Confirmed with Link: Oilers trade Puljujarvi to the Canes for Patrik Puistola

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Oil and JP fan coming in peace.lol

The big thing is that his fancy stats are always good but the eye test rarely is.

So here was the tweet before today's game

and that all looks great!

But I looked up the scoresheets and watched the third today (Necas!!!!)

5gps, minus 3 and 0 points and I barely saw him in 3rd period but have noticed he's had top 6 minutes. Plus/Minus is flawed for sure so no need to point that out.

But what are Cane fans seeing? Stats darling doing great things or a guy who can't put up points despite being surrounded by very good players?

Reactions: geehaad

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
He looked pretty good his first 2 Today all I saw was a period and we won't discuss the Toronto game.

course the team hasnt been good recently. and our goalies have been an adventure..

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

The big thing is that his fancy stats are always good but the eye test rarely is.

5gps, minus 3 and 0 points and I barely saw him in 3rd period but have noticed he's had top 6 minutes. Plus/Minus is flawed for sure so no need to point that out.

But what are Cane fans seeing? Stats darling doing great things or a guy who can't put up points despite being surrounded by very good players?

He's been around in a position to do some good things on a handful of occasions but he just always seems to rush things or flub the shot/pass.

We'll see if he improves any as he settles in. It's been a weird time to transition in.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022

For me it looks like Puljujarvi has zero confidence in his own ability to drive offense. The instant he sees an out through a pass or shot he takes it. He has created some nice chances and had plenty of right-place-right-time plays but it hasn't paid off. But largely he plays hot potato with the puck.

Maybe that never changes and he can function as a fine Jesper Fast replacement on the shutdown line. Maybe he can grow into his game more, slow things down and start using the strengths he has. Same thing I'm sure Edmonton fans have said every offseason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The buy is his next contract.

Like I said he's a project. But he should make no more than fast
yep, you got it exactly right.

I've been one of the bigger critics of the whole move to offer-sheet KK (not so much the contract afterwards), but from a long term perspective, if he continues to improve like he has been, I'll be glad to be wrong.

Not saying Jesse will be the same, but their bet is that he has some untapped potential so take a chance on a project and if it doesn't work out, he didn't cost much.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I know I am a fan of the player and biased, but it's a small wonder he hasn't registered a single point yet as he has made multiple nice plays that have contributed to a scoring chance - it can't all be blamed on him. That said, I agree, at least in part, to MadeUpName's observations about his confidence, even though he has in fact looked more confident with the Canes than with the Oilers. I've always though he could challenge the D more with his speed and reach, things he has done in the past. However, I am confident that this will work out for the best for the Canes and the player, even if it takes some time. And in the off-chance that things go south, I'm glad he got the opportunity.

Reactions: Borsig

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
He'd settle for less than 3, if he gets more than one year.
Are you his agent? :laugh: I don’t think he’s in much of a position to demand a multi-year contract and I certainly wouldn’t want to offer him one at this point. It would bode well for both him and the team to take a cheap one year prove it kind of deal. Let him attempt to get his career back on track in a comfortable environment and then talk again in summer of 2024.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

We don’t think he’s a scorer and could care less. He’s Fast’s replacement and when he’s there he’s going to provide similar numbers. If he scores at his Edm rate in THAT role he’s pretty much perfect. He’s big, fast, and can make a mess of a forecheck.

A third for a third liner who does his job well works for me.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
He's been around in a position to do some good things on a handful of occasions but he just always seems to rush things or flub the shot/pass.

We'll see if he improves any as he settles in. It's been a weird time to transition in.
Which reminds me of Necas last season. If he can do what Necas did in the offseason, could see great results next season.

But he’s also on a new team, has a few familiar teammates to help him, and he’s probably putting too much pressure on himself.

Reactions: Kaptah and zman77

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Well, if he Jesse Puljujärvi even can't drop Jesper Fast out of my hometown hero of Jönköping/Husqvarna (HV71) then it's a bad sign.
Real bad.

It's up time to him to step up.

Big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad