Olympic qualification - Vojens 7-10 february

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Very good news indeed: Frederik Andersen is released by Norfolk Admirals to play for Denmark.
http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/frederik-a.-paa-ol-holdet

The roster looks like this so far:

Goalies:
Frederik Andersen, Norfolk Admirals (AHL)
Simon Nielsen, Lukko (SM-liiga)
Patrick Galbraith, Oskarshamn (Allsv)

Defence:
Jesper B. Jensen, Rögle (SEL)
Daniel Nielsen, Hamburg Freezers (DEL)
Mads Bødker, Malmö Redhawks (Allsv)
Stefan Lassen, Malmö Redhawks (Allsv)
Philip Hersby, Malmö Redhawks (Allsv)
Rasmus Nielsen, Herning Blue Fox (Al-Bank)
Mads Bech Christensen, Frederikshavn White Hawks (Al-Bank)

Forwards:
Nicklas Jensen, AIK Stockholm (SEL)
Morten Madsen, Modo (SEL)
Nichlas Hardt, Jokerit (SM-liiga)
Morten Green, Hannover Scorpions (DEL) - Captain.
Mads Christensen, Eisbären Berlin (DEL)
Julian Jakobsen, Hamburg Freezers (DEL)
Frederik Storm, Malmö Redhawks (Allsv)
Patrick Bjorkstrand, Mora (Allsv)
Jesper Jensen, Karlskrona (Allsv)
Kirill Starkov, Oskarshamn (Allsv)
Morten Poulsen, Oskarshamn (Allsv)
Lasse Lassen, Herning Blue Fox (Al-Bank)
Thor Dresler, Herlev Eagles (Al-Bank)

Overall: 0 NHL, 1 AHL, 3 SEL, 2 SM-Liiga, 4 DEL, 9 Allsvenskan (4 from Malmö and 3 from Oskarshamn), 4 Al-bank liga.

Beside the missing NHL players and the Lauridsen brothers from AHL its the best we could hope for with no european based "star" players injured at the moment.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So how do you rate your chances of qualifiying? Which team do you think is going to be the biggest challenge for Denmark?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So how do you rate your chances of qualifiying? Which team do you think is going to be the biggest challenge for Denmark?

Belarus since they can probably get their KHL players, so they will have more depth than us. Slovenia even without Kopitar and Mursak will be tough as it always it. Ukraine without Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky should be alot easier.

So Denmark-Belarus is 50-50
Denmark-Slovenia 66-33
Denmark-Ukraine 90-10

But whether the danish team will go down with nerves or rise to the occasion probably depends on a good start against Ukraine. Then they will get confidence.

Edit: Belarus has 30 players in the KHL, and two great goalkeepers - Mezin and Koval. Andrey Kostitsin will be their star player.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Belarus since they can probably get their KHL players, so they will have more depth than us. Slovenia even without Kopitar and Mursak will be tough as it always it. Ukraine without Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky should be alot easier.

So Denmark-Belarus is 50-50
Denmark-Slovenia 66-33
Denmark-Ukraine 90-10

But whether the danish team will go down with nerves or rise to the occasion probably depends on a good start against Ukraine. Then they will get confidence.

Is it just me or theres something wrong with your math there Justinov? :laugh:
Anyway,i think you guys will win and qualify as most of belarussian players who play in the KHL are bench-warmers.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Is it just me or theres something wrong with your math there Justinov? :laugh:
Anyway,i think you guys will win and qualify as most of belarussian players who play in the KHL are bench-warmers.

yeah well 66.6666666666 etc/33,3333333333 etc was to long for me lol

Anyway this will be goalie against goalie with the star players taking the responsibility in the last match.
Probably Andersen vs Koval and Nicklas Jensen against A. Kostitsyn (or something like that), who will take it. The last game will be a horrible nervous affair.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
yeah well 66.6666666666 etc/33,3333333333 etc was to long for me lol

Anyway this will be goalie against goalie with the star players taking the responsibility in the last match.
Probably Andersen vs Koval and Nicklas Jensen against A. Kostitsyn (or something like that), who will take it. The last game will be a horrible nervous affair.

If i learned anything in play-offs when Riga was playing against torpedo is that if Koval gets hot-it`s nearly impossible to stop him!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
If i learned anything in play-offs when Riga was playing against torpedo is if Koval gets hot-it nearly impossible to stop him!

Both Mezin and Koval have been seen having monsters games before when it counts.
Mezin has been tournament goalie in WC 2009 and KHL all-star and Koval looked really good last WC and was selected as KHL all-star last year.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Both Mezin and Koval have been seen having monsters games before when it counts.
Mezin has been tournament goalie in WC 2009 and KHL all-star and Koval looked really good last WC and was selected as KHL all-star last year.

So how would you project denmarks lines?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So how would you project denmarks lines?

Dont know but i might choose something like this as forwards

1st line: Hardt-Madsen-Nicklas Jensen (Nicklas Jensen shines the most when on a max'ed line, in lower lines in AIK he produces nothing).
2nd line: Mads Christensen-Jesper Jensen-Starkov (very offensive - little bulk)
3rd line: Storm-Jacobsen-Morten Poulsen (tough hardworking line with offensive skill)
4th line: Dresler-Green-Lassen (hard working veteran line, since Green doesn't produce what he used too, but has experience)
Patrick Bjørkstrand is rookie so ill have him as substitute for Morten Poulsen on 3rd that again could change with Starkov on 2nd.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
If the NHL was actually locked out your group would have been the group of death, no question. Denmark with its 6 solid NHLers including Bødker, Eller, Nielsen, Regin, Larsen and Hansen, Belarus with the Kostitsyns and Grabovski, Slovenia with Kopitar and Mursak and Ukraine with Ponikorovsky and Feds. From a numbers point of view, it looks like you guys might have been hurt the most with the NHL resuming its course.

Who would you say was hurt the most without the NHL players participating? Does Denmark's group of six match or exceed Grabovski & Sergei? It would be a massive upset to lose to Ukraine or Slovenia without Kopitar IMO, so it will clearly depend on how you fare against Belarus.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
If the NHL was actually locked out your group would have been the group of death, no question. Denmark with its 6 solid NHLers including Bødker, Eller, Nielsen, Regin, Larsen and Hansen, Belarus with the Kostitsyns and Grabovski, Slovenia with Kopitar and Mursak and Ukraine with Ponikorovsky and Feds. From a numbers point of view, it looks like you guys might have been hurt the most with the NHL resuming its course.

Who would you say was hurt the most without the NHL players participating? Does Denmark's group of six match or exceed Grabovski & Sergei? It would be a massive upset to lose to Ukraine or Slovenia without Kopitar IMO, so it will clearly depend on how you fare against Belarus.

I think that Denmark will be hurt most against Belarus. Losing 6 players - best defender and 2 first lines will affect the chance especially against Belarus that always have a good defence and great goalies. Slovenia and especially Ukraine will be very affected to be without their 2 NHL players. Slovenia can surprise both Belarus and Denmark though.

Daltonbror*

lol 9 players from allsvenskan? On the swedish olympic team there would be less than 9 players from elitserien. Well Good luck Denmark

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
lol 9 players from allsvenskan? On the swedish olympic team there would be less than 9 players from elitserien. Well Good luck Denmark

Yep...its pretty obvious that Denmark lacks depth. We have 4 players from the Danish league that is a bit below allsvenskan in skill-level. But lack of depth goes for all the smaller hockey nations including Belarus, Slovenia and Ukraine.

Last edited:

Daltonbror*

Yep...its pretty obvious that Denmark lacks depth. We have 4 players from the Danish league that is a bit below allsvenskan in skill-level. But lack og depth goes for all the smaller hockey nations including Belarus, Slovenia and Ukraine.

I remember Andersen from his time in Frölunda. He is a really good goalie, I don't think he's quite good enough to play in NHL, he should have stayed in Elitserien to develope even further and then make a move to the KHL. I said in another thread that Denmark has moved pass Norway, if Norway and Denmark were to face eachother when both teams had their absolute best players Denmark would win comfortably.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I remember Andersen from his time in Frölunda. He is a really good goalie, I don't think he's quite good enough to play in NHL, he should have stayed in Elitserien to develope even further and then make a move to the KHL. I said in another thread that Denmark has moved pass Norway, if Norway and Denmark were to face eachother when both teams had their absolute best players Denmark would win comfortably.

I agree that he probably should have stayed 1 more year in Frölunda, but after a weak start he has done pretty good in NHL lately.
It's his redraft move from Carolina to Anaheim that is mindbaffling.
He might have had a shot being backup goalie to Cam Ward in contest with Dan Ellis, now he is after Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth...not really any improvement and he might have got labelled as "difficult" by that move.

Norway and Denmark is a derby it will be very close even with all our NHL players, while without them Norway is clearly better.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Since Denmark more or less can field their strongest teams there were not many surprises in my opinion:

Forwards:
Last year I would have thought Thomas Spelling would be in, but because of his non-playing crisis in Røgle and non-production for Oskarshamn as well, he has lost his place to Lasse Lassen (Herning) who has been playing great lately.
Kim Staal (Herlev) could also maybe have been considered (but not by Bäckman), and Kim Lykkeskov (SønderjyskE) had informed Bäckman that he declined to play. Did Christoffer Kjærgaard (Lausitzer Füchse - DEL-2) decline as well?
I actually think Thor Dresler (Herlev) was a lock for our 4'th line with his routine and constant willingness to work hard for the team; so in my opinion only 1 forward spot was really open (and also the fact that Bäckman loves his game).
Nikolaj Ehlers is still too young for the NT olympic qual, (but maybe for the WC?) and Oliver Bjørkstrand was busy in NA.

For defence: The two "seats" for the 4th d-pair was pretty open in my opinion. Bäckman chose Rasmus Nielsen (Herning) and Mads Bech Christensen (Frederikshavn).
Kasper Jensen (Aalborg) was himself very surprised not being on the roster.
You could also argue that Michael Eskesen from SønderjyskE could have been included as well.

The inclusion of Frederik Andersen means that Sebastian Dahm (Rødovre) again becomes the 4'th in the goalie hierarchy and out of the roster.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The olympic qualification roster for Belarus: (Some cuts are still to be made).
BOL = Belarus Open League
(for the sake of names of have used "Y", where "I" or sometimes "J" could have been used).

Goalies:
Vitaly Koval (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL)
Dmitry Milchakov (Metallurg Zhlobin, BOL)
Stepan Goryachevskih (Donbass Donetsk, KHL)

Defenders:
Vladimir Denisov (Dinamo Minsk, KHL)
Oleg Goroshko (Dinamo Minsk, KHL)
Pavel Chernook (Dinamo Minsk, KHL)
Andrey Filichkin (Gomel, BOL)
Jaroslav Maslennikov (Gomel, BOL)
Nikolay Stasenko (Severstal Cherepovets, KHL)
Ilya Kaznadey (Metallurg Zhlobin, BOL)
Ilya Shinkevich (Metallurg Zhlobin, BOL) - out with illness: Substitute: Yevgeny Lisovets (Neman Grodno, BOL) -> cut from roster.
Dmitry Korobov (Syracuse Crunch, AHL) - was not released.

Forwards:
Andrey Stas (Dynamo Minsk, KHL)
Alexander Kulakov (Dynamo Minsk, KHL)
Alexander Kitarov (Dynamo Minsk, KHL)
Dmitry Meleshko (Dynamo Minsk, KHL)
Sergey Drozd (Dynamo Minsk, KHL)
Andrey Mikhalyov (Dynamo Minsk, KHL)
Andrey Kostitsyn (Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL) - thrown out by coach: Substitute: Mikhail Stefanovich (Gomel, BOL).
Alexey Kalyuzhny (Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL)
Sergey Demagin (Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk, KHL)
Alexey Ugarov (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL)
Konstantin Koltsov (Atlant Mytishchi, KHL)
Artem Senkevich (Gomel, BOL)
Andrey Stepanov (Amur Khabarovsk, KHL)

So Vitaly Koval and Andrey Kostitsyn are the stars of this team. No Kostitsyn means one star less for Denmark to worry about.
But it seems like a team that Denmark will have to play at their very best to win over.
Andrey Mezin rejected by coach Shabelka.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Slovenia's olympic qualification roster:
EBEL = Erste Bank Eishockey Liga (mainly Austria, but also with a team in Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia and Czech Republic).
PHL = Professionalnaya Hokkeinaya Liga (Ukraine)
LM = Ligue Magnus (France)
Serie A is in Italy
Tipsport Extraliga is here the Slovakian one.

Goalies:
Luka Gracnar (EC Salzburg ,EBEL)
Andrej Hocevar (Sokil Kiev, PHL)
Robert Kristan (Medvescak Zagreb, EBEL)

Backs:
Blaz Gregorc (Odense Bulldogs, Al-Bank Liga)
Sabahudin Kovacevic (HK SKP Poprad, Tipsport Extraliga)
Ales Kranjc (Kölner Haie, DEL)
Ziga Pavlin (Rögle, SEL)
Klemen Pretnar (Villacher SV, EBEL)
Mitja Robar (Krefeld Pinguine, DEL)
Andrej Tavzjl (Rouen, LM)

Forwards:
Luka Basic (Amiens, LM)
Bostjan Golicic (Briancon, LM)
Ziga Jeglic (Södertälje, Allsvenskan)
Gasper Kopitar (Mora, Allsvenskan)
Ales Music (Olimpija Ljubjana, EBEL)
Rok Pajic (Val Pusteria Brunico, Serie A)
Ziga Pance (Olimpija Ljubjana, EBEL)
Thomas Razingar (Ravensburg Towerstars, 2. Bundesliga)
David Rodman (Bietigheim Steelers, 2. Bundesliga)
Marcel Rodman (Bietigheim Steelers, 2. Bundesliga)
Robert Sabolic (ERC Ingolstadt, DEL)
Rok Tikar (Kölner Haie, DEL)
Jan Urbas (Växjö, SEL)

Really a team from all over the place. Blaz Gregorc has been playing really well lately for Odense. They have a Kopitar, but it's littlebrother Gaspar that plays with Patrick Bjørkstrand in Mora. But it's not a team to be taken lightly - but I still expect a win for Denmark:
2 SEL, 2 Allsvenskan, 4 DEL, 3 in 2. Bundesliga, 1 Extraliga, 5 EBEL, 3 LM, 1 Al-bank liga, 1 Serie A, 1 PHL.
Not that much more different from our team if you see from quality of leagues.

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
So Vitaly Koval and Andrey Kostitsyn are the stars of this team.
But it seems like a team that Denmark will have to play at their very best to win over.
Suprisingly no Andrey Mezin on the roster.

Kostitsyn wont be taking part, Skabelka has kicked him out because he didnt show up to location on the agreed time. It also shouldnt be that much of a surprise Mezin isnt here, he left the team last year without telling anybody, Skabelka dosnt seem like the type of person who is going to put up with bullsh*t.

Stefanovich will replace Kostitsyn while Shinkevich is out due to illness, 18-year old Lisovets will come in for him.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Kostitsyn wont be taking part, Skabelka has kicked him out because he didnt show up to location on the agreed time. It also shouldnt be that much of a surprise Mezin isnt here, he left the team last year without telling anybody, Skabelka dosnt seem like the type of person who is going to put up with bullsh*t.

Stefanovich will replace Kostitsyn while Shinkevich is out due to illness, 18-year old Lisovets will come in for him.

Thanks for the news...well that certainly is very positive from a danish perspective!
Still Belarus will be a tough team to beat.

Nicklas Jensen is ready from his minor shoulder injury. He will be hugely important since we really lack goalscorers in form right now....only Morten Poulsen from Oskarshamn is streaking at the moment.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Thanks, but we prolly wont ;)

Danish mentality when it comes down to it... Well yeah you should know, Norway has done the bad thing to us some times now at all levels ;)

Norway won over us in the last qualification, but this time we don't have to play them. So our chances will never be bigger than now!! If we can't win a qualification on home ice against Belarus, Slovenia and Ukraine, then we can't except to go for a long time.
It's still going to be very tough, but it's still the best chance we can hope to get.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Thanks, but we prolly wont ;)

Danish mentality when it comes down to it... Well yeah you should know, Norway has done the bad thing to us some times now at all levels ;)

Boy have I got the same feeling :laugh:

But this time around it just can't go wrong. If Frederik Andersen and Nicklas Jensen's gonna have to carry this team on their backs all the way to Sochi then be it! We have to get to these Olympics! :yo:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad