Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Blackhawks 1 - OT

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Tonight he had more shots than McDavid-2, RNH-1 ,Maroon-2, Slepy combined

Shoot more...He had 8 shots on net, last night...McDavid-3 Maroon-2 RNH-2

As I mentioned before I was referring to him passing off to 97 when the shot would've been a better play, more about the deference and pretty play aspect than simple shot numbers. The OMG MCDAVID effect.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I disagree.
He didn't score in the rookie camp but dominated training camp.
The kid takes time to adapt but when he does, he excels.

He did not dominate at the end of training camp against mostly NHL squads and he has not scored in a regular season against full NHL teams. Nice young player but people need to take off the rose colored glasses wrt their shiny new toy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He did not dominate at the end of training camp against mostly NHL squads and he has not scored in a regular season against full NHL teams. Nice young player but people need to take off the rose colored glasses wrt their shiny new toy.
Since he has been put with McDavid he has had a point per game and has hit I think...2-3 posts? And has had numerous chances. Kid is extremely good.
Him staying or not is another debate but considering this rose colored glasses.. :/

McDavid hasn't scored since we started playing real NHL teams (Calgary doesn't count). Nice young player but people need to take off the rose colored glasses with their shiny new toy. :P

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He has played fantastic the past 3 games, him having zero goals doesn't change that, maybe you need to put on a pair of prescription glasses so you can see that.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I would hate to see what we have on RW if Yamamoto was not here right now. One injury on RW and we are screwed badly, I think that makes him staying a really high possibility.
People also want to throw away Nuge like he is nothing, with Draisaitl hurt you can see how important center depth is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would hate to see what we have on RW if Yamamoto was not here right now. One injury on RW and we are screwed badly, I think that makes him staying a really high possibility.
People also want to throw away Nuge like he is nothing, with Draisaitl hurt you can see how important center depth is.

The fact that the roster is so thin on RW may end up being the main reason they keep Yamamoto on the team until the 40 game mark.
Thats more of a statement on Chiarelli than anything else.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
The fact that the roster is so thin on RW may end up being the main reason they keep Yamamoto on the team until the 40 game mark.
Thats more of a statement on Chiarelli than anything else.
Chia has done a pretty good job so far, I think people dont understand just how bad the organization he inherited was. Chia is still ridding McTavish's seriously stupid contracts, and there was no depth or players in the organization.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Keeping Yams on the top line with McDavid and putting Drai on the second line is the clear no brainer here . It gives us much needed depth and I'm curious to see if Drai can carry his own line.

Our RW is weak so I don't see any need to send down Yamamoto.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Keeping Yams on the top line with McDavid and putting Drai on the second line is the clear no brainer here . It gives us much needed depth and I'm curious to see if Drai can carry his own line.

Our RW is weak so I don't see any need to send down Yamamoto.
I wouldn't mind seeing lucic - rnh - draisaitl as a second line.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
At evens...

Yamamoto this season (tiny 5 games sample) 18 shots/60.......... 26 corsi/60............ 19 scoring chances/60........... 11 high danger chances/60

Puljujarvi last season (slightly larger 28 games sample) 7 shots/60............ 12 corsi/60.............. 5 scoring chances/60............. 2 high danger chances/60

Yamamoto is putting up some excellent stats in shot/chances generation so far. The puck hasn't gone in for him, but the shots and chances he is involved in are encouraging. Logic would say that it has to start clicking for him eventually unless he is the worst finisher in the NHL (not completely impossible but rather pessimistic to think so as well).

He is somewhat wrapped up in this low level of ability to finish along with the rest of the team.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Lucic-Draisaitl-RNH

There should be no reason that line can't produce... has size, decent defensive ability, passing ability... decent cycling as well. Maybe speed is just average but it seems like a fairly well balanced line that should be able to generate a decent amount of offense.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Chia has done a pretty good job so far, I think people dont understand just how bad the organization he inherited was. Chia is still ridding McTavish's seriously stupid contracts, and there was no depth or players in the organization.
The results have been good for Chia and he's made some excellent moves. He's made some bad ones too. He was left a mess but he was also left McDavid, Draisaitl and Klefbom.
Guymez is right on this. Chia overshot in adding grit, size and utility at the expense of speed and scoring. We needed those the things but now we're kind of a slow grinding team. When overtime hit last night it was painfully clear we lacked high end skill and speed by how many players were optimal options for 3 on 3 IMO.
I was of the mind KY should be sent down regardless of how he played. Cap hit considerations etc.
But seeing the lack of speed, skill and creativity on the team, and his ability to provide those things, I can't see how you send him down. Provided he maintains this level.
Guymez is right, it says as much about our RW depth and a weak offseason as it does KY.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I still don't think that play where KY out-muscled and out-skated Duncan Keith and nearly scored on a break away is being talked about enough. He nearly scored even though I thought he was being held and slashed the whole way. When was the last time we saw any Oiler forward not named McDavid or Drai make that sort of play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad