Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I completely understand / understood that you have the option of owning / paying off from the beginning. It was irrelevant to what my points were about paying off 50% and trading in every year.

I personally have never insured my phone. I have never broken a screen or caused enough damage to where insurance would have been useful. The $ I have saved without paying insurance for years would more than cover if I were to break my phone anytime soon by now.

Resale's not 50% at all unless you just want to get rid of it, don't care or there is something wrong with the device. I think you are just trying to justify not putting in the effort of selling your own device. The ones I am looking at in good condition with no blemishes are selling at 75-80% of their value from retail when they were brand new. Heck even ATT, Best Buy, Verizon and Sprint will give you close to 50% of the value on trade in if you own the device. So really, that's another blow to being on one of those pay forever and never own a phone programs. It's completely pointless for someone like me to do that.

Like I said in the beginning, different strokes for different folks. What you do works for you and I get why some people do it - it's convenient and sounds like a good deal, but it makes no sense for me since I would be losing money doing one of those programs. Like I said above... I have spent about $500 over the past 4 years on all of the latest and greatest iPhones and I have owned each one of them. Where as someone on those programs has spent over $1,750 after paying 50% and trading in and didn't own a single one of them.

How do you figure you're getting 75-80% on Ebay for a year old phone with a new one out within $100 of that price. I just don't buy it. I just checked and 7's are going for $400 but their new in the box. What would I get for my used one then? If I buy it out and sell, after fees I'm in the red. It makes no sense. Not putting effort? What other effort do you put in listing your phone on Ebay...lol. I post pics, details ect. and even paid to have it listed before other items. Still never got close to 75%

You're either an Ebay genius or boosting your sales numbers to prove a point. I know there are other with experience selling iPhones posting in here. I would love to hear your feedback. In all my years of selling them, using multiple sites and options it was never close to what you're saying other than the time where there was high demand over seas.

People are not idiots, if there was a large variance they would all buy them out and resell them . You can get my exact phone from Apple at $549 new. It's not a ton of wiggle room for profit on Ebay

Insurance is only good when you use it. I have used mine twice and it saved me over 1K. One was a defect in the phone mic just out of warranty. Apple wouldn't cover it. The insurance is like $100 per year..... The X is like $1,100 to replace. I think I'm going to insure it.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
So is my iPhone 6. The good news is that something with the apple update today absolutely wrecked my phone so Sprint is giving me a new (refurbished) phone. That should last me another 6 months until that one craps out.

I'm not paying $1,000 for a phone that doesn't have a ****ing headphone jack. I charge my phone at night and also fall asleep to music/netflix. Can't do both with only one port. Yes I am still pissed about that. **** you Apple.

iOS 11.1? It's absolutely wreaking havoc on my 6s. I was hoping to see through to the end of my contract in March 2019 but I might have to buy it out next year when the next X is released. The app store doesn't even f***ing open sometimes. I've had to force reboot it (power + home button) about 10 times since I updated to 11.1. It's absolutely maddening.

I have AppleCare, so I might take it in and see if I can get a new 6s or something to hold me over. I don't even know if it covers software, though.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You act like I have never done this. I am not upset with how you want to pay for phones you will never own. What I do for myself works. We can argue all day but I know what I get for my phones. I have explained my point multiple times and if you look at the numbers / value - I get a lot for the money I pay. No insurance, buy outright and resell. Not as easy but saves A TON of money and I own my phones. We can keep jammering at each other but in the end to each their own.

Not sure why you need so much reassurance or why you are trying to say my way is wrong or something when its obviously not. I won't say your way is wrong because it works for you.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You act like I have never done this. I am not upset with how you want to pay for phones you will never own. What I do for myself works. We can argue all day but I know what I get for my phones. I have explained my point multiple times and if you look at the numbers / value - I get a lot for the money I pay. No insurance, buy outright and resell. Not as easy but saves A TON of money and I own my phones. We can keep jammering at each other but in the end to each their own.

Not sure why you need so much reassurance or why you are trying to say my way is wrong or something when its obviously not. I won't say your way is wrong because it works for you.

Well just tell us your trade secrets on how you're getting so much in resale... The market does not indicate anything close to what you're saying. If it was the case, again nobody would ever trade in.

I appreciate working the system to pay the least possible. I did it for years with contract phones after two years, pay $200, sell old one for $300. Look at the price of the 7 on Ebay today for used ones... your math is just not working out. I do see value with people that are able to keep their phones for years but that's not what this discussion is about. Of course I would sell my phone if it only depreciated 75 or 80% but that's not reality. Let's not forget Ebay is taking almost 10% depending on payment method.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
iOS 11.1? It's absolutely wreaking havoc on my 6s. I was hoping to see through to the end of my contract in March 2019 but I might have to buy it out next year when the next X is released. The app store doesn't even ****ing open sometimes. I've had to force reboot it (power + home button) about 10 times since I updated to 11.1. It's absolutely maddening.

I have AppleCare, so I might take it in and see if I can get a new 6s or something to hold me over. I don't even know if it covers software, though.

I would take it in. It did the same thing to my 7. Just a mess.

So the X. I finally got it to activate by switching sims and Apple's servers freed up. The process in kind of like the watch now where you put the camera of your old phone on the blob and it imports everything over.

Face ID is quick but I have not tried it outside. Holding the phone towards my face is going to take some getting used to. Screen is great. The bump, all the aps seem to just fit around with the time and wifi/signal bar on the corners. I don't really notice it. Youtube will need an update because they are letter boxing stuff.

I didn't have the plus so it's big for me. Seems like the OS is really smooth, probably optimized for it and why the previous phones are having issues. It's loud too... on the phone and speakers.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
UPS is f***ing incompetent in Silicon Valley apparently because a lot of people are having issues with delivery

My X has been sitting in UPS warehouse since 3am this morning

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Apple really should have built the Touch ID into the enlarged power button, like the Razer Phone has. Only allowing one Face ID really limits the phone’s functionality among multiple users.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
A lot of iPhone X users already reporting easily cracked screens.
Same as with the S8

Those bezelless phones are fragile as f***

I'm an Android guy, but if I were to get an iPhone I would get the 8.

I prefer bezelly phones and touch ID

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
A lot of iPhone X users already reporting easily cracked screens.
Same as with the S8

Those bezelless phones are fragile as ****

I'm an Android guy, but if I were to get an iPhone I would get the 8.

I prefer bezelly phones and touch ID

People are that clumsy that they are cracking the screen on day 1??? :skeptic:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
$359 for cracked screen replacement in Canada. $709 to replace the rear glass. Those are out-of-warranty prices. Holy. Buy the AppleCare+, folks.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'd say the X without the case is about the same as the 7 for handling. Face ID, I would say it's sometimes faster than touch to unlock and sometimes slower depending on the situation. Touch on my phone would sometimes get gummed up. if you want to unlock your phone from distance and not looking at it it's a problem. Otherwise it's seamless.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well just tell us your trade secrets on how you're getting so much in resale... The market does not indicate anything close to what you're saying. If it was the case, again nobody would ever trade in.

I appreciate working the system to pay the least possible. I did it for years with contract phones after two years, pay $200, sell old one for $300. Look at the price of the 7 on Ebay today for used ones... your math is just not working out. I do see value with people that are able to keep their phones for years but that's not what this discussion is about. Of course I would sell my phone if it only depreciated 75 or 80% but that's not reality. Let's not forget Ebay is taking almost 10% depending on payment method.
Its really not that complicated. You just seem in denial and want to argue or something. Where I accept your way works for you but not me you still just for some reason feel like you need to prove something.

You think an iPhone a year old is worth half of its origional value. Thats what it boils down to and what you want to continue to argue. It's simply not and its very easy to get more than half its value when its a year old.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Its really not that complicated. You just seem in denial and want to argue or something. Where I accept your way works for you but not me you still just for some reason feel like you need to prove something.

You think an iPhone a year old is worth half of its origional value. Thats what it boils down to and what you want to continue to argue. It's simply not and its very easy to get more than half its value when its a year old.

Dude, it's pretty simple. Check ebay for iPhone 7 sales and get back to us. Unless you have the red limited edition you are getting less than half after fees. You have to post any proof of these 80% resales even when asked to. I'm not in denial, I'm telling it like it is. You are posting faulty information in here to justify buying it out right. I have posted average sales numbers for the 7 and what Apple is actually selling it for now. I have no issue with your choice to do but please stop with the nonsense.

This is what my 7 is selling for now. Between $300 and $350. It was over $700 last year at launch.

https://www.ebay.com/i/142472708756?chn=ps&var=441469387099&dispItem=1

How do you explain this? I'd prefer your method and make some money back but the fact of the matter is your math doesn't check out.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I could probably sell my 6s 128 GB for $450 or so here on Kijiji in Canada. That seems to be the going rate.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Is that US or Canadian $$$ Would it be worth it with shipping for someone in the US to do so. What are the fees if any?
Canadian. That might be the reason but I can’t imagine currency differences affecting the second hand market like that.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Canadian. That might be the reason but I can’t imagine currency differences affecting the second hand market like that.

Yeah a refurb or used like that is $280 on Ebay here. Factory unlocked phones seem to get a $100 premium and I assume their new. That's the problem with selling your phone here. Maybe all the cell companies are selling their phones there from trade ins. The 50% is not a hard cost for them. They are making $$$ on your service plan.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Dude! Your link is from someone shipping from Hong Kong with quite afew very bad feedback reviews. Buying from someone verified and local is the only way to go so you dont get it in the butt.

You just don't get it and all you want to do is argue where as I see both sides. I can keep saying the same thing over and over but you don't get it.

Undamaged (aka "like new" or actually new) last gen iphones are going for around $200-$300 more than half their retail value from a year ago. From VERIFIED, LOCAL sellers that have fantastic reviews.

Plus, lots of other places besides ebay lol.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Dec 2 i will have my Iphone X :)

Traded in my iphone 7 and it's the same price monthly from Verizon. So i'm basically upgrading for free!

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Dude! Your link is from someone shipping from Hong Kong with quite afew very bad feedback reviews. Buying from someone verified and local is the only way to go so you dont get it in the butt.

You just don't get it and all you want to do is argue where as I see both sides. I can keep saying the same thing over and over but you don't get it.

Undamaged (aka "like new" or actually new) last gen iphones are going for around $200-$300 more than half their retail value from a year ago. From VERIFIED, LOCAL sellers that have fantastic reviews.

Plus, lots of other places besides ebay lol.

Move the goalposts again. You are just giving people on here bad advice now and it's wrong. I was considering buying out my phone and selling it but I would LOSE money. It would cost me to do so. You also stated specifically Ebay but if there are other sites we can get more for our used phones, why wouldn't you share it. If you check iPhone 7's across Ebay or even start listing it like I did it will tell you what the average sale price is in good condition. $325.00. That's with free shipping and some of those phones include Applecare. I can't compete with that. By the way $300 over half their value is almost full price. LOL

Now it might be different in Canada or if you're willing to ship overseas. IDK. I still have the option to sell my 7 and while you tell me I can get xxx $$$ for it I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Has anyone on here sold their 7 on Ebay recently?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00