Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I would LOVE to sign Laine and get Semin. In his prime he was over a point a game without a negative season. I think his negatives were unfairly exaggerated because he didn't become the best player in the league like some thought he should. His teams didn't fail to win because of him, they were otherwise flawed.

Exactly, everyone remembers the 30 year old Semin - the guy was beast for like 8 seasons in the NHL when he came into the league at 22. Laine scored 40+ goals when he was 19!

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
On the other side of the coin, what if Laine is another Alexander Semin? He was supremely talented and he could wire the puck, had serious compete questions though and that never went away.
I 110% acknowledge that, to my stance on Laine; there wiil be every reason for there to be a stance to the contrary.

I am just more on the side of the juice is worth the squeeze with Laine.

Reactions: PWJunior

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Supposedly Columbus has been the most aggressive in pursuing Marner on an offer sheet.
If I’m Toronto and Columbus sends a 4 first-round pick offersheet my way, I say “see-ya” to Marner.

All that cap space and a decent chance at least one of those picks is high

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If I’m Toronto and Columbus sends a 4 first-round pick offersheet my way, I say “see-ya” to Marner.

All that cap space and a decent chance at least one of those picks is high

Columbus with Marner would be a very good team -

You don't let Marner walk away

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I say give him 4 years, screws Toronto because that will bring him to UFA status

Giving him 4 years sets another bad precedent and then we're looking at Barzal wanting 4 years next offseason.

As much as I hope Toronto gets screwed, we are in the path of collateral damage. I was already resigned to Barzal getting 5 years, going 4 years would suck.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Man, **** that punk. He's not McDavid. 12.5 mil a year and in 4 years he can do the same **** again? Whoever is telling this kid what to do is delusional and a grade A *******. What's worse is that he is listening!

It's Paul Marner and Ferris that are driving all the contract talk.

Mitch seems to be just enjoying the summer.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
They would?

I don’t know about that

Seth Jones and Zack Werenski top pairing d men with Murray and Savard rounding out top 4.

PDL, Atkinson, Josh Anderson, Nyquist, Jenner and Marner is a very good top 6 with Foligno, Bjorkstrand, and Dubinsky rounding out top 9 not to mention Wennberg and young F's Texier and Foudy soon to come-

Yeah they'd be good

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Seth Jones and Zack Werenski top pairing d men with Murray and Savard rounding out top 4.

PDL, Atkinson, Josh Anderson, Nyquist, Jenner and Marner is a very good top 6 with Foligno, Bjorkstrand, and Dubinsky rounding out top 9 not to mention Wennberg and young F's Texier and Foudy soon to come-

Yeah they'd be good
You mean, besides the fact they have a shopping cart in net, they’d be good.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah they'd be good
They were a wild card team with Panarin and Bobrovsky and Dzingle and Duchene. You lose all 4 of them, replace Panarin with Marner (a lateral move, give or take) and they’re a good team?

Not to mention the fact that, other than them and the Islanders (who i’d argue saw no meaningful change either for the worse or better thus far this offseason), every team in the Metro got at least somewhat better.

Not buying it, but we can agree to disagree

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Man, **** that punk. He's not McDavid. 12.5 mil a year and in 4 years he can do the same **** again? Whoever is telling this kid what to do is delusional and a grade A *******. What's worse is that he is listening!

Holy mackerel. If he's asking too much, he can sit. Both sides can use their leverage. Taking it personally (especially when he's not on your team) is bizarre.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You mean, besides the fact they have a shopping cart in net, they’d be good.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention their #1 prospect and one of the best goalies not playing in the NHL - GK Elvis Merzlikins

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For those who don't want to look at stats...Well here's some stats for you.

This well broken down post below colors in some of why I wouldn't be excited to give up good assets and a big contract for Laine...

That Laine's defensive impact is...yikes. Given the relatively limited role of wingers in team defense, it's pretty rare for one to have much impact either way, but Laine and Stone are my go-to examples for wingers who are bad/good enough at it, respectively, to really make a difference. And Winnipeg is more dangerous offensively when he's on the bench, too (2nd set of charts I just added).

Or, another way to try to look at his individual impact on the team:
2018-19:
Screen-Shot-2019-07-12-at-4-38-58-PM.png

2017-18:
Screen-Shot-2019-07-12-at-4-39-16-PM.png

Everything he does besides shoot the puck makes Winnipeg a worse team when he's on the ice.

Reactions: PWJunior

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
There's a big difference between inconsistent players not living up to their potential, and guys who score 30+ goals doing it. The key is to figure out exactly why he's inconsistent, determine if it's fixable, and most importantly, use that inconsistency to lower the contract value.

No, no. He doesn't "give 100%" every night.

Whatever the f*** that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad