Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Blackhawks 1 - OT

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Still close to shocking that opposing goaltenders have put up a collective save pct of 94.76% vs the Oilers through 6 games. It's like the Oilers are facing a series of Hasek/Dryden/Tretiak goaltenders every game.

Obviously that has a LOT to do with the Oilers ability to finish their chances which WILL change over time.

Eventually, the team will bust out with a dominant offensive performance if those shots keep coming and an opposing goaltender lets up and doesn't play like the Great Wall of China.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Agreed. My only real negative from last night was that it took a Gretzkyesque play from McDavid to get the 1 goal and get it to OT.

Hard to complain when it's a gritty result on the road against a good offensive team, but the dam will burst at some point, hopefully Saturday if Drai is back.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Agreed. My only real negative from last night was that it took a Gretzkyesque play from McDavid to get the 1 goal and get it to OT.

Hard to complain when it's a gritty result on the road against a good offensive team, but the dam will burst at some point, hopefully Saturday if Drai is back.

Depth is going to be an issue. This team will struggle mightily if Drai or Mcdavid is out for any extended amount of time. We got really lucky last year with injuries and it may not be that way this year.

That being said, if we get the play we have from Malone and Auvitu on a consistent basis, it at least lessens the blow.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Still close to shocking that opposing goaltenders have put up a collective save pct of 94.76% vs the Oilers through 6 games. It's like the Oilers are facing a series of Hasek/Dryden/Tretiak goaltenders every game.

Obviously that has a LOT to do with the Oilers ability to finish their chances which WILL change over time.

Eventually, the team will bust out with a dominant offensive performance if those shots keep coming and an opposing goaltender lets up and doesn't play like the Great Wall of China.

I agree, and all teams have stretches like this throughout the year where the puck just wont go in the net. The goals will come and they will come in bunches. I predict the floodgates open in Philly.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Maroon-McDavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl
Slepyshev/Jokinen-Strome-Kassian
Malone-Letestu-Caggiula

I'd try this out next game. I think Malone is doing a lot more to earn a roster spot than either Slep or Jokinen are right now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I said on here last year that it would be good if Lurch lost a few unnecessary pounds and became faster. Apparently he dropped 6 or so, and it appears to have made a difference. It's a fast league, and you need every edge you can.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Toews should've fallen on RNH eh?
haha, good thing it didn't happen.

Good game, and Nuge played very well btw. Made a lot of smart, safe, plays last night and played with some tenacity.

Theres nothing wrong with Nuges head for the game, never was, its the strength he has. Hawks never really tax that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree. I mean I’ve been enjoying **** posting them, been loving the freak out, but they haven’t been even close to as bad as their record suggests. People can talk about score effects and stuff, but Calgary was down to Carolina too and they didn’t outshoot them.
Disagree here. This Oilers team effort was much better. 24 shot blocks, keeping contain, puck support in all areas, not getting outmanned and limited the Hawks shot count and chances. Sure Talbot was better, but the Oilers as a team were better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With Mrs. snipes and baby snipes junior out of town I was able to watch this game fully engaged, cheering and just living in the moment with my favourite pastime. Forgot how much that meant to me.

Man I tell ya fellas, there's nothing quite like this sport when you see a team you've supported your entire life and always will support play with heart and battle from start to finish. Very pleased with the effort level above all.

Throw in McDavid magic and you remember why you love this game.
Oilers played a very tidy road game. They got a lot of accolade from the Chicago WGN telecast. That was nice to see. But of note as well is the telecast really admired Russel's contribution and shot blocking. He got more credit than he got here. They really break plays down nice. I wish I could hear that crew do most of our telecasts. They could tell us more about our players than occurs in the Sportsnet broadcasts. I sometimes watch the WGN telecasts just because they do a solid non biased broadcast. Its always enjoyable.

It was nice as well that this Oilers effort came in front of the fervent and faithful Chicago Original 6 crowd. Everytime you win a game like that in a barn like that it adds to the resume and confidence. But Oilers need to bring this kind of game to their home faithful.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I know Maroon has taken flack for his dumb penalties, but last night, he hit Keith with a clean bodycheck and then was struck by a solid 2 hander by the Chicago defenceman. No call. Maroon looked at the ref, who was standing right there, and....nothing. ****ing bull****. But kudos to him for not doing something stupid.

The Oilers started throwing the Hawks around and they responded with chippy plays like that. The refs turned a blind eye to all the stickwork and then started calling penalties when the Oilers would hand out big hits that sent the smaller Hawks players flying. Kassian received a penalty for being big and trucking a kid.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Oilers played a very tidy road game. They got a lot of accolade from the Chicago WGN telecast. That was nice to see. But of note as well is the telecast really admired Russel's contribution and shot blocking. He got more credit than he got here. They really break plays down nice. I wish I could hear that crew do most of our telecasts. They could tell us more about our players than occurs in the Sportsnet broadcasts. I sometimes watch the WGN telecasts just because they do a solid non biased broadcast. Its always enjoyable.

It was nice as well that this Oilers effort came in front of the fervent and faithful Chicago Original 6 crowd. Everytime you win a game like that in a barn like that it adds to the resume and confidence. But Oilers need to bring this kind of game to their home faithful.

The United Center was dead last night. Half the people were in the bar areas watching the Cubs get eliminated.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
haha, good thing it didn't happen.

Good game, and Nuge played very well btw. Made a lot of smart, safe, plays last night and played with some tenacity.

Theres nothing wrong with Nuges head for the game, never was, its the strength he has. Hawks never really tax that.
Nuge will never really be able to get to much stronger. His frame just doesn't allow it. So there will always be times he will be outmuscled. Just like there will always be times that Yamamoto will get knocked down or whatever. Hell even Drai has been straight up physically manhandled for the puck.

Nuges game has never and will never be about strength. It's always been about his stick work. Which shows in how good he has been at faceoffs this year with the new rules.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Don't the Oilers usually play well against the Hawks? Sure seems like it

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The United Center was dead last night. Half the people were in the bar areas watching the Cubs get eliminated.
Heh, I was wondering a bit about that and then they said the Cubs were eliminated. It sure seemed a hushed crowd. I thought McDavid took their breath away..;)

Just as an aside people are getting on Jokinen but he made the play of the night last game with his perfect pass for the Strome deflection, he's played some smart hockey and got some time on the pk and is playing largely bottomsix minutes. The specific use thus far is not going to buy a lot of pts.

Deserves to be said that Jokinen and Strome are learning new system, getting by on a new team, and are not getting primo minutes. I'd give it some time for them to settle in and also our PK unit has been a tire fire because of newer personnel getting adapted and the unit not working together before. But there was drastic improvement in that unit last night in only the 5th game in.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't the Oilers usually play well against the Hawks? Sure seems like it

Even when we were lousy. Hawks don't play a big team game and don't trap. That allowed our guys to get going on some line rushes even when we had a team that couldn't defend. Its one of the Hawks flaws is they don't always adapt to the team they are playing. They often played right into our hands opening it up. That said they can play a tight game, just not often against us although last night was.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm actually starting to warm up to that Strome/Nuge/Lucic line. I thought all three guys had good games last night, and it's awesome to finally see RNH not be a free space on the bingo card when it comes to faceoffs. Please keep that up!

And while his adventures when he has the puck in the offensive zone still remind me too much of a quarterback running for his life in the backfield trying to avoid being sacked, I thought Nurse had a very strong defensive game...and is looking like he's handling tougher matchups a lot better than Benning has to start this year. Like someone else said earlier, it looks like he's starting to exhibit man-strength instead of boy-strength and the dominant physical presence that he was in junior is starting to translate at the NHL level. Here's hoping he can keep it up.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
Maroon-McDavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl
Slepyshev/Jokinen-Strome-Kassian
Malone-Letestu-Caggiula

I'd try this out next game. I think Malone is doing a lot more to earn a roster spot than either Slep or Jokinen are right now.

I thought Slepyshev had a great game last night. He stood out on that line.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I got him with my second-to-last pick, just a depth pick up really. Figured he might have a 40-point campaign in him. I was wrong. I guess it's time to look somewhere else.
Guys like him are worth a shot, but if they aren't producing after a few games you have to drop him. Especially considering his ceiling is 45ish points.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm actually starting to warm up to that Strome/Nuge/Lucic line. I thought all three guys had good games last night, and it's awesome to finally see RNH not be a free space on the bingo card when it comes to faceoffs. Please keep that up!

And while his adventures when he has the puck in the offensive zone still remind me too much of a quarterback running for his life in the backfield trying to avoid being sacked, I thought Nurse had a very strong defensive game...and is looking like he's handling tougher matchups a lot better than Benning has to start this year. Like someone else said earlier, it looks like he's starting to exhibit man-strength instead of boy-strength and the dominant physical presence that he was in junior is starting to translate at the NHL level. Here's hoping he can keep it up.
Nuge figuring out how to win a draw has been huge. Granted CHI isn't that great, he did beat Toews who is great.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have a bad feeling about tomorrow. I seem to remember a real stinker last year in a morning game.

If they actually show up and win I'll be really impressed.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Just got to watch the game a little while ago. Terrific road game. Nice to see Talbot not fold after the first GA.

Man Nurse is progressing nicely.

Reactions: Konami McDavid

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not to diminish the Oilers performance which was pretty solid but I came away from the game figuring that other than Kane and Toews the Hawks don't seem to have a lot of weapons. Saad was sad, Hawks got zero going offensively without the PK and only had that one long shift where they hemmed the Oilers in.

I could never understand the Panarin trade. Reading up it seems as if it was a way for management to shake the Hawks up. I think it was a huge mistake and the Hawks have removed themselves from contender conversation. Still a very good team, but no more likely to succeed in the playoffs then they were the last couple years. Hawks are on that slow decline and just trying to hang onto upper echelon. Didn't have to be that way, Panarin was excellent for them. I'm not familiar though with Hawks prospect pool. Are they going to go retool or rebuild?

TSN (I think it was) had just picked Hawks as the best WC club. I'm not seeing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad