Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Your phone sometimes contains backups of previous phones and it uses up your storage. Get rid of them in iCloud management.

Black Friday deals, $300 gift card from
Wal-Mart on all iPhones including X with new 2 year contract from ATT or Verizon

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
And like a tech junkie, I bought a 2017 iPad this morning, on BB's website, and picked it up in store, the cover I ordered won't be here until next week or something, but anyhow, it came with iOS 11 OOTB, and it seems pretty decent, I like the dock and rotation of apps, seems more iPad-ish that way. Signed into my iCloud fairly quickly, and don't have to worry about iTunes (hooray).

The latest iOS update is taking forever though, and not liking the overlay that covers everything.

However, either I typed in my 5 GHz password wrong every time, but it wouldn't connect, 2.4 it is.

What's a good suggestion of apps (for a longtime Android/Windows 10 user)? I'm thinking I'll download Chrome, and a few Google apps like Keep and Photos, but beyond that, I've only installed Polycom Real presence (it's a video conferencing app, thinking I may have to use it for testimony at times, and the Windows program costs money and isn't very good).

Will probably add the Kindle app too.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I ended up caving. Bought an Apple Watch. I bought the cheap version of the Series 3 to try it out. Realized that I used it quite a bit but nowhere near enough to have major battery issues. I ended up getting nearly 3 days on a charge with mild notification checking and step tracking.

So I then returned the Watch and ended up buying the stainless steel version. I figured I'd try the watch out initially and return it for the stainless version if I liked it (I did not like the weight on the aluminum version as it felt like a toy; plus I'm not a fan of non-sapphire glass on a watch).

Really impressed with the stainless Series 3. I admit that I don't use the features all that much, but it's a really nice piece of tech and I already use my phone less. Much easier to check a new email at the office or a text really quickly rather than having to rudely pull out my phone to look.

Not going to bother with LTE. I see no need for it as I have my phone on my 24/7. Maybe I end up revisiting that in the future, so it's nice to have the option of using it at least.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And like a tech junkie, I bought a 2017 iPad this morning, on BB's website, and picked it up in store, the cover I ordered won't be here until next week or something, but anyhow, it came with iOS 11 OOTB, and it seems pretty decent, I like the dock and rotation of apps, seems more iPad-ish that way. Signed into my iCloud fairly quickly, and don't have to worry about iTunes (hooray).

The latest iOS update is taking forever though, and not liking the overlay that covers everything.

However, either I typed in my 5 GHz password wrong every time, but it wouldn't connect, 2.4 it is.

What's a good suggestion of apps (for a longtime Android/Windows 10 user)? I'm thinking I'll download Chrome, and a few Google apps like Keep and Photos, but beyond that, I've only installed Polycom Real presence (it's a video conferencing app, thinking I may have to use it for testimony at times, and the Windows program costs money and isn't very good).

Will probably add the Kindle app too.

I personally love Flipboard.

MM Mobile 17 is a blast if you like GM simulation type games. You are an F1 team owner (well, a fake version of F1). It's so much fun.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I’ve seen a shockingly high amount of X’s in the hands of other students.

Shouldn't be shocking. There's as many Ferrari's being driven by students at either of the two universities in my city than there is by everyone else. It's because for every "poor student", there's another one whose parents are bankrolling their entire school experience with brand new MacBook Pro's, expensive apartments, designer clothes, and of course, the most up to date gadgets like iPhones.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Shouldn't be shocking. There's as many Ferrari's being driven by students at either of the two universities in my city than there is by everyone else. It's because for every "poor student", there's another one whose parents are bankrolling their entire school experience with brand new MacBook Pro's, expensive apartments, designer clothes, and of course, the most up to date gadgets like iPhones.

I have a fairly good feel for these students and I’m pretty sure that’s not the case here.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm sure whether they have rich parents or are working to support their way through college, they are tech-savvy and are early adopters by nature. Makes perfect sense. No negative stereotypes required.

It is. You don’t see legions of MacBooks at every university in the West because their users are tech savvy and early adopters. I very much doubt that the majority of iPhone X buyers understand why it’s technologically important, let alone college students who have and always will cling to trends and what their peers deem “cool.”

Let’s not overestimate the motivations behind their actions. “They” bought it because they thought it was cool and wanted to be seen with it. Doesn’t have to be more complex than that.

I have a fairly good feel for these students and I’m pretty sure that’s not the case here.

Let me guess, they’re all mature, well-cultured young adults who want to make the world a better place and are not swayed by peer pressure let alone beholden to its magical influence.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Geez, man. Maybe they just like the phone and can adjust their finances (or their parents, haha) to prioritize it. I wouldn’t attribute it to peer pressure and self-centeredness by default. Maybe it’s their first big purchase, the way a car was mine. Seems wrong to stereotype them.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Not to change the topic of discussion, but can anyone tell me if you can wake the 8/8+ with force touch, or is that only available on the X? I use my phone as an iPod mostly, and just poking the screen to wake it to change songs would be pretty damn useful. Just curious.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So my wife and I exchanged iwatch series 1 with eachother. Got it for $180 after tax. Really cool little device. Compared it to the Series 3 and what we will be using it for and how we are using it, the almost double price wasnt worth it.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I've been using the Series 1 for about 6 months now and I like it. For me, it's a nice compliment to the phone. I mainly just use it to check notifications when I'm in a meeting or church.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well just tell us your trade secrets on how you're getting so much in resale... The market does not indicate anything close to what you're saying. If it was the case, again nobody would ever trade in.
Ebay guaranteed me that I would get $650 for my iPhone 7 Plus and will send me a check for the difference if it doesn't sell for that.

BIG secret haha.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Ebay guaranteed me that I would get $650 for my iPhone 7 Plus and will send me a check for the difference if it doesn't sell for that.

BIG secret haha.

7 Pluses are in huge demand, especially the 256 gb version that Apple stopped selling. I almost had one for $850 CDN but it fell through. So I can corroborate what you say. I was hunting for a couple months.

There’s a huge glut of 5s, 6/+, and 6s/+ models on the used market, that have far outpaced demand as people look to upgrade, but the 7/+ pickings are slim, and prices are oddly close to the retail prices at Apple.

I eventually gave up and ordered an X last night. My 6+ is just too slow, the 6s+ isn’t enough of an upgrade, the 7+ is holding its value as mentioned, and the 8+ is probably the best value out there, but it supposedly won’t be sold next year (I think it should) and therefore its resale value *might* take a hit.

I wish I’d bought a 7+ used before the market was flooded with older phones. Prices were a lot lower for the 7+ then.

Reactions: Lancer

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Posted this in the Deals and Steals thread, but figured there may not be much overlap between the two threads:

Anybody have any thoughts on an Apple iPhone 7+ with 256 GB for $25/month for 24 months from Verizon today?

I've been holding out for a decent deal on an 8/8+ this season, but that might be too good to pass up.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Posted this in the Deals and Steals thread, but figured there may not be much overlap between the two threads:

Anybody have any thoughts on an Apple iPhone 7+ with 256 GB for $25/mo from Verizon today?

I've been holding out for a decent deal on an 8/8+ this season, but that might be too good to pass up.

How many months is the financing?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yep...great deal. I quickly checked out AT&T and they only have 128 GB 7+, and that's $26/month for 30 months.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think you miss the point I was making... You don't have to hold the phone a certain way or look at it a certain way to unlock it.

From the time you decide you need to unlock your phone to the time it's unlocked - Fingerprint is faster. If were talking about how fast the phone reads your face and unlocks it vs how fast it reads your fingerprint and unlocks it, it's marginal and just about instant on both. Like your articles say, it's just as fast... if done correctly.

What I am saying is my phone is on my desk or in my pocket. I can unlock it noticeably faster because I don't have to look at it to unlock it. AKA, you can get into your phone faster once you decide you want to use your phone.
Kind of backing up what I said here

Is Face ID actually faster than Touch ID? This scientific test finds out

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Between the X and the 8/8+, it's a dead heat. On my 6+ though - super slow.

After spending a day with the X, I get the reason Apple went with the Face ID. Automatic in-app authentification. That's the game-changer.

Most of the other improvements I've noticed have more to do with the fact I upgraded from a three-year old device, so even things like Force Touch are all new.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Meanwhile I’ve just resigned myself to iOS 11 being a piece of crap and pray for iOS 12 to be more about stability and bug fixes than new shiny features. Apple has really lost its way in terms of stability with this update, imo.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
No issues at all for me with 11.1.2

Switched from Samsung S6 to Iphone 8 two weeks ago, love it so far and happy I made the switch.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad