Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Never trust a guy who gets alot of points on a bad team, even less when he gets traded to a good team and his production dramatically decreases

He actually had 12 points with Columbus which is the same amount of points Duchene had with them in more games

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I never get why Islanders never tested Bailey out at Center

New York Islanders: The Josh Bailey Move to Center

“It didn’t come to this because Brock Nelson was able to play in Tuesday night’s 3-1 win at Arizona after taking defenseman Ian Cole’s knee just above his own knee and missing the third period of Monday night’s 4-1 win at Colorado. But here was Trotz’s contingency plan: Move Josh Bailey from Matthew Barzal’s right wing to Nelson’s spot between Anders Lee and Jordan Eberle, elevate Leo Komarov to Barzal’s line and insert Tom Kuhnhackl back on the third line.”

Well we would've been just ecstatic to see Leo on Barzals wing ... Obviously Trotz feels Bailey can be an effective centermen, so I wouldn't rule the possibility out , especially if Ho-Sang makes the team, then you go...

Lee-Nelson-Ho-Sang
Beau-Bailey-Leo

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So...Leddy + Wahlstrom + for Laine?

It doesn’t seem like that marriage will last long.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
We need a play driver that can elevate the play of Bailey, Nelson, Lee, etc. Another Barzal that can drive the bus.

Laine has wicked shot and that's about it.

That’s what we need. An elite shooter. We have no shooters. We skate around and pass and pass and pass. We need a selfish shooter who will finish.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Some Summertime Thoughts
  1. We should all be rooting for Ho-Sang, seriously - objectively speaking he is the 2nd most talented forward in the organization after Barzal, he has already proven he can drive possession and execute zone entries at will, i'm not saying count your eggs before they hatch, simply stating that Ho-Sang on the Islanders makes them a better team, his skating, stickhandling and playmaking ability is only second to Barzal and I believe if on a line with Nelson & Lee, he puts up 10G 45A over the course of the season.

I honestly believe that most of us are pulling for Ho Sang more than he's pulling for himself.

If all of a sudden Ho-Sang became a complete professional, played totally within Trotz's system, and gave 100% on every shift...Find me the person who wouldn't be totally thrilled and I'll show you someone who isn't a true Islander fan.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
So...Leddy + Wahlstrom + for Laine?

It doesn’t seem like that marriage will last long.[/QUOTE
Leddy straight up,no +++,maybe some slight retention,its getting like all these players in other teams are allstars,and we have garbage,enough! We had a 103 pt.team last season,and went further than the Peg,are you a closet make believe fan,sheesh!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I honestly believe that most of us are pulling for Ho Sang more than he's pulling for himself.

If all of a sudden Ho-Sang became a complete professional, played totally within Trotz's system, and gave 100% on every shift...Find me the person who wouldn't be totally thrilled and I'll show you someone who isn't a true Islander fan.
Agreed....this is sort of the two foot putt of the off season. We should be rooting for JHS to succeed? Well, yeah. We'll all be pretty happy if he turns out to be a possession driving, scoring chance creating, top 6 right wing we have been praying for. There's a few other things I'm rooting for....Varlamov eclipsing Lehner's season from last year, my wife hiring a hot Brazilian au pair, Lee scoring 50 goals, etc.

Kinda goes without saying that I'm rooting for all those things to happen. Whether I think they're realistic, is a different story.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I would stay far away from Laine.

Disagree. Barzal is used to playing with wingers who literally bring nothing to his line in terms of puck movement and defense (Lee and beau). Only difference is neither of those guys can score like Laine. They’d be money

He’s pretty much the exact player we need right now.

We need a play driver that can elevate the play of Bailey, Nelson, Lee, etc. Another Barzal that can drive the bus.

So often to me it feels like fans fall in love with the "name" instead of the actual player. Laine is a "name" player because he was the #2 overall pick who can score at an elite level. That said he is such a flawed hockey player and maybe the worst flaw of all...That he totally disappears when he's not scoring.

In the cap era each team only gets to hand out 3 or 4 huge contracts, and I would never give up one of them to a guy who disappears in stretches and often looks disinterested in being out there.

You want an elite contract then you have to be elite every night.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
So often to me it feels like fans fall in love with the "name" instead of the actual player. Laine is a "name" player because he was the #2 overall pick who can score at an elite level. That said he is such a flawed hockey player and maybe the worst flaw of all...That he totally disappears when he's not scoring.

In the cap era each team only gets to hand out 3 or 4 huge contracts, and I would never give up one of them to a guy who disappears in stretches and often looks disinterested in being out there.

This!

Reactions: Poster Unknown

broncs918

Mar 26, 2009
So pretty much set on this is the team we will put on the ice,Everyone is gone and we resign and add nothing...disappointing!

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I'm not saying that we couldn't use another Barzal....of course, what team couldn't use that? But if there was one thing this team was missing, it would be a forward who can shoot the puck. I can't say I know everything about Laine - what makes him tick, why he had a bit of a down year last year - but assuming he's not truly damaged goods and there's good reason to think he's the player he's always been, I would give up a lot to add that guy. He seems to exactly what we need. At least one of the things we need. Whether its on Barzy's wing or on his own line.

Bailey - Barzal - Laine
Lee - Nelson - Eberle

I'll take that.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Leddy straight up,no +++,maybe some slight retention,its getting like all these players in other teams are allstars,and we have garbage,enough! We had a 103 pt.team last season,and went further than the Peg,are you a closet make believe fan,sheesh!

Can you make your stuff more readable?

Reactions: bstash19

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

Laine just turned 21, there is still so much more room for him to grow. Ironically enough, it was Trotz that helped get Ovi to play more of a two way game.

Sometimes it takes the right coach to get players to reach their potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad