Official (Former) NATIONAL CHAMPS!! BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS Thread

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Great come-from-behind win for the Terriers. I saw this game and even though UMass looked good in the first period, BU showed why they're the top ranked team in the country - they found a way to win. Six unanswered goals - are you kiddin' me?!

BTW, how about that last goal that Lawrence scored to complete his HT, was that a thing of beauty or what?

One weakness of Millan's that the Minutemen exposed early was shooting high on him. Did you guys noticed that all three of their goals were of the high/top-shelf variety? If BU expects to beat potential opponents like Notre Dame and Denver later in the NCAA tournament (assuming all three teams do get in, and I'm guessing they all will), Millan will have to fix that quickly if they expect to bring home the big prize. You know, that trophy that those....ummm.....guys up at the Heights brought back last April?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
OC, I didn't see the game last night, so I'll just have to take your word for it. :) But I've got confidence Millan will play well enough in the postseason.

Great win tonight, spanking UMass at Agganis. But Idiot UMass-Lowell couldn't even take a point from NU, now we have to hope BC can do that and I have zero confidence they can do that. Meh, I suppose the regular season crown isn't really that meaningful anyways, but it would be nice to have.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Hey BU fans, just wondering how Gryba looks. I have not had the chance to see him play, I know he's reputed as playing a rough stay at home game but can you give me any more info? Is he playing well?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Hey BU fans, just wondering how Gryba looks. I have not had the chance to see him play, I know he's reputed as playing a rough stay at home game but can you give me any more info? Is he playing well?

Well, his play has certainly been smarter than it was for much of last year when he was taking way too many boneheaded penalties.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, Gryba has made leaps and bounds especially if you compare him to freshman year and is a cult hero among BU fans.

Dunno if I really see an NHL future for him though, he's still pretty slow and ungainly even though he can really lay guys out and has improved his puckhandling/passing a lot.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Hockey East all rookie team is out. Kieran Millan (obviously) selected in net, and Chris Connolly makes it at forward.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Wilson and Gilroy are Hobey Baker finalists. Great to see Gilroy get some love, it's so easy to take everything he brings to the team for granted.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Hey, I'm 90% (money :/) going to BU next year. I have been trying to volunteer with the hockey team. I was wondering if anyone here has done it or knows what it is like?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I had a friend who worked for the arena, but as for volunteering with the team I really don't know much. Sorry. :(

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Hey, I'm 90% (money :/) going to BU next year. I have been trying to volunteer with the hockey team. I was wondering if anyone here has done it or knows what it is like?

Your best bet is working at the arena itself for events.

Last edited:

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004

Yeah, I'd say your best bet is just working at Agganis, I have a couple friends that do it.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks for the help, guys!

Also, what['s the view on getting names on jerseys? It seems a little weird to have a classmate's name on the back of your shirt (especially if you somehow stumble across them wearing the jersey...lol), is it normal or do most just get a blank?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Also, what['s the view on getting names on jerseys? It seems a little weird to have a classmate's name on the back of your shirt (especially if you somehow stumble across them wearing the jersey...lol), is it normal or do most just get a blank?

Personally I prefer the blanks because of the high turnover--at most you're getting a jersey of a guy who plays 4 seasons.

===

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/2009/04/10/ffsemi2_notes/

According to Parker, if Boston gets the 2010 Winter Classic, it's "70-30" that BU-BC could be part of the festivities at Fenway.

Now that would just be awesome. :handclap:

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Most people just get the blank on the jersey.

And BU-BC at Fenway would be incredible!

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.

Its against NCAA regulations to get the name of an active player on the back of a jersey. You could have it done after the fact, but no retailer that sells the jersey and does customization would do it for you.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Not to take focus off of your epic win but how many BU players won't be returning next season?

We'll be losing Gilroy on D, and up front 5 of our top 6 forwards (Higgins, Lawrence, McCarthy, Yip are seniors, Wilson should sign with Nashville), as well as Smolinsky (who played on the fourth line since Perreira was out with a spleen injury, but was normally a healthy scratch).

Assuming Shattenkirk, Strait, and Bonino stay for another year, which they should.

So it looks like we're going to be back to a defensive-oriented team next year. Millan, and 5/6 on the blueline returning means we should be able to play tight defensive hockey next year (which is no stranger to Jack Parker coached teams...see 06-07 with Curry in net). Plus our all-freshman line of Connolly-Trivino-Saponari should be able to produce some more offense as sophomores next year, and our fourth line of Cohen-Popko-Perreira will be returning as well.

We won't be as dominant a team, but I've still got to like our chances of getting back to the tournament next year--we'll just be winning more 3-2 games instead of 7-2. And as this year has shown, once you're in the tourney...it's anyone's game.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Cohen wanted to leave after last year, so we'll see if he's back.

Both him and Shatty have a lot of room for improvement though, they both have defensive lapses a little too often.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Congrats to BU. They certainly seized their opportunities.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Cohen wanted to leave after last year, so we'll see if he's back.

Both him and Shatty have a lot of room for improvement though, they both have defensive lapses a little too often.

If Cohen and/or the Avalanche is smart, they'll leave him in Boston for another year. Actually the guy I'd be most concerned about leaving early from a developmental standpoint is Strait, he's the most pro-ready guy.

I really think with Strait, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Warsofsky, and Gryba all returning though, that this team could still be a contender next season. When 5/6 of possibly the best defensive corps ever assembled in college hockey are returning...well, you've still got one helluva defensive corps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad