Official (Former) NATIONAL CHAMPS!! BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS Thread

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
A little OT but what is the perception of Rick DiPietro among BU faithful? I mention him quite a bit in one of my essays, and don't want to find out that he is hated after I submit it :).

PlantersOye

Dec 30, 2008
Out of curiousity-- is BU or BC a better hockey team? and why is there a Boston University and a Boston College in Boston? May sound obvious, but just wanted to ask. PM me the answer is preferred.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Out of curiousity-- is BU or BC a better hockey team?

That depends on what you call better and who you ask. Both have excellent programs and have traditional been two of the top programs in the country that have sent many, many players on to the pro ranks, including the NHL.

and why is there a Boston University and a Boston College in Boston?
Let me see if I can explain this in the simplest terms.

BU came first (read that accredited as a university). They became what we now know as Boston University back in 1863.

BC, if I'm not mistaken, grew from/out of Boston College High School (which BTW still exists). They were accredited as a university in the 1920's. Boston College is one of about a half dozen Jesuit schools with D-I hockey programs.

Both schools are located within a short distance of one another on opposite ends of Commonwealth Avenue. BC is situation in an area known as Chestnut Hill (or as the locals and those in the know call it "The Heights").

PlantersOye

Dec 30, 2008
That depends on what you call better and who you ask. Both have excellent programs and have traditional been two of the top programs in the country that have sent many, many players on to the pro ranks, including the NHL.

Let me see if I can explain this in the simplest terms.

BU came first (read that accredited as a university). They became what we now know as Boston University back in 1863.

BC, if I'm not mistaken, grew from/out of Boston College High School (which BTW still exists). They were accredited as a university in the 1920's. Boston College is one of about a half dozen Jesuit schools with D-I hockey programs.

Both schools are located within a short distance of one another on opposite ends of Commonwealth Avenue. BC is situation in an area known as Chestnut Hill (or as the locals and those in the know call it "The Heights").
Well, thanks for clearing that up. I knew that they both schools have excellent academics and sports (I'm looking into BC for Business), but wanted to know which school has a more consistent hockey team and/or win more against one another.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
BU with a beatdown of BC last night at Agganis, very solid win. It's a real relief to have a competent goalie.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
A huge win for sure. New Hampshire this weekend, another set of big games in Hockey East. 4 points behind Northeastern. Hopefully we can rattle off a few wins here and go into the Beanpot with a full head of steam.

The best part about the goaltending this year is that even if Millan isn't playing and Rollheiser is in net, they're both getting the job done. Couldn't say that about last season. And it doesn't hurt that the offense is on fire.

Wilson, Gilroy, and Yip Hobey finalists. Wilson and Gilroy have been absolute beasts.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Well I hope he plays better against NU on Monday than he did against Harvard last Monday. I remember seeing the Terriers against NU back in November, and IMO that was probably the best game I've seen him so far (and I've seen BU about a half dozen times already).

Yeah, not one of his best outings. But hopefully a lot of that was just nerves playing in his first Beanpot game which he'll be over, and hopefully the Terriers won't sleepwalk through a period and give him a lead to protect early.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
He certainly had potential and was the better goaltender for us last year, but he did not get the job done when we needed him to. Inconsistent.

Even being inconsistent was he not good enough to be the backup? The Badger faithful are curious as to why the rug was pulled out from under him rather than letting him develop. Is there more to the story?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Even being inconsistent was he not good enough to be the backup? The Badger faithful are curious as to why the rug was pulled out from under him rather than letting him develop. Is there more to the story?

These were Coach Parker's comments shortly before he was released:

"I thought there were times when Bennett looked like he was gonna get to a point where he was coming along," Parker said in an interview last month. "He looked better, a little more relaxed and a little more confident.

"But at the same time, I still don't think we got great goaltending in the second semester. We were not happy with the goaltending all year. It was a little bit better, and we got by with what we got. Benny got better as the season progressed, but there was a lot of pressure on him when Gillespie went out. A whole bunch of things added up to the fact that it got better, but still wasn't good enough."

BU's student newspaper article: http://www.dailyfreepress.com/2.5469/1.581255

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Enjoy the Bennett nightmare, I can't even describe how awful it was last year going to Agganis and seeing some of this.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Enjoy the Bennett nightmare, I can't even describe how awful it was last year going to Agganis and seeing some of this.

He is putting up decent numbers in the USHL with the Indiana Ice (21-10-2, 2.57 GAA and a .914 save %.) A second chance might do well for him. If he tanks I'm not too worried. He'll just ride the pine behind Gudmundson.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Hey Slug:

Did you see tonight's (Friday) game? BU lit up Maine for 7 goals and four separate fights breaking out? Are you kidding me? This must've been one heckuva wingding! So let's have the details.

Speaking of a great BU-Maine wingding, remember the game about 5 years ago when it was a great goaltending battle between Sean Fields and Jimmy Howard and BU won 1-0? It was that game that had that huge brawl that broke out with about 30 seconds left in regulation. I remember Ryan Whitney dropping the mitts with Prestin Ryan (or was it Jon Jankus? I don't quite remember). The game featured something like 324 combined penalties. Remember that one?

I just love these BU-Maine matches. Definitely no love lost between these two.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Did you see tonight's (Friday) game? BU lit up Maine for 7 goals and four separate fights breaking out? Are you kidding me? This must've been one heckuva wingding! So let's have the details.

Speaking of a great BU-Maine wingding, remember the game about 5 years ago when it was a great goaltending battle between Sean Fields and Jimmy Howard and BU won 1-0? It was that game that had that huge brawl that broke out with about 30 seconds left in regulation. I remember Ryan Whitney dropping the mitts with Prestin Ryan (or was it Jon Jankus? I don't quite remember). The game featured something like 324 combined penalties. Remember that one?

I just love these BU-Maine matches. Definitely no love lost between these two.

Huge game for Colin Wilson, who scored 16 seconds into the first, 11 seconds into the second and 90 seconds into the third. And 13-3 on faceoffs. Now second in NCAA scoring.

http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/2009/02/wilson-scores-early-and-often-in-7-2.html

rickya13dot

Dec 11, 2006
If BU can win out against UMass and Providence they will win the HE regular season crown. No way does Northeastern take 4 points against UMass Lowell, and as poorly as they are playing, BC.

Let's go Terriers.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If BU can win out against UMass and Providence they will win the HE regular season crown. No way does Northeastern take 4 points against UMass Lowell, and as poorly as they are playing, BC.

Let's go Terriers.

That's the way I see it. Having the tiebreak against NU from that win at Agganis in November means we only need to tie them on points, and Lowell is playing some great hockey.

We can't take for granted our two opponents though, both of them beat us earlier in the season. Hopefully we'll come out of this weekend tied/in the lead.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Gained no ground tonight. NU with a 3-0 win over UML, while we come back from an early 3-0 defecit on a pair from Matt Gilroy (who also had a pair of assists) and a natural hat trick from Lawrence for a 6-3 win. (WTF Millan...3 GA in the first 20:55 of the game, including one with a minute left in the first and another a minute into the second? Getting chased in the second, Rollheiser comes in...). Nice to see the seniors take control after going down 3 though.

Meh. 2 points is 2 points We did clinch home-ice in the first round on account of our win and Lowell's loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad