Friedman: Oilers offseason moves?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
This isn't EA sports....actually EA sports GMs aren't even that stupid. Nobody was falling for Eberle's 'pumped tires'. The league knows what he brings to the table. He put up seven years of the same production beyond one god-like season of almost a PPG six long seasons ago. His salary had a hell of a lot more to do with that return than the five or ten more points he might've put up.

If this were true nobody would be talking about what a bad deal Oilers got. Check Eberles NYI numbers. Your opinion of his doesn't match his value

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So why not take your time and see if you can loosen the grip?
Quality RW don't grow on trees
I don't have that answer for you because there were a lot of things you and I were not privy to this summer. There was the rumor that Eberle asked out. There was also the Draisaitl offer sheet concern and there were likely FAs they had their eyes on who we probably missed out on because of the Draisaitl negotiation.

Agreed they don't grow on trees but we weren't exactly in the driver seat in any Eberle trade regardless of whether we moved him then or now.

If this were true nobody would be talking about what a bad deal Oilers got. Check Eberles NYI numbers. Your opinion of his doesn't match his value

Are you new on HFBoards? Slagging on the Oilers is a pastime.

I don't need to check his production in NY. He's doing what he always does--putting up 50-60 points with quality offensive minutes and providing spotty defensive play on a team going nowhere.

I wish him the best and look forward to how Strome feels in the 3C role next season. This trade off can still pay dividends for both clubs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Pierre Dorian was in attendance last night in Calgary and is apparently taking in Oilers-Sharks as well.

Non playoff teams can trade anytime they like.

HMMMMMMM

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So it’s all his fault they didn’t do better in the playoffs. It’s that kind of thinking that got your Islanders a 60 point player for a spare part.

You are doing reading comprehension wrong. It was stated that a player who "earns" his paycheck can't be a cap dump. I stated that the Oiler franchise probably felt like he didn't "earn" his paycheck with his inability to step up during the playoffs. I made no mention of the Oiler's inability to go deep in the playoffs in relation to Jordan Eberle. You should make a habit of reading carefully and commenting on what's written, rather than injecting your own fantastical ideas into what people write.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
To be fair, you can't look at Reinhart like that. Who would have known Barzal would have been there or that he would be having such a great season.

Huh? You do realize the trade was made at the draft when both the Isles and the Oilers knew Barzal was there? It was the only reason that the Islanders made the trade because they were shocked Barzal was still available.

Sure, the second part, who could have known he'd be this good (except Garth Snow). But it was pretty clear Reinhart was not remotely improving as a defenseman when the trade happened. I just can't see any possible way to justify that trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

What value? Go back and look at the Eberle trade discussions from before he was traded. Even Islanders fans didn't want him. Nobody did. And when Chiarelli was trying to trade him there was little interest. You honestly think that he didn't work the phones for months trying to get a better deal than Strome?

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
they had this year with cap space to pump Eberle's tires. That cap space is still unspent
Eberle had regressed for 3 straight seasons. Few teams had any interest last summer. After 3 seasons of declining play why would anyone think that he would improve without going somewhere else? Another year if decline and we'd probably be stuck with him. Or gotten even less.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Eberle had regressed for 3 straight seasons. Few teams had any interest last summer. After 3 seasons of declining play why would anyone think that he would improve without going somewhere else? Another year if decline and we'd probably be stuck with him. Or gotten even less.

So has his trade value gone up now, or is his still only worth a third line winger?

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Reinhart for Barzal
Strome for Eberle
Clutterbuck for Klefbom?

Make it happen Pete!

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Klefbom for Patches + two 2nds @ the TDL
3074A186-C25B-4A24-ADCB-F6D577ACF1BD.jpeg

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
So has his trade value gone up now, or is his still only worth a third line winger?

I'd say Eberle's value is about the same. Soft, offensive minded top six winger. He likely gets passed around like a guy like Vanek when this contract expires.

Snow should have traded for a defenceman and the Islanders might be relevant.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
I think McDavid needs to go.

McDavid for OEL, Keller, Domi and a 1st would make the Oilers a better team.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
No but why would a Flames fan be jealous? Aren't they ahead of you guys in the standings?

Because they are mediocre and behind in lifetime achievements.

Maybe you just enjoy trolling the Oilers, but I think secretly you are carrying some serious salt around.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
but that was not Chias fault no matter how you spin it

the oilers had been after him from long befor Chiarellis hiring its 100 percent Bob Green and Craig Mctavish, not on Chiarelli

they Wanted Reinhart and told Chiarelli to get it done

according to Snow they had made offers for 2 years so he absolutely was worth 16 and 33, Snow knew thats how bad they wanted him, the bullspit needs to stop. A player is worth what the market will bear and Bob Green and Craig Mctavish, had a mancrush on Reinhart and they paid for it

they almost picked him number one the year he was drafted

so stop blaming Chiarelli he did as he was told

This is true . Just like the scouts did not want to choose Yakupov ( Like the kid by the way ) But the owner wanted Yak . The owner was a fan boy going back to the great Oilers team and wanted to build another team like that . He should leave hockey decision to hockey people . The old fire wagon hockey is dead . The Problem in Edmonton the have too many Chiefs . Hire hockey people and let them do their jobs

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No but why would a Flames fan be jealous? Aren't they ahead of you guys in the standings?
I like both team . Flames are fighting for their lives to make it like the Oilers thru the 90s . Not really a good spot . Draft picks aren't high enough to draft high end players just meh

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
This is true . Just like the scouts did not want to choose Yakupov ( Like the kid by the way ) But the owner wanted Yak . The owner was a fan boy going back to the great Oilers team and wanted to build another team like that . He should leave hockey decision to hockey people . The old fire wagon hockey is dead . The Problem in Edmonton the have too many Chiefs . Hire hockey people and let them do their jobs

Not sure what you are talking about. Yakupov was a consensus #1 pick. All scouts wanted him all over the league. He was a bust but there was no mistake made based on information had at the draft

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad