Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Chychrun is looking like a guy who can play relatively comfortably no matter who he's paired with - and can make them look better in the process. He is exactly what this team has needed.

Agree with this 100% -- last year we had him playing 3rd pair with whichever random AHL d-man we were calling up that game, on his off side no less. Guys like Cam Dineen and Capobianco -- Dineen wasn't even close to NHL level, no idea why he played 50 games with us (!), Capo was a good AHL-level offensive defenseman but wasn't developing quickly enough so we traded him to WPG, incidentally he scored the other night but he's only played 10 NHL games for them this season. Chychrun still looked ok, he finished -20 but he also had 21 points in 47 games, both are not terrible statlines because a) no offensive help and b) he basically spent all of ES paired with / babysitting some of the very worst defenders in the entire league while also playing for the Yotes (doesn't help most stats).

Anyway to your point, with the Yotes he's shown can play with anyone. He's historically had his best years paired with pure offensive defensemen (Goligoski, GhostBear), even as a borderline 1D imo he will be able to contribute on any pair

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Agree with this 100% -- last year we had him playing 3rd pair with whichever random AHL d-man we were calling up that game, on his off side no less. Guys like Cam Dineen and Capobianco -- Dineen wasn't even close to NHL level, no idea why he played 50 games with us (!), Capo was a good AHL-level offensive defenseman but wasn't developing quickly enough so we traded him to WPG, incidentally he scored the other night but he's only played 10 NHL games for them this season. Chychrun still looked ok, he finished -20 but he also had 21 points in 47 games, both are not terrible statlines because a) no offensive help and b) he basically spent all of ES paired with / babysitting some of the very worst defenders in the entire league while also playing for the Yotes (doesn't help most stats).

Anyway to your point, with the Yotes he's shown can play with anyone. He's historically had his best years paired with pure offensive defensemen (Goligoski, GhostBear), even as a borderline 1D imo he will be able to contribute on any pair
Yup, his best season was '20-'21 when he went 18-23-41 when paired with Goligoski. They were great together.

Last season he had roughly the same 23 min ATOI but they were considerably harder minutes with OEL gone and being forced to play against opponent's top-lines early in the season and then dropped down to 2nd/3rd pair. Musical chair D partners (Stralman, Lybushkin, Ghost and the AHL guys) didn't help.

This season back with Ghost full-time....who is similar to Goligoski, LH veteran playing right side, strong puck mover and mobile.

Think that's the key for Ottawa finding a similar profile D partner.

Reactions: PainForShane

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Yup, his best season was '20-'21 when he went 18-23-41 when paired with Goligoski. They were great together.

Last season he had roughly the same 23 min ATOI but they were considerably harder minutes with OEL gone and being forced to play against opponent's top-lines early in the season and then dropped down to 2nd/3rd pair. Musical chair D partners (Stralman, Lybushkin, Ghost and the AHL guys) didn't help.

This season back with Ghost full-time....who is similar to Goligoski, LH veteran playing right side, strong puck mover and mobile.

Think that's the key for Ottawa finding a similar profile D partner.
That is basically what Ottawa has in abundance playing with him. Either Nick Holden, who is less of a puck mover these days than earlier in his career, but he's still solid vet with the puck and a lefty playing RHD. We are also trying Brannstrom who is obviously not a veteran but he's a good puck mover who likes playing on the right.

Reactions: NB613 and AZviaNJ

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Why? They’re similar caliber players and Chychrun returned more by quite a bit
When all is said and done it will be a additional 2nd, which is in 2026 when I imagine Ottawa will be picking mid round or later.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm still in a state of shock that the Sens got Chychrun. Mostly because he's somehow even better than I ever expected. Best high profile young roster player to get traded in many years imo, and it will be a wtf head scratcher kind of a trade for the hockey historians in the future to analyze.

I just keep waiting for the warts to appear, but holy crap every single indicator says that this guy has no way to go but up from here. Unless he starts taking steps back due to injury, he could very well be challenging for a Norris someday in the near future.

Not only is he physically built like a peak level Steve Rogers/Captain America, but he skates and shoots the puck as well as all but a handful of dmen on the planet. He's just so mobile and rangy out there its hard not to notice.

And most of all he just oozes hockey IQ at both ends of the rink, the dudes ability to make plays and break them up are top tier good. He just simply looks like a kid who was a former hockey phenom and expected to do huge things, that is now beginning to fulfill those promises of greatness.

Last edited:

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Ottawa drafting 6th right now is a huge difference than any other pick being offered. He needs to stay healthy but a good move for both teams.

Everyone bashing the Canucks they desperately needed a RHD who can slot into the top 4 or top pair. They obviously weren’t willing to offer their 1st in the Bedard draft.
No. Not 6th. Not then, Not now. They will be in a battle with the Islanders for the wild card. Thus a great trade for Ottawa and once again Arizona shits the bed.

Reactions: Jakey53

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Thought he looked great to start, but last night he looked completely lost. Start cooking your liver, man.

Thought it was an awful trade by Arizona, but I would warm up to it if they can get into the top 10 this year.

1678714097213.png

• Haha
Reactions: NB613 and Kaizen

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Our dumbass coach is hesitant to play him with Chabot at ES, I think that would be the best option based on your description

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Our dumbass coach is hesitant to play him with Chabot at ES, I think that would be the best option based on your description

Yeah, I don't know enough about your roster either way, would it unlock Chabot offensively if he was continually activated / didn't have to worry about playing defense? Maybe it would, idk. Potentially worth a try I guess, I mean, why not try at least esp if the team keeps losing. Playoffs are still possible but you guys have just started a really tough stretch, hopefully DJ can get all you guys firing together

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
and the mediatards were mocking Armstrong for only getting one first instead of two. Never realizing that the Sens pick was a lock to be a top 15...possibly top 10. Armstrong all but said that in the presser but didn't want to push the "Sens have zero shot at making the postseason" narrative too hard.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I'm still in a state of shock that the Sens got Chychrun. Mostly because he's somehow even better than I ever expected. Best high profile young roster player to get traded in many years imo, and it will be a wtf head scratcher kind of a trade for the hockey historians in the future to analyze.

I just keep waiting for the warts to appear, but holy crap every single indicator says that this guy has no way to go but up from here. Unless he starts taking steps back due to injury, he could very well be challenging for a Norris someday in the near future.

Not only is he physically built like a peak level Steve Rogers/Captain America, but he skates and shoots the puck as well as all but a handful of dmen on the planet. He's just so mobile and rangy out there its hard not to notice.

And most of all he just oozes hockey IQ at both ends of the rink, the dudes ability to make plays and break them up are top tier good. He just simply looks like a kid who was a former hockey phenom and expected to do huge things, that is now beginning to fulfill those promises of greatness.
Matthew Tkachuk was traded last season. Others like Meier, Debrincat, Laine, Dubois are also arguable. Probably missing others.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Geez dude, don't jinx it.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Chychrun, Chabot and Sanderson could end up being one of the best bluelines in the league.

If 1A Dmen are top 10-15 guys in the NHL, and 1B Dmen are 15-30 or so, then the Sens will fairly comfortably be able to say the might have three #1B guys next season.
chabot kinda stalled. he'd need to get back on track to be a top 30 dman.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
and the mediatards were mocking Armstrong for only getting one first instead of two. Never realizing that the Sens pick was a lock to be a top 15...possibly top 10. Armstrong all but said that in the presser but didn't want to push the "Sens have zero shot at making the postseason" narrative too hard.

People seem to not understand the difference in value between a mid 1st and a late 1st.

Mid 1st is worth almost two late 1sts in value. See last draft where the Yotes traded the 27th, 34th and 45th picks for the 11th overall pick.

If Armstrong had gotten a late 2023 1st, likely late 2024 1st and a 2nd from a contender I don't think the reaction to the return would have been as negative, despite the return being worse.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
People seem to not understand the difference in value between a mid 1st and a late 1st.

Mid 1st is worth almost two late 1sts in value. See last draft where the Yotes traded the 27th, 34th and 45th picks for the 11th overall pick.

If Armstrong had gotten a late 2023 1st, likely late 2024 1st and a 2nd from a contender I don't think the reaction to the return would have been as negative, despite the return being worse.
11th overall next........maybe top 10.............

and-here-we-go-joker.gif

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

HFBoards is truly awful at contextualizing 1st round picks. They see 1st round picks go in trades and think they're all the same...

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Thought he looked great to start, but last night he looked completely lost. Start cooking your liver, man.

Thought it was an awful trade by Arizona, but I would warm up to it if they can get into the top 10 this year.

View attachment 668282
No disrespect to Columbus but I hope Bedard ends up in Chicago or a Cali team.

1. Don't want him in the east as a leafs fan.
2. Players don't seem to commit to CBJ. How long before we're talking about Bedard wanting out?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Yep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad