Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Yep, I’m pretty convinced we are done this offseason. Very disappointing and weird offseason, if this is it. Resigned our players and switched goalies, time will tell if it was for worse or better. But, we didn’t improve our offense at all and that was our big need.
It feels like it’ll be the same old Islander approach. Call up a young kid, hope he becomes a stud and yada yada. Don’t get me wrong, I think Dobson has elite written all over him but I also believe at this point, you gotta call up someone. It has to be done. I don’t believe any fantasy dream offersheets will happen and I don’t believe a trade is coming, unless we are playing good hockey at the deadline. The only possible trade I could potentially see happening is something involving Leddy. But, I’m not getting my hopes up. The Panarin fiasco really was the dagger for me. It felt so real and obtainable. Mackenzie really was the one who got me all worked up.

Either way, we have Trotz who will make sure this team doesn’t suck completely but honestly? If we go into this season with pretty much the same team, I do expect us to struggle a bit and not be as good.

I feel your post.

My hopes of upgrading are fading, but I remind myself that with arbitration dates set- we'll see more teams signing their own and that might mean further complications for teams in Cap Hell like, the Flames, the Jets, and the Hawks to some degree.

Vegas is still in trouble even without signing Gusev, placing Clarkson LTIR, and going with a 22 man roster. The team still needs to add two D men and are currently o ver the Cap.

As much criticism as Dubas has gotten- he was able to sign Johnsson, Kapanen , all his RFAs not named Marner, allowing him to play out this RFA situation at his time table.

The Jets are a different scenario - I believe Connor gets resigned before Laine and whatever Connor gets will give the league a clearer picture Of what is happening in Winnipeg. The Jets have less than 18 million earmarked for Copp, Connor, and Laine that would give them about 2 million to sign 2 more F's. If Connor comes in at 7 and Copp at 2.5 - Could 9 Aav be the tipping point for the Jets?

The Flames have Rittich, Bennett, and Tkachuk to sign long term. Bennett should get somewhere around 2.5 Aav, Rittich the same, leaving only 5.5 Aav left for Tkachuk. Flames will have to make a move and clearing out salary will not be easy. Derek Ryan could be a target or maybe even Sam Bennett. Frolik could be the easiest to move, clearing up space.

The Montreal situation - the main team that would benefit from a Gardiner signing or a Leddy trade. I am not buying that the Canadiens are done this offseason and the last remaining top free agent is Gardiner. So what is the hold up? My guess is that Gardiner wants 7 Aav - Yandle and Myers $. I believe the Isles picture will be clearer once Gardiner signs. If he signs with Montreal, then Leddy stays another season. If he signs with another team, then Montreal and Isles could make a deal for Leddy. I would prefer Danault or Drouin - both are unlikely due to the lack of depth at C and The backlash Bergevin would get after trading Sergachyev for Drouin only to flip him for Leddy. This leads to the much talked about Tatar-Leddy swap on these boards. Does this move the needle?

Edmonton and the Jesse Pulijaarvi situation. I think Jesse is a worthwhile gamble here and unfortunately for Holland and the Oilers Jesse is either going to be traded or go to europe. He is not going to get #1 or a top prospect. Another struggling former high pick could be the get here - the Nylander-Jokiharju deal is a good example of what to expect - Dal Colle for Jesse? Ho-Sang? A 2nd in 2020 maybe?

VGK - Cap Crunch and Gusev.
McPhee is not getting #1 or a top prospect for Gusev, who is looking for Dadanov $ and that might have been possible if he was UFA, so my guess would be he gets closer to 3 than 4 from an acquiring team. There is also their cap situation that could mean further ramifications like possibly moving Eakin with a cheaper C option coming in via free agency.

Hawks will also be in a bit of cap hell, but not sure I'd be an advocate of acquiring Saad and/or Anisimov for future prospects and picks.

Finally, eyes on Brassard and Boyle who are the clear candidates for the 3C. Boyle says he is weighing options, my guess is that decision will come shortly. I doubt he will let it drag more into the summer if indeed he has offers.

Brassard might also be waiting for a better offer- I doubt he gets more than 1 year deal at this point.

There are still things that can happen this summer and especially as we get closer to August.

Lou has been quoted before that if he is time, then he will use it. Patience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad