Official (Former) NATIONAL CHAMPS!! BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS Thread

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
If Cohen and/or the Avalanche is smart, they'll leave him in Boston for another year. Actually the guy I'd be most concerned about leaving early from a developmental standpoint is Strait, he's the most pro-ready guy.

I really think with Strait, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Warsofsky, and Gryba all returning though, that this team could still be a contender next season. When 5/6 of possibly the best defensive corps ever assembled in college hockey are returning...well, you've still got one helluva defensive corps.

Yeah, I think the Avs will keep him and Shat at BU, they both could stand to learn a bit more and eliminate the basic mistakes from their game.

I'm not sure what more Strait has to learn tbh, he seems like he should jump, but I don't think he will.

I agree with what you said about becoming more defensive minded, Kieran played incredibly well this year and we got a lot of the D coming back.

The offense might be an issue, but with Bonino, Connolly, Trivino, and Saponari, they might have something to build on and Z. Cohen, Popko, and Perreira should be a killer 3rd line.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Congrats to BU.Best team all year and they proved it yesterday with a dramatic come from behind win.That's what championship teams do and they did it.

might2mash

Post-apocalyptic
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend
The offense might be an issue, but with Bonino, Connolly, Trivino, and Saponari, they might have something to build on and Z. Cohen, Popko, and Perreira should be a killer 3rd line.

I think we'll see Zach off of Popko's line next year. With 5 of the top 6 gone, and Jack's unwillingness (and probably with good reason next year) to put freshmen in the top six right away, Zach Cohen could easily be on the 2nd line next year, he's a goal scorer that has become excellent along the boards and around the crease.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Well one thing is for certain - Jack has made no secret that he's coming back for another year. He's just not ready to call it career just yet, despite some of the rumors that circulated after the National Championship game that he might finally retire.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think we'll see Zach off of Popko's line next year. With 5 of the top 6 gone, and Jack's unwillingness (and probably with good reason next year) to put freshmen in the top six right away, Zach Cohen could easily be on the 2nd line next year, he's a goal scorer that has become excellent along the boards and around the crease.

I agree somewhat. I think Connolly-Trivino-Saponari will stay together, and Cohen will move to the line with Bonino (which I don't know I'd call the "2nd line"). Who the other wing will be though I have no idea. Perreira/K. Gilroy/Glass/Saponari the Elder are the non-freshman choices...

I think the fact the Cohen was used as an extra attacker in the Miami game (which paid off) shows what Parker thinks of him as an offensive player.

=====

Strait and Shattenkirk are co-caps next year. Pretty obvious choice in this season's alternate Strait, and Shattenkirk has been captain at the NTDP and alternate at the WJCs for Team USA.

might2mash

Post-apocalyptic
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend
I agree somewhat. I think Connolly-Trivino-Saponari will stay together, and Cohen will move to the line with Bonino (which I don't know I'd call the "2nd line"). Who the other wing will be though I have no idea. Perreira/K. Gilroy/Glass/Saponari the Elder are the non-freshman choices...

I think the fact the Cohen was used as an extra attacker in the Miami game (which paid off) shows what Parker thinks of him as an offensive player.

=====

Strait and Shattenkirk are co-caps next year. Pretty obvious choice in this season's alternate Strait, and Shattenkirk has been captain at the NTDP and alternate at the WJCs for Team USA.

I think that Vinny is going to have to be on the top line, he's now the best RW the team has, so unfortunately the current freshmen will be broken up. Glass or Chiasson could be the right winger for them.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
This is probably old news by now and I'm sure the folks over on the Bruins board have already reported this, but I'll post it here anyway. Jason Lawrence signed a PTO with the baby Bruins yesterday HERE is the link.

Nice to see Jason getting some love from the pros. :) During his four years at BU, he was always one of my fave Terriers, so it's good to see him moving on.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
This is probably old news by now and I'm sure the folks over on the Bruins board have already reported this, but I'll post it here anyway. Jason Lawrence signed a PTO with the baby Bruins yesterday HERE is the link.

Nice to see Jason getting some love from the pros. :) During his four years at BU, he was always one of my fave Terriers, so it's good to see him moving on.

If only it wasn't the baby Bruins...:shakehead

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Strait goes pro, signs with Pittsburgh :(

Can't blame him, he has nothing left to learn or prove at this level.

So the defense looks like
Shattenkirk-Cohen
Gryba-Warsofsky
Nicastro-Ruikka/Rosen

Still not bad.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Escobedo will come in this season to replace Strait.

Shattenkirk-Cohen
Gryba-Warsofsky
Nicastro-Escobedo

Shattenkirk will wear the C, Gryba and Bonino get A's.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Escobedo will come in this season to replace Strait.

Shattenkirk-Cohen
Gryba-Warsofsky
Nicastro-Escobedo

Shattenkirk will wear the C, Gryba and Bonino get A's.
No way will they pair two freshman together. I'm sure they will break up Gryba-Warsofsky.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
One of the big news stories from earlier this week was out of BU.

For those that haven't seen it yet, David Quinn has left the team and been named as Lake Erie's (AHL) new head coach. Quinn had been mentioned as one of the candidates for the UNO job before Dean Blais landed it. Quinn's name had also been mentioned for several other coaches opening both inside and outside of the college hockey community, so this shouldn't come as a complete surprise to those who follow BU closely.

I personally will miss him. He was one of my favorite assistant/associate head coaches and he's also a darn good recruiter too. BU's loss is certainly Lake Erie's gain and I wish him nothing but the best.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
One of the big news stories from earlier this week was out of BU.

For those that haven't seen it yet, David Quinn has left the team and been named as Lake Erie's (AHL) new head coach. Quinn had been mentioned as one of the candidates for the UNO job before Dean Blais landed it. Quinn's name had also been mentioned for several other coaches opening both inside and outside of the college hockey community, so this shouldn't come as a complete surprise to those who follow BU closely.

I personally will miss him. He was one of my favorite assistant/associate head coaches and he's also a darn good recruiter too. BU's loss is certainly Lake Erie's gain and I wish him nothing but the best.

Quinn deserves the opportunity, he's done a great job at BU. Kind of fitting he's going to Lake Erie--he could end up coaching Yip (who I'm kinda surprised hasn't inked a deal yet, although I guess he's still got 1.5 months), Shattenkirk, Cohen, and Millan while with the Monsters in the coming years.

Honu

Oct 31, 2007
Other news: Ben Rosen from the South Shore Kings (EJHL) will be joining the team. He was originally set to go to Brown but decommitted in March.

Dru2318

Aug 3, 2009
I think that Vinny is going to have to be on the top line, he's now the best RW the team has, so unfortunately the current freshmen will be broken up. Glass or Chiasson could be the right winger for them.
I think Saponari goes on the top line with Bonino and Connolly. Chiasson sounds like he may be legit enough to play in the top 6, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing with Trivino and Cohen/Glass. I hope Parker has a plan for 4th line center though because I think Connolly plays much better on the wing than in the middle.

Dru2318

Aug 3, 2009
No way will they pair two freshman together. I'm sure they will break up Gryba-Warsofsky.
You're probably right that he will break up Warsofsky and Gryba to play with the freshmen at first, but I bet he'll put them back together as soon as he feels they can handle it. That's how he went about it with Cohen Shattenkirk during their first year.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
09-10 Schedule is out: http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/sched/bost-m-hockey-sched.html

Non-conference opponents:

Home: Notre Dame, Michigan, RPI
Away: Harvard
Neutral: Cornell (MSG--Red Hot Hockey), Beanpot (Northeastern, BC/Harvard)

2 fewer non-conference games than last year.
Aside from the Beanpot, no other mid-season tournaments this year.

Slug, you've gotta be totally excited about the BC game at Fenway though! That place is going to be jumping come January.

Honu

Oct 31, 2007
Rumor that I hope is false: Ryan Ruikka tore his ACl and is out for the year...again. This kid can't buy a break. :(

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Terriers TV Schedule:

For all you Terriers fans out there....

Oct. 20 vs. Notre Dame (ESPNU)
Nov. 21 vs. New Hampshire (NESN)
Dec. 11 vs. Rensselaer (NESN)
Jan. 2 vs. Massachusetts (ESPNU)
Jan. 8 vs. Boston College - Frozen Fenway (NESN)
Jan. 15 at Providence (NESN)
Jan. 22 at Boston College (NESN)
Jan. 23 vs. New Hampshire (NESN)
Feb. 1 vs. Northeastern - Beanpot (NESN)
Feb. 8 Beanpot Championship Game (NESN)
Feb. 12 vs. Maine (NESN)
Feb. 26 at Vermont (NESN)
Feb. 28 at Vermont (ESPNU)

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Team doesn't appear to have much offense this year unfortunately. They do generate some chances, but Bonino might be the only legit finisher the team has, but Connolly and Trivino failed to cash in on breakaways against UND.

Still though, the defense looks solid (Nicastro and Escobedo have both been good) and it's a young team, so hopefully they'll mesh together well.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
I'm scared about this game tonight. They lost to a scrub in Lowell, a good team in Notre Dame 3-0, and now they're playing Michigan. Maybe Chiasson will turn out to be a phenom and carry the offense (oh god I hope so).

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
I'm scared about this game tonight. They lost to a scrub in Lowell, a good team in Notre Dame 3-0, and now they're playing Michigan. Maybe Chiasson will turn out to be a phenom and carry the offense (oh god I hope so).

Awesome game as it turned out, really chippy and Millan was huge in net before Hogan blew it for Michigan, nice 3-2 win.

Bonino dislocated his shoulder though.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

UMass (Amherst), not Lowell--they play a set against Lowell coming up. And Lowell is for real this year--BU barely beat them in the HE championship last year and they pretty much return that same roster.

The Bonino injury will hurt--they need guys to step up offensively. With him out, there will be no one from last year's top 6 in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad