Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm proud to say that I'm now officially an owner of an iPhone 8 Plus. I got the Apple Store when they opened at 9:30 AM and the service was great when going through my phone plan with Bell and everything else. Now there was a minor problem with my Apple ID password because I had to reset it twice with a new password so the iCloud backup would work for all my pictures and apps. However that finally got fixed. As for the phone itself so far it's great. The one thing I need to get use to is pressing the home button so I can type in my 4 digit password when unlocking it, although I'm sure I will get use to that.
Congrats!
Use the thumbprint scanner though.
Settings > Touch ID & Password
I’d save both thumbprints and pointer fingerprints for ease of use.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Really hoping the iPhone upgrade program comes to Canada within the next year and a half (when I decide to upgrade). The idea of paying no subsidy and going through Apple only sounds so pleasant — along with upgrading yearly.

The big three will probably fight to the death to not let it in though.

I’ve heard from apple employees I am friends with that Touch ID is being abandoned completely.

I disagree with it, especially if they can get it to work under the glass, but that is what I e heard

Maybe. It’s secure and works well enough that all the banks are going ahead with Apple Pay working with FaceID authentication. I do want the fingerprint scanner back if they can get it under the screen though.

Just read an article that a screen fix on the X without Apple care will be $275.00 o_O

My question with the cases and bumpers out there, is the wireless charging going to work.

Yes.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Anyone else having bug issues with High Sierra? I've been in the Apple ecosystem with both a laptop and iPhone for over 5 years now, and this is the first time I remember both the iOS and macOS software being so horribly buggy at the same time. High Sierra and iOS 11 have actually been the buggiest versions of each platform for me independently as well. It's been a bizarre experience.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Ended up passing.. will wait on X+ or whatever they end of calling it.

My 7+ is doing just fine and with the prices getting crazier and crazier I think people like myself will be holding onto their phones for longer and longer.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Ended up passing.. will wait on X+ or whatever they end of calling it.

My 7+ is doing just fine and with the prices getting crazier and crazier I think people like myself will be holding onto their phones for longer and longer.

Same here - my 6 Plus is hilariously slow, but whatever! It’s a phone.

And it makes it way easier to justify a X Plus next year. Especially if Apple does as suspected and drops the X by $150 and slots the X Plus at the same price point as the X debuted at this year.

Reactions: CPTN71

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Anyone else having bug issues with High Sierra? I've been in the Apple ecosystem with both a laptop and iPhone for over 5 years now, and this is the first time I remember both the iOS and macOS software being so horribly buggy at the same time. High Sierra and iOS 11 have actually been the buggiest versions of each platform for me independently as well. It's been a bizarre experience.

I think every update Apple released this Fall is a disaster. My fricken watch is slow too. I have some confidence one of these updates will correct most issues.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I've just resigned myself to iOS 11 being like iOS 7 and being remembered for the bugs more than anything else. I don't think it's going to get much better until iOS 12 unfortunately.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I've been swayed by the reviews and want the iPhone X. I won't get it since I'm still under contract and don't want to pay out the ass, but I think I'll definitely grab next year's iteration.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
If you do that new iPhone every year don't you have to trade in your old iPhone and there has to be no damage to it or something? Isn't that kind of like just giving lots of money for an iPhone and never actually owning one?

If that's the case, what if you want to own your iPhone? Do you have to pay for it then?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I think every update Apple released this Fall is a disaster. My fricken watch is slow too. I have some confidence one of these updates will correct most issues.
I've had issues with my Series 2 watch too... Definitely a lot slower/kinda laggy since I updated it to Watch OS 4.

As I was typing this I checked for another update and found 4.1 --- we'll see if this fixes anything regarding the sudden lag I've experienced since updating to 4.0

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
If you do that new iPhone every year don't you have to in your old iPhone and there has to be no damage to it or something? Isn't that kind of like just giving lots of money for an iPhone and never actually owning one?

If that's the case, what if you want to own your iPhone? Do you have to pay for it then?

You pay for half of it and give it back and your phone cannot be damaged where it's obvious. When you had a contract you paid for it but typically over two years. If you want to own you can buy it out right, $700 to $1,200 but obviously you take a hit with resale. I can't keep a phone for two years, I use it too much and the battery starts to suck. It's not like they charge you interest so why buy it out right unless you want to take it out of the country or something.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I've been swayed by the reviews and want the iPhone X. I won't get it since I'm still under contract and don't want to pay out the ass, but I think I'll definitely grab next year's iteration.

I think it will be better without the cutout. Reviews have been good, some aps have not been updated for the cutout. Face scanner is working good and excellent in dark, some issues with sunlight... kind of the opposite of what some expected. Why do I see a bunch of people at a baseball game cupping their hand over the top. lol. They need to get the fingerprint sensor under the screen next year.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You pay for half of it and give it back and your phone cannot be damaged where it's obvious. When you had a contract you paid for it but typically over two years. If you want to own you can buy it out right, $700 to $1,200 but obviously you take a hit with resale. I can't keep a phone for two years, I use it too much and the battery starts to suck. It's not like they charge you interest so why buy it out right unless you want to take it out of the country or something.
I always purchase my phones outright. Just got my new 8 plus yesterday actually. I could care less about face recognition and I like having a home button. The X does look good though. Anyways, I just have a problem giving hundreds of dollars towards something and never actually owning it. So its basically pay for half of an iPhone and not own it but you can use it for a year... seems silly to me e but I can see why others like it. Just not for me.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I always purchase my phones outright. Just got my new 8 plus yesterday actually. I could care less about face recognition and I like having a home button. The X does look good though. Anyways, I just have a problem giving hundreds of dollars towards something and never actually owning it. So its basically pay for half of an iPhone and not own it but you can use it for a year... seems silly to me e but I can see why others like it. Just not for me.

But if you purchased it and sold it after a year what would you get back? Maybe half if you're lucky? I don't see much of a difference unless you keep your phone for 2+ years. It's more like a lease and everyone's situation is a bit different.

Like on my current 7 I owe now a year later $330 or something if I want to buy it out. If I do I could sell it for just about that price but where? After Ebay transaction fees it's pretty much a wash. I don't like dealing with Craiglist.... ect.

So basically by buying it all it once you are giving all your money up front instead of paying over time with no interest and limiting your options.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
But if you purchased it and sold it after a year what would you get back? Maybe half if you're lucky? I don't see much of a difference unless you keep your phone for 2+ years. It's more like a lease and everyone's situation is a bit different.

Like on my current 7 I owe now a year later $330 or something if I want to buy it out. If I do I could sell it for just about that price but where? After Ebay transaction fees it's pretty much a wash. I don't like dealing with Craiglist.... ect.

So basically by buying it all it once you are giving all your money up front instead of paying over time with no interest and limiting your options.
I keep my phones as a backup, sell them or pass them on to family member's who don't normally care about having the latest and greatest. I have also kept a phone for more than 2 years, it's nice to have tha option. Different strokes for different folks. It makes zero sense for me to pay for something I will never own and you don't have the means or want to ever actually own your devices. Neither is the wrong way to do it, depends on each persons situation.

What gets me though is if you break your device or something malfunctions its up to you to fix it right? Because it has to be in working order to "return" it once you get a new one right? You spend over what its worth or pay more than half and you still don't own it when you return it. So if that were to happen you really can end up in a hole. I am sure you take care of your stuff though but there are people out there that are probably getting worked over with these deals.

Trust me, they wouldn't basically sell half a phone to someone and give them a new one all the time if they weren't making money somehow. Those "next" or "edge" or 'iPhone forever" or whatever they want to call it plans basically mean you will constantly be giving them money and never own your device (but you are responsible for keeping it in perfect condition). Just seems wrong to me and doesn't fit how I handle my older devices.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Oh they are always making money. lol. But if you did the installment you still own it, you just don't pay them up front for the cost of it. Would you rather give someone $800 now or over two years for something? Yeah you can't trade in a broken phone but..... if you bought an X for $1100 and break it what do you have? I don't get the question. I have insurance for this very reason. If something goes wrong with it other than a broken screen you are always within the warranty with Apple so no, it's not on you.

Think of this way, you pay $1,100 for the X. What is it worth on the resale market in 1 year? It's so close it's not worth it to buy it out and resell it. Tech products are always depreciating assets... and rather quickly. You're taking a 50% hit about the 1st year you own it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Same here - my 6 Plus is hilariously slow, but whatever! It’s a phone.

And it makes it way easier to justify a X Plus next year. Especially if Apple does as suspected and drops the X by $150 and slots the X Plus at the same price point as the X debuted at this year.

So is my iPhone 6. The good news is that something with the apple update today absolutely wrecked my phone so Sprint is giving me a new (refurbished) phone. That should last me another 6 months until that one craps out.

I'm not paying $1,000 for a phone that doesn't have a f***ing headphone jack. I charge my phone at night and also fall asleep to music/netflix. Can't do both with only one port. Yes I am still pissed about that. f*** you Apple.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
So is my iPhone 6. The good news is that something with the apple update today absolutely wrecked my phone so Sprint is giving me a new (refurbished) phone. That should last me another 6 months until that one craps out.

I'm not paying $1,000 for a phone that doesn't have a ****ing headphone jack. I charge my phone at night and also fall asleep to music/netflix. Can't do both with only one port. Yes I am still pissed about that. **** you Apple.
There’s a $15 adapter that lets you charge and use headphones

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Oh they are always making money. lol. But if you did the installment you still own it, you just don't pay them up front for the cost of it. Would you rather give someone $800 now or over two years for something? Yeah you can't trade in a broken phone but..... if you bought an X for $1100 and break it what do you have? I don't get the question. I have insurance for this very reason. If something goes wrong with it other than a broken screen you are always within the warranty with Apple so no, it's not on you.

Think of this way, you pay $1,100 for the X. What is it worth on the resale market in 1 year? It's so close it's not worth it to buy it out and resell it. Tech products are always depreciating assets... and rather quickly. You're taking a 50% hit about the 1st year you own it.
No... you don't own it. That's the whole point. You don't own it until you pay for all of it.

I know they are always making money no matter what but these 'keep giving us money and trading in your phone' plans means they are making a lot more profit because they ultimately give you no product AND they get the device you used back so they can re-sell it or send it out as a refurb to someone who broke theirs and had insurance or something.

It's only "not on you" if you pay even MORE money for the insurance. So you are basically paying insurance for something you don't even own or will never own because you are going to trade it in. That's just silly to me.

If I bought an X, a year later I can re-sell it for A LOT more than half of it's value which is essentially what you are doing when you trade in with 50% paid off. All those plans are is assuring the company you are with that you will keep giving THEM the money and the most you get is half the price of your current phone, which is exactly why they say you have to pay half of it off before you can exchange it for another phone but you won't ever own it or the next phone you get as long as you keep trading them in.

Lets say I buy an X for $1,100. Next year the X2 or whatever comes out. I can re-sell that on ebay and will probably get around $850-$950 for it. So I then spent at worst $250 to have the phone for a year. Where as you will pay $550 just for the convenience of not having to sell it yourself and you also guarantee whatever company you are with that you will be constantly giving them money for the next phone.

Think of it like this...
Lets say you spent 50% on iPhones 6($400), 6s($400), 7($400) and X($1,00)
So at that point you have spent $1750 and own none of those.

Where as I spent $3,500 but I own all 4 phones and end up getting about 80-85% of their value in resale so I make around $3,000.

Just spent $500 over the past 5 years total and I always owned the latest iPhone. That's why they push those plans so hard. They make a lot more money on those than selling phones outright.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You're missing my point. At any time you can pay it off and own it. You ALWAYS have that option. You are paying all the money up front with no other option other than to own it. Let's say the X is a disaster, FACE ID never works or something. You don't know what you can sell it for a year from now. That's speculative and I know right now if I paid off my 7 and sold it, it's pretty much a wash. If some reason the X is way over next year I will pay it off and sell it. We both pay the same amount - you're just giving them all their money up front.

You are correct by trading in every year you are paying a decent amount in phone's but the trade off is the new phone every year. A large portion of my bill is expensed through work so I could care less.

As far as insurance, I would insure my phone regardless if i paid for it upfornt or not. It's more than worth it.

I have been buying and selling iPhones for years now and I never received 90% value after 1 year. Never. 60% would be great. Go check what the 7 is going for on Ebay and account for fees. It's like 50%. If it wasn't I would buy and sell it and get the X but it's not worth the hassel. Your numbers as far as 50% are above what I paid on the 6 and 7, the X I'm sure is a typo. The values you claim to be receiving on Ebay are nuts. There are new in the box 7's on there for $400. I might get $350 for mine but after fees I'm in the red. You really think someone is going to buy a used X for 80% of what it retailed for a year ago with a new one coming out?

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I completely understand / understood that you have the option of owning / paying off from the beginning. It was irrelevant to what my points were about paying off 50% and trading in every year.

I personally have never insured my phone. I have never broken a screen or caused enough damage to where insurance would have been useful. The $ I have saved without paying insurance for years would more than cover if I were to break my phone anytime soon by now.

Resale's not 50% at all unless you just want to get rid of it, don't care or there is something wrong with the device. I think you are just trying to justify not putting in the effort of selling your own device. The ones I am looking at in good condition with no blemishes are selling at 75-80% of their value from retail when they were brand new. Heck even ATT, Best Buy, Verizon and Sprint will give you close to 50% of the value on trade in if you own the device. So really, that's another blow to being on one of those pay forever and never own a phone programs. It's completely pointless for someone like me to do that.

Like I said in the beginning, different strokes for different folks. What you do works for you and I get why some people do it - it's convenient and sounds like a good deal, but it makes no sense for me since I would be losing money doing one of those programs. Like I said above... I have spent about $500 over the past 4 years on all of the latest and greatest iPhones and I have owned each one of them. Where as someone on those programs has spent over $1,750 after paying 50% and trading in and didn't own a single one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad