Friedman: Oilers offseason moves?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
LOL, centers switch to wing pretty easy if needed. But looking at the Oiler drafting history you are correct they would never have taken Barzal, he’s a good NHL player. Oilers rarely draft a good NHLer outside the top 3.

Sorry Oiler fans but that’s the truth and why you can trade your way out of this mess. Oilers need to learn to draft, then talk about being anything other than a one season wonder.

LOL and the NYI do ? Oilers drafting has been a lot better since Chia has taken over . 5th round Bear has already played a little in the NHL . Bash Chia for a trade or 2 is fine but lets not make him out to be something he not .

Forget Reinhart trade that was the OBC .
Talbot was a good trade
Eberle quit on the team . Strome cost less is better defensively and plays decent as our 3 C at 60% of the cap while producing at about 60% pace . No one on here said Eberle had negative value . No he is traded he is worth his contract ? Now we get RNH isn't worth his contract yet he is 10 times the player Eberle will ever be .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Eberle has always been a soft player, because the Oilers couldn't get any legit tough skill guys to play with him. Never been poor enough to be a considered a cap dump, the team was just poorly constructed.

Yes he was . Everyone and their dog on HF said he had negative value and the Oilers overrate him . RNH is the way better player and we hear it on HF all the time . He not worth his cap hit , he has negative value . We heard it about Hall , he a cancel , bad attitude I wouldn't want him on my team for free . He gets trade and it Chia is an idiot trading Hall

Reactions: ivanlwan

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not sure what you are talking about. Yakupov was a consensus #1 pick. All scouts wanted him all over the league. He was a bust but there was no mistake made based on information had at the draft

Edmonton scout did not want him . So you don't know what you are talking about . When the owner has to override someone it fair easy to know it was someone in Edmonton . Not what TSN posts

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Bitter Oilers fan much :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Over Hall, Sure.

Over Eberle? Not even a little. He's the guy that puts up some points but contributes very little else to winning hockey games.

He sure didn't push the Islanders into the playoffs. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You are doing reading comprehension wrong. It was stated that a player who "earns" his paycheck can't be a cap dump. I stated that the Oiler franchise probably felt like he didn't "earn" his paycheck with his inability to step up during the playoffs. I made no mention of the Oiler's inability to go deep in the playoffs in relation to Jordan Eberle. You should make a habit of reading carefully and commenting on what's written, rather than injecting your own fantastical ideas into what people write.

So you are saying the player with the best 5 on 5 corsi in the playoffs was not earning his cheque. You don’t think there was another problem on that deeply flawed team? People who think points are everything have no clue about hockey and when they get arrogant about their tiny bit of hockey understanding it makes them look even worse.

Sure you can come back with only results matter. You’re seeing the results of good hockey this year. Eberle plays good hockey and they “dumped” him for a spare part.

Last edited by a moderator:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
LOL and the NYI do ? Oilers drafting has been a lot better since Chia has taken over . 5th round Bear has already played a little in the NHL . Bash Chia for a trade or 2 is fine but lets not make him out to be something he not .

Forget Reinhart trade that was the OBC .
Talbot was a good trade
Eberle quit on the team . Strome cost less is better defensively and plays decent as our 3 C at 60% of the cap while producing at about 60% pace . No one on here said Eberle had negative value . No he is traded he is worth his contract ? Now we get RNH isn't worth his contract yet he is 10 times the player Eberle will ever be .
I’m not trying to insult Oiler fans when I say their drafting sucks. I think Oiler fans deserve better. I’m not an Oiler fan but I’d love to see you poor fans get the team you deserve.

You poor Oiler fans are so brain washed and full of hope when it comes to your drafting. I’ve been going to the Oiler board every couple years saying Oiler fans deserve better. Every time the reply is ; new regime they’re doing better now. They never do. There is just nothing behind that. Bear, Benson? C’mon. I hear about how good these guys are from Oiler fans all the time. They don’t even make THNs top 100.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Eberle was a cap dump. Reinhart wasn't for Barzal, it was for picks. Still bad value, but any of the players we picked could have busted too. Hall for Larsson was bad value, no argument there. How about Talbot for nothing or Kassian for nothing though - let's not pretend that Chiarelli only makes awful trades.

Eberle was dealt at a low value point and the return wasn't good as Strome isn't very good. That's bad player recognition.

Reinhart for that 1st rounder was awful. All the signs that Reinhart was already a bust were there. Kyle Connor and Thomas Chabot were taken with the next two picks after Barzal so good chance the Oilers would have taken 1 of the 3 and been a lot better off now and for years.

Then mix in the Hall trade. The cost of Dman is high but Vatanen, Leddy, Boychuk, Hamilton, Scandella came in a heck of a lot lower than what the Oilers paid for Larsson. Chia is also the guy who dealt out Petry and Schultz for almost nothing and both have flourished elsewhere.

Then mix in the Lucic signing that is already looking awful.

Then mix in the 8.5 signing for Drai well comparable players like Pasternik (6.66), Kuznetsov (7.8) signed for a fair bit less.

Then mix in the inability to find a decent backup goalie.

Chiarelli has been a downright awful GM for the Oilers.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So you are saying the player with the best 5 on 5 corsi in the playoffs was not earning his cheque. You don’t think there was another problem on that deeply flawed team? People who think points are everything have no clue about hockey and when they get arrogant about their tiny bit of hockey understanding it makes them look even worse.

Sure you can come back with only results matter. You’re seeing the results of good hockey this year. Eberle plays good hockey and they “dumped” him for a spare part.
And this is probably an example of how Corsi has flaws. Eberle was passable for the first three games against the Sharks. For the rest of the playoffs it would be generous to say he was invisible.

Last edited by a moderator:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
And this is probably an example of how Corsi has flaws. Eberle was passable for the first three games against the Sharks. For the rest of the playoffs it would be generous to say he was invisible.
The Corsi showed true with proof this year. It obviously shows he was out playing his competition and ran into bad luck on a small sample size. If Oiler fans are laying blame on him there should be looking at long line ahead of him.

But hey, keep listening to that ownership/management/media slappys, seems to be working well for a decade and a half. Whatever they say seems to be working real well.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Eberle was the worst +\- on the team at -6 during the playoffs.
How is someone trying to frame this as a positive?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Re: Dorion scouting EDM twice.

Hoffman fits EDM's supposed big need of a skilled speedy goal scorer to keep up with McDavid.

I originally thought something around Klefbom for Hoffman might be the match, but according to Sportsnet we're scouting RNH.

RNH for Hoffman would be a win for both sides I think. It's the type of deal that risks looking really bad for the Senators if Hoffman lights it up with McDavid, but the reality is if Hoffman becomes a 35+ goal scorer with McDavid, he was never gonna do that here in Ottawa, and his market value probably isn't as high as most Sens fans would hope because if there were strong futures based offers for him on the table he would have been dealt by now.

Hoffman only has 2 years left on his deal, so while most Sens fans seem to hate the idea of trading him, the team is in a transition phase right now and if they don't think they'd be able to extend him after July 1st 2019, the Senators effectively only have 1 more year of Hoffman since they would most likely trade him for futures in 2019 after being unable to agree to a contract extension.

With RNH, Sens get two years out of him not just one year before they even have to think about doing that, and there's a reasonable chance that whatever futures based offer they'd get for RNH after July 1st 2020 wouldn't be far off from what Hoffman would have attracted a year earlier.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009

Hoffman fits EDM's supposed big need of a skilled speedy goal scorer to keep up with McDavid.

I originally thought something around Klefbom for Hoffman might be the match, but according to Sportsnet we're scouting RNH.

RNH for Hoffman would be a win for both sides I think. It's the type of deal that risks looking really bad for the Senators if Hoffman lights it up with McDavid, but the reality is if Hoffman becomes a 35+ goal scorer with McDavid, he was never gonna do that here in Ottawa, and his market value probably isn't as high as most Sens fans would hope because if there were strong futures based offers for him on the table he would have been dealt by now.

Hoffman only has 2 years left on his deal, so while most Sens fans seem to hate the idea of trading him, the team is in a transition phase right now and if they don't think they'd be able to extend him after July 1st 2019, the Senators effectively only have 1 more year of Hoffman since they would most likely trade him for futures in 2019 after being unable to agree to a contract extension.

With RNH, Sens get two years out of him not just one year before they even have to think about doing that, and there's a reasonable chance that whatever futures based offer they'd get for RNH after July 1st 2020 wouldn't be far off from what Hoffman would have attracted a year earlier.

Ottawa would have to throw in a sweetener. Wingers are generally easier to acquire than a 1A or 1B Centre.

I think there is a deal to be made but I think Chia has learned from his 1 for 1 trades. I hope anyways.

I could see Gagne as the sweetener. Not sure how high Sens fans are on him.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

Thing is it would be terrible value for Nuge.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Ottawa would have to throw in a sweetener. Wingers are generally easier to acquire than a 1A or 1B Centre.

I think there is a deal to be made but I think Chia has learned from his 1 for 1 trades. I hope anyways.

I could see Gagne as the sweetener. Not sure how high Sens fans are on him.

1 for 1 seems fair to me. I'd be disappointed if Ottawa had to give up an extra piece in that deal.

The sweetener is that Hoffman frees up nearly 1M of cap for the Oilers, and is potentially the only winger available that fits the speedy goal scorer who can keep up with McDavid profile that the Oilers might apparently be looking for.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Strome has made significant strides this season. After an abysmal start he is now nearly a plus player and is on a 40 point pace--all the while playing as a third line center. He is hardly worthless as some here like to suggest.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Thing is it would be terrible value for Nuge.

This is the funny thing about message boards. I would say, a significant amount of Senators fans I have seen online dislike the idea of trading Hoffman for RNH. Both Oilers fans replying here are telling me that value wise, RNH is superior to Hoffman.

What is your perception of RNH's value? Do you have some examples of what you'd expect in return for him from different teams or in different scenarios. I am just curious.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Nuge is a C. Hoffman a W. The Oilers once got Pat Maroon for garbage.

There are a lot more W's in this league than 1A 1B C's.

Nuge has boat loads more value than MH.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
This is the funny thing about message boards. I would say, a significant amount of Senators fans I have seen online dislike the idea of trading Hoffman for RNH. Both Oilers fans replying here are telling me that value wise, RNH is superior to Hoffman.

What is your perception of RNH's value? Do you have some examples of what you'd expect in return for him from different teams or in different scenarios. I am just curious.

I think you guys should keep Hoffman. I'm sure you can get a much better Center than RNH for him. I'm sure you could list a few right now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

IMO the idea is alright. The issue is Hoffman is already 28 and he will be in the down turn of his career soon and the Oilers are still 3-4 years away from competing. If Hoffman was a few years younger I think it makes a lot of sense. At the moment? No, Oilers too far away from a cup.

Pure valuewise? RNH for Hoffman and a pick. Could be something like a conditional second rounder if Hoffman scores less than 20 goals. Becomes a 4th if he scores above that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad