Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Blackhawks 1 - OT

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
To be fair that was 5 on 5, they had 5 on the PP as well for a total of 8 in the game. There's definitely flaws in naturalstattrick though as I'm pretty sure their calculation of that is from pre-determined shooting areas rather than actual observation of the shot.

I know it was for 5v5, but at 5v5 the Hawks definitely had more than 3 "high danger scoring chances."

I believe you're right about their calculation being determined by where the puck was shot from. Honestly labels is what makes me a bit frustrated with some advanced stats. The stat that they are giving us is not telling us what is and isn't a high danger scoring chance. The stat they are giving us is essentially # of shots from X, Y and Z distance from the net.

It's the same gripe I have with shot metrics. They are very often used as "possession" stats, but they don't measure how much a team has the puck, they measure how much a team shoots the puck. Sure there might be a correlation, but that isn't what is actually being measured.

There is value to all of these stats. But for a stat to be valuable it needs to be applied appropriately and accurately.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
and that's really the bottom line isn't it? what T-Mac and his staff say on Yamamoto will likely be the final word....after perhaps clearing it with Chia? :huh:

He brings an element they need (speed and top 6 ability at RW)

I'll accept whatever they decide, but leaning more towards wanting him to stick, and I didn't expect that.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Also helps that he shoots right.
Very true. I know he hasn't scored yet, but you just get the feeling the flood gates could open for this kid. He puts in that goal where he out skates (and gets mugged) by Keith and we'd all be losing our mind. That was an incredible sequence by a special young player. I am not worried about him becoming an impact NHLer in the slightest. His combination of skating, IQ, puck skills, and willingness/tenacity has 1st line NHLer written all over him. I'm certainly not going to go parading around the mainboards about this kid, but he's going to be a 60+ point player in this league and I feel pretty comfortable that I am being conservative on that guess.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Very true. I know he hasn't scored yet, but you just get the feeling the flood gates could open for this kid. He puts in that goal where he out skates (and gets mugged) by Keith and we'd all be losing our mind. That was an incredible sequence by a special young player. I am not worried about him becoming an impact NHLer in the slightest. His combination of skating, IQ, puck skills, and willingness/tenacity has 1st line NHLer written all over him. I'm certainly not going to go parading around the mainboards about this kid, but he's going to be a 60+ point player in this league and I feel pretty comfortable that I am being conservative on that guess.
100% agree with everything you have said here, he is creating good opportunities, I wish he would trust his shot more and not always look to defer to McDavid.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid's line ate Toews' alive tonight.

Corsi: 23-11
Shots: 16-4
Scoring chances: 14-5
High danger: 8-1

Only 3 of the 19 faceoffs were in the Hawks' end.

Holy moly.
McDavid 5v5 corsi this year is sick.

So current corsi 5v5 for players with 5+ games played goes..

Donskoi
Gryba
Yamamoto
McDavid
Maroon

McDavid is sitting at like.. 65%

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid 5v5 corsi this year is sick.

So current corsi 5v5 for players with 5+ games played goes..

Donskoi
Gryba
Yamamoto
McDavid
Maroon

McDavid is sitting at like.. 65%
One of these names is not like the others.

I guess this is why the coach is always putting the 3rd pairing out with McDavid, it's the easiest way to shelter them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
One of these names is not like the others.

I guess this is why the coach is always putting the 3rd pairing out with McDavid, it's the easiest way to shelter them.
Pretty much, and they truly do need the sheltering. We desperately need Benning to get his feet under him to tide us over until Sekera's return.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
100% agree with everything you have said here, he is creating good opportunities, I wish he would trust his shot more and not always look to defer to McDavid.
He was shooting a ton tonight so he is learning to.

I don't blame him for deferring to McDavid. He is a small kid who probably got told his whole life that he would never make the NHL and was too small. Then he gets drafted first round and makes an NHL team right out of camp and plays with the best player in the world. Kids overwhelmed but adapting.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah that's fair. He did shoot a lot tonight, but there were a couple plays he tried to pass when he should have shot. I'm not mad about that though because those plays showed his creativity and are some of the highlight reel type plays you often see highly skilled players make. I can live with that while he continues to acclimate to the NHL, and he's doing it at a pretty rapid pace.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty much, and they truly do need the sheltering. We desperately need Benning to get his feet under him to tide us over until Sekera's return.
Benning on the 3rd pairing, atleast gives McDavid a D man who has some offensive talent.

I wouldn't be opposed to running a lineup of
Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning

Atleast for the first bit, cause Sekera wont be anywhere close to 100% probably for most of the year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah that's fair. He did shoot a lot tonight, but there were a couple plays he tried to pass when he should have shot. I'm not mad about that though because those plays showed his creativity and are some of the highlight reel type plays you often see highly skilled players make. I can live with that while he continues to acclimate to the NHL, and he's doing it at a pretty rapid pace.
Those are also the plays that we praise to no end if it works and the pass gets through and looks like a brilliant play.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm fine with Yamamoto's strength levels at this point tbh. Obviously yes I want him to get stronger, and he still gets knocked around a bit when guys get body position on him (he likely will regardless his entire career), but he wins his fair share of puck battles and he hustles his ass off to do it. He's a nice little water bug out there with Maroon and McDavid who actually works quite well on the cycle because of his elusiveness.

Dont get me wrong...I really really like Yamamoto. I just think he needs to get stronger and I think he will get stronger.
That said I am more than willing to see how the next few games play out for him.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
He brings an element they need (speed and top 6 ability at RW)

I'll accept whatever they decide, but leaning more towards wanting him to stick, and I didn't expect that.
I'd have preferred him sent down but I'm coming around on that. As you say, the team has a serious lack of speed and skill. Not sure he can be sent down at this point. I'm not sure if it says more about the roster or him but he looks pretty good.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Speaking of corsi, McDavid has the highest raw corsi in the league with 153. Second is Maroon at 145.
McDonagh is third at 144 with 8 games played and Seth Jones is 4th with 141 and 7 games played ridiculous

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Benning on the 3rd pairing, atleast gives McDavid a D man who has some offensive talent.

I wouldn't be opposed to running a lineup of
Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning

Atleast for the first bit, cause Sekera wont be anywhere close to 100% probably for most of the year.
I could live with that at the start. We'll have to wait and see how Sekera looks when he's first back. Its pretty hit or miss with guys who miss this much time. Some seem to struggle to get their game back and some seem to transition back seamlessly. What I do know is that ACL repairs certainly aren't the end of the world. He might not have all of his strength back, but physios and trainers do a great job these days on pushing the recovery to the point that strength levels are not significantly lower upon return, and protocols need to be met before return to sport. The biggest thing will be Sekera trusting that knee when engaging in physical battles, and getting back up to game speed, which imo should be a lot easier for a vet who has been playing in this league for 10 years.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Dont get me wrong...I really really like Yamamoto. I just think he needs to get stronger and I think he will get stronger.
That said I am more than willing to see how the next few games play out for him.
I definitely agree he does need to get stronger, its just my opinion that he's already strong enough to play in the NHL with his skill set. Getting stronger will only help him turn into the impact player he's going to be down the road.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
He will likely continue to be a small player but he needs to get stronger IMO. So really it was my wording that needs to change. Instead if saying he is too small...I should have said he is too weak.

Also disagree about Junior. Nothing wrong with going back and dominating for a season and then coming back later in the year.

I hear what you're saying, and I guess I disagree.

It's not like he's a tall skinny kid that can put on some weight, gain some muscle, and start imposing his will. Will getting stronger help? Definitely. I just don't think strength is a determining factor for Yamamoto to have success NHL. For him to have success at this level, he needs to do a lot of things well, and a lot of that will be reading the play, then using his quickness, speed, and positioning. I'd rather he learns those things. Going back to Junior won't help him with that.

However, I'm not saying he's proved he should stay with the team. Take the four games (is there four more before they need to make a decision?). Sit him a couple of games if he needs to figure some stuff out. See if he can continue to adjust and improve. If he's not looking ready, send him down. But if games like tonight are the baseline from which he develops from, then I think you've got keep him up here.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Oilers looked good. Much better.
They still drive me nuts with the break out though. Every zone exit is an up the boards jump ball.
Could you imagine McDavid with D that could consistently hit him with a pass in the neutral zone on the fly?
Bottom line, Talbot was great, McDavid was great so we win.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I hear what you're saying, and I guess I disagree.

It's not like he's a tall skinny kid that can put on some weight, gain some muscle, and start imposing his will. Will getting stronger help? Definitely. I just don't think strength is a determining factor for Yamamoto to have success NHL. For him to have success at this level, he needs to do a lot of things well, and a lot of that will be reading the play, then using his quickness, speed, and positioning. I'd rather he learns those things. Going back to Junior won't help him with that.

However, I'm not saying he's proved he should stay with the team. Take the four games (is there four more before they need to make a decision?). Sit him a couple of games if he needs to figure some stuff out. See if he can continue to adjust and improve. If he's not looking ready, send him down. But if games like tonight are the baseline from which he develops from, then I think you've got keep him up here.

Fair enough.
I think Yamamoto will get stronger in terms of his lower body. He has such a low center of gravity and as he matures (and gets stronger) he wont get pushed off the puck so easily.
That IMO is when he has a chance to become an impact NHL player so I just dont see the need to rush him.
That said...I (like you) am open to seeing how the next few games play out.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I know it was for 5v5, but at 5v5 the Hawks definitely had more than 3 "high danger scoring chances."

I believe you're right about their calculation being determined by where the puck was shot from. Honestly labels is what makes me a bit frustrated with some advanced stats. The stat that they are giving us is not telling us what is and isn't a high danger scoring chance. The stat they are giving us is essentially # of shots from X, Y and Z distance from the net.

It's the same gripe I have with shot metrics. They are very often used as "possession" stats, but they don't measure how much a team has the puck, they measure how much a team shoots the puck. Sure there might be a correlation, but that isn't what is actually being measured.

There is value to all of these stats. But for a stat to be valuable it needs to be applied appropriately and accurately.
Couldn't agree more.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Beat IMO the top team in the West without Draisaitl and Sekera. Shrugs. No complaints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad