Oilers 5, Flames 2 - Everything is Awful

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Russell nailed it after the game. He said most of the team came in and for some reason thought it would all come to them, that it'd just happen, and they were that good basically. They forgot who they were and what got them here, blue collar hard work, dig deep and fight for everything you can. I'm happy leaders like Russ and Gio are acknowledging this, not saying bullshit cliches about how "we're just not getting the bounces", they manned up, let's see how we respond...

I obviously did not watch the game, but this gets me fired up. There used to be a country club atmosphere here and what this team did last year means nothing. This team has no superstars yet, no one is going to give them anything. I'm glad Russell said this and everyone better listen the heck up. They need to realize what they are and how they need to play to be successful. They must get back to their identity.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I am a fan of both teams . I live in Calgary for years and loved it . However as a kid I grew up in Ontario and was a Leafs fan . After years of losing I stop watching hockey until I started hearing about a wonder kid scoring at a crazy pace . So I started watch Hockey again and become an Oiler fan and watch Gretzky thru his career . Just a history on why I like both teams .

I read a lot of HF posting and Oiler fans get a bad rap because they do not want to trade their 1st overalls for lessor pieces , but that runs both ways . Other team also do not want to give up the better player for a package of lessor players . So they always here their player are overrated , but if you read most of their fans are very reasonable . Most feel they would not get into the playoffs this year . There is always an oddball or 2 that are over the top . I think most Oilers Stanley cup this year would be not being out of playoff contention by the end of Nov . I can understand having a good debate and not liking a rival team but why not post facts .

I also see a lot of Flames fans down playing this game . Down playing the Oilers win . Truth is somewhere in the middle . Oilers are still getting use to a real coach that demands more , demands 2 way play , demands more compete in all areas of the game . They will get better as the year moves along . The will be a good team in a couple of years . Calgary look bad but just maybe that had something to do with the Oilers play . Calgary overachieved last year and it seems the Flames are the ones who were overvaluing a great season last year and expecting more . Calgary also is missing some good players so their D pairing could be off . Edmonton is also missing Eberle .

Point is Calgary fans were the ones thinking they were better then they are

Oiler fans are only hoping for improvement so I am not sure why you are taking a shot at Oilers fans

Again this is coming from an Alberta fans . I like both teams to be the class of the NHL again .

I appreciate your comments, I really do. But this is a Flames board, the Oilers and Nucks are our biggest rivals so it's to be expected.

Outside fans can say the Flames are overvaluing our team, but the fact is we have certain expectations based on last season and anything short of playoffs this year must be viewed as a failed season. It's really that simple.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it's time I give the people what they need. Some perspective.

We still are not as bad as the lowly Ducks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Guys leave the Trolls alone. Just report them and let the MOD's do the clean up. Also, posters from other boards, if you come here with the intent to Troll, you will be immediately infracted. Thanks!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Guys leave the Trolls alone. Just report them and let the MOD's do the clean up. Also, posters from other boards, if you come here with the intent to Troll, you will be immediately infracted. Thanks!
but if they leave the trolls alone no one will talk to ponyboy :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Brutal game.

Calgary had another dud of a game. This would look a lot better if we got to OT with Jets rather than dropping two in regular time in a row, back to back.

I was actually upset with this one, on my fantasy I was a good Dougie/Gaudreau performance away from a $700 payout (on a 1$ entry) I had to settle with a $30 win.

Dougie's getting some bashing. I thought he was okay, when we went down, he tried doing too much. I look forward to the return of Brodie, he's by far our best defensive Dman.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Jooris hasn't played a lot but he really has been struggling to regain his form from early last season. I think it's time to see what Hathaway can do.

It's a shame because I've always preached how Jooris is the prototype of our system. Now he doesn't seem to have the jump he always showed and he's way too weak on his feet.

We need our bottom two lines to be more impactful out there. It's when those guys are physical and occasionally pitch in offensively, that causes the top two lines to elevate their play.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I agree. When our bottom 6 is struggling, our top line tries to do too much and in turn, struggle themselves.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Jooris hasn't played a lot but he really has been struggling to regain his form from early last season. I think it's time to see what Hathaway can do.

It's a shame because I've always preached how Jooris is the prototype of our system. Now he doesn't seem to have the jump he always showed and he's way too weak on his feet.

We need our bottom two lines to be more impactful out there. It's when those guys are physical and occasionally pitch in offensively, that causes the top two lines to elevate their play.

I think it's been a combination of factors, but the bottom line is our players aren't putting themselves in positions to look good. If we're playing our game, we're putting the puck in places that stress the defence, and supporting each other so we don't rely on beating guys one-on-one. Right now, we're just a whole bunch of disorganized lone wolves. Of course guys like Jooris are looking bad when they're going in 1-on-2 on the forecheck and if/when they get the puck, there aren't any teammates around.

May 27, 2012
Earth
The bottom 6 is struggling because it's not that good. Losing Bouma and Colborne is hurting the team. Besides Stajan and Jones the bottom 6 has been tough.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Hathaway was pretty terrible in his first game this year. He also missed game 1 with a minor injury

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Hopefully for the next game the lines get shaked up a bit to get the boys going. I was thinking something along the lines of this. (assuming Bennett is good to go for Tuesday.)

Bennett-Monahan-Jones (two of the wingers that have been playing decent this season can hopefully get mony going)
Gaudreau-Jooris-Hudler(this line played together last year and had good chemistry, hopefully putting them back together gets them going)
Raymond-Backlund-Frolik(this lines has looked decent, and hopefully keep playing good as well.)
Ferland-Stajan-Bollig

For defence I would say maybe switch up Wideman and Hamilton to see if the pairs would gel a bit better.

In goal give Ortio the shot and see if he can take the chance and run with it.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Here's the lines I'd do next game:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Ferland- Bennett-Frolik
Granlund-Backlund-Jones
Bollig-Stajan-Jooris

Scratches: Raymond

Giordano-Hamilton
Wideman-Nakladal
Kulak-Engellend

Scratches: Russell

Ortio
Ramo

Really hope the boys bring it soon. After missing the playoffs five straight years, it'd be really nice if they could string a few years of playoffs.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Hathaway was pretty terrible in his first game this year. He also missed game 1 with a minor injury

You probably know him much better than I do, but his display during pre-season I thought was fantastic.

We need someone who has speed and energy on the bottom lines. The 3rd and 4th lines last night were way too sluggish.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You probably know him much better than I do, but his display during pre-season I thought was fantastic.

We need someone who has speed and energy on the bottom lines. The 3rd and 4th lines last night were way too sluggish.
If we call someone up I would call up Agostino. He works and skates hard. He would certainly insert some energy into the lineup. In the (unlikely) case that we do call someone up I would go with:

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Jiri Hudler
Sam Bennett - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
Mason Raymond - Matt Stajan - David Jones
Kenny Agostino - Markus Granlund - Micheal Ferland

I believe Colborne's injury is hurting us more than many care to admit, I think with he and Brodie in our lineup we would probably be 3-2 rather than 1-4.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
If we call someone up I would call up Agostino. He works and skates hard. He would certainly insert some energy into the lineup. In the (unlikely) case that we do call someone up I would go with:

I believe Colborne's injury is hurting us more than many care to admit, I think with he and Brodie in our lineup we would probably be 3-2 rather than 1-4.

I like that idea a lot. He really should've been called up a few times last season, hopefully the GM has him next on the list.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like that idea a lot. He really should've been called up a few times last season, hopefully the GM has him next on the list.
Agostino didn't deserve a recall until the final 2 months of the year last year, it took him some time to adjust; but in the final 2 months he was lights out.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Really like those lines you out together. Though, why not put a rookie on the 3rd line, especially since the veterans this season seem to be going through the motions?

Any word on Bennett's injury? I'm assuming it's minor.

He's listed day-to-day with a shoulder injury

shoulder injuries never go away :(

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The Flames' effort last night:

17-dog-fails.gif

Saying a lot of the right things today which is nice, but they need to show it on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad