Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Blackhawks 1 - OT

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Yamamoto looks legit. If he keeps up this play over the next 3-4 games, he stays. Sorry to anyone who thinks he should be in the CHL (I don't necessarily disagree, but if he's looking NHL caliber, then he probably stays),
Yamamoto looks legit. If he keeps up this play over the next 3-4 games, he stays. Sorry to anyone who thinks he should be in the CHL (I don't necessarily disagree, but if he's looking NHL caliber, then he probably stays),
Tonight he had more shots than McDavid-2, RNH-1 ,Maroon-2, Slepy combined
In a nutshell.. yes.
I was in the send him down camp but he's making it harder by the game. He needs to shoot more, I'm not familiar with him in juniors so I don't know if that's his play or if it's an OMG MCDAVID thing.

The countdown is on.
Shoot more...He had 8 shots on net, last night...McDavid-3 Maroon-2 RNH-2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not to diminish the Oilers performance which was pretty solid but I came away from the game figuring that other than Kane and Toews the Hawks don't seem to have a lot of weapons. Saad was sad, Hawks got zero going offensively without the PK and only had that one long shift where they hemmed the Oilers in.

I could never understand the Panarin trade. Reading up it seems as if it was a way for management to shake the Hawks up. I think it was a huge mistake and the Hawks have removed themselves from contender conversation. Still a very good team, but no more likely to succeed in the playoffs then they were the last couple years. Hawks are on that slow decline and just trying to hang onto upper echelon. Didn't have to be that way, Panarin was excellent for them. I'm not familiar though with Hawks prospect pool. Are they going to go retool or rebuild?

TSN (I think it was) had just picked Hawks as the best WC club. I'm not seeing that.
It's all money and shake up.
If they lose in the first round again with the same roster it'll be much harder to move players and get less of a return. They were hoping bringing the gang back together can help them win.
They are trying to stay afloat. They moved Hammer cause the needed to move salary and no one is going to take Seabrooks contract. They moved Panarin because they simply could not afford him either.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not to diminish the Oilers performance which was pretty solid but I came away from the game figuring that other than Kane and Toews the Hawks don't seem to have a lot of weapons. Saad was sad, Hawks got zero going offensively without the PK and only had that one long shift where they hemmed the Oilers in.

I could never understand the Panarin trade. Reading up it seems as if it was a way for management to shake the Hawks up. I think it was a huge mistake and the Hawks have removed themselves from contender conversation. Still a very good team, but no more likely to succeed in the playoffs then they were the last couple years. Hawks are on that slow decline and just trying to hang onto upper echelon. Didn't have to be that way, Panarin was excellent for them. I'm not familiar though with Hawks prospect pool. Are they going to go retool or rebuild?

TSN (I think it was) had just picked Hawks as the best WC club. I'm not seeing that.

You could look at it the other way as well. Besides McDavid, the Oilers have literally nothing going on with Drai out and especially on the road this is going to continue being an issue if Todd insists on teaming up McDavid and Drai again. There was a few decent cycling shifts from the other lines but no skilled threats whatsoever, the lack of skill is very apparent.

I was thinking about Panarin when the Hawks were on the PP and feeling big time relief that Panarin wasn't on the half wall making plays. He always scared the bejeezus out of me when he had the puck. I only felt that fear when Kane had the puck.
They are also missing Hossa who was always an underrated player on that team if that's even possible considering how consistently good he has been in his career.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well that was a very good game. Solid all around, other than that atrocious goal that Talbot let in. Good defensively for the most part, we had a LOT of grit in our game, and we had an absurd % of the HDCF (82%). We still aren't finishing our chances at all though, which sucks.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It's all money and shake up.
If they lose in the first round again with the same roster it'll be much harder to move players and get less of a return. They were hoping bringing the gang back together can help them win.
They are trying to stay afloat. They moved Hammer cause the needed to move salary and no one is going to take Seabrooks contract. They moved Panarin because they simply could not afford him either.
Thanks, yeah, their D is considerably worse as well. Its hard to imagine how these moves makes a manager feel he is helping the club. I realize theres cap problems but the Hawks have the same problem the Kings have. That they pay a lot to a few players (they had to, its the price of success) but the Kings seem to have recruited better prospects and depth to the lineup. The Hawks are where the Kings were say 2yrs ago.

Its odd when management of a 3 time SC winner figures the club is underachieving. That's a pretty sordid view and I wonder how hard it is to play for the Hawks with every year expectation in mind. That isn't realistic in a capped competitive league. You can't win every year. In my estimation Kane and Toews contributions have already paid for themselves.

3 cups in Chicago will go down as a legend. The best that the Bobby Hull franchise has ever done which is amazing in comparison. Plus that Hull would probably not have won any cups in a 30 team capped league.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Tonight he had more shots than McDavid-2, RNH-1 ,Maroon-2, Slepy combined

Shoot more...He had 8 shots on net, last night...McDavid-3 Maroon-2 RNH-2

His shooting selection at the moment is crap. Shooting from areas he should be passing and passing from Grade A scoring areas. Its bizarre. His 8 shots last night look impressive... if you didn't watch the game.

I think if he can actually start scoring he may well stick because our RW is weak right now, but realistically he shouldn't even get another game IMO. He just hasn't shown enough to imagine he would be good enough over an 82+ game schedule.

The only Pro to keeping him now is how cheap he is... but that will be even truer next year if his ELC gets pushed. With the cap in mind its far more advantageous to send him down to develop one more year in junior and then have his ELC during the extremely difficult next 3 cap years. Having a cost controlled player that we already know has at least some success playing in a top 6 role is big. Very big. It really makes Chiarelli look like a genius if Yama continues to develope/play like he has been.

Reactions: guymez

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Saad I think is a better player than Panarin. They are both excellent players but it seems they really liked Saad and Panarin's contract was going to throw a further wrench in their cap situation so I can see the rationale behind the trade.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
You could look at it the other way as well. Besides McDavid, the Oilers have literally nothing going on with Drai out and especially on the road this is going to continue being an issue if Todd insists on teaming up McDavid and Drai again. There was a few decent cycling shifts from the other lines but no skilled threats whatsoever, the lack of skill is very apparent.

I was thinking about Panarin when the Hawks were on the PP and feeling big time relief that Panarin wasn't on the half wall making plays. He always scared the bejeezus out of me when he had the puck. I only felt that fear when Kane had the puck.
They are also missing Hossa who was always an underrated player on that team if that's even possible considering how consistently good he has been in his career.
Yep, I'd prefer the Oilers have more depth scoring but imo McD-Drai is better then the Hawks Kane-Toews. What won the Hawks the cups was having a much better D core. Not diminishing Kane Toews at all, but without that solid backend how far would they get in the playoffs.

Not mentioned though is the Oilers have a raft of sleepers. Yama of course, Slepy looks to be coming on again, Pulju hopefully in time and then we have a solid mix of players that can lend depth production. The thing is when Drai is healthy a guy like Slepy can be moved up to him and they can perform very well. Limited sample but I've liked the combo anytime I've seen it.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Thats the Klefbom and Talbot that we all know and love. Brad Malone brings good energy to the Bottom 6... I like that he likes to finish his checks and lay the body. Khaira needs to learn from that. As for Yamamoto... I'm torn whether to keep him up after 9 games or not. My brain says that he should be sent back to Juniors.. saving an extra year on his ELC could be big given our cap situation going forward. And Caggiula coming back can be a good replacement for Yammy on that line. Yam's been pretty good the last few games... but I think he has to be lights out good for him to stay up the whole year.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Well that was a very good game. Solid all around, other than that atrocious goal that Talbot let in. Good defensively for the most part, we had a LOT of grit in our game, and we had an absurd % of the HDCF (82%). We still aren't finishing our chances at all though, which sucks.

Yeah, but he shook it off and had a great game.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Saad I think is a better player than Panarin. They are both excellent players but it seems they really liked Saad and Panarin's contract was going to throw a further wrench in their cap situation so I can see the rationale behind the trade.
Saad may be a better all round player, and one the org is more comfortable with, but Panarin moves production on a whole other level and it isn't close. Thing is the Hawks moving on need more scoring depth as well and it seems they gave up a hell of a lot to get Saad back.

You are right though is the Hawks wouldn't be able to afford Panarin's next contract. Still, its gotta hurt finding that considerable talent then having to let him go. I think the Jackets did great on this deal. A Panarin marquee player would also sell more tickets in Columbus than a Saad.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
His shooting selection at the moment is crap. Shooting from areas he should be passing and passing from Grade A scoring areas. Its bizarre. His 8 shots last night look impressive... if you didn't watch the game.

I think if he can actually start scoring he may well stick because our RW is weak right now, but realistically he shouldn't even get another game IMO. He just hasn't shown enough to imagine he would be good enough over an 82+ game schedule.

The only Pro to keeping him now is how cheap he is... but that will be even truer next year if his ELC gets pushed. With the cap in mind its far more advantageous to send him down to develop one more year in junior and then have his ELC during the extremely difficult next 3 cap years. Having a cost controlled player that we already know has at least some success playing in a top 6 role is big. Very big. It really makes Chiarelli look like a genius if Yama continues to develope/play like he has been.

I watched the game. He didn't look like crap to me.

He hasn't put the puck in the net... yet. Sure he's deferring sometimes when he should be shooting, but I think 99% of players would defer if they had McDavid on their line and as a rookie player with 5 games experience.

If he's in grade A scoring areas and getting 8 shots... that's a pretty damn good sign imo.

He shouldn't get another game? You can't imagine he would be good enough over 82 when he's already getting many Grade A scoring chances (leads the league in scoring chances/60 and high danger chances /60)? Maybe my imagination is just a little more creative, because I can imagine he is going to start capitalizing and creating more offense from those chances he is involved in.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Saad does have 6 goals, and is a possession beast (historically). I think they wanted Saad back to get Toews going consistently again, so he doesn't have to carry a couple low end guys all the time, and just hope that Kane can continue to drive offence with whoever he plays with. I think they will be alright overall in the regular season.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Saad does have 6 goals, and is a possession beast (historically). I think they wanted Saad back to get Toews going consistently again, so he doesn't have to carry a couple low end guys all the time, and just hope that Kane can continue to drive offence with whoever he plays with. I think they will be alright overall in the regular season.

yeah but 3 of those came against a Pens club that for whatever reason didn't show up in that game.

The big picture is Panarin production averages 75pts and Saads career high is what, 53?

The possession stat to me is largely meaningless. Saad has played on teams and units that have excelled at possession, not just due to him.

Presumed possession beast or somebody that actually tilts scoreboards. I know which I would pick.

The Hawks will be alright in regular season although its looking like a team that won't be able to outscore opposition at will. I think the Hawks finish around 6th in the west.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Just as it befits this particular game Saad wasn't even a factor. Kane was good but didn't get it done without Panarin. You wonder if that pair would have the one difference making goal had Panarin still been a Hawk. I know as an Oilers fan I worry about Panarin a whole lot more than Saad.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

I liked Nurse last night. This highlight was great to see from him.

That obvious lack of hockey intelligence... :sarcasm:

But on a serious note, he's just getting better and better. Now if he can just develop a bit offensively (which I think is very much in the realm of possibility), this team is going to have an absolute gem on the back end. It's great to see him starting to exert himself physically more and more, though. Kid is thinking the game faster and making great decisions out there.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I watched the game. He didn't look like crap to me.

He hasn't put the puck in the net... yet. Sure he's deferring sometimes when he should be shooting, but I think 99% of players would defer if they had McDavid on their line and as a rookie player with 5 games experience.

If he's in grade A scoring areas and getting 8 shots... that's a pretty damn good sign imo.

He shouldn't get another game? You can't imagine he would be good enough over 82 when he's already getting many Grade A scoring chances (leads the league in scoring chances/60 and high danger chances /60)? Maybe my imagination is just a little more creative, because I can imagine he is going to start capitalizing and creating more offense from those chances he is involved in.

I hate it when people twist things posted to suit their own narrative. Maybe you just made a mistake but I did not post Yamamoto was crap. In fact I clearly state if he starts putting in some goals he may well stick the whole year. Not something you say if you think someone is crap.

I do think the Oilers and Yamamoto are far better off returning him to junior right now but that's big picture stuff. I don't think we are going to miss him racking up grade A goal scoring misses per 60 on McDavids wing this year to any significant amount.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So what happens to Yamamoto when he's moved off a line with McDavid? Can he still contribute when not playing with reigning MVP?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->