Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Why screw Ottawa though?
Mortal hockey enemies. Screw Boston/Toronto/Ottawa

Someone's bitter
Absolutely. Montreal had better picks to offer Arizona. It's like he's been on the block for 18 months but they never shopped him around and then traded him for a shitty package. Makes no sense. Arizona should just give up and shut the franchise down.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Absolutely. Montreal had better picks to offer Arizona. It's like he's been on the block for 18 months but they never shopped him around and then traded him for a shitty package. Makes no sense. Arizona should just give up and shut the franchise down.
Chychrun didn't want to play with a bunch of scrubs in Montreal. Wanted to be on an up and coming team like the Senators.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
We said this about him for most of last year too. I think Sanderson is better and it's because it isn't that high of a bar.
I didn't say that last year, nor did the people who I think of as knowledgeable posters.

Chabot had struggles last year, and the cracks were beginning to show, but that just means he isn't a 27 minute a night DMan. He does certain things extremely well and has shown in the past he can be a reliable, albeit beatable, defender.

Chabot can easily be a 22.5-24.5min D who is elite on the breakout, in transition/in the neutral zone, good goal scoring and o-zone play, good option on PP1 or PP2, 40-50pt a year DMan who can skate with just about anyone. Maybe he "only" ends up a Jay Bouwmeester. But Chabot is extremely skilled, athletic, and we have seen it when he's not exhausted - he's a smart player.

I think you just have a short memory, and maybe short patience.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
You should settle on one. Give 1 team 100% of your hatred instead of spreading yourself too thin.
Disagree, I have enough hatred to hate both Montreal & Toronto infinity.

When they fly, I root for gravity.

When they drive, I root for oncoming traffic.

Why? Because f*** the Habs & Leafs.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Montreal has barely started rebuilding and they told Chychrun that he would be traded to a playoff team.

Ottawa is making the playoffs and Montreal is going to be bottom 10 team for the next while. Maybe Armstrong figured Florida would go on a run to end the year?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Montreal has barely started rebuilding and they told Chychrun that he would be traded to a playoff team.

Ottawa is making the playoffs and Montreal is going to be bottom 10 team for the next while. Maybe Armstrong figured Florida would go on a run to end the year?
I doubt Montreal was offering up their first this year. The Florida pick will be right around where the Ottawa pick lands. AZ did ask / work with Chychrun on his desired destination. Chychrun likely selected Ottawa because of his family connection to the area.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Mortal hockey enemies. Screw Boston/Toronto/Ottawa

I'm a sens fan but I don't say screw Montreal or Toronto or Boston or buffalo or get mad when they get a good player. I'm still not getting it. Only during a playoff matchup with them will I say that.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't say that last year, nor did the people who I think of as knowledgeable posters.

Chabot had struggles last year, and the cracks were beginning to show, but that just means he isn't a 27 minute a night DMan. He does certain things extremely well and has shown in the past he can be a reliable, albeit beatable, defender.

Chabot can easily be a 22.5-24.5min D who is elite on the breakout, in transition/in the neutral zone, good goal scoring and o-zone play, good option on PP1 or PP2, 40-50pt a year DMan who can skate with just about anyone. Maybe he "only" ends up a Jay Bouwmeester. But Chabot is extremely skilled, athletic, and we have seen it when he's not exhausted - he's a smart player.

I think you just have a short memory, and maybe short patience.

I haven't written Chabot off, he might settle in as a 1D eventually for all I know. The skills are there.

But we have to be honest that the processing issues have been going on for years now. "Great player but not great right now" has been the reality for most of this year and last.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I haven't written Chabot off, he might settle in as a 1D eventually for all I know. The skills are there.

But we have to be honest that the processing issues have been going on for years now. "Great player but not great right now" has been the reality for most of this year and last.
He will excel in a 2D role regardless of his 1D skillsets.

He is trying to too much in too many minutes. He slots really well as the second best defender that can facilitate the powerplay.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
He will excel in a 2D role regardless of his 1D skillsets.

He is trying to too much in too many minutes. He slots really well as the second best defender that can facilitate the powerplay.

Actually... question for Sens fans. Both Chabot and Chych are used to eating a TON of minutes. Idk about Chabot (being a Yotes fan I don't watch as many sens games) but Chych has zero problem with it -- ie his play doesn't suffer even if he plays half the game. You'll see that for yourself relatively soon depending how the DJ Smith deploys these guys.

Do you see both Chabot / Chych going down to a more normal load say 20-22 mins / game? Both these guys play the left side, imo both are borderline 1Ds so no reason to not split / lower the minutes esp bc Sanderson is right there and needs to play too.

Really appreciate the assist thx!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Actually... question for Sens fans. Both Chabot and Chych are used to eating a TON of minutes. Idk about Chabot (being a Yotes fan I don't watch as many sens games) but Chych has zero problem with it -- ie his play doesn't suffer even if he plays half the game. You'll see that for yourself relatively soon depending how the DJ Smith deploys these guys.

Do you see both Chabot / Chych going down to a more normal load say 20-22 mins / game? Both these guys play the left side, imo both are borderline 1Ds so no reason to not split / lower the minutes esp bc Sanderson is right there and needs to play too.

My guess:
Chabot/Chychrun: 22.5-24.5min
Sanderson: 21-23min
Zub: 19-21min
Hamonic: 15-18min
Brannstrom: 14-17mins

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

Chabot struggles mightily recently (last two years) when he is leaned upon to take hard match ups for north of twenty-five minutes.

As of right now, he is too prone to have mental lapses and defensive collapses to play big minutes constantly night and night out.

Yeah Chabot eats up a lot of minutes, and yeah maybe he can play half of them exceptionally well, probably a quarter mediocre and the other quarter dreadful. Chabot has been blessed with great skating and it bails him out alot.

Chychrun is just solid at all times whenever he’s on the ice (from limited viewings so far). I said this in our game day thread, it just feels calm whenever he’s on the ice.

Reactions: PainForShane

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Chychrun is looking like a guy who can play relatively comfortably no matter who he's paired with - and can make them look better in the process. He is exactly what this team has needed.

Reactions: OmniSens

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This move might have got Ottawa into the playoffs. They got an incredible deal. Armstrong tried to do what sakic did with Duchene, then realized he wasn’t joe sakic and got the discounted return version

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Chychrun, Chabot and Sanderson could end up being one of the best bluelines in the league.

If 1A Dmen are top 10-15 guys in the NHL, and 1B Dmen are 15-30 or so, then the Sens will fairly comfortably be able to say the might have three #1B guys next season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What a shitty deal. Did Chychrun come with a bow tie on his head? Rumours are other teams were waiting to hear back to negotiate, he would have returned more. Pathetic gift to Ottawa.

It that what the Liver King told you? Try some testicle he says those are great! Gross.
I'm pescetarian and even I have to say liver is actually an extremely nutrient dense food. Don't overeat it to avoid toxicity from certain heavy metals and vitamin a, but otherwise it is actually very nutritious and much healthier than flesh meat.

Reactions: ck26

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3