Oilers 5, Flames 2 - Everything is Awful

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
There was no f***in effort, what game were you watching
oilers @ flames, oct. 17 2015.

If you think the issues were effort over the poor system and the players themselves getting outplayed, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

If you think the issues were effort over the poor system and the players themselves getting outplayed, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

We got outplayed because there was no effort. The oilers were still the oilers. They didn't look miraculous, we looked like garbage.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

We were consistently being beaten to lose pucks and not pressuring them at all on the forecheck. That's not the system.

That said, I don't think it's a lack of effort; I think the team was just gassed from a physical, fast-paced and heartbreaking game last night.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I thought the Oilers played a strong game. Completely outworked the Flames.

They gave us plenty of space, gave up the puck often and took some dumb penalties. Yes they out worked us, that's why they won. Because we also gave them plenty of space, gave up the puck and took dumb penalties. But they had the effort, we did all that and still showed no heart and determination.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As a hockey fan, sure. As a flames, no.

It was pretty bad hockey. :laugh:

Basically every bit of offence came off sloppy turnovers. Not really any good transition by either team. There was one point where I was thinking it had been like 5 minutes since either team completed a pass.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flames had little to no effort and the system was exposed (and has been all season with Brodie's perfect stretch pass missing).

But with so, so many players looking so out of it, this seems like more of a coaching issue than something else (i.e. Brodie or Byron or Colborne missing). New season, new faces, new challenges but same system, same lines and no growth in coaching. Wideman and Russell as a pairing should be broken up, as too should the first line so to spread the balance the scoring and prevent other teams from shutting down the Flames offense so easily. Bollig should be a permanent healthy scratch and Ortio needs a shot.

Could be though that the teams vaunted leadership is crumbling under the weight of raised expectations. Easier to overcome what was essentially zero expectations last season than to achieve admittedly unrealistic markers this year.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Glengarry Glencross: Flame fan cheering for a bad team
Glengarry Glencross: What do I do

Steve Dangle Glynn: ...
Steve Dangle Glynn: y'like beer?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah not much else bothers me more than a lack of effort, I'll skip this one.

Flames and Jays 0-2 so far this weekend, we need to make a sacrifice to sports Gods.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames schedule for the rest of October:
Washington
Detroit
@New York Rangers
@New York Islanders
@Ottawa
Montreal
@Edmonton

It's going to be a long month.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Where's the offence? Just not generating scoring chances

And enough with the long pass that isn't working right now

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah not much else bothers me more than a lack of effort, I'll skip this one.

Flames and Jays 0-2 so far this weekend, we need to make a sacrifice to sports Gods.

Honestly, call me a homer, but I don't think we have the kind of guys on this team who would not give effort. I think it was definitely apparent lack of effort tonight, but realistically I think it was a case of being out of gas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad