Official (Former) NATIONAL CHAMPS!! BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS Thread

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
UMass (Amherst), not Lowell--they play a set against Lowell coming up. And Lowell is for real this year--BU barely beat them in the HE championship last year and they pretty much return that same roster.

The Bonino injury will hurt--they need guys to step up offensively. With him out, there will be no one from last year's top 6 in the lineup.

I'm curious if you guys see BU as a contender this year. This team reminds me of the Badgers after they won the title: defense was intact, but lost the best defenseman, Tom Gilbert and Matt Gilroy respectively, goalie position returns intact (not sure if Milan will duplicate what Brian Elliot did, but he does steal some games) and the top offensive producers bailed.

Wisco started out ranked #1 after the title year which I thought was ridiculous. I'd like to hear the insider input about where the Terriers stand after huge losses and using up some serious playoff karma to the tune of 3 game winners bouncing off opposing d-men in last years playoffs. That was a wild run!

What's the story on Bonnino anyway? Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm curious if you guys see BU as a contender this year. This team reminds me of the Badgers after they won the title: defense was intact, but lost the best defenseman, Tom Gilbert and Matt Gilroy respectively, goalie position returns intact (not sure if Milan will duplicate what Brian Elliot did, but he does steal some games) and the top offensive producers bailed.

Wisco started out ranked #1 after the title year which I thought was ridiculous. I'd like to hear the insider input about where the Terriers stand after huge losses and using up some serious playoff karma to the tune of 3 game winners bouncing off opposing d-men in last years playoffs. That was a wild run!

It's probably going to take them until midseason to find their stride (which wouldn't be terribly unusual for BU)--I expect that by the Beanpot they'll again be right in the thick of things. They should be able to make the tournament--and as we learned last year, strange things can happen if you make it. The sophomores (Connolly, Trivino, Saponari) have to step their games up though. Part of the issue is finding lines that click.

(and only Wilson/Strait "bailed", the rest aside from Bonino were seniors)

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004

I don't think so, they lost so many guys from last year.

If you look at this year's team, I'm still not totally sold on the Colby-Shatty pairing (just too many mistakes defensively) and I think Warsofsky could be exposed defensively with bigger minutes. Escobedo and especially Nicastro have looked solid, but they aren't going to step into Gilroy's and Strait's shoes right away.

Then you have an offense that while decent, is nowhere near last year's. There's a lot of pressure on Connolly and Trivino to step up and on Cohen to develop into more of a scorer along with Sapo and then Chiasson is coming straight in and being asked to play 2nd line minutes.

I think it's a team with a lot of heart, Shatty, Cohen, Popko, Cohen, Perreira, and Bonino have been around for a while and they know what it takes to win, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Well, we suck this year, but Gryba scored last night, I've waited over 3 years for that, really good game with UVM, ended up being a 3-3 tie. Millan seems to have played his way out of the starter's spot, but Rollheiser is pretty bad too, so good times all around.

Just hoping we can beat BC.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It is hard to stay on top in any athletic area, especially on the college level. Thanks for winning the NCAA championship last season, it was a thrilling ending! Also thanks for Wilson coming to Milwaukee for awhile. I will see him in person tomorrow. Go BU!

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Parker trashes Mass Hockey

Parker ripped Mass hockey in the Boston Globe on Sunday. Basically said that the talent from Mass fell off the face of the earth over the last three recruiting classes.

Mass hockeys decline will really hurt the fortunes of teams like BU and BC this year and next, as they are forced to go into less friendly areas to recruit. Use to be that BU & BC fought over the absolute top Mass recruits. UNH and UMaine would get the occasional blue chipper, NHL player out of Mass, but with the decline in Mass talent there isn't that much to fight over now.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Well, into the Hockey East semis, although it looks like BU's only shot at defending the championship rests on winning the next two games.

BU vs Maine
Vermont vs BC

Perhaps we're in store for another BU/BC matchup in the Garden.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Hey guys, it's a bummer to see BU's season end as they finally turned it around at the end of the year. I was just wondering if any of you had heard about Shattenkirk and Cohen returning or signing with the Avs?

Thanks everyone!

ChicoEats

Formerly Ziggyluc
Mar 1, 2007
I'm starting my freshman year at BU this coming September. What should I know about this team? Any great blogs to follow? Any suggested places to watch the games?

Thank You!

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Two huge recruiting wins in the past week.

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog
http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/

The Boston Hockey Blog
http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

GoTerriers.com
HockeyEastOnline.com
USCHO.com

Speaking of those blogs, I read the Terrier Hockey post on Chiasson and unless he has had a huge change of heart he didn't seem very enthusiastic or committed to staying 4 years. Considering how well he did last year, I find it hard to believe that he is now less likely to leave early.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Both Saponari brothers kicked off the team, Trivino suspended.
This says more to me that the "alcohol related incident" cited in the story. We'll likely never know though.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-h...DismissesSaponariBrothersSuspendsTrivino.html

No big loss with the Saponaris. Hated watching them, very lazy players. Based on how they play it doesn't shock me that they party it up. Their hearts never seemed in it (I say their, but I only remember Vinny playing, to be fair)

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Speaking of those blogs, I read the Terrier Hockey post on Chiasson and unless he has had a huge change of heart he didn't seem very enthusiastic or committed to staying 4 years. Considering how well he did last year, I find it hard to believe that he is now less likely to leave early.

The Hockey News Yearbook with prospect rankings for each NHL team is out and sophomore Alex Chiasson was ranked fifth in the Dallas Stars organization. Writing for ESPN/Dallas, Mark Stepneski comments:

"Alex Chiasson, RW (2009 Draft/2nd round, 38th overall): He’s got good size (6-4, 195 pounds) and is still filling out. I liked what I saw from him at the development camp in Frisco this summer. He moves well for his size and he has a nice skill set. He had a good freshman season at Boston University, and should be in a position to build on that this season. He’s a long-term project since he’s expected to play four years of college"

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
It's been a few months since BC won the National Championship at Ford Field in Detroit. Shouldn't this thread title be edited to either "BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS" of Former National Champs !! Boston University Terriers?

ChicoEats

Formerly Ziggyluc
Mar 1, 2007
After a weak first period, BU ended up destroying University of Toronto in an exhibition game 9-3. Charlie Coyle got a hat trick and looked very good.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I caught the BU/Harvard game on Saturday night and thought I'd throw out a few observations.

First, Harvard ....oh boy, where to begin! Aside from Alex Killorn, the team isn't scoring, which is probably an understatement. Defense looked awfully shaky and their shots, for the most part, were WAY off target. Which may all partially explain why they're giving Colgate a run for their money for the ECAC basement.

Now BU...

I've actually seen the Terriers numerous times already and IMO, I didn't think this was one of their better outings, even though they won. Coyle and Chiasson continue to be the two players that I've been most impressed with. I like the fact that Matt Nieto has picked up his game and contributing, even if he doesn't always get on the scoresheet. Wade Megan is another player that has grown on me as well. Works hard and scores the "dirty" goals. Nothing fancy, but makes his hard work pay off.

And how about Justin Courtnall finally getting his first collegiate goal? :handclap:

The one thing that has bothered me about the team has been the disciplinary stuff. You'd think that they'd some how be able to put all of this extra-curricular stuff behind them following the Saponari Brothers fiasco from last season. Glass gets booted off the team (is anyone here who follows BU hockey at all surprised???) and Nicastro had to sit out of Saturday's game due to taking that horrible misconduct penalty vs. UVM.

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
Bringing back BU thread from the dead. This school is plagued by fairweather fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad