Olympic qualification - Vojens 7-10 february

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
I think Denmark has a good chance winning this tournament. Are Belarus really that strong?

Like someone already stated in this thread most of the players on Belarus team are KHL bench-warmers. Would be fun to watch the face of dictator Lukashenko when the Danes foockes his team up :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I think Denmark has a good chance winning this tournament. Are Belarus really that strong?

Like someone already stated in this thread most of the players on Belarus team are KHL bench-warmers. Would be fun to watch the face of dictator Lukashenko when the Danes foockes his team up :laugh:

Yes the chance can't really be better, but you know with danish players. They can also crumble under stress....WC handball final anyone :shakehead

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The danish forward lines for tomorrows game against Ukraine are as following:

Mads Christensen (DEL)- Morten Green (DEL) - Morten Madsen (SEL)
Nichlas Hardt (SM-liiga)- Julian Jacobsen (DEL) - Nicklas Jensen (SEL)
Patrick Bjørkstrand (Allsv.)- Jesper Jensen (Allsv.) - Frederik Storm (Allsv.)
Kirill Starkov (Allsv.)- Thor Dresler (Al-Bank) - Morten Poulsen (Allsv.)
13'th forward: Lasse Lassen (Al-Bank)

D-pairs:
Daniel Nielsen (DEL) & Stefan Lassen (Allsv.)
Jesper B. Jensen (SEL) & Philip Hersby (Allsv.)
Mads Bødker (Allsv.) & Mads Bech Christensen (Al-Bank)
7th d-man: Rasmus Nielsen (Al-Bank)

Goal: Frederik Andersen (AHL)

Source:
http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/her-er-baeckmans-hold

So the tension is building. It's by the way the fourth olympic qualification attempt for Morten Green, so let it be now!

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
Crazy lines..

Morten Poulsen is certainly one of the 6 best forwards. He should be in first line - Morten Green goes to the 3.
Mads Christensen centers the 1.

And I like morten green and what he has done for Denmark, but if we qualify for the olympics, there is no way he'll be on the team. Maybe as a reserve for faithful service, but he shouldn't see much icetime.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Crazy lines..

Morten Poulsen is certainly one of the 6 best forwards. He should be in first line - Morten Green goes to the 3.
Mads Christensen centers the 1.

And I like morten green and what he has done for Denmark, but if we qualify for the olympics, there is no way he'll be on the team. Maybe as a reserve for faithful service, but he shouldn't see much icetime.

I totally agree that Morten Poulsen playing 4'th line is weird. He is the only danish forward that currently put goals in the net (even Nicklas Jensen has a slump at the moment).
Starkov playing 4'th line?....usually defensive discipline has not been his forcé.

I had Morten Green as center 4'th line, while I would have taken Morten Madsen as center 1'st line and have Nicklas Jensen RW with Nichlas Hardt/Mads Christensen LW on first as well.
You would take Mads Christensen....I would probably prefer him on the wing, but it would still be a better choice than Morten Green if we wanted a dominant first line. But I think Bäckman wants to even out his lines - his mistake last WC was to max out a first line that simply didn't work (especially not on PP).
Morten Green has been a great player for Denmark, but his production has really gone down a lot the last 1½ year compared to former times.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Norway won over us in the last qualification, but this time we don't have to play them. So our chances will never be bigger than now!! If we can't win a qualification on home ice against Belarus, Slovenia and Ukraine, then we can't except to go for a long time.
It's still going to be very tough, but it's still the best chance we can hope to get.

Im just covering my ass:) Anti jinx as we know it :) Plus I always have a bad feeling when Denmark play OG Qual.. I dunno we just always seem too loose concentration at some point.

Boy have I got the same feeling :laugh:

But this time around it just can't go wrong. If Frederik Andersen and Nicklas Jensen's gonna have to carry this team on their backs all the way to Sochi then be it! We have to get to these Olympics! :yo:

Well im begging for this ! :nod:

I think what's so scary about this group for Denmark, is that all 3 opponents tend to have focus on heavy defence, and Belarus have good goaltending and a tight defence.
Denmark are not super against those types of teams. THats why some of us are nervous :D

I totally agree that Morten Poulsen playing 4'th line is weird. He is the only danish forward that currently put goals in the net (even Nicklas Jensen has a slump at the moment).
Starkov playing 4'th line?....usually defensive discipline has not been his forcé.

I had Morten Green as center 4'th line, while I would have taken Morten Madsen as center 1'st line and have Nicklas Jensen RW with Nichlas Hardt/Mads Christensen LW on first as well.
You would take Mads Christensen....I would probably prefer him on the wing, but it would still be a better choice than Morten Green if we wanted a dominant first line. But I think Bäckman wants to even out his lines - his mistake last WC was to max out a first line that simply didn't work (especially not on PP).
Morten Green has been a great player for Denmark, but his production has really gone down a lot the last 1½ year compared to former times.

I think PB is trying to spread the lines, Morten P is scoring, but he is not that experienced.

Also Mads C at center? He is way to small and not physical enough.. So I agree with Justinov on that one.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I'm certainly nervous. It's so important that they get a super start against Ukraine, so they get confidence and an enthusiastic respons for the fans. It will be needed against Slovenia and Belarus - we generally play very tight matches with them.

Belarus are always very disciplined in defence ("poor mans Swiss") and with Koval in goal you really need SKILL to get past that. Nicklas Jensen in goal form will be a must for Denmark, since Nichlas Hardt is still struggling after his knee injury and Morten Madsen also have a goal scoring slump lately.

From what I remember Slovenia is a less physical more fast team ("poor mans Latvia"), so against them we have to be READY from the start and not play slowly as danish players can do when they are favourites - then they often forget to work the behind out the trousers (Italy game last WC anyone!). Don't let the Rodman brothers fool you...even though it's "only" DEL-2. Marcel Rodman is drafted (2001) and he scores goals (leads DEL-2 in points)..

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
While we are talking we have a surprising development in the qualification.

Kazakhstan leads 3-2 against France in the 3'rd period!
Slovenia leads Belarus 1-0 after first period.

Pretty surprising if this stands......

Austria leads Italy 2-0 after first period....thats more expected.

Last edited:

pRisly

Jun 30, 2010
Slovenia
While we are talking we have a surprising development in the qualification.

Kazakhstan leads 3-2 against France in the 3'rd period!
Slovenia leads Belarus 1-0 after first period.

Pretty surprising if this stands......

Austria leads Italy 2-0 after 2 periods....thats more expected.

Second starts now. Very good game so far for our national team

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Belarus are always very disciplined in defence ("poor mans Swiss") and with Koval in goal you really need SKILL to get past that.

With all due respect Koval can't stop a beach ball this season.

And Kazakhstan - France, I thought everybody's expecting Kazakhs to win that one.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Slovenia has 2-0 now over Belarus!!

And it's 2-2. Belorussians understand they have to win this and this team has just too much quality to lose to Slovenians. Unless Kristan completely steals the show. But he doesn't so far.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
And it's 2-2. Belorussians understand they have to win this and this team has just too much quality to lose to Slovenians. Unless Kristan completely steals the show. But he doesn't so far.

Yeah how fast things can change it hockey (thats why i said France still had a chance)!

Cant really decide what result is best for Denmark....[we have to win all three, when it's such a small group]

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wow even if its 2-2 Slovenians still lookin pretty good playing against nation from Elite division.

Kind of weird when Latvian says it as you guys have lost to basically the same Slovenian team 5-2 year and a half ago.

P.S. Kristan with pretty ugly Masalskis-like dive

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Kind of weird when Latvian says it as you guys have lost to basically the same Slovenian team 5-2 year and a half ago.

P.S. Kristan with pretty ugly Masalskis-like dive/QUOTE]

Never would i even imagine calling Masalskis a diver,how the hell can you even call a goalie a diver? field players-sure,but goalies really dude. Calm down.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Slovenia is actually an elevator nation between elite and division 1, and I never underestimate them since they have beaten us in the elite division before. (2005 relegation game lost 4-3, 2006 draw 3-3 - beat Latvia 5-2 in 2011).

Slovenia 3-2 (Slovenia comes back after losing a 2-0 lead to 2-2 in 1 minute, that could have broken other underdog teams)!
Goal a penalty!
In WC 2011 Belarus won 7-1 against Slovenia, so a real improvement!

Austria-Italy 3-2 (Italy gets closer).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad