Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I gave nobody bad advise. You just have some serious problem with how I spend less on iPhones and actually own them then re-sell them for more than what you get when you "trade in" yours paying half it off and never owning it. I put all the math up there a few posts ago. I am sorry if that is hard for you to understand. Instead you look at the bargain bin from Hong Kong and act like iPhones are so easy to get on the cheap. I am sure some people get lucky on ebay or other places but there would be no market to re-sell phones and it to actually be worth it if leasing a phone, paying for half of it then trading it in was some obvious best practice.

Like I said and keep saying though, that works for some people. I never once said that was a bad way of doing it. I said it doesn't work for me. And you have some serious issue with that for some reason. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings hawkfan but chill dude. Some people put in the extra effort to not waste money and own their devices.

You seriously need to take a level out and stop being so aggressive towards me. I have no problem with how you spend your money but you seem to be really offended at how I don't do what you do and seem to not spend nearly as much on iPhones as you do (and I own them). Maybe you are just mad that I am happy with how I spend my money and don't care how you spend yours or something? I don't know.

P.S. I sold my iPhone 7 plus 32GB on Ebay two days ago for $550. Its was in perfect condition and I have 100% positive feedback, fast shipping. Meaning I spent a grand total of $120 (cost was $670) to own that phone for a year. Look at reputable sellers NOT selling junk from Hong Kong. They are going for between $500-$600 depending on carrier / unlocked for the 32GB models in like new / new condition. And you spent what? $350-ish to lease one for a year?

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Ha...Apple outsold Samsung in Q3. This is all while consumers were waiting on the X to be released.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It's because Apple doesn't manufacture their own panels. They have to buy them from Samsung (they literally have no other option, for this year at least). They could buy their old panels for as low as $45, while their OLED screen is speculated to cost about $145 a panel. Samsung has zero reason to give them a hefty discount either, as OLED production can't keep up with demand. It's possible Apple is paying the most for OLED panels among any smartphone manufacturer.

I'm the first one to criticize Apple pricing schemes, but honestly, it's likely they're making less of a profit on iPhone X than they will on the iPhone 8 and 8+. In fact, I'd say it's almost certainly the case. I don't want to come across from defending Apple, they're way late to the party when it comes to adopting OLED, and I think MacBook's are the some of the most overpriced products on the market. But they could have realistically priced the X $100-200 more and they'd probably sell the exact same amount.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/07/iphone-x-costs-357-50-usd-make-higher-margin-iphone-8-analyst/

$65.50 for the panel.
And...
"While the iPhone X’s parts cost 25 percent more than the iPhone 8, the device is 43 percent more expensive, bumping up the profitability of Apple’s most premium offering. The iPhone 8, which retails for $699 USD ($929 CAD), has a gross margin of 59 percent, the iPhone X has a gross margin of 64 percent."

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/07/iphone-x-costs-357-50-usd-make-higher-margin-iphone-8-analyst/

$65.50 for the panel.
And...
"While the iPhone X’s parts cost 25 percent more than the iPhone 8, the device is 43 percent more expensive, bumping up the profitability of Apple’s most premium offering. The iPhone 8, which retails for $699 USD ($929 CAD), has a gross margin of 59 percent, the iPhone X has a gross margin of 64 percent."

I don’t trust that teardown. They have no idea what Apple pays Samsung and $65.50 is way out of line of previous estimates. I would never be shocked at Apple gouging customers but the figure for the screen seems way off.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Looks like the X is MUCH more fragile than the 8 if we are to believe drop test video's.

Also read that Apples profit margin is much higher with the X. Basically doesnt cost $3-400 more to make the X but they charge $3-400 more. Dont remember the details.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Looks like the X is MUCH more fragile than the 8 if we are to believe drop test video's.

Also read that Apples profit margin is much higher with the X. Basically doesnt cost $3-400 more to make the X but they charge $3-400 more. Dont remember the details.
Ya, seems that having no case is a big risk, with tests showing the screen cracking from as little as 3 ft off the ground.

Reactions: Lancer

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
X plus would be huge. I guess the size of the plus now but all screen. The X is almost too big for me.

Agreed. I messed around with the Note 8 (I assume it would be a similar size) last night in an AT&T store and it was like holding an iPad Mini. Too big.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Anecdotal but I've had this issue on Samsung before, where all of my brother's could unlock it. To hear that there could be a similar issue with the iPhone is pretty surprising. Could be rare but still

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Anecdotal but I've had this issue on Samsung before, where all of my brother's could unlock it. To hear that there could be a similar issue with the iPhone is pretty surprising. Could be rare but still

jmo but all these security worries with the X are unfounded. Every review I’ve read/watched says it works better than any facial identification that came before it. Eye can criticize Apple for a lot of things, even not being to type a capital eye (lol), but face ID seems solid.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Apparently the 7's are outselling the 8's. Like, by a ton. Watch out for big deals on the 8 either right before, or right after Christmas. If the deal is good enough, I might just get an 8+ instead of the X.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Apparently the 7's are outselling the 8's. Like, by a ton. Watch out for big deals on the 8 either right before, or right after Christmas. If the deal is good enough, I might just get an 8+ instead of the X.

I find it weird that in addition to the 8 Series and the X, Apple is still selling the 7 series, SE series, AND the 6S series. I wonder if they'll just liquidate the 6S series stock. Carrier deals on the 8 Series are great, but I think those of us buying outright are out of luck.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I find it weird that in addition to the 8 Series and the X, Apple is still selling the 7 series, SE series, AND the 6S series. I wonder if they'll just liquidate the 6S series stock. Carrier deals on the 8 Series are great, but I think those of us buying outright are out of luck.
I think it's a good substitute for selling lower end models the way other manufacturers do but apple never has. I think it's smart. Keep the wide price range but avoid fragmentation.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think they should update the SE eventually, at least with 7 internals.

This is probably the final year of selling the 6s.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I think they should update the SE eventually, at least with 7 internals.

This is probably the final year of selling the 6s.

That's like the 5... right for $350.00 new? I think it's a good idea to keep those phones around as well, I just hope the OS is holding strong with updates. At some point just don't allow big updates for those phones so they don't all messed up.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I might let my sister try it this weekend but Face Id has been great so far. It has worked seamlessly for me, even with hats and sunglasses on. The only report I've read is too much sunlight/UV could interfere. Have not had many sunny days the past week though.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That's like the 5... right for $350.00 new? I think it's a good idea to keep those phones around as well, I just hope the OS is holding strong with updates. At some point just don't allow big updates for those phones so they don't all messed up.
Body of a 5/5s with the internals of a 6s atm.

They should keep that style of phone around for those that like smaller phones, and maybe even add an X version of it for a higher price with an LCD panel instead of OLED.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
jmo but all these security worries with the X are unfounded. Every review I’ve read/watched says it works better than any facial identification that came before it. Eye can criticize Apple for a lot of things, even not being to type a capital eye (lol), but face ID seems solid.

I mean, the entire security process is for one to maybe two reasons. If you lose your phone or I guess have somebody you live with that has trust issues? I have never lost my phone so the security unlock is much more about ease of use. The feature does give you peace of mind. So far Face ID is the fastest method to unlock your phone ever.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I mean, the entire security process is for one to maybe two reasons. If you lose your phone or I guess have somebody you live with that has trust issues? I have never lost my phone so the security unlock is much more about ease of use. The feature does give you peace of mind. So far Face ID is the fastest method to unlock your phone ever.

?
If I grab my 8+ out of my pocket with my thumb on the home button its unlocked before I am even looking at it.

If its on my desk I just put my finger on it and don't have to look right at it or hold it.

I don't see how that's faster. Fingerprint login is instant and you don't have to hold the phone a certain way or even at all or look at it a certain way.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
So far, just about every review I've read is really positive for the X. May sway my decision unless there's a can't miss offer on the 8+. Though I'm still going to wait until next year.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yup. iOS 11 has killed my phone. I’ve had to force restart it because it gets frozen more times in the past week than I have ever in my life with any other iPhone going back to the iPhone 4. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad