Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
?
If I grab my 8+ out of my pocket with my thumb on the home button its unlocked before I am even looking at it.

If its on my desk I just put my finger on it and don't have to look right at it or hold it.

I don't see how that's faster. Fingerprint login is instant and you don't have to hold the phone a certain way or even at all or look at it a certain way.

Have you tried both for a period of time, I have and maybe just the phone is faster. The fingerprint log on while good was not always consistent. It also got gummed up easily or sometimes just wouldn't read. Don't have that issue anymore with a simple swipe up and it's done. I thought I wouldn't like it for the reasons listed but it hasn't been the case. I don't have to position my hand anymore to deal with it but I do have to look at it but don't think you need it right in your face either. It can be on the couch beside me or on my lap.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yup. iOS 11 has killed my phone. I’ve had to force restart it because it gets frozen more times in the past week than I have ever in my life with any other iPhone going back to the iPhone 4. It is absolutely ridiculous.

OS 11 has been a disaster. My 7 was rebooted several times per day. My sister's 8 is glitchy too, the only thing I have right now with the X is the damn i auto correct. Have yet to download 11.1.1

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Have you tried both for a period of time, I have and maybe just the phone is faster. The fingerprint log on while good was not always consistent. It also got gummed up easily or sometimes just wouldn't read. Don't have that issue anymore with a simple swipe up and it's done. I thought I wouldn't like it for the reasons listed but it hasn't been the case. I don't have to position my hand anymore to deal with it but I do have to look at it but don't think you need it right in your face either. It can be on the couch beside me or on my lap.
Lol what did you do to your phone thet gummed it up? Never heard of that and know nobody with thst issue. Never had a problem with it reading my fingerprint.

Still can unlock it in my pocket. Which I do a lot.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Lol what did you do to your phone thet gummed it up? Never heard of that and know nobody with thst issue. Never had a problem with it reading my fingerprint.

Still can unlock it in my pocket. Which I do a lot.

Happened to me all the time, you do know there is oil on your fingerprints. What's the point of unlocking a phone in your pocket?? Typically my 7 did not unlock until the raise motion was completed.

I'm stating to me the X is much easier to deal with in terms of unlocking. Maybe when you spend time with both you'll understand, I'm providing an opinion based on using both. You have not spent time with the X so how would you know?

Just like I sold my 6 Plus for $550+ lol

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Happened to me all the time, you do know there is oil on your fingerprints. What's the point of unlocking a phone in your pocket?? Typically my 7 did not unlock until the raise motion was completed.

I'm stating to me the X is much easier to deal with in terms of unlocking. Maybe when you spend time with both you'll understand, I'm providing an opinion based on using both. You have not spent time with the X so how would you know?

Just like I sold my 6 Plus for $550+ lol
Wow. You are just one of those people huh? Apple says jump and you say "how high?" You were probably talking about how amazing fingerprint was when it first came out and now you have to trash it and make stuff up to justify paying the crap ton of extra $ you paid for face ID.

You said the unlocking is faster... thats been proven false by so many reviewers. Especially if you unlock when pulling out of pocket or on your desk. Don't need to own one to know that. Thats all I was saying and you freak out and start talking about how your fingerprint sensor eas always gummed up or some crap haha. Dude you must have some really greasy fingers.

I don't think you are supposed to eat BBQ'd ribs and then play with your iphone every day without wiping your hands LOL!

Literally know nobody with that issue or ever had that issue. If your excuse to justify spending the money for the X and being forced to hold your phone a certain way and look at it to unlock it is "greasy fingers" then all I can I tell you is maybe you should have carried around some wet naps.

And give it up about how I spend less money and actually OWN my iPhones. That must really make you mad. Lots of things really make you mad here. All you want to do is whine and complain about how your way isn't the best way of doing things. Then you feel like you have to trash previous gen and current gen iPhones just to make yourself feel more secure about spending so much money on your X. Why not just be happy with what you have and how you do things instead of feeling like you always have to argue and justify your purchases?

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Coming from the old Samsung fingerprint scanners and unlock passwords, I find both the Apple fingerprint scanner and the Face ID scanner are fine. The thing that annoys me is that phones have gone to this 18:9 screen ratio. To me, 16:9 is ideal, and filling that forehead and chin with “useable” screen doesn’t make the phone any more useable. I wanted a 16:9 screen phone with little/no bezels. But I guess tall screens unsuitable for one-hand use are what everyone wants?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Wow. You are just one of those people huh? Apple says jump and you say "how high?" You were probably talking about how amazing fingerprint was when it first came out and now you have to trash it and make stuff up to justify paying the crap ton of extra $ you paid for face ID.

You said the unlocking is faster... thats been proven false by so many reviewers. Especially if you unlock when pulling out of pocket or on your desk. Don't need to own one to know that. Thats all I was saying and you freak out and start talking about how your fingerprint sensor eas always gummed up or some crap haha. Dude you must have some really greasy fingers.

The iPhone X’s Face ID is only slower if you use it the wrong way

Face ID on iPhone X is just as fast, if not faster, than Touch ID

Don’t Treat Face ID as an Extra Step

Pretty much if you think Face ID is not as fast as Touch ID -- you basically are not using it right, which is what a lot of reviewers found out after first talking bout Touch ID being faster.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Pretty much if you think Face ID is not as fast as Touch ID -- you basically are not using it right, which is what a lot of reviewers found out after first talking bout Touch ID being faster.
I think you miss the point I was making... You don't have to hold the phone a certain way or look at it a certain way to unlock it.

From the time you decide you need to unlock your phone to the time it's unlocked - Fingerprint is faster. If were talking about how fast the phone reads your face and unlocks it vs how fast it reads your fingerprint and unlocks it, it's marginal and just about instant on both. Like your articles say, it's just as fast... if done correctly.

What I am saying is my phone is on my desk or in my pocket. I can unlock it noticeably faster because I don't have to look at it to unlock it. AKA, you can get into your phone faster once you decide you want to use your phone.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not that this means a thing, but I have yet to see the X being used outside of an AT&T store. Of course they're selling, just haven't seen any.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Face ID seems faster than Touch ID if you're opening up a notification from the lock screen.
If you're simply accessing the home screen, Touch ID is faster than raising the phone to your face while looking directly at the scanner, then swiping up from the bottom of the screen.

"You're not using it right" is Apple condescension for "we changed something, now you need to change your way of interacting with it". It's always fun to see who carries the derogatory language forward. It says a lot about the speaker.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Not that this means a thing, but I have yet to see the X being used outside of an AT&T store. Of course they're selling, just haven't seen any.

If I'm to guess, production is lower than demand, but demand isn't very high either. Order time is 3-4 weeks, and iPhone X's listed on Kijiji are only $100 more than the retail cost. No real scalping going on. Maybe customers are holding on their phones longer.

Or perhaps people are holding off until they can try the phone out in person before committing. I'm actually quite surprised how much I liked the phone hands-on, it does so many things right. Monster battery, BT 5.0, 256 GB storage, killer cameras.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
iOS 11.1.1 has made my 6 Plus so much smoother. I’m genuinely impressed.

I have had no problems with 11.1.1 on my 6s Plus. I had many problems on iOS 11.0.

——-

I got the iPad Pro 10.5” the other day and it’s an amazing product. Much better than the Air 2 it replaced. I was so impressed I went out and got a used Magic Keyboard and I’m planning to bring it to school on days I don’t need the entire MacBook.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
"You're not using it right" is Apple condescension for "we changed something, now you need to change your way of interacting with it". It's always fun to see who carries the derogatory language forward. It says a lot about the speaker.

None of those articles were from Apple.

It's a simple swipe up and it seems to authenticate faster than touch .

That is what the articles clearly say....

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I read your post. Now reread mine and see none of my articles were from Apple or people throwing spears.
They’re from Apple fan bloggers, tweeters and posters who are really trying to justify their purchase. That’s who is carrying the language forward. I apologize for surmising that you didn’t need it spelled out. All good?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So my Iphone X was suppose to arrive on Dec 2nd and it came 3 days ago :D

The screen is f***ing GORGEOUS. It's so crystal clear. Oh and the new "quick start" to transfer everything from your old phone to the new phone was such a time saver.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
So my Iphone X was suppose to arrive on Dec 2nd and it came 3 days ago :D

The screen is ****ing GORGEOUS. It's so crystal clear. Oh and the new "quick start" to transfer everything from your old phone to the new phone was such a time saver.

Wow. So 3-5 weeks delivery date is ending up being 1-3 weeks? That's awesome for customers. Must be a combination of lower than expected demand and higher than expected supply.

The screen is apparently better quality than the Samsung S8 in most areas except peak brightness and resolution. Finally Apple catches up to the competition on the standard-sized phone displays. Kinda disappointing that it took several years of disappointing resolution screens on the 6/6S/7/8 to get to a Full HD screen on a standard iPhone, but I guess it's not that big of a deal to most people.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Apparently the 7's are outselling the 8's. Like, by a ton. Watch out for big deals on the 8 either right before, or right after Christmas. If the deal is good enough, I might just get an 8+ instead of the X.

And here come those deals. A couple days ago, it was $200-$300 off an 8 with a good trade-in. Yesterday, I saw that the S8 is a BOGO deal with T-Mobile and my first thought was that the 8's will be right around the corner. Sure enough, AT&T now has BOGO on the 8's. If I can strike a deal with the +, I might just do that. Though, the deals will keep getting better from here.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm wondering if anyone else has had these situations with their iPhone's before. I thought on my 8 Plus and on my Dad's 8 there was a problem with the Wi-Fi when using it at public locations like restaurants, because I noticed it said unsecured network. Plus on my Dad's 8 the Wi-Fi wouldn't work on his at our house, even though it worked fine on my 8 Plus. It turns out I was kind of wrong about that. So I made a Genius Bar appointment for them last Friday because I couldn't find the answer online. Prior to that and to be on the safe side I went to backup our phones, however it didn't work. On mine it said there was not enough storage and on his it just said the backup failed. Anyway long story short the Apple Genius told us mine didn't work because it still showed my 6s backup which was weird since it got erased when I got my 8 Plus because they took my 6s and will most likely re-sell it as a refurbished model. On my Dad's he was told to logout and log back into with his Apple ID in the settings which worked. Plus that also fixed the Wi-Fi issue at our house. So has anyone ever heard of this before?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad