Status
Not open for further replies.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Continue here

Last post from previous thread:

Panarin is to the Islanders as say Machado/Harper is to the Mets.

Difference here, is at least the Isles went after Panarin. I think the Mets are worse now. Neither franchise gets their guy, but seemingly, the Mets don't even go after them. At least the NYI tried to sign the big FA's the last 2 years.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Who knows if the Islanders were truly in on Panarin, or if geographically is what had us even in the mix.

In turn, the whole at least we were in or at least we tried. I'm sure a lot of teams tried, but he turned those teams down. Again, who knows if we would would have been in the fold had we not been in NY.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's interesting that Gardiner is unsigned, and that's bad news for NYI. Until the value on him is established, the value of Nick Leddy is in limbo. While they're pretty similar players, Gardiner costs only money and no assets, and is better on the PP.

Consider how much it might cost to trade for one of the Jets' scoring wingers - Connors or Ehlers. IMO Leddy would only constitute *half* the package. There would have to be a really significant add. Like maybe Leddy + Wahlstrom, or Leddy + Mayfield + 2020 2nd.

I don't know if that's something the Jets would be interested in, but they're pretty imbalanced. They've got 2 good defensemen (Morrissey and Byuglien). Poolman looks like the real deal (under the radar guy not unlike our Toews), but there are questions about his shoulders. The rest of them - Kulikov, Pionk, Baulieu - are depth guys at best. We've seen them all in their Eastern Conference days.

(BTW this is in relation to the idea that WPG may have trouble signing their RFA wingers. I think the trade route is better than the RFA route with the offer-sheet the unspoken threat.)

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
In association with Anders Lee Day:

Nice.

You know, I get a good feeling about Lee. Doubt that we will ever question his work ethic, even if he were unhappy about something. The guy is a leader.

We have great goalie coaches, and could use the best skating coach, too. Turn him into a gazelle on skates, and we will all be smiling. :D

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I believe it’s our trade anniversary, I think it’s a year ago today that
We made a deal for Martin. We are the ONLY team that has not made a deal in a year.

So when I hear we should trade this or that it better happen today
Or we will need to wait another year Lol

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It's interesting that Gardiner is unsigned, and that's bad news for NYI. Until the value on him is established, the value of Nick Leddy is in limbo. While they're pretty similar players, Gardiner costs only money and no assets, and is better on the PP.

Consider how much it might cost to trade for one of the Jets' scoring wingers - Connors or Ehlers. IMO Leddy would only constitute *half* the package. There would have to be a really significant add. Like maybe Leddy + Wahlstrom, or Leddy + Mayfield + 2020 2nd.

I don't know if that's something the Jets would be interested in, but they're pretty imbalanced. They've got 2 good defensemen (Morrissey and Byuglien). Poolman looks like the real deal (under the radar guy not unlike our Toews), but there are questions about his shoulders. The rest of them - Kulikov, Pionk, Baulieu - are depth guys at best. We've seen them all in their Eastern Conference days.

(BTW this is in relation to the idea that WPG may have trouble signing their RFA wingers. I think the trade route is better than the RFA route with the offer-sheet the unspoken threat.)

Ehlers' value will have taken a fair drop after the last half of the season he had.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

You're vastly overrating Ehlers or Connor if you think those two offers are necessary. If the Jets really want Leddy it will be a sign and trade scenario for either, with us adding AT MOST a Ho-Sang or Dal Colle.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Nice.

You know, I get a good feeling about Lee. Doubt that we will ever question his work ethic, even if he were unhappy about something. The guy is a leader.

We have great goalie coaches, and could use the best skating coach, too. Turn him into a gazelle on skates, and we will all be smiling. :D

A gazelle? He's closer to the Walrus in the GEICO commercial.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You're vastly overrating Ehlers or Connor if you think those two offers are necessary. If the Jets really want Leddy it will be a sign and trade scenario for either, with us adding AT MOST a Ho-Sang or Dal Colle.

That's ridiculous. Connor has scored over 30 goals in each of his first two full years and is under control for 4 more. Ehlers had a bad year, but is a great player with tenacity, explosive speed, and a great shot under control for 6 years. These guys are worth a ton. I mean, jfc, imagine Ehlers and Barzal. That would scare the living daylight out of opposing D's.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
That's ridiculous. Connor has scored over 30 goals in each of his first two full years and is under control for 4 more. Ehlers had a bad year, but is a great player with tenacity, explosive speed, and a great shot under control for 6 years. These guys are worth a ton. I mean, jfc, imagine Ehlers and Barzal. That would scare the living daylight out of opposing D's.

Cost control when offer sheets are available is not a given at the moment.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Continue here

Last post from previous thread:

My God, comparing the Islanders now to the Mets is the biggest overreaction on this board.

Let's take a look at both organizations....

Mets;
Ownership - LMAO. After Dolan with the Knicks, I don't think there are worse owners in all of American Sports
GM- brodie van wagenen: zero GM experience. Made outrageous trades in off-season that have been disastrous
Manager: Mickey Callaway - Way over his head. No idea how to handle a lineup or bullpen. Managing in the NL without knowing what a double-switch is. Has lost his team countless games

Islanders
Owners: Seem to be fully committed sparing no cost. Went out and hired one of the best GMs in NHL history. Committed to new arena in Belmont
GM - LL. Hard to find someone with a better resume and more experience to turn a sinking ship around
Coach - Barry Trotz, one of the most respected coaches in the league coming off a Stanley Cup win. Turned a lineup that everyone (including us fans) figured would finish bottom 5 in the league in to serious playoff contender. Seems to have developed a system and identity for Isles team. Coached young talent that have taken a huge step in development.

Enough with this comparison.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Cost control when offer sheets are available is not a given at the moment.

Which is why you talk to the player (Connor) first to figure out what they want before you make the trade, which is what any team doing their due diligence would do. Come on, man. Successful offer sheets don't happen for many reasons.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Enough with this comparison.

The Mets have been set up with so much talent to go on an extended run. They didn't need to go for it this year. The Cano trade is going to haunt them for a decade. Kelenic is 19 years old in high-A playing CF. :ha:

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
The Mets have been set up with so much talent to go on an extended run. They didn't need to go for it this year. The Cano trade is going to haunt them for a decade.

You could live with Cano if the Mets acted like a major club with no budget and Diaz actually proved to be a top closer in the league.

None of this is true.

Reactions: dano16

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Mets have been set up with so much talent to go on an extended run. They didn't need to go for it this year. The Cano trade is going to haunt them for a decade. Kelenic is 19 years old in high-A playing CF. :ha:

Up until last night though he had been struggling since he got promoted. Notice how for weeks you heard nothing about him. He was down to .235 with a low 700 OPS. Til he starts hitting consistently in AA I’m not sold on him

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The other team (beside the Jets) that IMO need a trade are the Lightning. They're like the 1978 Islanders over there. They need that catalyst to make their chemistry right. They need their Butch. That said, I don't know who that is, but I don't think NYI have him.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Up until last night though he had been struggling since he got promoted. Notice how for weeks you heard nothing about him. He was down to .235 with a low 700 OPS. Til he starts hitting consistently in AA I’m not sold on him

He's a 19 y/o hitter playing against players 2.5-3 years older! What do you expect? :laugh:

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I am starting to think that Lou, similarly to Snow never has a backup plan. We cannot say that he has not tried to get the biggest free agent on the market each of the last two years, this was not a marketing ploy, he legitimately tried to get Tavares and Panarin here. The problem is he failed both times, for whatever reason does not matter, but he failed in the pursuit. The answer to that happening is not just to say oh well I guess there is always next year. You have to be creative and find other ways. Sometimes maybe two 6 million dollar players might even be better than one 12 million dollar player. But either way, you have to find other ways to improve the team. As others have said on here, this is not a situation where there have been no trades around the league. There has even been an offersheet, not to mention us being the only NHL team not to make a trade in the last 12 months. Lou has to show he has a pulse and a plan, rather than just going home for the summer after he doesnt get the first target. I am not convinced he can do this. Hopefully I am wrong.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The other team (beside the Jets) that IMO need a trade are the Lightning. They're like the 1978 Islanders over there. They need that catalyst to make their chemistry right. They need their Butch. That said, I don't know who that is, but I don't think NYI have him.

I have family in Tampa and go there to visit frequently. About a year ago, I got into a conversation with a retiree who worked construction in Chicago and NY and was a big hockey fan. He pulls for Tampa, when they weren't playing his Blackhawks, and he thought they needed Anders Lee.

He was very knowledgeable about the Isles and Lee (obviously a big hockey fan if he is even watching Isles games, lol) and mentioned that the Lightning could use someone with his size in front of the net and leadership in the locker room.

I thought that was interesting. Personally, I assume they need someone like Lee, but a bit more of a mean streak.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

You’re both vastly underrating Connor/Ehlers and overrating Dal Colle/Ho-Sang.

The former are established top six forwards and the latter were drafted 5 years ago and neither are full time NHLers.

Connor/Ehlers would instantly become the team’s second best forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad