Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Does anyone think LL brings in a couple PTOs?

Who are your 5 candidates?

1. Lindberg
2. Nichushkin
3. Rieder
4. Sheahan
5. Watson

Well, Rieder is Kuhnhackl's best friend. They played men's hockey in Germany when they were 16 - on the same line. Rieder was always more highly touted. Wasn't too long ago that he was doing very good things for Arizona.

Reactions: periferal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
1) maybe
2) no, will probably go back to the KHL
3) had a terrible year last season, may want to prove himself
4) maybe
5) wasn’t he suspended for like 20 games for domestic abuse?
Kinda OT, but I really like the look of the jerseys in your avatar. Having a more muted version of our color scheme on a 3rd jersey has always seemed like a good idea to me. It would evoke sand, ocean and sky (like the beach, which would be cool for "Islanders"). I think those look great. Do you have a larger version of that you can paste in?

Reactions: SI

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Lou doesn't like the deadline so this is the same team as last year.
I don't care about 103 points. Fluke year that won't happen again. Right now we look like a lottery team. Not sure if that was Lou's plan all along.

Sounds exactly like what you and everyone thought last year.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Marner may want 5x$13m, but he'd only get that from TOR. A team giving up four 1st round picks is going to want more security. The short term options would be 4 or 5 years at $10.5 million (which TOR would probably match) or a 1 or 2 year deal for like $13 million. So if a team is serious about actually getting Marner, I think it's got to be around $13 million for either 1-2 or 7 years.
I would consider $10.5m for 4 or 5 years. If they match, sie la vie. It’s not a deal that TML want to do and they aren’t offering anything like that right now. I agree they’d probably ultimately match, but that really hamstrings them in 5 years as they have to re-up Nylander, Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: IslandersGER

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Does anyone think LL brings in a couple PTOs?

Who are your 5 candidates?

1. Lindberg
2. Nichushkin
3. Rieder
4. Sheahan
5. Watson

Sheahan is the perfect 4th line center to allow Cizikas to move into the 3rd C slot.

Reactions: dood

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
We can play with this:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Thrasymachus

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Kinda OT, but I really like the look of the jerseys in your avatar. Having a more muted version of our color scheme on a 3rd jersey has always seemed like a good idea to me. It would evoke sand, ocean and sky (like the beach, which would be cool for "Islanders"). I think those look great. Do you have a larger version of that you can paste in?
Actually that was an ad for the playoff tickets that I just copied and cropped. I think I deleted the cropped version off my PC. Sorry lol. I’ll see if I can find it

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Well, Rieder is Kuhnhackl's best friend. They played men's hockey in Germany when they were 16 - on the same line. Rieder was always more highly touted. Wasn't too long ago that he was doing very good things for Arizona.

Pretty sure the knock on Reider is his lack of desire to play defense. Not sure he'd be a good fit. He's another guy that needs top 6 play to be valuable because he just doesn't do enough defensively. Too many guys nowadays with oodles of skill but being pushed out of the NHL because they just won't commit to a 2 way game. Could also be they aren't smart enough to grasp it either, who knows...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It would just be shocking to me if Lou didn't complete a trade by start of the season. There's still a decent amount of movement to be had led by the remaining amount of high-end RFA's to be signed. Even if all of them are resigned by their teams, the contracts they get could force those teams to deal other players given their cap situations.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It would just be shocking to me if Lou didn't complete a trade by start of the season. There's still a decent amount of movement to be had led by the remaining amount of high-end RFA's to be signed. Even if all of them are resigned by their teams, the contracts they get could force those teams to deal other players given their cap situations.
I haven't compared it to other years for shear numbers but the list of as yet unsigned players, both UFA and RFA, is extensive. Most of them are of the non-impact variety but with a little over a month until camps open, things are going to have to start popping here soon.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Pretty sure the knock on Reider is his lack of desire to play defense. Not sure he'd be a good fit. He's another guy that needs top 6 play to be valuable because he just doesn't do enough defensively. Too many guys nowadays with oodles of skill but being pushed out of the NHL because they just won't commit to a 2 way game. Could also be they aren't smart enough to grasp it either, who knows...

Are we talking about the same player? The kid has always been someone who played a 200' game and killed penalties.

Am I wrong?

Tobias Rieder: the German Army Knife

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'd give the kid a pass playing in Edmonton last season.

I would sign Lindberg and Rieder and put Beau on the LW and roll that out as the 3rd line next season.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Guess I could be wrong. I didn't know he killed penalties. He's moving on for what, his 4th time? Has to be something wrong there...

I think he might be worth a gamble. I prefer Rieder out there over Dal Colle and Kuhnackl. He doesn't solve the 3C or top 6 role, but does fill a PK need and if Beau gets promoted to a top 6 role Rieder slots right into that LW 3.

He has two of his countrymen on this team- might be a sneaky good low risk move. I also feel the same way about Lindberg.

Reactions: dood

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Guess I could be wrong. I didn't know he killed penalties. He's moving on for what, his 4th time? Has to be something wrong there...

I don't know much about him but he seems like one of those guys that gets points on a junky team because of an elevated role. If you put him in the bottom 6, he's unproductive.

He's a winger anyway. The team needs a bottom 6 center above all else. They have zero depth there.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think he might be worth a gamble. I prefer Rieder out there over Dal Colle and Kuhnackl. He doesn't solve the 3C or top 6 role, but does fill a PK need and if Beau gets promoted to a top 6 role Rieder slots right into that LW 3.

He has two of his countrymen on this team- might be a sneaky good low risk move. I also feel the same way about Lindberg.

I happen to like Kuhnackl for what he does, but Rieder would definitely bring more speed. Guess it depends on how much he wants. Seems he's also been a contract haggler in his short career. I liked him when I watched him on AZ and he was on my fantasy team. He wasn't good for Edmonton both times though....but who is other than the big three lol.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Interesting. I've always seen him as a very capable defensive forward who surprised a bit for a few years there with his ability to pop in a dozen+ goals.

However, his plus/minus sure doesn't indicate that.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Had three seasons with Arizona and got traded to the Kings as a UFA rental.

Then signed with Edmonton and fell off the planet along with another handful of forwards.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Yet another late first rounder who ended up a journeyman. Looks like he's a pretty good face-off guy though. What are his other strengths?

Checks all the boxes for a 4C and can probably chip in 8-10 goals too; he's cored over 24 points 5 times at chipped in 9G/10A last year. Really good size for that role too. Frankly I'm shocked he's still available. I really want Casey to center the 3rd line and have Dal Colle and Ho-Sang as linemates if we stay pat.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I could definitely see Oscar Lindberg as a serviceable 4C, which would allow Cizikas to play 3C and then they have Komarov as the emergency center in case of an injury during a game. I would be fine with bringing in Lindberg on a PTO or reasonable one-year deal.

Honestly, if we are talking about a good fit one a one-year deal, I really believe that Vladislav Namestnikov would be a solid player, especially in Trotz's system. He can essentially play anywhere in the lineup and is on an expiring contract. And it shouldn't cost much to get him, probably a late draft pick, fringe prospect or some combination of both.

I know it is tough to stomach by essentially "helping" the Rangers (taking on Namestnikov's salary so they can sign Kreider), but it would probably work out well for both teams. With an expiring contract, Namestnikov could also be easily moved during the season, if Koivula shows he is ready to play center at the NHL level or if another upgrade can be found elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad