Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Blackhawks 1 - OT

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
His shooting selection at the moment is crap. Shooting from areas he should be passing and passing from Grade A scoring areas. Its bizarre. His 8 shots last night look impressive... if you didn't watch the game.

I think if he can actually start scoring he may well stick because our RW is weak right now, but realistically he shouldn't even get another game IMO. He just hasn't shown enough to imagine he would be good enough over an 82+ game schedule.

The only Pro to keeping him now is how cheap he is... but that will be even truer next year if his ELC gets pushed. With the cap in mind its far more advantageous to send him down to develop one more year in junior and then have his ELC during the extremely difficult next 3 cap years. Having a cost controlled player that we already know has at least some success playing in a top 6 role is big. Very big. It really makes Chiarelli look like a genius if Yama continues to develope/play like he has been.

I can't really agree with any of this. How were all of his shots crap?
He had a breakaway, completely caused by him owning Duncan Keith of all people, he also had 2 shots from right in front of the goalie on setups from Maroon that could have easily resulted in goals. He was hounding the puck all night, keeping the cycle going numerous times because of his puck pursuit. He was buzzing all night and looked all the part of an NHLer. He did have a few perimeter shots that didn't have much of a chance to go in but when you have 8 shots, some of them are going to be from far out.

The bottom line is that he looks like an NHLer and deserves to stay up if he keeps this up for another 4 games. He's been one of the Oilers best forwards since Mclellan gave him more minutes.

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
This team does not play well at home. They are going to have to change that.
they just need to start better in order to get the crowd going.

there are also certain players that really create and feed off that energy. Kassian is a great example. Maroon and Lucic can also help with getting engaged physically. that toughness is what led to our good home record last year.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He had a breakaway, completely caused by him owning Duncan Keith of all people, he also had 2 shots from right in front of the goalie on setups from Maroon that could have easily resulted in goals. He was hounding the puck all night, keeping the cycle going numerous times because of his puck pursuit. He was buzzing all night and looked all the part of an NHLer. He did have a few perimeter shots that didn't have much of a chance to go in but when you have 8 shots, some of them are going to be from far out.

The bottom line is that he looks like an NHLer and deserves to stay up if he keeps this up for another 4 games. He's been one of the Oilers best forwards since Mclellan gave him more minutes.

Probably semantics for this comment but I didn't say his shots were crap, just hit shot selection. He had a couple perimeter shots as you describe, his in close shots were after the goalie was set and while good for rebounds/chaos obviously not going to score, and he passed away on a few occasions where he absolutely should have shot. I thought he hesitated with his decision making when he had the puck most the night.

He has been one of the better forwards since getting more time... with McDavid. You could put me out there on the wing of McDavid and I could pot a couple goals in the NHL, and I can barely skate. That's not to take away from his overall play which has been good but it really does need to be considered heavily in conversations about if Yamamoto should stay in the NHL.

I think it's far too early to say he IS an NHLer, I know you didn't say that either but my point is that talk of him staying with the team before he has even scored a goal in the NHL is premature. I would also make sure at least 2-3 more of his remaining games are spent away from McDavid just to make sure what little success he has had so far isn't mostly the McDavid effect.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Probably semantics for this comment but I didn't say his shots were crap, just hit shot selection. He had a couple perimeter shots as you describe, his in close shots were after the goalie was set and while good for rebounds/chaos obviously not going to score, and he passed away on a few occasions where he absolutely should have shot. I thought he hesitated with his decision making when he had the puck most the night.

He has been one of the better forwards since getting more time... with McDavid. You could put me out there on the wing of McDavid and I could pot a couple goals in the NHL, and I can barely skate. That's not to take away from his overall play which has been good but it really does need to be considered heavily in conversations about if Yamamoto should stay in the NHL.

I think it's far too early to say he IS an NHLer, I know you didn't say that either but my point is that talk of him staying with the team before he has even scored a goal in the NHL is premature. I would also make sure at least 2-3 more of his remaining games are spent away from McDavid just to make sure what little success he has had so far isn't mostly the McDavid effect.

Far comment on the shot selection but isn't that the same issue with McDavid as well? Passing off when he should be shooting?

I don't think he's a product of McDavid, not everybody clicks well with McDavid. He creates chaos when he's on the ice, always around the puck and creating chances. Every line I've seen him on whether it's in preseason or regular season, he has been noticeable outside of the 1st game in which he was a nervous wreck.

I should have clarified that I don't know if he's a full time NHLer right now but he's certainly playing like one. The only thing working against him right now is inexperience because physically he's more than holding his own.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I was one of the biggest proponents of sending him down right after camp, but in these past 3-4 games, he has been one of our best 3-4 forwards pretty much every game. I'm not sure how you can send him down at this point.

Reactions: Konami McDavid

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Not everybody does well with McDavid. We've seen a few guys who haven't been able to keep up with him, and although they are better with him than without (who wouldn't be), they aren't exactly thriving on his line. KY is thriving on the line, for the most part. I do agree with the second bold point, and we should see what he looks like away from him for at least 1-2 games. McDavid could get injured, other players may warrant a move to McDavid's line, etc. If KY only looks good with McDavid, then he obviously isn't as usuful.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I laugh anytime I see somebody say something so stupid. "I could score goals with McDavid too, and I can't even skate."

Uh, no you wouldn't.

Reactions: Dorian2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our top line should be

Hall (80 points) McDavid (100+) Eberle (70 points)

If "anyone" could play with McDavid. That was how it was supposed to work right?

The best wingers for McDavid that I've seen are Draisaitl > Maroon > Pouliot (yes, Pouliot). Those three read the best off him.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Not everybody does well with McDavid. We've seen a few guys who haven't been able to keep up with him, and although they are better with him than without (who wouldn't be), they aren't exactly thriving on his line. KY is thriving on the line, for the most part. I do agree with the second bold point, and we should see what he looks like away from him for at least 1-2 games. McDavid could get injured, other players may warrant a move to McDavid's line, etc. If KY only looks good with McDavid, then he obviously isn't as usuful.

If KY was magnificent with McDavid, but bad with anybody else he could still be useful to the team. However, in that case he would really have to be exceptional, as he would not have a real role in the other lines if the lines need to be shuffled. However, Puljujarvi had four games with McDavid last year, scoring four points (plus one that wasn't counted), and his +- being a lot better. And this year he scored 2+1 (plus again one not counted) in a game at preseason, so I'm not sure Yamo's done enough yet to secure a place at the roster. However, if Yamo is clearly better than e.g. Strome, Caggiula or JJ, he should have at least new chances until the ninth game.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I hate the whole "This guy is good with McDavid therefore not good"
If thats the case then Draisaitl is a bad player?

Maroon is good because of McDavid but thats a completely different style of player. Maroon works with McDavid because he plays a simple physical game and they click.
Skilled guys don't always work with skilled guys.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Tonight he had more shots than McDavid-2, RNH-1 ,Maroon-2, Slepy combined

Shoot more...He had 8 shots on net, last night...McDavid-3 Maroon-2 RNH-2

Yeah, that's true. He had some good looks, and he's got a nice shot, quick release. If he keeps up his play from last night over the next 4 games then I think he's a shoe-in to stay the season. If he can even just reach say 50 points (18-22 goals, and 28-32 assists) then that's enough production that allows us to comfortably move Drai down to the 2nd line, and hopefully he can drive the second line from the RW, while Nuge plays center. I'm not sure if Lucic is the answer on LW, but try those 3 for now. If Jokinen picks up his game -- he does have more talent than he's shows so far; maybe he's a slow starter -- then maybe we move Jokinen to the 2nd line LW and move Lucic down to the 3rd line. A third line of a heavy trio of Lucic - Strom - Slepy/Kaira would be tough to play against -- especially if they can keep the cycle going in the offensive zone, and allow the Dmen to sneak in for a shot. But yeah, those are things I would look at if I were coach, which I'm not. But Todd is a pretty good coach, and I'm sure he'll figure something out.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Maroon is good because of McDavid but thats a completely different style of player. Maroon works with McDavid because he plays a simple physical game and they click.

I guess Panarin was a product of Kane. Oh wait, he has 8 points in 8 games with CLB so far, and when he played on a different line than Kane in CHI he was still producing. I just find these arguments quite insane. It's like saying Kurri is/was a product of Gretzky. Except after Gretzky left, Kurri remained for 2 more seasons with the Oilers, and he lead our team in points the first season after Gretz left scoring 102 points -- more points than he had playing WITH Gretzky the season before (Gretzky must've been 'carrying' him with psychic thoughts!), and in the 2nd season after Gretz left, Kurri scored a still very impressive 93 points (just 3 points less than his last season playing with Gretzky on the Oilers), and was 2nd in team scoring only behind Messier, who was an absolute beast that year. So Kurri put up similar point totals without Gretzky that he did away from him. So wait. Hmmmm... Kurri still put up huge numbers without playing with the player that he played so much with in the past. It's almost like skilled players will still produce as long as their with other skilled players who complement each other in a positive enough way. And yes, that was the case. Jimmy Carson came in, and although he was an 'interesting' one, but although he was a tad flaky he was still very talented, and what do you know, our skilled players had success playing with him, just as Carson did with them. Again, it's almost like skilled players produce as long as they're playing with skilled players and in a position to succeed. It's shocking to me that anyone would think otherwise. So yeah, I don't think the argument holds up in any way, shape or form...unless we're talking about grinders. More on that later. But just to sum it up: If a player is highly skilled, that inherent skill will allow him to produce as long as he's not playing with plugs and is put in a position to succeed -- but they're both obviously connected. It's as simple as that.

The main thing is that you obviously have to put your skill position players in a position to succeed as best as you can, which is usually done by making at least 2 scoring lines, as good teams generally have more than 3 skilled players, and our team is no exception. It's why I'm on a huge crusade to get Drai on the 2nd line when he's back and healthy. But former is all a given when you really look into it, and every team does it and has done it throughout NHL history -- at least the successful ones. One thing that makes terrible coaches terrible is that they don't have the mental faculties to build a team that's highly efficient at getting the most out of its players. Obviously not ever one can play with McDavid -- and that's the ultimate place and chance to succeed. But you try to build lines that work and that complement each other -- not only skill wise, but that work as a defensive unit, as well. It's more complicated than probably most think.

Now for grinders, that can be a bit different. A guy like Maroon probably is mostly a product of McDavid. But he's not putting up huge numbers. He put up 42 points total last season. Now imagine replacing him with Saad. Do you think Saad scores more points? Most definitely: he's a higher skilled player who would be playing with other highly skilled players, and likely scores 60-70 points in Maroon's spot. So I really think people are looking at this in the opposite way: when a player like Drai put ups a huge number of points playing with McDavid, I think it clearly shows that Drai is very skilled in his own right, and maybe McDavid helped him pad his points a bit, but he's still probably a 70+ point 2nd line C or RW if he's playing with decent 2nd line talent, like Nuge and maybe Lucic or someone else on LW. Maroon on the other case has never produced much of anything in his time in the NHL, and was mostly looked at as a plug with SOME untapped potential, but not a superstar in there. All of a sudden he has a 27 goal season. I think there's only a few players in the league that can make Maroon into a near 30 goal scorer. That's the guy you should be looking at as probably being a product of a much higher talent (read: McDavid); it's not the same situation with already very talented guys like Drai and Yam's. Skilled players playing with other skilled players are almost always going to produce, as long as the chemistry isn't complete crap and they complement each other well enough. Just think of the days when Gretzky would regularly play with a meat-head, and that meat-head would finish with about 20-30 goals on the season, and it's not like that meat-head would play usually play entire games with Gretzky; mostly just shifts here and there. But would that meat-head ever come close to scoring 25-30 goals without having those chances to play with Gretzky and have a lot of easy tap-in goals? Of course not. So in that case, his production is indeed a creation of Gretz; if that player only played on the 4th line with 2 other meat-heads, he'd be VERY lucky to get 10 goals a season.

I also think we really have to look more as the lines as a unit instead of just focusing on an individual play in the grand scheme of things -- unless there's one guy who's obviously bringing down the line; then that's obviously a problem. But if some grinder type player is 'leeching' off McDavid and playing beyond his potential, scoring 25+ goals with regularity, then yeah, I'll take that; I'll have more of that, thanks. What's the problem? It's a team game, and the players on the ice have to try to play as a unit as best as possible to get the best results; optimally, everyone has a role and are good at the role, and the team is successful by having the right pieces and the right chemistry to make their lines work. Not an easy thing, though. Lots of coaching are always mixing and matching, and what they are looking for is what I just mentioned. They're not looking for one guy to take the game over (though they'd take that; but not realistic), they're hoping that the team is better pieced together and thus is a more effective unit.

Actually, I just thought of a new way of thinking of it: when skilled players are put together in a position to succeed and indeed do end up succeeding, you're allowing the player to play to his potential. For the most part, there is no 'carrying'. It's a player playing to his potential, and of course playing with other skilled players will help do that. It's not even close to being a bad thing. Just think of it: How can a highly skilled play-maker play to his potential playing with two meat-heads? Not likely to happen. You need to give him the chance to play with two guys who can shoot the puck, and then they all have a chance to play to their potential (in general terms).

Also, when skilled players are playing and succeeding together, they are 'complementing' each other. No one is carrying anyone. On the other hand, if there's a grinder on a top line (Maroon) and he's scoring a lot more points than is generally accepted that he would otherwise, then that is 'carrying' a player.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

There's also interesting discussion going on about Laine at the Jets forum. He's having some tough times at the 2nd line / 1st PP (the points are not that bad but the game doesn't look good) and Laine fans are demanding really hard for Maurice to put him with Scheiffele. So does this mean Laine is a bad player. Of course not.[/QUOTE]

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I send KY down for two reasons. One is the obvious contractual issue but it's nice they are keeping him up and giving him some NHL checks. The other is that when the games get serious in the new year and spring, KY will be a total non-factor due to size/strength issues. He's a defensive liability even with his solid effort (love the kid on the forecheck). Best plan is to keep KY up for his 9 games pre-Christmas to speed up his development and let JP work on a few issues in Bako until we send KY down. JP will be far more able to handle the stretch drive and playoff hockey that KY will be totally unprepared for. Totally please with his development but some patience is needed.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

It's a skill to be able to play with McDavid. He is not like any other player in the league. In Maroon's case his skill is get to the net and have your stick down no matter what. For a guy as big as he is he is pretty darn good at slipping between the cracks and finding his way to the net.

I've noticed that Ky is very good at making little plays off the wall to hit McDavid in stride, thats his skill. If you watch the Maroon goal over agin he makes a great pass out of our zone to Connor, on his tape, full stride.

I actually think its tougher to play with Connor than most centres, sure, he'll do something amazing and set you up for a wide open net, but you need to be able to keep up and get open against the other team's best checkers.Playing with him is probably a pretty big adjustment for most players.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Didn't watch the game. Glad we won. As for KY, no matter how well he plays he needs to get stronger and mature more. Don't think he should stay up at all.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I would prob send KY down but I think its a difficult decision.

1) I have been pretty dissapointed with our wingers this year. I think we were hoping for Khaira, Slepshev, Cagguila, etc to pick it up but honestly they havent yet. Strome seems to be getting better but Jokinen hasnt shown a whole lot yet in the regular season. The line up is going to get worse if/when Yamamoto gets sent down. We dont have a ton of skill on the wings.

2) Yamamoto gets hit a bit too much for my liking. If you look at a player like Patrick Kane for example, guy hardly puts himself in a position to get hit. I know KY wont get a lot stronger in coming years, but his muscles and whatnot are still going to get harder more hard as he gets older. I am afraid hes going to get creamed one of these days.

3) Right now hes outplaying at least half the forwards. On merit alone, I think he probably deserves to stay up. But I dont know how much that says about KY and how much it says about everyone else.

Lets see what he does in the next couple games.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I too would send down Yam despite how good he looks.

Would like to see us pick up another winger via trade

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
His shooting selection at the moment is crap. Shooting from areas he should be passing and passing from Grade A scoring areas. Its bizarre. His 8 shots last night look impressive... if you didn't watch the game.

I think if he can actually start scoring he may well stick because our RW is weak right now, but realistically he shouldn't even get another game IMO. He just hasn't shown enough to imagine he would be good enough over an 82+ game schedule.

The only Pro to keeping him now is how cheap he is... but that will be even truer next year if his ELC gets pushed. With the cap in mind its far more advantageous to send him down to develop one more year in junior and then have his ELC during the extremely difficult next 3 cap years. Having a cost controlled player that we already know has at least some success playing in a top 6 role is big. Very big. It really makes Chiarelli look like a genius if Yama continues to develope/play like he has been.

Well you said he shouldn't even get another game and you can't imagine he'd be good enough over an 82+ game schedule.

I interpreted that as meaning he shouldn't play anymore because what you've seen isn't good enough.

I obviously disagree and think he deserves more looks. He is creating offense and getting chances. Nothing has gone in yet but not every rookie starts out of the gate like Gretzky and there is room there between being an elite player who scores 1+ ppg out of the gate and one that's just average and who should obviously be back in junior. I think Yamamoto is between those levels where he will be better served to continue playing at the NHL level to improve his skills and contribute to the success of the team.

You obviously see it differently and that's fine but don't try to say you think he's playing decently if you don't think he even deserves another game... basically doublespeak.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Pleasant surprise to see the Oilers pull this one out. I honestly thought the Carolina game was the one we needed to win because I thought Chicago would bring on the pain. So happy to see I thought wrong and the Oilers bounced back for a strong outing.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well you said he shouldn't even get another game and you can't imagine he'd be good enough over an 82+ game schedule.

I interpreted that as meaning he shouldn't play anymore because what you've seen isn't good enough.

I obviously disagree and think he deserves more looks. He is creating offense and getting chances. Nothing has gone in yet but not every rookie starts out of the gate like Gretzky and there is room there between being an elite player who scores 1+ ppg out of the gate and one that's just average and who should obviously be back in junior. I think Yamamoto is between those levels where he will be better served to continue playing at the NHL level to improve his skills and contribute to the success of the team.

You obviously see it differently and that's fine but don't try to say you think he's playing decently if you don't think he even deserves another game... basically doublespeak.

I often bring up pros and cons fro both sides. I'm incredibly annoying in that way. However in this situation the two "sides" of this are very connected.

Yamamoto is playing well. Never said he isn't. But it's not like he is taking the league by storm. And its not like he isn't playing with THE best player in the world. He has already had some rough outings as part of his 5 games so far. He had an unsustainable shooting percentage in preseason and his success in preseason doesn't mean much. It absolutely is a gamble at this point if he will be good next game and especially 82 games. Yamamoto can't be sent down to junior after 9 games without burning up his ELC.

I don't think he has shown enough to date with his situation. If he could be sent to the AHL this wouldn't even be a discussion.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't think he has shown enough to date with his situation. If he could be sent to the AHL this wouldn't even be a discussion.

We certainly do agree on that.

I think he's clearly better than a junior player at this stage... but sure it would be optimal if he could be sent up and down between the AHL and NHL which would be best for his development. That not being a possibility though... I do feel his play has been good enough to warrant staying at the NHL level and developing and playing here. He is going to be pushed harder here by coaches (and honestly by himself) at the NHL level much more than he would at the WHL level imo.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
There are a few things you can be certain of: each 10 game set of games gets harder and KY has never faced the kind of physical pounding and travel NHL players endure. If he isn't lighting things up now (he hasn't t scored since NHL players started to form the majority of lineups in TC) it's very unlikely he will when the games tighten up and physicality increases down the stretch. The kid is probably going to be a nice player but he's not ready and we don't need a defensive liability on the top line. Even McDavid struggled with playoff hockey in his 2nd year. What do people think is going to happen to KY? He would be a serious liability in the playoffs and we don't need to anchor down any of our top 6 forwards with that.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There are a few things you can be certain of: each 10 game set of games gets harder and KY has never faced the kind of physical pounding and travel NHL players endure. If he isn't lighting things up now (he hasn't t scored since NHL players started to form the majority of lineups in TC) it's very unlikely he will when the games tighten up and physicality increases down the stretch. The kid is probably going to be a nice player but he's not ready and we don't need a defensive liability on the top line. Even McDavid struggled with playoff hockey in his 2nd year. What do people think is going to happen to KY? He would be a serious liability in the playoffs and we don't need to anchor down any of our top 6 forwards with that.
I disagree.
He didn't score in the rookie camp but dominated training camp.
The kid takes time to adapt but when he does, he excels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad