Friedman: Oilers offseason moves?

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I definitely want to see how Hopkins ends the year on McDavid's wing. If he can continue to play the way he has it makes no sense to trade him. If anything they just need to find a reasonable right winger, a guy that at least could score 20 goals. No more of these Aberg (Unless he starts to show some assertiveness) and Cammalleri nonsense to start next season as top 6 wingers. I know the Oilers will have cap issues, but there has to be better options then that.
What if Oilers are interested in Ryan Dzingel? Just hit 20 goals, fast and cheap. All things Edmonton wants.

Infact all things Ottawa wants but its a cheaper option for you guys.

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Dzingel would be a solid LW. I was looking at him as well from a Ducks perspective to fix our atrocious LW issues with Ritchie and Chimera. He would fit in EDM very quick imo.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Corsi showed true with proof this year. It obviously shows he was out playing his competition and ran into bad luck on a small sample size. If Oiler fans are laying blame on him there should be looking at long line ahead of him.

But hey, keep listening to that ownership/management/media slappys, seems to be working well for a decade and a half. Whatever they say seems to be working real well.
We know better than you that our management sucks. We also know better than you which of our players were playing badly.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What if Oilers are interested in Ryan Dzingel? Just hit 20 goals, fast and cheap. All things Edmonton wants.

Infact all things Ottawa wants but its a cheaper option for you guys.

Depends on the cost, but I'd like to get Dzingel. Ottawa actually has a few guys that the Oilers should be interested in - Dzingel, Smith, Pageau (especially if we convert Nuge to wing permanently), and obviously Hoffman, as long as the prices for those guys are fair.

If Edmonton is looking for speedy forwards, would they be interested in Baertschi?

I'm not a big fan, but at his cap hit he would be worth trying out if other trade options don't pan out, assuming he isn't looking for a big raise, and depending on what Vancouver wants in return.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
RNH has 2-1-3 in 3 games and has 9 SOG since being paired up with McDavid.

Don’t need to trade for McDavid’s winger when you’ve found McDavid’s winger.

Too bad the Oilers can't afford to keep him. Or are the Oilers going to fill out the bottom six next year with AHL calibre league minimum players?

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
The Oilers are f***ed from a cap perspective. Lucic contract and Russell contract gonna come back and bite them in the ass.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Nuge is a C. Hoffman a W. The Oilers once got Pat Maroon for garbage.

There are a lot more W's in this league than 1A 1B C's.

Nuge has boat loads more value than MH.

Hoffman is just another winger, RNH is a 1A/1B. Interesting.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hoffman is just another winger, RNH is a 1A/1B. Interesting.
I don't think he said that Hoffman is just another winger. Hoffman is a top six winger (top line most places). Nuge is a top six centre (second line most places b/c more stars are centres). Neither are elite, superstar level players, but both have shown to be huge contributors to their teams, Hoffman as a speedy goal scorer, Nuge as a playmaker and for his excellent vision and two way play. I'm not sure why one side is trying to tear down the player on the other here, both are very good players.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Too bad the Oilers can't afford to keep him. Or are the Oilers going to fill out the bottom six next year with AHL calibre league minimum players?

Three things: 1) if the cap rises to 80 mil as expected we’re in OK shape 2) trading RNH for a guy like Hoffman buys us no cap space whatsoever while destroying our centre depth 3) I have our 3rd line as Khaira-Strome-TBD (maybe Slepyshev) which is fine, and we still have Kassian (who’ll maybe remember to give a shit next year) and Caggiula (who gets given a hard time but he’s fine as a bottom six guy)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think he said that Hoffman is just another winger. Hoffman is a top six winger (top line most places). Nuge is a top six centre (second line most places b/c more stars are centres). Neither are elite, superstar level players, but both have shown to be huge contributors to their teams, Hoffman as a speedy goal scorer, Nuge as a playmaker and for his excellent vision and two way play. I'm not sure why one side is trying to tear down the player on the other here, both are very good players.

Certainly not trying to tear down RNH, I am a fan of his going back to his days in Red Deer. I felt the post was underselling Hoffman personally. Mentioning how the Oilers got Maroon for garbage and how there are plenty of wingers in the league lead me to believe he was referring the Maroon as any other winger.

I get Oiler fans wanting to hold onto RNH, I'd like to hold onto Hoffman as well. I don't think the two are that far apart in value and each player could be a good fit for the other side. The Oilers can continue to try RNH on the wing but if that doesn't work I don't think the value is that far off for either side.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Depends on the cost, but I'd like to get Dzingel. Ottawa actually has a few guys that the Oilers should be interested in - Dzingel, Smith, Pageau (especially if we convert Nuge to wing permanently), and obviously Hoffman, as long as the prices for those guys are fair.

I'm not a big fan, but at his cap hit he would be worth trying out if other trade options don't pan out, assuming he isn't looking for a big raise, and depending on what Vancouver wants in return.
draft pick

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
From what I remember a big reason Eberle was moved was because Chiarelli wanted the cap room in case there was a large offer sheet for Draisaitl last off-season. I think some ppl have forgotten this point as time has gone on. The talking heads :blah: on TV were speculating 10 mil offer sheet for Leon. Of course it was a absurd statement :loony: that someone was going to offer that much for Draisaitl, but I think that's what Chiarelli was protecting against when the trade was made.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
From what I remember a big reason Eberle was moved was because Chiarelli wanted the cap room in case there was a large offer sheet for Draisaitl last off-season. I think some ppl have forgotten this point as time has gone on. The talking heads :blah: on TV were speculating 10 mil offer sheet for Leon. Of course it was a absurd statement :loony: that someone was going to offer that much for Draisaitl, but I think that's what Chiarelli was protecting against when the trade was made.
Exactly. But you know crapping on Chiarelli and the Oilers is the "in thing" so.... why use logic when jealous fans are having fun. As an Islander fan I see it daily in the John Tavares Is leaving posts.

It goes with the territory of having a Great player like McDavid. Jealous fans are like hungry babies, theyre gonna whine. Common Sense and logic are the first things out the window. Just like Chiarelli turning a perennial bad team into a 100+ point contender last year. Such short memories these jealous hungry babies are.

And 10M Isnt so absurd If montreal had a do-over, who knows.....

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I don't know I see it as rather fair. RNH isn't a 1C and Hoffman is a top line Winger, but centers do get a premium. Id say 1 for 1 is fair because the cap is a factor for the Oilers. To me it's a better use of resources. If they are serious about using Draisaitl at 2C going forward Its a no brainer.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
To elaborate RNH is worth more as a 2C than he is as a winger for McDavid. And if Draisaitl Is the new 2C, Then A #3C Making 6M Is fiscally irresponsible.

And Again im speaking from a pure asset management Perspective. As a winger RNH loses A lot of his value. though as an Insurance policy that adds some back. But a 6M Dollar policy for Injury?

and this talk of RNH being a 1a/1b is silly talk he's a defensively responsible #2C, you wouldnt be thinking of moving Draisaitl down to 2C if not for RNH not scoring enough. he is not and never was a 1a/1b

the problem is its a bad allocation of cap dollars and this trade helps alleviate that issue so DanielP. is right about that

Last edited:

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

Or Pageau + Smith + for Kleft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad