Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Not sure if mentioned anywhere. Say it's not true that the Rags have 13 national games next season on NBC or NBCSN while our playoff team Islanders have only 2 scheduled and both are NBCSN night games at Barclays . I hate those Dirty Rags .
Those dirty rags leave a bad taste in my mouth... :eek::laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Treebeard

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Not sure if mentioned anywhere. Say it's not true that the Rags have 13 national games next season on NBC or NBCSN while our playoff team Islanders have only 2 scheduled and both are NBCSN night games at Barclays . I hate those Dirty Rags .

And we wonder why free agents want to play for the Rags, Philly, etc. and not the Islanders.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Well yeah. They bring in eyeballs and money. We don't. Even if we made the finals last year it would be the same thing.

People need to realize it is going to take a WHILE before we are a respected team, which is evident in our scheduling, our ability to attract talent, etc.

NickyP76

Apr 23, 2012
Long Island
The roster as currently constituted is pathetic. Last year will not repeat itself. Natural regression is due, the JT leaving chip on everyone’s shoulder is gone, and being back at the Coliseum is no longer a new item. They must add a 3rd line C, and top 6 wing immediately. The Winger should be a legit 1st loner but I’m not holding my breath.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
The roster as currently constituted is pathetic. Last year will not repeat itself. Natural regression is due, the JT leaving chip on everyone’s shoulder is gone, and being back at the Coliseum is no longer a new item. They must add a 3rd line C, and top 6 wing immediately. The Winger should be a legit 1st loner but I’m not holding my breath.

Though some regression should be expected (Filppula's spot and Cizikis being likely candidates) as a young team, growth should also be expected from several parts of the lineup, including Barzal, Beauvillier, Toews, Pulock, Mayfield and Pelech. If Cizikis moves up in the line-up as the third C he could come close to last year, and if a scoring winger enters the line-up (Wahlstrom, Bellows, JHS) they could help improve on the bottom-six scoring, where the wingers combined for 26 goals between five players.

Reactions: dood and Treebeard

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
And we wonder why free agents want to play for the Rags, Philly, etc. and not the Islanders.
Stop playing the victim. It's a bad look for us.

Though some regression should be expected (Filppula's spot and Cizikis being likely candidates) as a young team, growth should also be expected from several parts of the lineup, including Barzal, Beauvillier, Toews, Pulock, Mayfield and Pelech. If Cizikis moves up in the line-up as the third C he could come close to last year, and if a scoring winger enters the line-up (Wahlstrom, Bellows, JHS) they could help improve on the bottom-six scoring, where the wingers combined for 26 goals between five players.

Love this take! I expect a big jump from Barzal and I think Toews is going to jump into the mainstream knowledge bubble this year.

I am pretty concerned with our goaltending but in Barry we trust!

Reactions: The Real JT

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

The bolded names, Leddy, Lee, and Eberle should AUTOMATICALLY see their offensive numbers improve if Hiller is worth his contract as a PP coach. Get this team into the top 15, much less the top 10, in league PP proficiency and our main weapons will be looking at a good handful more points this season.

DEPTH:
If this team brings in a PTO player at camp, which Lou alluded to in the Newsday article yesterday, I'm betting it will be a center.

And it won't be Kovar.

Reactions: dood

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Anyone else find the Jokiharju trade kind of hilarious? I remember during last season, I wondered what it would cost to pry him out of Chicago and their fans were saying things like "2 1sts", "Beauvillier + 1sts" or "it starts with Dobson then add".

Then he gets dealt for Alex Nylander?

The bolded names, Leddy, Lee, and Eberle should AUTOMATICALLY see their offensive numbers improve if Hiller is worth his contract as a PP coach. Get this team into the top 15, much less the top 10, in league PP proficiency and our main weapons will be looking at a good handful more points this season.

DEPTH:
If this team brings in a PTO player at camp, which Lou alluded to in the Newsday article yesterday, I'm betting it will be a center.

And it won't be Kovar.

I just looked up Hiller because I honestly didn't know what you were talking about.

Should we really be excited about a guy who f***ed up the Leafs powerplay with more offensive talent?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Leaning more and more toward Boyle. Not saying it's gonna happen, but I think he would be a great fit. Would be a great mentor for Koivula, too, whom I think can play a prominent role for this team, in a year or two.

Also think Beau is gonna find another gear. IMO, he has just seemed a bit overwhelmed, and just needs a bot of time to adjust.

The only players that I think are good candidates for regression, are Ladd, Clutterbuck, and Boychuk. Boychuk only because of age. The guy is a warrior and good team guy, but I think injuries need to be factored in. Maybe purposely give him some rest during the season, and see what Mayfield and Hutton have, so our Boy is healthy for PO's.

Ladd and Cbuck regression don't affect this team much. They are buyout candidates, IMO.

Throw in a few wildcards like JHS, Whally, Dobson, and we could be in for an exciting and encouraging year.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real JT

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Anyone else find the Jokiharju trade kind of hilarious? I remember during last season, I wondered what it would cost to pry him out of Chicago and their fans were saying things like "2 1sts", "Beauvillier + 1sts" or "it starts with Dobson then add".

Then he gets dealt for Alex Nylander?

Most of the scouting and journalistic community was wondering what Chicago was doing with that move. Everyone sees the supposed defensive depth Chicago has in its prospect bin and can understand maybe moving a piece to strengthen another part of the system, but most felt Jokiharju's trade value was considerably better than that of Nylander.

It'll be very interesting to see what becomes of that, because many feel Nylander isn't going to make it whatsoever. Then again, Chicago has done well with the odd prospect or two that another team was about to give up on.

I just looked up Hiller because I honestly didn't know what you were talking about.

Should we really be excited about a guy who ****ed up the Leafs powerplay with more offensive talent?

Not to pick on you here, but check out his career as a PP coach, because it's a bit more extensive than what was going on in Toronto just last season.

And if fans of the Leafs happen to be your source of info about what the industry thinks of Hiller, then I can't help you.

The guy is widely seen as one of the best PP coaches in the NHL and the following is clear - there's a heck of a lot more backing up his resume than that of a one Mr. Gomez.

This said, the proof will be in the pudding, but after bringing in Trotz, Lambert, Korn, Greco, etc., I'm going to assume Lou is SPOT ON with this hiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Treebeard

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Leaning more and more toward Boyle. Not saying it's gonna happen, but I think he would be a great fit. Would be a great mentor for Koivula, too, whom I think can play a prominent role for this team, in a year or two.

Also think Beau is gonna find another gear. IMO, he has just seemed a bit overwhelmed, and just needs a bot of time to adjust.

The only players that I think are good candidates for regression, are Ladd, Clutterbuck, and Boychuk. Boychuk only because of age. The guy is a warrior and good team guy, but I think injuries need to be factored in. Maybe purposely give him some rest during the season, and see what Mayfield and Hutton have, so our Boy is healthy for PO's.

Ladd and Cbuck regression don't affect this team much. They are buyout candidates, IMO.

Throw in a few wildcards like JHS, Whally, Dobson, and we could be in for an exciting and encouraging year.

Isn't Koivula a skill guy? Boyle is a grinder, so other than size I don't really see how he'd be a good mentor.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Isn't Koivula a skill guy? Boyle is a grinder, so other than size I don't really see how he'd be a good mentor.
Koivula, while impressive last year in the A, I don't expect to see him in a top 6 role on the Ilses, anytime soon.

He was a low draft pick, and while I wouldn't rule out a top 6 role, I think it is best to give him a bottom 6 role, and see if he can rise up to it. Boyle can teach him about leadership, face-offs, and how to use his size, which I think Boyle is great at.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Koivula, while impressive last year in the A, I don't expect to see him in a top 6 role on the Ilses, anytime soon.

He was a low draft pick, and while I wouldn't rule out a top 6 role, I think it is best to give him a bottom 6 role, and see if he can rise up to it. Boyle can teach him about leadership, face-offs, and how to use his size, which I think Boyle is great at.

Well, problem with this train of thought is that these two would hardly ever be in the same spot.

Not unless Koivula would be on the island. But if Boyle (or any NHL center) is signed, what are the chances of that?

So when and how would he be mentoring him? Even training camp is only like 7 days long nowadays. It's not the 3-4 week venture you saw in the 80s.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
A pretty good college Dman is now a UFA.

Chase Priskie could be a Will Butcher-style UFA signing, having spurned the Capitals to become a free agent.

Alas, I don't see any need for him in the organization and feel he'll be seeking out more promising pastures.

But there is another UFA college kid who will not likely be signed by his drafting team and I would love to see him get an AHL contract for Bridgeport.

Joe Wegwerth is his name. Until injuries hit, it looked like he was in line for a real big season with Notre Dame last year - after years of an almost purely defensive role.

I think he'll be a late bloomer...

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Boy you're setting the bar pretty low saying Ladd will regress.

As for Clutter, I've always been a big fan but considering the game he plays with, I think he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad