Olympic qualification - Vojens 7-10 february

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Congratulations to all the Slovenians on these boards, truly a proud day for you as a hockey nation, great team effort. Glad for Kopi too, I would've never thought he will get a chance to play in the Olympics.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Congratz Slovenia, you deserved it..

Your guys have heart something our guys lacked today.

And great tactical approach your coach had.. Simple and effective :)

I can't explain how dissapointed I am though, this has become a habit for Denmark..

I think I am going to take a Hockey Hiatus from now on.. Too many dissapointments on national team side.

What a horrible year 2013 for Danish National teams across the different sports.. :(

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
Congrats. You were the better team. I'm so disappointed in the Danish players. The heart was there but we really just weren't good enough.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Can't say I didn't call it....

On the plus side I got a good win on the game as I put money on a Slovenian win, at a good return :)

Im gonna go as far as saying, that imo Denmark are among the favourites to relegate from the WC. We showed the exact same tendencies as in WC 2012. AWFUL PP, and AWFUL passes.

Is it me, or does PB seem like he is getting too old for this?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well hockey is an unpredictable sport,upsets happen. But anyways,atleast will be able to see kopitar in the olympics.

I understand that from a neutral point of view, there are always positives, but right now I couldn't give two rats ***** about Kopitar :(

I am so incredibly dissapointed in the danish team.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I understand that from a neutral point of view, there are always positives, but right now I couldn't give to rats ***** about Kopitar :(

I am so incredibly dissapointed in the danish team.

I wanted denmark to qualify,so my point of view is not exactly neutral.and i know how it feels,latvia has its share of blunders too (btw against the same slovenia 5:2 loss at wc)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I wanted denmark to qualify,so my point of view is not exactly neutral.and i know how it feels,latvia has its share of blunders too (btw against the same slovenia 5:2 loss at wc)

Yeah im gonna warm myself with the fact that our women are doing well and that our U18's beat Norway.. It aint much but it's all we got..

Now im not looking forward to the WC, im actually nervous about it..

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah im gonna warm myself with the fact that our women are doing well and that our U18's beat Norway.. It aint much but it's all we got..

Now im not looking forward to the WC, im actually nervous about it..

Totally respect for Slovenia. They had the right attitude and knew how to play their opponents to win. They really believe in their chance. [Great coaching]. When you beat both Belarus and Denmark you deserve it.
Totally typical for danish teams when they are favourites - they start playing to slow feeling they need to "control" the match and forget it's about fighting spirit. Slovenia played the right way which Denmark also used to play some years ago. Keep it simply!
General the danish players are total inefficient in front of goal. My prediction about Nicklas Jensen was true. When he isn't on a maxed out line he seems to disappear like he does in AIK.
Frederik Andersen has been good, but we needed great to qualify.

So Ill also nervous about next WC...we have to relearn to "fight" if we want to avoid relegation risks.

I'm totally disappointed - our team fell apart mentally like the danish handball team in the WC final (more fear of losing than joy of winning?). Danish psychology still have enormous problems when favourites and under pressure.

We need a new coach that can re-ignite our players. Bäckman now has two flops in a row!

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Totally respect for Slovenia. They had the right attitude and knew how to play their opponents to win. They really believe in their chance. [Great coaching]. When you beat both Belarus and Denmark you deserve it.
Totally typical for danish teams when they are favourites - they start playing to slow feeling they need to "control" the match and forget it's about fighting spirit. Slovenia played the right way which Denmark also used to play some years ago. Keep it simply!
General the danish players are total inefficient in front of goal. My prediction about Nicklas Jensen was true. When he isn't on a maxed out line he seems to disappear like he does in AIK.
Frederik Andersen has been good, but we needed great to qualify.

So Ill also nervous about next WC...we have to relearn to "fight" if we want to avoid relegation risks.

I'm totally disappointed - our fell apart mentally like the danish handball team in the WC final. Danish psychology still have enormous problems when favourites and under pressure.

We need a new coach that can re-ignite our players. Bäckman now has two flops in a row!

But maybe you guys will go into the next wc as underdogs and suprise everyone?That`s if the theory of danish mentality is correct :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
But maybe you guys will go into the next wc as underdogs and suprise everyone?That`s if the theory of danish mentality is correct :laugh:

Exactly...it's the way it works! We have to give up first, then surprise everyone (because then we don't fear losing since it's expected).

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Exactly...it's the way it works! We have to give up first, then surprise everyone (because then we don't fear losing since it's expected).

It`s sad Denmark didnt qualify,now it only leaves latvia for possible qualification in the holy quest of punishing Norway for all their wrong-doings :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
It`s sad Denmark didnt qualify,now it only leaves latvia for possible qualification in the holy quest of punishing Norway for all their wrong-doings :laugh:

True :laugh:
We seriously need a new coach to get a fresh beginning and probably a change of playing style - back to basis.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
Unlike the qualification tournament four years ago I don't feel AS disappointed this year - still disappointed though. Four years ago I felt we deserved the victory, and I thought we were clearly the better team. Watching these two matches this year it becomes painfully obvious that when playing without our NHL'ers the Danish team is mediocree at best with scrubs from tier-2 Sweden as our go-to-guys. We simply aren't better than what this result justifies. We saw it at the last WC and we're seeing it now. Playing at the Olympics would be awesome, but it could very quickly become a humiliating experience whenever Frans, Philip, Bødker and Jannik are taking breathers.

I don't know about Bäckman - what other options did he have? Denmark is always better with our backs against the wall. We haven't been used to being favorites or controlling the matches in the last ten years. To me it seemed the players were motivated but underestimated the opposition in some way.

Yesterday we shot wide from 3 meters away 7 times at least, fanned on the pucks, moved the puck slowly and wanted to dangle the entire Slovenian team at all times. Defensively we were not great but at least kept them at two, and that should give you all chances of winning. Offensively is where we struggle, and as I said that is a result of suddenly needing to control the matches rather than stay put and await.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
This is probably been repeated to end but depth is so important in todays hockey,without it,you can`t achieve good results,whats the point of those 7 NHLers for denmark if you cant qualify.Denmark needs a solid bunch of players in SEL/KHL/Sm liiga to be succesful.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Unlike the qualification tournament four years ago I don't fell AS disappointed this year - still disappointed though. Four years ago I felt we deserved the victory, and I thought we were clearly the better team. Watching these two matches this year it becomes painfully obvious that when playing without our NHL'ers the Danish team is mediocree at best with scrubs from tier-2 Sweden as our go-to-guys. We simply aren't better than what this result justifies. We saw it at the last WC and we're seeing it now. Playing at the Olympics would be awesome, but it could very quickly become a humiliating experience whenever Frans, Philip, Bødker and Jannik are taking breathers.

I don't know about Bäckman - what other options did he have? Denmark is always better with our backs against the wall. We haven't been used to being favorites or controlling the matches in the last ten years. To me it seemed the players were motivated but underestimated the opposition in some way.

Yesterday we shot wide from 3 meters away 7 times at least, fanned on the pucks, moved the puck slowly and wanted to dangle the entire Slovenian team at all times. Defensively we were great but at least kept them at two, and that should give you all chances of winning. Offensively is where we struggle, and as I said that is a result of suddenly needing to control the matches rather than stay put and await.

I agree what you say, but maybe we should play a more Swiss/Czech playing style - more defensive orientated a fast contra hockey when we have the chance. We don't have the quality to control games. you are right that our team feel more mediocre than it was four years ago when we lost to Norway.
This slow control-game achives nothing as you say when you don't have the fast drives towards the net. The czech play their contra-style against anyone....even weaker teams (like Denmark last WC). We started to think "we play so well - we might have a chance" - they open up and then the czechs punish them.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Any candidates?

Actually I don't have that much knowlegde about coaches...but maybe we should try a czech one for change??

The swedish playing style is very inefficient if your team doesn't have snipers....like the SEL when they lose their best players to NHL and KHl it becomes pretty low scoring.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well I agree with most of what is being said. I think PB looked tired and old, during the timeout he hardly said anything..

And imo the players didn't look motivated and to me they laked spirit.. I for one think we can be better.

Some more bad news for us, but good for you Helo:

Latvia beat Belarus 6-0 i the u18 tourney and played in the final with Denmark today.

The game ended 2-2 and went to SO witch Latvia won after many attempts from both teams.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Well I agree with most of what is being said. I think PB looked tired and old, during the timeout he hardly said anything..

And imo the players didn't look motivated and to me they laked spirit.. I for one think we can be better.

Some more bad news for us, but good for you Helo:

Latvia beat Belarus 6-0 i the u18 tourney and olayed in the final with Denmark today.

The game ended 2-2 and went to SO witch Latvia won after many attempts from both teams.

1996 year is generally considered one of the better one for us. Do you happen to know the scorers for Latvia?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad