Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Honestly, if we are talking about a good fit one a one-year deal, I really believe that Vladislav Namestnikov would be a solid player, especially in Trotz's system. He can essentially play anywhere in the lineup and is on an expiring contract. And it shouldn't cost much to get him, probably a late draft pick, fringe prospect or some combination of both.

I know it is tough to stomach by essentially "helping" the Rangers (taking on Namestnikov's salary so they can sign Kreider), but it would probably work out well for both teams. With an expiring contract, Namestnikov could also be easily moved during the season, if Koivula shows he is ready to play center at the NHL level or if another upgrade can be found elsewhere.

Yeppppppppp, not happening.

Just don't see how giving up any assets, to the Rangers of all teams, to get a guy who you basically have by signing UFAs like Brassard or Sheahan is going to be something Lou would entertain.

We also should't forget that we've got 16 waiver-eligible forwards under contract as things are right now.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I could definitely see Oscar Lindberg as a serviceable 4C, which would allow Cizikas to play 3C and then they have Komarov as the emergency center in case of an injury during a game. I would be fine with bringing in Lindberg on a PTO or reasonable one-year deal.

Honestly, if we are talking about a good fit one a one-year deal, I really believe that Vladislav Namestnikov would be a solid player, especially in Trotz's system. He can essentially play anywhere in the lineup and is on an expiring contract. And it shouldn't cost much to get him, probably a late draft pick, fringe prospect or some combination of both.

I know it is tough to stomach by essentially "helping" the Rangers (taking on Namestnikov's salary so they can sign Kreider), but it would probably work out well for both teams. With an expiring contract, Namestnikov could also be easily moved during the season, if Koivula shows he is ready to play center at the NHL level or if another upgrade can be found elsewhere.
Another former Lightning and a virtual clone of Filppula, just younger. (Our new Franz!?) A nice player but if we're serious about upgrading our O, probably not the place to devote resources.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Yeppppppppp, not happening.

Just don't see how giving up any assets, to the Rangers of all teams, to get a guy who you basically have by signing UFAs like Brassard or Sheahan is going to be something Lou would entertain.

We also should't forget that we've got 16 waiver-eligible forwards under contract as things are right now.

I would rather sign Lindberg before adding either Brassard or Sheahan.

Personally, I think Brassard is one of the most overrated players in the NHL and is next to worthless on a good team. To me, he is one of those guys who gets his numbers on bad teams and provides almost nothing of value to good teams, struggling significantly when he is pushed down the lineup and doesn't get any time on the PP. And on a good team, Brassard shouldn't be on the PP at all at this point in his career. Brassard seems to be one of those players who simply hasn't adjusted his game and realized he needs to carve out a different role now.

Sheahan I could see though, especially on a PTO. If he beats out other forwards and claims a spot with the Isles, great, competition is always good. If he doesn't beat out the competition, then he either gets claimed by another team, traded or goes down to the AHL if he cannot find a spot elsewhere. Very low risk.

That said, all things being equal, I believe Namestnikov is an upgrade and better player than any of the other three. He can play anywhere in the lineup and I believe he would put together a good season with the Isles. Of course I would rather see a big upgrade made in the top-six first, which might cost roster players in trade, and then a spot would open up for a player like Namestnikov.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Another former Lightning and a virtual clone of Filppula, just younger. (Our new Franz!?) A nice player but if we're serious about upgrading our O, probably not the place to devote resources.

I agree with the overall roster construction and need for an upgrade in the top-six. I believe at least two moves would need to be made.

An example would be something along the lines of a trade with Winnipeg for one of Laine, Connor or Ehlers (presumably because they are running into contract/signing issues with either Laine or Connor). Depending on the player coming back from among Laine, Connor or Ehlers, I could see moving a trade package built around Leddy and Beau (they get an infusion of talent on defense who is signed in Leddy and a young forward with room to grow that is not going to be very costly) plus maybe another roster forward that will be subject to waivers.

That adds the top-six player the Isles need, frees up a spot on defense if they believe Aho is ready (or Dobson, although he is a RHD of course so some shuffling would be needed) and clears out a couple roster forwards. Then you do a small deal for Namestnikov, essentially just taking on the salary.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Interesting. I've always seen him as a very capable defensive forward who surprised a bit for a few years there with his ability to pop in a dozen+ goals.

However, his plus/minus sure doesn't indicate that.

One slight correction, the Kings did not qualify Rieder making him a UFA, maybe Kings saw something and that only continued in Edmonton. All that aside, I was mentioning Rieder on a PTO, so if he is bad and doesn't make the team, then you just cut him.

On Lindberg, I think can be a low-risk signing that can pay off at least until Koivula gets brought up later in the season.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
1) maybe
2) no, will probably go back to the KHL
3) had a terrible year last season, may want to prove himself
4) maybe
5) wasn’t he suspended for like 20 games for domestic abuse?

On Nichuskin, I thought he would sign in the KHL, but that hasn't happened yet and the season is about to start in the next couple of weeks. Again, if he is willing to accept a PTO, he can prove his worth.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It would just be shocking to me if Lou didn't complete a trade by start of the season. There's still a decent amount of movement to be had led by the remaining amount of high-end RFA's to be signed. Even if all of them are resigned by their teams, the contracts they get could force those teams to deal other players given their cap situations.

I am starting to think otherwise -
Winnipeg, Calgary, and Vancouver are the 3 teams in the toughest spots.

In Winnipeg -
Laine and Connor combined AAV could reach over 16, but if Laine makes it difficult and a trade is in their near future, then, IMO, Montreal and Philly could outbid the Isles, since we lack C prospects that Winnipeg would want in a trade for Laine.
My prediction - Jets keep both. Laine signs a 3-year deal under 8 while Connor signs a longer deal and the Jets bargain hunt to fill out the rest of their

In Calgary -
If Tkachuk wants more than 7.7 aav, then I assume Frolik or (possibly Sam Bennett) could be had for cheap or Calgary could roll with a 22 man roster for the season. Bennett would be an intriguing acquisition (a young 3C to play), but Calgary has been reluctant to move the former top prospect.
My prediction - Tkachuk will sign for exactly 7.6 AAV for maybe on a 3-year deal.

Vancouver -
Boeser needs to be resigned, so does Goldobin. The team has a number of F's, who many need to pass waivers. Vancouver could use some more depth on D, especially if they want to give Hughes some time in the AHL to adjust to the pro game. Sutter, Beagle, and Erickson are all high priced vets Vancouver would like to move. The oft Injured Baerstchi could be had for cheap if Vancouver wants to reduce payroll.
My prediction - Boeser signs a 3 year deal worth 6 aav and Vancouver loses one or two of its F's to waivers.

Other teams -
Philly, Tampa, and Boston are tight to the Cap, but have just another space to assume (Provorov, Konecny, Point, Erne, McAvoy, and Carlo) they will sign all their RFAs and be cap compliant.
Colorado has enough space to sign Rantanen.
Vegas solved their issue and need a 7th d man and have enough to get that done.
Chicago needs to sign Perlini and two other F's, but have 3+ million in space and it is safe to assume that Perlini without Arb. rights will have to accept QO and that leaves about 2 million to sign 2 league vets to fill out the bottom 6.

Outside of a late signing of Boyle or one of the remaining Free agent C's or a couple of the potential PTO's, then it looks like these are the players heading into camp.

Benefactors - Dal Colle, Fritz, and Ho-Sang all have a tremendous opportunity in front of them.
This is "do or die" for all 3 of these players.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If Marner signs that offer sheet, then we'll know that "Joshua Marshall" is Darren Ferris' incognito twitter account.
Now we're getting somewhere! And did you realize that "Joshua Marshall" in an anagram for "Ajar Slalom Hush"?!?! :eek2:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That was his second time with the Oilers...he was there first and had a contract issue with them. Went to Arizona and Arizona let him go because of contract demands as well.

Arizona traded him at the deadline.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Arizona traded him at the deadline.
I know, I read several articles. They had talks of extending him and thought his demands were too high. They also didn't want to block the youth and felt like his offensive output wasn't enough to keep him over young guys coming up so they let him go (ie. traded him at the deadline).

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Took in some games of Da Beauty League yesterday. Lee did not play but Leddy, Nelson and Bellows did. You can tell that a lot of the college and AHL guys are trying just a little bit harder. Nelson and Guentzle definitely have a lot of chemistry together. Lots of no look passes and fancy set-ups. Since it is 4 on 4 Leddy's skating definitely stood out. While he technically played D he was all over the place - driving to the net generating scoring chances and then hustling back to be the first D back. Really flying out there. Bellows looked completely lazy and disinterested. Bit of a bummer. Brock Boeser was probably the best player all night. He scored three goals in like the first 90 seconds of his game. Then took it easy and just looked to set guys up. LOL.

Alex Stalock stayed after the last game and signed autographs for all the kids. And I mean ALL the kids. The rink was empty, half the lights turned off and he stayed and signed autographs until every last one of the kids got one. Super cool. As they say out here, "Oh yah, dat guys a real beauty."

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Took in some games of Da Beauty League yesterday. Lee did not play but Leddy, Nelson and Bellows did. You can tell that a lot of the college and AHL guys are trying just a little bit harder. Nelson and Guentzle definitely have a lot of chemistry together. Lots of no look passes and fancy set-ups. Since it is 4 on 4 Leddy's skating definitely stood out. While he technically played D he was all over the place - driving to the net generating scoring chances and then hustling back to be the first D back. Really flying out there. Bellows looked completely lazy and disinterested. Bit of a bummer. Brock Boeser was probably the best player all night. He scored three goals in like the first 90 seconds of his game. Then took it easy and just looked to set guys up. LOL.

Alex Stalock stayed after the last game and signed autographs for all the kids. And I mean ALL the kids. The rink was empty, half the lights turned off and he stayed and signed autographs until every last one of the kids got one. Super cool. As they say out here, "Oh yah, dat guys a real beauty."
Good stuff. Do you get any love from the players if you're wearing their gear? Does Brock develop half an expression when he sees the blue and orange?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Good stuff. Do you get any love from the players if you're wearing their gear? Does Brock develop half an expression when he sees the blue and orange?
Ha! Not sure. I wasn't wearing any gear and it's just the kids that crowd the tunnel and ask for autographs. Typically it's just a couple of players that stop to sign and chat (usually Wild and/or local boys) while the rest head into the locker rooms. My son wanted Brock's autograph - had the program turned to his picture but he just walked by. Vinni Lettieri (Ranger) did stop and actually signed it right on Brock Nelson's picture. He did say to my son "That's not me." LOL

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I am starting to think otherwise -
Winnipeg, Calgary, and Vancouver are the 3 teams in the toughest spots.

Chicago needs to sign Perlini and two other F's, but have 3+ million in space and it is safe to assume that Perlini without Arb. rights will have to accept QO and that leaves about 2 million to sign 2 league vets to fill out the bottom 6.

I think they're going to stick with what they've got.

Kampf, Kubalik (basically another Kahun), Saarela, Sikura, Nylander, Quenneville, and even Highmore & Nilsson will be battling things out for basically 3 jobs.

I'd even say Wedin, Fortin and Soderlund have outside chances.

And that's of course assuming that there are no surprises from the likes of Dach or Kurashev.

In any case, I can say that Kubalik and Saarela are both ready to be contributing members to the top 9 attack. From what I hear, Sikura is basically a given in some capacity and Kampf has already played regular shifts for the Hawks. Also, gotta think they want to force-feed Nylander an opportunity after what they paid for him.

I can't imagine them adding anything else from the outside without moving some of these pieces.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think they're going to stick with what they've got.

Kampf, Kubalik (basically another Kahun), Saarela, Sikura, Nylander, Quenneville, and even Highmore & Nilsson will be battling things out for basically 3 jobs.

I'd even say Wedin, Fortin and Soderlund have outside chances.

And that's of course assuming that there are no surprises from the likes of Dach or Kurashev.

In any case, I can say that Kubalik and Saarela are both ready to be contributing members to the top 9 attack. From what I hear, Sikura is basically a given in some capacity and Kampf has already played regular shifts for the Hawks. Also, gotta think they want to force-feed Nylander an opportunity after what they paid for him.

I can't imagine them adding anything else from the outside without moving some of these pieces.

That's a lot of F depth for Chicago and most do not have to pass thru waivers (except Quenneville).

I wonder about Isles sticking with what they have.

It's not just about addressing their top 6 and PP, but also the 3C and someone who can kill penalties.

If they were to roll out with what they have assuming Ladd and Clutterbuck start the season on IR:

5 on 5 Forward Line up
Bailey - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Nelson - *Ho-Sang or Dal Colle
*Beauvillier - **Fritz - Komarov
Martin - Cizikas - Kuhnackl
Johnston

*If Ho-Sang plays over Dal Colle, then he fits perfectly with Lee and Nelson. If Dal Colle plays, then dropping him down to play with Fritz and Komarov and elevating Beauvillier into a top 6 role makes the most sense.

** Just don't love the idea of running Fritz out every night with no other true C options available. If you sit Fritz, then do you move Komarov to the middle (which Trotz did not like to do last season) or do you play Kuhnackl out of position (also something Trotz did not like to do) or do you move Bailey? All of those options are OK for a game here or there, but not for long stretches. If Isles were to sign someone, then Boyle seems to fill this need.

Powerplay
PP1

Lee - *Bailey - Eberle - Barzal - Toews
PP2
Beauvillier - *Nelson - Ho-Sang (or Dal Colle) - Pulock - Leddy

*Bailey and Nelson can swap here, but that would leave a glaring hole on the 2nd PP. With Clutterbuck out, then the second PP unit needs a player, who can park themselves in front of the net. Nelson is the only top 6 player that fills that role unless Dal Colle can step up and show more than he did last season and fill that role - he has the size. Brian Boyle fits that role perfectly, he scored about 6 PP goals last season parking himself in front of the net.

Another reason to have Nelson on the 2nd PP is to get another shooter in there and without Nelson, there aren't many shooters on that 2nd PP.

Penalty Kill
PK 1

Cizikas - Komarov
PK 2
Nelson - Kuhnackl
PK 3
*(Fritz?) - *(Beauvillier?)

Nelson will need to basically replace Filppula here and be required to do more in the defensive zone and kill penalties on the regular. Kuhnackl will be forced to be a regular and play every night since he is trusted to kill penalties and Trotz does not have anyone on the roster that helps to spell Kuhnackl on nights.

Fritz and Beauvillier are likely candidates here as well as Martin, who has seen PK time too, but IMO that group does not inspire much confidence. Not to mention that everyone (except for Cizikas) is subpar on draws. If Isles signed Boyle, this would be another area where he fills a direct need. If they don't, then the team will need to get much more out of Nelson and Beauvillier.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
A few comments...

• From Lou: “Without a new arena, there would not be the Islanders on Long Island. I think that says it all.” Well they could still be in New York though right Lou?
  • From Lou: "None of our restricted free agents will be an issue, we’ll have everyone signed,” Lamoriello said. “A couple of them have already agreed, it’s just getting everything executed.” Since only Beauvillier, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang are RFA's, I'd say Lou's offseason is just about done...Unless he makes a trade.
  • Or..."Lamoriello said he also expects to bring at least one player into training camp on a professional tryout offer..."
  • “What we don’t want to do is overstock what we have,” Lamoriello said. “If we can pick the right kind of player that can complement, or we can complement him, we’ll do it. We also have a couple of excellent young players,” Lamoriello added. “We’re going to have to wait and see where they’re at. Because they’ll force us to make some decisions on all the players, who will be able to bring players in return in a trade.” TRANSLATION - "If any Dobson/Wilde/Aho show us they can make the team in training camp, we will pull the trigger on a Leddy deal for a forward we've been discussing with X team. And if 2 of them can make it, Mayfield might go as well along with other picks/prospects to fetch another top-6 forward."

Reactions: xECK29x

crasherino

May 9, 2013
A few comments...

• From Lou: “Without a new arena, there would not be the Islanders on Long Island. I think that says it all.” Well they could still be in New York though right Lou?
  • From Lou: "None of our restricted free agents will be an issue, we’ll have everyone signed,” Lamoriello said. “A couple of them have already agreed, it’s just getting everything executed.” Since only Beauvillier, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang are RFA's, I'd say Lou's offseason is just about done...Unless he makes a trade.
  • Or..."Lamoriello said he also expects to bring at least one player into training camp on a professional tryout offer..."
  • “What we don’t want to do is overstock what we have,” Lamoriello said. “If we can pick the right kind of player that can complement, or we can complement him, we’ll do it. We also have a couple of excellent young players,” Lamoriello added. “We’re going to have to wait and see where they’re at. Because they’ll force us to make some decisions on all the players, who will be able to bring players in return in a trade.” TRANSLATION - "If any Dobson/Wilde/Aho show us they can make the team in training camp, we will pull the trigger on a Leddy deal for a forward we've been discussing with X team. And if 2 of them can make it, Mayfield might go as well along with other picks/prospects to fetch another top-6 forward."

Also, Ladd and Clutter have resumed skating. They still can have a long way to go to get back into playing shape but the assumptions/hope that either/both would be on LTIR for most of the season may not come to fruition.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Not sure if mentioned anywhere. Say it's not true that the Rags have 13 national games next season on NBC or NBCSN while our playoff team Islanders have only 2 scheduled and both are NBCSN night games at Barclays . I hate those Dirty Rags .

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Not sure if mentioned anywhere. Say it's not true that the Rags have 13 national games next season on NBC or NBCSN while our playoff team Islanders have only 2 scheduled and both are NBCSN night games at Barclays . I hate those Dirty Rags .

It's true but the rangers will have zero playoff games shown on TV while the Islanders are chasing the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad