Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Blackhawks 1 - OT

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Good team effort last night, no cheating for the offense, defense, or goal tending. Very good game by the defense, Klef still looks a little off but looked miles better than the game before. Nurse looks more confident out there, and Gryba has been pretty damn good for a #6 in the past few games IMO. Yamo... What more is there to say? He has been our best winger bar none. I would have liked to see him develop another year but at this point winning games is much more important than saving a year of ELC. Very happy with the win and the effort. I just hope they don't let off the gas against Philly, we need this type of effort going forward.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I woke up happy this morning. snipes - good post... it's amazing how watching a full game with a good outcome can make you feel!

Reactions: snipes

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Great game by the guys last night, but this one all started with # 33. After giving up and bad goal and also creating a penalty, the team was starting to sag in the "here we go again" mode, but Talbot picked up his game, and the rest of the team followed, getting stronger and more confident as the game went on. They fed off his play. The stop on Toews breakaway may turn out to be a season turning point. Talbot was so good, there were a couple shots in the 3rd that I'm not sure he even saw, but when you're in a groove and have solid positioning, these things happen.

I don't think there was one guy that didn't play well last night. All were contributors in some way, and the structure was what we saw last year for long periods of time and into the playoffs.

Specifially, Klef really upped his game, McD found the extra gear, and hell, even Avatar played a solid game in a limited role.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know Maroon has taken flack for his dumb penalties, but last night, he hit Keith with a clean bodycheck and then was struck by a solid 2 hander by the Chicago defenceman. No call. Maroon looked at the ref, who was standing right there, and....nothing. f***ing bullshit. But kudos to him for not doing something stupid.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Great game by the guys last night, but this one all started with # 33. After giving up and bad goal and also creating a penalty, the team was starting to sag in the "here we go again" mode, but Talbot picked up his game, and the rest of the team followed, getting stronger and more confident as the game went on. They fed off his play. The stop on Toews breakaway may turn out to be a season turning point. Talbot was so good, there were a couple shots in the 3rd that I'm not sure he even saw, but when you're in a groove and have solid positioning, these things happen.

I don't think there was one guy that didn't play well last night. All were contributors in some way, and the structure was what we saw last year for long periods of time and into the playoffs.

Specifially, Klef really upped his game, McD found the extra gear, and hell, even Avatar played a solid game in a limited role.
Essentially what happened was our #1 starter actually did what a #1 starter should do and that's shake off a bad goal and move on.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Even though we could see it as game progressed, I don't know if we'll truly understand what it meant to the team's confidence and psyche to watch Talbot make that save on Toews.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd roll with this, assuming both Draisaitl and Caggiula are healthy

Maroon - McDavid - KY
Lucic - RNH - Strome
Caggiula - Drai - Slepyshev
Jokinen - Letestu - Kassian
Extras: Khaira / Malone

I really don't like the Lucic-RNH duo, there's just no chemistry but there is something working between RNH and Strome so I'd move Drai to that line and whoever to plug into the 2nd line slot.

Maroon-McDavid-Yams
Lucic-Draisaitl-Cagguila? (this is a real weak link although I like Cags)
Jokinen-RNH-Strome
Malone-Letestu-Kassian

or

Lucic-Draisaitl-RNH
Jokinen-Strome-Cagguila

I think Malone earned another game, he's been better than Khaira, Slepyshev etc. Slepy needs an AHL conditioning stint, he's just not up to par right now.
Also, Jokinen needs to start doing something....anything. He looks slower and softer than ever although it's not unusual for vets to start slow. I think he needs to sit a game or two if he continues to provide nothing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I really don't like the Lucic-RNH duo, there's just no chemistry but there is something working between RNH and Strome so I'd move Drai to that line and whoever to plug into the 2nd line slot.
I think Lucic-Strome worked very well together. They seemed to know where the other was at all times.
RNH-Jokinen might get Jokinen going. The guy has been invisible since pre season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Good game from the Oilers.

Talbot let in that shaky first goal but after that he was really solid. I know the Oilers outshot the Hawks but I think Talbot had to make more better saves than Chicago's goalie. Hopefully this win gives him some confidence.

Ridiculous pass from McDavid.

Nurse has impressed me this season. Was also impressed with Lucic's hussle, he is an intimidating player when hes actually geared up to another level. First line looked good. Liked RNH's game. Thought 3rd and 4th line played ok but they need to produce at some point.

Team takes too many penalties. They are lucky it didnt come back to bite them. That being said I think they could of got more than 2 PP.

Hopefully this brings some confidence. They are usually rev'd up for Philly games so I am not too worried about that game.

Will be interesting to see what TM does with the lines with Drai coming back.

Last edited:

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Lucic sure showed some wheels yesterday. Kinda scary to see that guy at full speed

He has been playing substantially better than last year. That being said, his job on the PP should be to park in front of the net, and that's it. You give him the puck on the half wall and he just isn't smart enough to make the right play. The guy made it into the league by being massive and being able to pot anywhere from 20-25 goals a season. His place is not along the boards making passes.

Two of the biggest differences I have noticed with him is his speed, and his ability to get the puck out of our own end by making a nice first pass. He seems to be doing that this year, and has obviously come out of camp in WAY better shape. He is still an atrocious skater, but is still skating twice as fast as he was last year.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
What's the deal with Jokinen, can he be expected to produce at least something this season? Wondering if I should just drop him in my fantasy league already.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What's the deal with Jokinen, can he be expected to produce at least something this season? Wondering if I should just drop him in my fantasy league already.
I don't know why you'd have in fantasy for this long. Unless it's a 30 team league.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I don't know why you'd have in fantasy for this long. Unless it's a 30 team league.

I got him with my second-to-last pick, just a depth pick up really. Figured he might have a 40-point campaign in him. I was wrong. I guess it's time to look somewhere else.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
how deep is your league lol? you shouldn't even have him

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Another good game for Auvitu... 4 shots and another 3 attempted shots. Also 2 blocks and was even on the night.
He's doing well in that bottom pairing and I like that he is trying to create offense every chance he gets.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
12 teams, 22 players per roster.

that's pretty deep but there has to be better options. if you are looking for a sleeper look to Sergachev in tampa he has been good this season and broke out with a couple goals last night

sorry off topic

Reactions: FVM

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Lucic-Strome worked very well together. They seemed to know where the other was at all times.
RNH-Jokinen might get Jokinen going. The guy has been invisible since pre season.

Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Jokinen-RNH-Cagguila

That can work too, as long as Mclellan doesn't stack the top line again. He needs to trust somebody else but Draisaitl alongside McDavid eventually and Yamamoto is establishing himself nicely. There's not nearly enough skill on the other 3 lines to balance out a stacked top line.
It's actually boring as hell watching the non-McDavid lines, nothing ever happens and that has to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad