Oilers 5, Flames 2 - Everything is Awful

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If they are out of gas the first back to back five games into the season this is going to be a long season.

True, but this wasn't a normal back-to-back. When I was watching the game last night I was thinking it looked like a particularly physical game, and that they might have little in the tank tonight.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Honestly, call me a homer, but I don't think we have the kind of guys on this team who would not give effort. I think it was definitely apparent lack of effort tonight, but realistically I think it was a case of being out of gas.

You're a homer. Out of gas 5 games in is over the top.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Actually, the second game against Vancouver looked a lot different. Bad second period, but dominant in the first and third. We haven't come close to anything resembling dominant since.

The Canucks are not good.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Well I took a breather. I'm calm, still embarrassed. But calm :laugh:.. It's there, we know it's there, you can see flashes.. But we need to get our consistency back.

Jiri needs to get involved and stop damn cherry picking and looking for perfect plays. They need to swap Hamilton with Russell (imo Russell brings a Brodie-lite game, and Wideman has mentored all our young D at some point.), give Ortio a shot, send Kulak down and give Nakladal a shot, and pray Bennett isn't out long. Bolligs done meh, but not overly bad for his spot, I have a hard time benching him because no one can replace him, especially with Boums out and the hope that Ferland can provide some offense. Just do an overall mini shakeup.

And honestly, the more I think of it, when the time comes to get rid of a goalie, if we can somehow get a gritty winger out of it, count me in. We need our grit back.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
@NHLFlames: "It starts with me ... We have to be better." - Mark Giordano

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Well I took a breather. I'm calm, still embarrassed. But calm :laugh:.. It's there, we know it's there, you can see flashes.. But we need to get our consistency back.

Jiri needs to get involved and stop damn cherry picking and looking for perfect plays. They need to swap Hamilton with Russell (imo Russell brings a Brodie-lite game, and Wideman has mentored all our young D at some point.), give Ortio a shot, send Kulak down and give Nakladal a shot, and pray Bennett isn't out long. Bolligs done meh, but not overly bad for his spot, I have a hard time benching him because no one can replace him, especially with Boums out and the hope that Ferland can provide some offense. Just do an overall mini shakeup.

And honestly, the more I think of it, when the time comes to get rid of a goalie, if we can somehow get a gritty winger out of it, count me in. We need our grit back.

Yeah, Bollig/Stajan/Jones doing their job in the bottom 6, it's the guys like Jooris and Ferland that aren't bringing the energy. And we have nothing from our second line. Bennett hasn't been looking like he's ready for such a big role yet, and Backlund is an ideal third line C. We have no real good second line C or LW and it's killing us

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Yeah, Bollig/Stajan/Jones doing their job in the bottom 6, it's the guys like Jooris and Ferland that aren't bringing the energy. And we have nothing from our second line. Bennett hasn't been looking like he's ready for such a big role yet, and Backlund is an ideal third line C. We have no real good second line C or LW and it's killing us

I think Bennett-Backlund-Frolik is a solid line, IF we get support from the 3rd line. That's the only way it's going to work, 2 decent 3rd lines instead of a true 2nd line. But we get crickets.

Jooris needs his mojo back, that is not the same hungry bulldog we had last year, and Ferland needs to tone his game down. I think it's obvious that Hartley and co. see offensive potential in Ferly, but he's really caught between being overly offensive and being overly aggressive, he needs to tone it down and find a middle ground. And I'll be blunt, our top line needs to stop acting like f***ing superstars, simple plays, pick and choose when to be fancy, can't be throwing cross ice saucer passes and no look drops every single shift, be smart about it and work for your openings.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Russell nailed it after the game. He said most of the team came in and for some reason thought it would all come to them, that it'd just happen, and they were that good basically. They forgot who they were and what got them here, blue collar hard work, dig deep and fight for everything you can. I'm happy leaders like Russ and Gio are acknowledging this, not saying bullshit cliches about how "we're just not getting the bounces", they manned up, let's see how we respond...

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Basically like the rest of the Flames. Behind the play a lot, and chasing the game.

He might be behind the play a fair bit but I think he's looked like one of the consistently better skaters on the team.

True, but this wasn't a normal back-to-back. When I was watching the game last night I was thinking it looked like a particularly physical game, and that they might have little in the tank tonight.

Also worth noting that it was a back-to-back where they traveled and had to switch timezones. That does make a difference.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I think Hathaway needs a chance. Also, Kulak is in over his head - would like to see Morrison or Nakladal or Wotherspoon in for him.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
What needs to change? I'm not panicking yet but just curious what needs to be done to get out of this 1-4..

L13

Oct 1, 2015
It's way too early to panic and I'm confident the team will improve, but it just figures that McDavid would finally have his breakthrough against the Flames :laugh::rant: I'm happy for him, though, because he's too talented to be just another false prophet for the Oilers... I just wish he had waited until their next game.

I think it may take the Flames another week or two to really get going, since it looks like many players coasted through the preseason and some are still getting used to their linemates. I expect the team's performance until then will depend on whether the first line is having a good night or not.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
It's way too early to panic and I'm confident the team will improve, but it just figures that McDavid would finally have his breakthrough against the Flames :laugh::rant: I'm happy for him, though, because he's too talented to be just another false prophet for the Oilers... I just wish he had waited until their next game.

I think it may take the Flames another week or two to really get going, since it looks like many players coasted through the preseason and some are still getting used to their linemates. I expect the team's performance until then will depend on whether the first line is having a good night or not.

This pretty much.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Oiler fans have their stanley cup. We can move on now

I am a fan of both teams . I live in Calgary for years and loved it . However as a kid I grew up in Ontario and was a Leafs fan . After years of losing I stop watching hockey until I started hearing about a wonder kid scoring at a crazy pace . So I started watch Hockey again and become an Oiler fan and watch Gretzky thru his career . Just a history on why I like both teams .

I read a lot of HF posting and Oiler fans get a bad rap because they do not want to trade their 1st overalls for lessor pieces , but that runs both ways . Other team also do not want to give up the better player for a package of lessor players . So they always here their player are overrated , but if you read most of their fans are very reasonable . Most feel they would not get into the playoffs this year . There is always an oddball or 2 that are over the top . I think most Oilers Stanley cup this year would be not being out of playoff contention by the end of Nov . I can understand having a good debate and not liking a rival team but why not post facts .

I also see a lot of Flames fans down playing this game . Down playing the Oilers win . Truth is somewhere in the middle . Oilers are still getting use to a real coach that demands more , demands 2 way play , demands more compete in all areas of the game . They will get better as the year moves along . The will be a good team in a couple of years . Calgary look bad but just maybe that had something to do with the Oilers play . Calgary overachieved last year and it seems the Flames are the ones who were overvaluing a great season last year and expecting more . Calgary also is missing some good players so their D pairing could be off . Edmonton is also missing Eberle .

Point is Calgary fans were the ones thinking they were better then they are

Oiler fans are only hoping for improvement so I am not sure why you are taking a shot at Oilers fans

Again this is coming from an Alberta fans . I like both teams to be the class of the NHL again .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad