And maybe it was Walker. I don’t know. :dunno:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
AZ wouldn’t have known there would be a market for him at 50% - Also, they’d have lost their last retention slot which would’ve cost them a 3rd. - And maybe it was Walker. I don’t know. :dunno:

I mean I was very surprised Vegas wanted him, even at half retained.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Coyotes just need to hit on their pick that will likely be in the 10-18 range . Draft is deep so chances are good for that. Get a future too 6 F or top 4 D out of the pick that aligns with your rebuild it’s easy to sell the trade but if they bust on it … gg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad