Friedman: Oilers offseason moves?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
5. Oscar Klefbom gutted through a shoulder injury that has affected both his ability to defend, and the shot that scored a surprising 12 goals last season. As 2017-18 went off the tracks, it didn’t make a lot of sense that he was playing. I think they are showcasing him for a potential trade. He’s a good player (especially when healthy) with a very manageable contract.

6. At a time where the Oilers and AHL affiliate Bakersfield took heat for lack of development, Jujhar Khaira is a bright spot in a difficult season. He looks like a contributor. While in the AHL, the coaching staff worked on both his foot-speed and his quickness with on-ice decision-making. Both have greatly improved. Edmonton has to find more forwards to fill out the spots around Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. They’ve got three young forwards ready to become full-time pros — Tyler Benson, Cameron Hebig and Kailer Yamamoto (who has been on a tear). Their growth is important.

Seems like Klefbom, not RNH will be the next guy to be traded.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Seems like Klefbom, not RNH will be the next guy to be traded.
pretty sure there is a thread about this already..
and no these are just "thoughts" of one analyst and do not prove that "Klefbom not RNH would be the next guy traded"

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hate some of the moves EDM has made.
The one big bright spot for them is they do have some really good young pieces and one great young piece in McDavid.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hall for Larsson, Barzal for Reinhart, Eberle for Strome werent?
Eberle was a cap dump. Reinhart wasn't for Barzal, it was for picks. Still bad value, but any of the players we picked could have busted too. Hall for Larsson was bad value, no argument there. How about Talbot for nothing or Kassian for nothing though - let's not pretend that Chiarelli only makes awful trades.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
No insider info here. Just musings by Friedman. He does this all the time, its his actual rumours that are worth taking seriously, not his "thoughts". Those have no insider info behind them.

Yeah... who's more accurate Friedman, Dreger, or Eklund? :)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was being :sarcasm: based on the trades Chia made in recent history. Obviously, the value isn't there but would anyone even be surprised if he did this?
I think everyone would, yes. Just as they were when he traded Seguin and Hall. Not so much Eberle because he was playing bad for 2 years and we had to dump his salary.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yeah let's trade our best or second best shot at a top pairing D-man because he had a bad year while playing most of it with a shoulder injury. Makes perfect sense.

f*** this team, man.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To turn this into a thread more about what their moves may entail and not a thread directed at skewering Friedge or the Oilers' management, I think the possibility for Klefbom or Sekera to be moved along for the proper right handed defender may be a reasonable plan of attack. Teams like Colorado and Winnipeg off the top of my head have depth on the right and need on the left so deals might be doable this summer given their respective situations. The Oilers have Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom and Russell currently on the left who can all play top four hockey if need be. And the draft this year is a phenomenal opportunity to finally shore up the depth at the position with some quality options available in the first two rounds.

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
In my opinion, Klefbom should be the 3rd most untouchable guy on the team. Before Nurse, Puljujarvi, Nuge or Larsson.

He has a lot of talent, smooth fast skating, plays a very smart controlled game, has the size and the shutdown ability. As well as a cannon of a shot. When he is playing healthy and with confidence (i.e. the 2nd half of last year + playoffs) he looks like a true #1D.

He is injured this year, and is also being given weak partners like Benning. I have faith that he'll return to form and become a #1d as soon as next year.

Some Oiler fans think Nurse is the new big shot (but he just doesn't have the offense) others think Larsson (who gets overrated by some Oiler fans due to the Hall trade), but I think that Klefbom will emerge as "the guy" on the Oilers backend. He gets underrated by Oiler fans and league wide alike.

I'd be beyond furious if Chia traded him.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
What would Klefbom cost the Pens? Sheary and Sprong? more? less? no idea what his value is.

If the Oilers are looking to go big in the UFA market for a d-man like John Carlson if he doesn't re-sign or make a legit offer to OEL, who apparently wants to win now and not suffer through a rebuild, then Klefbom will be a key piece there. Otherwise that's not a bad offer from the Pens in my opinion.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I really doubt Chia, McLellan, and/or whomever have been playing Klefbom to showcase him. They're just idiots. This isn't the first time this has happened in this org. Ask Souray. I'm sure Horcoff and Nuge to some extent, too. This org doesn't learn.

Have to give Klef at least one more season to see if he can reproduce last year's offence when healthy -- especially on the PP. Makes perfect sense now why he didn't use his pretty big point shot on the PP much this season. Figured he was injured though, and said so at about game 9 into the season or thereabouts. He's been hampered for long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad